Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

It isn't fully post-scarcity, since there are still things that can't be replicated (like dilithium, the bajoran orbs, or latinum).

I could definitely see a ferengi economy that fundamentally is based on 'who owns the spaceships'.
The existence of unique objects don't seem to be a fundamental obstacle to something being "post scarcity." I don't know exactly how the term is used in airy-fairy sci fi economics discussions of course.

The spaceship ownership makes sense, though, Quark seemed unusually strutting when he got a ship for an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nessus posted:

The existence of unique objects don't seem to be a fundamental obstacle to something being "post scarcity." I don't know exactly how the term is used in airy-fairy sci fi economics discussions of course.

The spaceship ownership makes sense, though, Quark seemed unusually strutting when he got a ship for an episode.

I think that had more to do with how he didn't have to pay for it since it was from a cousin finally repaying a debt.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Post-scarcity usually just means that stuff is so easy and cheap to produce that it basically has no value. You can still have scarce strategic resources that necessitate the existence of international trade, etc. It's more that basic stuff (and in Star Trek's case, probably most luxury goods too) is so readily available that it doesn't make sense to assign any particular value to it. Star Trek is definitely post-scarcity, at least from the TNG era on.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Cojawfee posted:

How would you tax popularity? You have to publicly say you like someone less popular once a month or something?

Edit: You have to lose some of your popularity by endorsing something you or your fans disagree with. At higher popularity tax rates, you have to say "Maybe the Romulans had some good ideas?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4kiPaKfAE

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Doing another DS9 run.

Eat poo poo and die, Red Squad.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ok so I just started up The Next Generation, I'm going post some of my random thoughts of the episodes I've seen so far so you guys can laugh at them.

Encounter At Farpoint:

Q owns. He spent too long on the dumb judge gag though, telling the crew to go back to Earth to take out the Commie menace was funnier.

Not sure how I feel about Picard yet. He seems a bit all over the place in this episode. He makes the ship separate to protect the civilians who live on it for some reason then forces Riker to reconnect the ship by sight alone which is insane. Patrick Stewart rules though, he looks so young here it's crazy.

It seems like they are setting up some reveal where Weslesy is Picard's son. There's that part where Picard tells Riker he's not a family man and doesn't get children which seems set up to be ironic and like the first thing he does when he sees Wesley is freak out and ask how old he is. Wesley also idolises Picard and the idea of being on a starship, commanding it etc etc. There definitely seems to more to his and Beverly's deal that him just knowing her husband in any case.

It's interesting that Picard seems to have essentially a psi-ops officer who hangs with him but she needs to learn to stop being affected by the minds she's reading so much.

Having a female security officer is pretty cool though she seems like a total psycho, not sure how she graduated the Academy.

Data owns. I like him hiding in the woods, trying to learn how to whistle. It's weird but also something a kid who didn't fit in might do. Of course he was the person to talk to Bones. It was cool seeing Bones again too, being his racist old self.

I don't like their uniforms.

I think I heard this episode is considered not that good by the fans? So it was funny that Picard straight up said "lets hope our other adventures are more exciting" at the end.

The Naked Now

So they are copying a TOS episode this early but at least they admitted it. Seems strange to do an episode where everyone acts different to normal before they really get established though.

Tasha straight up hosed Data what the hell?

Picard and Beverly were pretty funny trying very hard not to bang each other.

I liked Worf trying to bond with Data over humans being weird.

The ship gets taken over by a teenager, this crew has a lot to learn. The second engineer wasn't even infected when he decided letting some random civilian child take over his station was ok.

Riker got infected but never seemed to be affected, I guess he's just constantly getting wasted in his off duty time so he's used to it. Everyone else must be too uptight to party on the weekends, probably reading poetry or something.

Code of Honor

What the gently caress?

Seriously?

How is this more racist than any episode of TOS?

I can't believe this loving happened.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pwnstar posted:

Tasha straight up hosed Data what the hell?

Believe it or not, this lovely bit of TnA actually has pretty good emotional pay off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pwnstar posted:

Ok so I just started up The Next Generation, I'm going post some of my random thoughts of the episodes I've seen so far so you guys can laugh at them.

LOL

I don't disagree with a single thing you wrote but lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Congratulations, by watching The Naked Now and Code of Honor, you've already made it though the two worst episodes of the first season! I always like reading peoples' first reactions to episodes so I hope you keep it up.

(and Code of Honor is arguably the worst in the whole series)

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 4, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pwnstar posted:

Code of Honor

What the gently caress?

Seriously?

How is this more racist than any episode of TOS?

So I just wrapped up watching all of Stargate SG-1. The fourth episode of that show was written by the same person who wrote Code of Honor (which also strangely is the 4th episode of TNG)... and it has almost the exact same plot as Code of Honor. Just swap out the racist Planet of the Space Africans with a racist Planet of the Space Mongols.

It's like she had some sort of weird blood pact where if you were making a sci-fi show in the 80s or 90s you had to hire her to write her racist piece of poo poo story over again for your fourth episode.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zurui posted:

Are there any novels that explore what Federation politics are like? I know it's boring and all but there has to be some turbonerd that wrote two hundred pages on the proceedings of the Federation Council.
Oh, of course.
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Articles_of_the_Federation

quote:

Following the surprise resignation of Federation President Min Zife after the disastrous Tezwa affair, Nan Bacco of Cestus III has won a hotly contested election to become the new chief executive of over one hundred fifty planetary civilizations and their colonies. But no sooner does she take office than the Romulan Star Empire falls into chaos. With tensions already high, a Reman refugee ship is sighted approaching a Federation outpost, its intentions unknown.

As the first year of the Bacco Administration unfolds, the Federation Council is slow to work with its new president, and not always supportive of her policies or her appointments to key council positions; a successful first contact suddenly becomes a diplomatic disaster; and the sins of President Zife prove difficult to lay to rest...as one celebrated Starfleet officer's career reaches a turning point.
I've never read it, for obvious reasons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just became an admiral on Star Trek Online PS4 edition. I can tell you I'm just mired in political intrigue here in the Alpha Quadrant.
The Romulans For Remans movement is quite the powderkeg. And I hear the Klingons are making steps towards giving women the captaincy of old vessels.

Galaxy Class v Intrepid Class was quite the decision to make.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 4, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Am I late to the Trek Conservative discussion? To them, I don't think it's a matter of economics.

My explanation is that Trek traditionally (if you only look at the broad strokes without cherrypicking contradictory moments) depicts humanity and the federation as a society that already solved all of its problems with racism, sexism, prejudice, class, etc. That the slate was wiped clean and people moved on; not unlike how modern conservatives imagine that the Civil Rights and Women's Suffrage movements "solved" those issues in America and we shouldn't dwell on them anymore. And it's also reassuring that in Star Trek's future, most of the leadership seen on screen is still white male humans, so that unspoken hegemony is still validating when the Federation is explicitly an inclusive utopia.

It's more New Atheism conservatism than classic conservatism.

Of course, they would have to ignore lots of things, like how Captain Sisko identifies as an African American, etc.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 4, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that why so many people got soooo mad at Sisko "bringing up the race issue" because they love that in trek people don't talk about race anymore? You know, if you think about it the only reason there's still racism is because people like Brooks keep shoving white guilt down everyone's throats...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Knormal posted:

Oh, of course.
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Articles_of_the_Federation

I've never read it, for obvious reasons.

Oh my God this is amazing.

quote:

In the wake of the events of "Star Trek: Titan", in Book One: "Taking Wings", relations between the Federation, The Klingon Empire and the Romulans remain fragile. Refugees are requesting asylum within the Federation, requiring delicate negotiations whose outcome could prove as deadly as any starship combat. As public opinion about the continued tenability of the Federation/Klingon alliance goes south, Federation councillors unhappy with the solution brokered by Captain. Will Riker in Titan begin power plays of their own against the fledgling Bacco administration.

Might not be worth ten bucks though. I'll see if it shows up at any used bookstores.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

You know, if you think about it the only reason there's still racism is because people like Brooks keep shoving white guilt down everyone's throats...

I sincerely hope you're joking.

What the gently caress happened to this thread in the last few pages?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From the tone of the fellow I assume he was joshin' about

Baronjutter posted:

Is that why so many people got soooo mad at Sisko "bringing up the race issue" because they love that in trek people don't talk about race anymore? You know, if you think about it the only reason there's still racism is because people like Brooks keep shoving white guilt down everyone's throats...
I genuinely think that this is probably a factor in why DS9 seems to get critical acclaim but relatively little fan love. I don't think there's any like, specific hostility so much as that it has a statistically discernible impact on some sections of the nerd audience, which leads to DS9 being less popular despite being The Best.

What I found interesting is that there's a practical in-universe reason for why neither Geordi nor Uhura made much hay about it: Both of the characters are from Africa directly, while Sisko is an African American. Of course I'm sure they weren't planning things like the Benny Russell character.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zurui posted:

Might not be worth ten bucks though. I'll see if it shows up at any used bookstores.
I've read it..it's harmless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So without understanding humor, I have somehow mastered it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
From Memory Alpha

quote:

An idea for a Star Trek sitcom featuring Lwaxana Troi was suggested by Gene Roddenberry as a cable TV project for the Sci-Fi Channel in 1991. However, his death and the delay in setting up the channel shelved that.
Good God, that would have been a shitshow.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's My Bush eventually got made, though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Keiko bein' a bitch to Worf because he doesn't know poo poo about delivering human babies.

Poor Worf. :smith:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If I remember right, that gets a pretty cute little callback in DS9.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Some more episode thoughts for you guys. So far I'm not really getting strong feel for the show overall, everything feels very flat and sterile. It doesn't have the "heart" that TOS had, at least not yet.

The Last Outpost

So the Ferengi are weird. At the start of the episode everyone is wary of them because they are basically tech equivalent with the Federation and they are apparently ruthless traders which is interesting. Though they turn out to be a bunch of idiots scampering around and yelling even if they did clown the whole landing party with their lightning dildo whips. I like that that they thought the Prime Directive was hosed up and crazy because it is.

Data continues to rule by getting his fingers stuck in a Chinese finger trap and loving up his briefing as he tries to free himself. Riker's idea to gift the Ferengi a box of them at the end felt like a classic TOS ending gag which I liked.

Picard continues to be weird about French stuff to the confusion of everyone else. Apparently France has the correct order of Blue, White and Red as opposed to the dumb American way.

Where No One Has Gone Before

The Enterprise decides to let a man who is clearly agitated and possibly on drugs gently caress around with their engines even though they are pretty sure his ideas are nonsense. "What could go wrong?"

I like all the pretty stuff they see out the windows, just as an aside. They did a good job making pretty space things.

Wesley is the loving worst. Hopefully now that he's an ensign the crew will poo poo on him at every opportunity. The old dude making friends with this kid was a bit weird especially when he said he'd been searching for people like Wesley.

Its so weird that Tasha is from what so far has basically been described as a Rape Planet. Its so out of tone with everything else.

Lonely Among Us

When travelling through space the ship encounters a weird energy cloud. Picard decides to gently caress with it and things go wrong. Why is there not some Starfleet rule about messing with space clouds by now?

Picard gets taken over by an alien intelligence but the crew can't do anything because they can't go through proper protocol to take command. Why is there not some Starfleet rule to just punch out the Captain and sort it out later by now?

Data rules again, immediate reading every Sherlock Holmes story and smoking an absurd pipe while trying to solve the mystery as Riker laughs it up.

When they bring Picard back he doesn't remember what happened because they used his pattern from when he left or something like that. So.. Picard straight up died and they just kinda brought out the last backed up version? I know people joke about the transporters killing you every time you use them but that seems to be straight up what just happened.

I laughed when Tasha came in at the end to report that one of the peace delegates just murdered one of the others and Riker gets annoyed and tells her it can wait.

I'm disappointed with Troi's character. She's not really doing psi-ops stuff anymore, just saying incredibly obvious things about how the guy jumping up and down and yelling is feeling anger.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 4, 2016

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gonz posted:

Keiko bein' a bitch to Worf because he doesn't know poo poo about delivering human babies.

Poor Worf. :smith:
I would be kinda pissed too if I was squeezing a baby outta me

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I would be kinda pissed too if I was squeezing a baby outta me

What's her excuse the rest of the time

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ehhhh TNG Keiko is definitely a rote nagging wife archetype but she's pretty chill and cool in DS9, right?? Plus O'Brien seems like the kind of guy who needs a challenging wife

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cat Machine posted:

Ehhhh TNG Keiko is definitely a rote nagging wife archetype but she's pretty chill and cool in DS9, right?? Plus O'Brien seems like the kind of guy who needs a challenging wife

It's a little weird that she calmed down when she STARTED teaching, it's usually the opposite.

Perhaps she finally changed her tune on weed in the botany lab.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cat Machine posted:

I don't know if you've seen DS9 or not but she turns into an actual demon.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Zurui posted:

You know, I never quite thought of it, but they rarely ever go into how the civilian end of the Federation is run and it seems like Starfleet Captains and Admirals make all the big decisions.I think the last time we ever see the head of state of the Federation was in Star Trek VI.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I never quite thought of it, but they rarely ever go into how the civilian end of the Federation is run and it seems like Starfleet Captains and Admirals make all the big decisions.I think the last time we ever see the head of state of the Federation was in Star Trek VI.

There's a token alien president of the Federation on earth when martial law is declared in DS9.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if you've seen DS9 or not but she turns into an actual demon.

Well yeah but O'Brien got bad PTSD from life imprisonment, and then became a body-snatched replica in one episode

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Brawnfire posted:

It's a little weird that she calmed down when she STARTED teaching, it's usually the opposite.

Perhaps she finally changed her tune on weed in the botany lab.

IIRC it made her feel like she was doing something useful when the Dominion War was starting to heat up.

^^^

Or when he went deep cover and sentenced a his friend to death, or when he lost his daughter to a rift in time...

O'Brien must get poo poo on at least once per season, no exceptions.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well yeah but O'Brien got bad PTSD from life imprisonment

When I rewatched DS9 I just skipped that episode. Not because it was bad, but because it was just too goddamn depressing.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
O'Brien's whole life is depressing.

As an Irish guy, I can relate, and confirm this is accurate.

Also, typing this has made me remember the loving Bringlodi racist irish caricatures on TNG and now I'm loving pissed off about that again. gently caress you Gene

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

O'Brien's whole life is depressing.

As an Irish guy, I can relate, and confirm this is accurate.

Also, typing this has made me remember the loving Bringlodi racist irish caricatures on TNG and now I'm loving pissed off about that again. gently caress you Gene

Jeez, calm down, have a drink, take the edge off, you mick gently caress.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jeez, calm down, have a drink, take the edge off, you mick gently caress.

:smith:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The whole potato thing is kind of hilarious because we only associate the Irish with potatoes because the English stole all of the non-potato food so the Irish get a double poo poo upon whammy

Well, "hilarious"