Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite little thing about XCOM 2 is the Codex's intro cutscenes and animations. It's so jumpy and flickery that it actually looks like a game glitch, which is an aesthetic I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also a good excuse to avoid having to do lip flaps for like the third game in a row. :v:

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH

Just Offscreen posted:

My favorite little thing in the new xcom series is scrolling around the bases and seeing your soldiers in relevant places- guys with nothing to do are in the barracks or bar, injured are in the medbay with visitors, and folks training are actually in the appropriate room.
And if you have a soldier with a fedora on, they'd be trying to pick up a girl at the bar

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
dead rising 2

fashion souls is really fun in this game.

YOU KNOW ME
THE FIGHTING FREAK

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Action Tortoise posted:

YOU KNOW ME
THE FIGHTING FREAK

:eyepop: I am in disbelief at what you've done

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

:eyepop: I am in disbelief at what you've done

You know what to do

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

dead rising 2

fashion souls is really fun in this game.

YOU KNOW ME
THE FIGHTING FREAK

Me and a friend are co-oping this and we almost failed a case trying to find those dumb masks to wear but we can only find the attack ones. Also thanks to this topic, or was it the other one?, I managed to freak him out by making a light saber and pretend I just thought it up on a whim.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh my god at all the singing you can do in Earth Defense Force 4.1 :allears:

Essentially you can give squad commands through a menu, or you can use it to sing a loving anthem that friendly NPC's around you will sing verse by verse.

4 verses, along with 4 player co-op meaning you're total able to sing the entire thing if you so choose and it's glorious.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Essentially you can give squad commands through a menu, or you can use it to sing a loving anthem that friendly NPC's around you will sing verse by verse.

4 verses, along with 4 player co-op meaning you're total able to sing the entire thing if you so choose and it's glorious.

Anthems in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJdj92N_d2I

Also EDF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmgeAe0-EMo

Feonir has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Oct 3, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the sidequests in Trails of Cold Steel has you helping a lady running a gelato stand find the owner of a hat they left behind. During the initial conversation, one of your party members idly asks for a lemon gelato only to be told off by the rest because they've got work to do. When you go back to turn the quest in, the lady treats you to free gelato as a reward; four vanilla and one lemon.

(Food in Trails games are consumable healing/curing items)

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

THE E-D-F DE-PLOYS! :patriot:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Broken weapons in games:

Very early in the expansion's release, Diablo 3 included a one handed sword, the Shard of Hate, that would trigger small spells based on the element of the attack you used. Not insanely broken on its own, but the process rate was supremely messed up when paired with the Barbarian's Whirlwind - when you set it to lightning, the attack would trigger the proc an outrageous number of times a second, stacking lightning bolts on top of lightning bolts around you and causing wayyyyyy more damage than you should have been able to do otherwise. I found one early and just thought I was doing a good job until they fixed it and I started getting pasted again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onatsxjzHgc - best video I could find, sorry for the dumb title - the animation doesn't look like much but it's several spellcasts taking up the same graphic space and it was just hilarious to stumble upon firsthand.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Just Offscreen posted:

My favorite little thing in the new xcom series is scrolling around the bases and seeing your soldiers in relevant places- guys with nothing to do are in the barracks or bar, injured are in the medbay with visitors, and folks training are actually in the appropriate room.

I was happy about this until I had a really brutal mission, and found the only survivor at the bar with his head is his hands afterwards :( then I just felt terrible

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This stuff is fun and all but XCOM2 is almost unplayable thanks to it's insane loadtimes and absurdly garbage optimization. It's a shame too cause there's a lot of little things in there, Firaxis just seems to have no clue how to make the game actually playable.
What sort of stone age computer do you have?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's not wrong though. The game is optimized like poo poo and still suffers terrible loading times on a huge variety of rigs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

What are you on about, for a game with no console versions XCOM 2 is optimized like poo poo. I have a 970 and get frame rates of 30 or less on many missions with graphics on medium-high.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, even if you have a good rig XCOM 2 is entirely hosed up for what it is.

Digirat posted:

What are you on about, for a game with no console versions XCOM 2 is optimized like poo poo. I have a 970 and get frame rates of 30 or less on many missions with graphics on medium-high.

It has console versions now actually!

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, as much as I love XCOM 2, it really does run like poo poo even on solid rigs. Not lovely enough to keep me from putting 100+ hours into it though.

My favorite little thing about XCOM 2 is that with one of the expansions, you can become an extraterrestrial Buffalo Bill and wear the skins of certain bosses. As a side effect, if you come across a grunt while wearing the skin of their boss-type mob, it'll cause them to panic.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I upgraded my computer and XCOM, already running pretty rough, inexplicably got slower

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Wintermutant posted:

Yeah, as much as I love XCOM 2, it really does run like poo poo even on solid rigs. Not lovely enough to keep me from putting 100+ hours into it though.

My favorite little thing about XCOM 2 is that with one of the expansions, you can become an extraterrestrial Buffalo Bill and wear the skins of certain bosses. As a side effect, if you come across a grunt while wearing the skin of their boss-type mob, it'll cause them to panic.

I was waiting for the dlc to get a discount.

You have convinced me to not wait anymore. Dang.
I will probably restart xcom2 again even if I was not doing badly in the last attempt

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
When does it come out for PS4?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

There is still a big difference between programmed badly and unplayable. Like the difference between Payday 2's bad netcode and Shogun Total WAr's purely theoretical multiplayer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
XCOM 2, while a good game, is terribly optimised. Certain combinations of hardware, even good hardware, cause it to choke the gently caress up and be lovely. Even Scott Manley (our illectro) had very noticeable framerate drops and dips and shittyness during his playthrough, and I doubt his system is a slouch.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

When does it come out for PS4?

It's out now and pretty great, but the loading screens are both numerous and hideously long. Four separate, minute-long loading screens before you're even in the game proper.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah, so it's a PS4 game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The best part about the optimization for XCOM 2 is that for whatever reason, hitting caps lock while in the loading screen after or before a mission (I forget which) will cause it to load instantly instead of having to wait another minute or so. Not sure if I ever found a decent explanation for why this happens.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The best part about the optimization for XCOM 2 is that for whatever reason, hitting caps lock while in the loading screen after or before a mission (I forget which) will cause it to load instantly instead of having to wait another minute or so. Not sure if I ever found a decent explanation for why this happens.

It's a hard coded dev feature to just load all assets simultaneously that people just weren't supposed to run into. Some computers load instantly, some have the same load times, and some crash out so hard they corrupt your save. X2 is lots of fun when it works but it's a hot loving mess and is making me hold off on Civ 6 till it's been out a bit.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's a hard coded dev feature to just load all assets simultaneously that people just weren't supposed to run into. Some computers load instantly, some have the same load times, and some crash out so hard they corrupt your save. X2 is lots of fun when it works but it's a hot loving mess and is making me hold off on Civ 6 till it's been out a bit.

After civ BE you should be holding off on 6 anyway

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

2house2fly posted:

Ah, so it's a PS4 game.

What are you even talking about? I have like thirty PS4 games and the only one with really noticeable loading times is Battlefield 4. A couple take thirty seconds or so to launch initially but really, it's 2016, literally every console game is being loaded from a hard drive exactly the same as a PC game, you sound like a moron.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

food court bailiff posted:

What are you even talking about? I have like thirty PS4 games and the only one with really noticeable loading times is Battlefield 4. A couple take thirty seconds or so to launch initially but really, it's 2016, literally every console game is being loaded from a hard drive exactly the same as a PC game, you sound like a moron.

Bloodborne even from the hdd takes ages to load.
And it used to be much worse regarding that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fair enough. All I've really played on PS4 is Fallout 4, Doom, No Man's Sky and Metal Gear Solid 5, and seen some streams of Bloodborne. I assumed that since they're big tentpole games their loading times would be representative of games on the console in general, but I guess they're outliers.

Edit: Oh and Arkham City, but the PC version of that was legendarily bad so it stands to reason the console version would be kind of crappy too

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nah, those are just shittily optimized games. Really, architecture-wise, console games are loading exactly the same as PC games - from old HDDs. Nothing except the Wii U actually reads data from discs anymore at runtime.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i remember Killzone: Shadow Fall having pretty awesome load times on the PS4, but Guerrilla are pretty great at optimizing their games in general.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

2house2fly posted:

Fair enough. All I've really played on PS4 is Fallout 4, Doom, No Man's Sky and Metal Gear Solid 5, and seen some streams of Bloodborne. I assumed that since they're big tentpole games their loading times would be representative of games on the console in general, but I guess they're outliers.

Edit: Oh and Arkham City, but the PC version of that was legendarily bad so it stands to reason the console version would be kind of crappy too

Did you mean Arkham Knight? I don't remember Arkham City having nearly as many problems, but I think AK was only horribad on PC while consoles were more or less a-okay.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
AK is a really weird example to use in the context of these complaints given the only loading screen it actually has is the initial start-up. Once you're in-game there's no more loading screens unless you die. :

It was ridiculously well optimized for the hardware which is one of the, many, reasons WB needed to be crucified for how they handled the PC version.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tardcore posted:

After civ BE you should be holding off on 6 anyway

For what it's worth they're developed by largely different teams, VI is handled by the people who made the expansions for V and it's a much more promising-looking game than BE ever was.

Of course it'll no doubt take time to get the biggest balance and AI issues fixed regardless.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Nah, those are just shittily optimized games. Really, architecture-wise, console games are loading exactly the same as PC games - from old HDDs. Nothing except the Wii U actually reads data from discs anymore at runtime.

That explains why my brother's Xbox One "glitched out" and let me play a game on disc while I was holding the disc in my hands.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

That explains why my brother's Xbox One "glitched out" and let me play a game on disc while I was holding the disc in my hands.

The game disc is basically a key that says "yes, I own this video game" that you put into your console to let you play it. PC games on disc nowadays straight-up just come with a pre-packaged Steam installer a lot of the time.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

CJacobs posted:

PC games on disc nowadays straight-up just come with a pre-packaged Steam installer a lot of the time.

And then there's Metal Gear Solid V, which just had a Steam installer on the disc and a key, forcing you to download the whole game, even if you bought a physical copy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blu-Ray read-rates aren't exactly fantastic compared to those of DVD's (relatively speaking), so they just sidestepped the issue by installing to the internal HDD. Same reason you see PS3 games requiring install footprints while the X360 version of the same game will run right off the disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

AK is a really weird example to use in the context of these complaints given the only loading screen it actually has is the initial start-up. Once you're in-game there's no more loading screens unless you die. :

Or unless you play challenge maps.