Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Three is the best one actually.

Mad Dog Tannen. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Prequel apologists and Ring Theory proponents are such an alien concept to me that for awhile I was wondering if it was just a straw man Plinkett was using. So I looked in the CinD thread. Nope, it's all real. They were dismissing the idea of that the prequels might have problems like it was some absurd notion that had been so clearly decided long ago, what a silly thing to even bring up again.

So why do people defend them. i can understand liking them. i mean i like some parts of the prequels. but acting like its some hidden high art is insane and dumb. there is no deep meaning, the deepest it gets is "bush is rear end in a top hat retard poopyhead". i mean yeah i get it, people want to defend their childhoods. But I grew up with them too. I went to the loving Phillie premier of attack of the clones (yeah a kid with disabilities and hospital tickets) and i went with my best friend and its still a poo poo movie even with all the good memories. Hell i loving went to lucasranch for a make a wish and hosed around in the house and the prop storage place and i still think the prequels are poo poo. having good memories around something doesnt automatically make it high art.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 4, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Star Wars is cool universe and setting. I'd say its better fantasy than traditional fantasy because it doesn't rigidly define warriors and magic. The Sith are villains but introspective and represent a philosophical difference more than morally black. Heroes and rogues come in many variety. The Force is so vague that it is free from traditional religious baggage and paradoxes. The prequels are steeped in that universe. They are bad films but set in a mythology people enjoy.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
They aren't saying that it's good, they're saying that it's bad on purpose to mock the themes of the original star wars, and they are smart and good for "realizing" that. That way they can keep nitpicking and obsessing over pop culture while pretending to be real intellectuals that poo poo on dumb nerds.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

BttF isn't even good.

Yeah, it isn't good. It's great. And the best movie trilogy ever.

BTTF2 is the weakest of the three but BTTF3 brings it back with the old west.

I would say the original Ghostbusters is my other favorite movie but sadly I can't mention that movie without opening a huge can of worms and that sucks rear end. So I'm going to say the original Jurassic Park instead. There's no controversy around Jurassic World and the other sequels, everybody pretty much agrees they all suck except for the first one.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mulaney Power Move posted:

now if you want to see something really embarrassing, check out the last few pages of CD.

I tried. Jesus, it's getting worse.

This was a good post, though.

Vegg220 posted:

Outside of this carefully curated clown terrarium...

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

When's the next Plinkett review?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This was a good post, though.

He ate 6 hours for it. :lol:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mordja posted:

He ate 6 hours for it. :lol:

:patriot: Godspeed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Prequel apologists and Ring Theory proponents are such an alien concept to me that for awhile I was wondering if it was just a straw man Plinkett was using. So I looked in the CinD thread. Nope, it's all real. They were dismissing the idea of that the prequels might have problems like it was some absurd notion that had been so clearly decided long ago, what a silly thing to even bring up again.
tezzor is one of the worst posters on SA, but he's doing the lord's work by constantly telling them that the prequels are awful and getting banned for it

for a forum that leans so heavily on "death of the author" and interpreting things wildly, there sure is a lot of groupthink in cined

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I liked the lucas segments because the behind the scenes production stuff and sitting at tables talking about my imagination getting bought by disney and how it got ruined is cool and interesting.

Sad old men are good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

temple posted:

Star Wars is cool universe and setting. I'd say its better fantasy than traditional fantasy because it doesn't rigidly define warriors and magic. The Sith are villains but introspective and represent a philosophical difference more than morally black. Heroes and rogues come in many variety. The Force is so vague that it is free from traditional religious baggage and paradoxes. The prequels are steeped in that universe. They are bad films but set in a mythology people enjoy.

oh I agree. I love the setting and the universe even with the prequels and the stupid parts of the old EU. hell i even like some of the ideas and characters/settings in the prequels. the problem is the good is outweighed by the bad so much its sad.

get that OUT of my face posted:

tezzor is one of the worst posters on SA, but he's doing the lord's work by constantly telling them that the prequels are awful and getting banned for it

for a forum that leans so heavily on "death of the author" and interpreting things wildly, there sure is a lot of groupthink in cined

well they need to believe lucas is some magical super genius for some reason, instead of an ideas guy who made/helped create 3 great films then let it go to his head and then gently caress up and bungle 3 more because he got rid of anyone who challenged him and surrounded himself with lickspittles and yes men.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i don't know why he felt he had to respond to the ring theory article because why would anyone take that seriously enough to respond to?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lucas seems quite salty for someone who literally got paid a billion dollars by Disney.

e/ or maybe even more

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 4, 2016

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i wonder how many of those cd posters were actually old enough to remember the movies and how normal people reacted to them at the time.

referring to the phantom menace -- i was a teenager so i remember well enough that most people liked the special effects because all that cgi was still novel at the time, and people might have thought that it was good because it was star wars, but other than that no one thought it was a particularly good movie overall. i recall the general sentiment at the time among fans was that it was easily the worst star wars movie ever made and your average non star wars fan might have thought it was "not that bad" at best and "stupid" at worst. keep in mind that back then that a significant number of young people had never seen star wars. along with star trek, it was perceived as dumb poo poo for nerds by a lot of people. if you advertised yourself as a star wars fan in school, you probably got made fun of for it. star wars was nowhere near as ubiquitous as it is today, despite all the books and video games and poo poo you still had then.

the other two movies basically went under my radar because i was in college by then and i had other priorities. the main thing i remember is people thought revenge of the sith was better than the previous two. i do specifically remember the initial reaction on these forums being generally if not overwhelmingly positive, which in retrospect goes to show you how bad everyone thought the first two were by then.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlgpozN31s

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I was 19. The consensus on the ancient message boards of the time was that TPM was terrible but now that that's out of the way ep 2 would be good.

Then loving EVERYONE hated AotC across the much larger internet.

By 2005 the internet was ubiquitous and the entirety of the internet again thought AotC was the worst loving movie ever, but initially everyone seemed to like RotS because it was darker and actually had stuff happening.

It was a few months later that the high wore off and generally everyone considered the whole trilogy to be poo poo and the next 8 years were a collective exasperated cry for Lucas to eat a bag of dicks and release the original trilogy, unfucked, and to pass the torch to someone else.

Then Disney bought Star Wars and everyone panicked but thought we'd get the unfucked OT.

Then the TFW trailer came out and now we're in the worst possible alternate timeline where we still don't have the OT, the new movie is just meh, horrible loving nerds think the prequels are good, the field of 21 presidential candidates whittled down to two worst, the cool black president didn't legalize weed, and Deadpool was good while Batman vs Superman was a loving crime against entertainment.

I want to Butterfly Effect myself back to like June 2015 before this poo poo completely went off the rails and choose the timeline that's not hot piss.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

get that OUT of my face posted:

That's why cined has become one of the worst subforums on SA. It used to be just people talkin about movies but now it's full of people sucking eachothers dicks and jerking eachother off while they scream death of the author and claim that transformers movies and star wars prequels were some of the best movies ever made. Like, not ironically

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

It takes a lot of effort to be a contrarian and circlejerk each other over poo poo theories all the time, and CineD sadly confuses that effort with brains. They're really desperate to go against the grain and demonstrate their edgy interpretations of bad CGI movies starring talking lizard people made for six year olds. I'm actually glad that forum exists because it's a good way to segregate the pseudo-intellectual contrarian retards. It's funny that CineD tries so hard to seem smart that they end up going in the complete opposite direction that they'll believe anything.

The Ring Theory is especially stupid because Lucas only co-wrote the movies and didn't direct two of them. How would he plan out every shot so they would eventually line up with other movies made decades later when he wasn't even the person filming them? Was Lucas there seven days a week dictating to Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand where to put the camera? Fuuuuuck off.

Plus there are plenty of interviews where Lucas admits he made up a lot of the major plot points off the top of his head right before production. Luke and Leia originally weren't supposed to be related until ROTJ, Darth Vader wasn't supposed to be the same person as Anakin Skywalker until ESB (or ROTJ really), Lucas retconned the death of Queen Whatsherface between Episode III and ROTJ, etc. If Lucas were such a brilliant visionary why couldn't he keep his own storylines straight?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are they serious about droid rights?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i wonder how many of those cd posters were actually old enough to remember the movies and how normal people reacted to them at the time.

referring to the phantom menace -- i was a teenager so i remember well enough that most people liked the special effects because all that cgi was still novel at the time, and people might have thought that it was good because it was star wars, but other than that no one thought it was a particularly good movie overall. i recall the general sentiment at the time among fans was that it was easily the worst star wars movie ever made and your average non star wars fan might have thought it was "not that bad" at best and "stupid" at worst. keep in mind that back then that a significant number of young people had never seen star wars. along with star trek, it was perceived as dumb poo poo for nerds by a lot of people. if you advertised yourself as a star wars fan in school, you probably got made fun of for it. star wars was nowhere near as ubiquitous as it is today, despite all the books and video games and poo poo you still had then.

the other two movies basically went under my radar because i was in college by then and i had other priorities. the main thing i remember is people thought revenge of the sith was better than the previous two. i do specifically remember the initial reaction on these forums being generally if not overwhelmingly positive, which in retrospect goes to show you how bad everyone thought the first two were by then.

The general concencus with everyone I knew, of which none were star wars fans, was that the prequels were really really bad movies. Unfunny, badly acted, badly paced, badly plotted boring and embarrassing at points

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zzulu posted:

That's why cined has become one of the worst subforums on SA. It used to be just people talkin about movies but now it's full of people sucking eachothers dicks and jerking eachother off while they scream death of the author and claim that transformers movies and star wars prequels were some of the best movies ever made. Like, not ironically

Even if it's some ad hoc performance art and every single one of them is being the most ironic a human being has ever been I want them up against the wall.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the best things about RLM is their seething hatred of "youtube culture" bubbling behind nearly all their videos. I love them as this "Captain Disillusion" guy for that.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Even if it's some ad hoc performance art and every single one of them is being the most ironic a human being has ever been I want them up against the wall.

It's the same mindset as when high school kids stop listening to certain bands if the bands become more mainstream or famous. Now that they're popular it isn't cool to like them anymore, even when the music itself is perfectly fine and nothing else has changed.

This is just the millennial hipster film equivalent. Most rational human beings who possess eyes and ears sincerely regret wasting two to six hours of the their lives witnessing awful CGI robot fights and tin-ear dialogue.

The masses must be wrong, however, so we must find a way to praise those movies and stand out from the crowd and seem smart, no matter if it takes ridiculous "ring theories" and other bullshit that makes us look stupid and crazy!

It's really transparent and sad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When Christopher Lee died I was watching some youtubes of him and came across his star wars stuff. It was in HD and holy gently caress it looked bad and cheap. Those movies have not aged well, it felt like watching Babylon 5 or something, except at least that show had real sets between the horrific CG.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I think I'll like the Ring Theory stuff more on a rewatch partly because it's pretty much the RLM version of the SMG/Koos post.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zzulu posted:

i admit that SMG's gimmick is entertaining in very small doses, but it gets old after five posts. then you have everyone else in the forum attempting it without the charm. it's nigh impossible to read. d&d has the same problems but at least the regional/national news & politics threads can be good news resources

Baronjutter posted:

One of the best things about RLM is their seething hatred of "youtube culture" bubbling behind nearly all their videos. I love them as this "Captain Disillusion" guy for that.
i dunno what "youtube culture" is but if it involves hating those videos with a cut every two seconds, then sign me up

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
notice how real rlm hates youtube culture while pre-rectum embodies stream culture.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
CinD is still astounding to me. How can you be so loving oblivious that you're a constant laughing stock? Like do those posted just never look outside of CinD ever?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I liked the little shout out to Lucas with the whole "Hey, we'd love to talk to you, come to Milwaukee!" :shobon:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wicker Man posted:

I liked the little shout out to Lucas with the whole "Hey, we'd love to talk to you, come to Milwaukee!" :shobon:

Max Landis: So uh...Milwaukee's like a real place. Huh.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

CinD is still astounding to me. How can you be so loving oblivious that you're a constant laughing stock? Like do those posted just never look outside of CinD ever?

this is the first thing in the first post of their rules thread:

so, basically, yes, it's a giant loving circlejerk of idiots who are sucking each others' e-cocks. A circle-suck? Whatever the term for it is.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

proof of concept posted:

this is the first thing in the first post of their rules thread:

so, basically, yes, it's a giant loving circlejerk of idiots who are sucking each others' e-cocks. A circle-suck? Whatever the term for it is.

Oh my god. I like to break things down and analyse it too, but then there is having your own nose stuck up your rear end.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to point out that actual ring theory is an important mathematical concept underlying a lot of abstract algebra and I hope that this star wars prequel apologist crap fades away without too many people permanently associating the term "ring theory" with bad pseudo-intellectual film criticism for dipshits as opposed to a real thing with real mathematical scholarship behind it because that would be a real shame.

I mean, in the long term, that obviously won't happen, because math is more important than star wars prequels so it will win out, but I just am annoyed in the meantime that the film criticism ring theory thing is even a thing at all because HOLY poo poo is it ever retarded.

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 4, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The clickbait deconstruction bit was top notch.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's not as good as the Prequel Reviews, I admit that, but I appreciate the time that was spent pointing out the way a lot of people in the last few years have been sort of revisiting things like the Prequels, Ghostbusters, Trek, the Original Trilogy, etc. and sort of telling everyone "they're actually secretly really great/garbage films and franchises because..."

So when you hear complaints like "The OT is really garbage that people only think is good because of nostalgia...", maybe it's true. But on the other hand, the fanbase for the OT was sort of willing to admit that there WAS a weak film in the OT, that it wasn't flawless, there were problems but despite that it worked.

I sort of get it, though. The prequels are an easy thing to sort of defend because you can also point out that no matter how much people allegedly hated them, they all made a ton of money, they all sold a lot of toys, the franchise didn't simply 'die' for the next decade and vanish once it was done, etc.

I think it also pointed out the sort of difference in the attitudes of the people involved, too. The interview stuff with the New Trilogy cast and creators and even Lucas makes it feel like they're all really trying to overemphasize how important and great these characters and the universe and influence is. Meanwhile, I think back to the Prequel Trilogy era and the Jackson and MacGregor (and it's a big deal, and it's been a LONG time since I saw any of them talking about it in interviews) but I seem to recall them being a lot more aloof and almost nonchalant about being in Star Wars or how significant it was.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 4, 2016

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you disagree with their opinions and interpretations, or criticize the posters directly, then you must be the one who is wrong. It's very easy to smell your own wet farts 24/7 and call it caviar that way.

I wonder how many of them actually appreciate classic films like Casablanca or Citizen Kane on the basis of writing, cinematography, and acting, without also shoehorning in batshit ideas about gay tension between Rick and Sam.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think that's maybe one of the reasons that whenever a movie thread starts up in GBS or something that they seem to do pretty well. People seem to be a lot more casual (for the most part) about film talk in other forums, even when they disagree.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Sometimes I wonder if the posting culture there might involve using forced intellectual arguments just so you can be part of the discussion. Kind of like how old DND required you to talk as if your smoking a bubble pipe, or old Games where you gotta make a wall of text involving number crunching formulas before your posts are ever to be read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
At some point in the near future "star wars scholasticism" will be a real degree offered in many different higher education establishments, and about as useful as a pop culture degree. Only less dignified.

• Locked thread