Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

calandryll posted:

I've run into the occasional issue where images from other sites than imgur don't load. There is no box around them, I figure it has to do with inline loading but it's infrequent enough that I forget to try and fix it. Ideas of where to look?
Isn't that due to the whole other-sites-not-keeping-up-to-date-with-their-security-certificates-so-the-forums-on-https-don't-display-hotlinked-things-right issue that was so prevalent in the QCS Technical Issues thread a while back?

vvvvv What Astral posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

calandryll posted:

I've run into the occasional issue where images from other sites than imgur don't load. There is no box around them, I figure it has to do with inline loading but it's infrequent enough that I forget to try and fix it. Ideas of where to look?

relevant ZDR quote:

zen death robot posted:

When things moved over to the new servers I was able to use a much newer version of NGINX that supported Security Policy headers like "upgrade insecure requests" instead of having to use a meta tag that was only supported by Chrome. This is why if you're browsing using SSL some image hosts won't work properly.

You can work around this by browsing the forums via http:, but the sites hosting the images should properly configure themselves to host images over https. There's little excuse for it these days since letsencrypt exists and is free!

Also, people should stop posting images from hosts that don't support SSL.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Ah, that explains a lot. As I said it's usually only a handful of things that don't work so I usually end up hitting the quote and copying and pasting the link if I care that much.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
EDIT: wow there was a whole new page with the answer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You've probably noticed this already if so, but with e10s/electrolysis enabled in Firefox 48 the quick reply window doesn't auto-close when preview/submit are clicked. Does this sound like a side-effect of the new sandboxing system?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

You've probably noticed this already if so, but with e10s/electrolysis enabled in Firefox 48 the quick reply window doesn't auto-close when preview/submit are clicked. Does this sound like a side-effect of the new sandboxing system?

Disclaimer: That falls into unsupported configuration territory (e10s is only supposed to be enabled on release for ~1% of people who have no addons). SALR+e10s are working fine for me on Firefox 50 (Developer Edition) with e10s.

That said, I tested it by attempting to force e10s on in Firefox Beta (also an unsupported configuration) and the good news is I have a general idea of what is failing in that situation. I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Testing rewritten submit.
Edit2: Success!
Edit3: Testing next set of changes..

astral fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 5, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

testing rewritten quick quote submit attaching a file (the thing that took the longest for misguided mozilla security reasons)

e: success!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good to know! I'm not demanding a fix as I know I'm on an unsupported edition but figured that beta testing while being naughty might help prevent headaches once rollout goes larger. Thanks for the quick look at it!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Good to know! I'm not demanding a fix as I know I'm on an unsupported edition but figured that beta testing while being naughty might help prevent headaches once rollout goes larger. Thanks for the quick look at it!

I appreciate the report. Just working on the last bit now - redoing the attaching/reattaching.

e: Testing again. Success!

astral fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 5, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:SALR v4.1.1-dev.2 is out.
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in v4.1.1-dev:
  • Significantly improved Quick Quote Window's multiprocess Firefox compatibility.
  • (4.1.1-dev.1) Quick Quote window now opens relative to the current browser window.

For this version, I rewrote how Quick Quote submits posts, attaches files to posts, and manages the quick window's "attached" status to the thread you're quick whatevering from. Please help thoroughly test it and report any errors so the fixes and improvements can be pushed out to everyone! :shobon:

quote:

New (old) in v4.1.0:

• Tan-colored bookmarks now display as tan in forums to distinguish between 'unread thread' and 'unread bookmark'.
  • Improved SALR's performance in thread lists (bookmarks list + forums).
  • Added option to prevent forums JS from autoplaying gifv/gfys.
    • You can find this option in the Threads preference pane -> Video Embed Options.
  • Accidentally middle-clicking 'Add Coloring/Note', 'Show/Hide Avatar', or 'Mark as unread' buttons will no longer open useless new tabs.
  • Post dates/times no longer wrap to a new line.
  • Reduced the amount of space between lines of user notes.
  • Fixed imgur API breakage (now using API version 3).
  • Imgur upload tool enhancements:
    • Added a progress bar for imgur uploads.
    • Imgur upload tool now outputs https image links.
    • The deletion link for an uploaded image is now printed to the browser console (usually ctrl+shift+j), just in case.
    • Improved the security of the imgur upload tool.
  • Moved admin, mod, and OP custom highlighting into CSS classes - changes to these now take effect instantly.
  • Removed some redundant CSS classes (salastread_thread_*, salastread_forum_*).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

astral posted:

For this version, I rewrote how Quick Quote submits posts, attaches files to posts, and manages the quick window's "attached" status to the thread you're quick whatevering from. Please help thoroughly test it and report any errors so the fixes and improvements can be pushed out to everyone! :shobon:

Testing this out now!

Ninja edit: works perfectly so far! Great work. :)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Since embedded tweets became a thing, the "re-anchor thread" feature hasn't worked properly. When the tweets load, they push the page down. I know there are related features in both SALR and the forums options, but I don't know how to test if it's one or the other causing this. I'm on Firefox 47.0 and SALR 4.1.0

astral
Apr 26, 2004

vortmax posted:

Since embedded tweets became a thing, the "re-anchor thread" feature hasn't worked properly. When the tweets load, they push the page down. I know there are related features in both SALR and the forums options, but I don't know how to test if it's one or the other causing this. I'm on Firefox 47.0 and SALR 4.1.0

Neither one will work properly because the tweets embed after those events fire. Pitfall of the way the forums' javascript-based tweet embedding works.

astral fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 15, 2016

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

astral posted:

Neither one will work properly because the tweets embed after those events fire. Pitfall of the way the forums' javascript-based tweet embedding works.

Thanks for the answer. It's not a big deal, I just wanted to report it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

vortmax posted:

Much appreciated! Sorry I don't have a real solution for it.

Personally I try to work around it by letting Firefox's tracking protection block the twitter embeds but I understand that's not for everyone (and the forums' js-based webm/mp4 embeds still shift the page around anyway).

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

vortmax posted:

Note that if you have keyboard shortcuts enabled, you can hit "o" to re-anchor manually.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Are the custom colorings for users supposed to work when that user is quoted? It doesn't seem to happen for me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh Astral - you know the fantastic set-quick-reply-relative-to-parent-window you added a while back? I realised the other day that there's something else it could do with - the imgur upload tool still goes to the primary monitor. The attach button works fine but could the upload dialogue have the same relative-to-parent setting, please?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Are the custom colorings for users supposed to work when that user is quoted? It doesn't seem to happen for me.

They're supposed to. I'll try to fix that soon.

Tesseraction posted:

Oh Astral - you know the fantastic set-quick-reply-relative-to-parent-window you added a while back? I realised the other day that there's something else it could do with - the imgur upload tool still goes to the primary monitor. The attach button works fine but could the upload dialogue have the same relative-to-parent setting, please?

Yeah, that's a good idea.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:toot:SALR v4.1.1 is out!

(note: you will auto-update to this version!)

New in v4.1.1:
  • Significantly improved Quick Quote Window's multiprocess Firefox compatibility.
  • Quick Quote window and imgur uploader now open relative to their parent windows.
  • Fixed regression with quoted user highlighting not working.

previously new in v4.1.0 posted:

• Tan-colored bookmarks now display as tan in forums to distinguish between 'unread thread' and 'unread bookmark'.
  • Improved SALR's performance in thread lists (bookmarks list + forums).
  • Added option to prevent forums JS from autoplaying gifv/gfys.
    • You can find this option in the Threads preference pane -> Video Embed Options.
  • Accidentally middle-clicking 'Add Coloring/Note', 'Show/Hide Avatar', or 'Mark as unread' buttons will no longer open useless new tabs.
  • Post dates/times no longer wrap to a new line.
  • Reduced the amount of space between lines of user notes.
  • Fixed imgur API breakage (now using API version 3).
  • Imgur upload tool enhancements:
    • Added a progress bar for imgur uploads.
    • Imgur upload tool now outputs https image links.
    • The deletion link for an uploaded image is now printed to the browser console (usually ctrl+shift+j), just in case.
    • Improved the security of the imgur upload tool.
  • Moved admin, mod, and OP custom highlighting into CSS classes - changes to these now take effect instantly.
  • Removed some redundant CSS classes (salastread_thread_*, salastread_forum_*).

If you run into any problems or have any questions / comments, feel free to post in this thread or hop on IRC at irc.synirc.net channel #salr

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
How often do Firefox plugins check, download, and install updates? I seem to not have given v4.1.1-dev.2 the chance to auto-update and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe someone should check if auto-update is actually working when expected.

It doesn't seem to be on Firefox's start-up at least.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ElTipejoLoco posted:

How often do Firefox plugins check, download, and install updates? I seem to not have given v4.1.1-dev.2 the chance to auto-update and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe someone should check if auto-update is actually working when expected.

It doesn't seem to be on Firefox's start-up at least.

This quora question seems to have the answer:

quote:

Firefox checks for updates to both itself and add-ons once a day. If you don't have Firefox open during its scheduled check time, it will check the next time you start it up.

The download stats (those are available through github's public api; SALR itself doesn't do any sort of user/download tracking or telemetry) seem to confirm that; there are a ton of downloads during the first two days, then it slows down.

Sidenotes:
  • plugins are gross things like Flash (which typically are not auto-updated through the browser); SALR belongs to the "extensions" category of add-ons. :)
  • I typically test updating SALR by forcing an update check in at least one browser to make sure I haven't done something stupid like forget to actually push the updated file that says the new version is available for auto-updating

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
At some point in the last couple of weeks, SALast Reads right-click page navigator and Snaplinks Plus have started interfering with each other. When one is disabled, the other works, but with both enabled both's graphics show up but neither's actions happen. Anyone have any suggestions? I can live without Snaplinks plus if I have to, but it's an extension I really like.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought it was Firefox updating which did it.

Snap Links still works for me, just looks all messed up.

For instance. This is what it should look like:

Whereas thread lists look like this:

I actually selected the unread post counts on the left in the above image, but both the selection box and the red highlighted boxes are all off to one side. But, it does still open what I wanted.

So, only half borked for me. Would really like to find a solution, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looking at the addon page for Snap Links Plus, there seem to be reviews that it doesn't work properly in Firefox 49:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/snaplinksplus/reviews/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Snaplinks seems to be the #1 "broken by ff updates" addon of all time. I think I have had it broken at least 20 times by updates. I wonder wtf it's doing that is so fragile.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've just started trying out Multi Links Plus and it has a few more options than Snap Links, but is still doing the "everything shifted to the left" that Snap Links did on the forums lists and a couple of other sites.

It also does this with SALR disabled. Which is good, because now I know that the problem is most likely the same as what caused it with Snap Links. I.e. most likely the last Firefox update - (EDIT) or some script the sites are running.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 4, 2016

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I'm having a completely different problem with Snap Links Plus - the selection highlights are aligned correctly, but it doesn't respect the hotkey I have set, or the "on release". (I only want it to activate when I hold ctrl, and pop a menu asking what I want to do on release.)

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

m2pt5 posted:

I'm having a completely different problem with Snap Links Plus - the selection highlights are aligned correctly, but it doesn't respect the hotkey I have set, or the "on release". (I only want it to activate when I hold ctrl, and pop a menu asking what I want to do on release.)

There was an update to Snap Links recently which disables any configuration settings and forces you to use the default. You can manually revert to 2.4.3 from the version list on the addon page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/snaplinksplus/versions/

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

jaydee864 posted:

There was an update to Snap Links recently which disables any configuration settings and forces you to use the default.

That seems terribly inconsiderate and/or stupid.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh, it's because the 3+ version is for multiprocess Firefox, so most of the features are stripped out. Still seems stupid to have it as an automatic update.

As for the 2.4.3 version, it's working fine for me on FF 49.0.1, aligned selection boxes and all.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 4, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Excellent, thanks. That fixed my alignment problems.

The 2.4.3 version isn't quite as good at magically selecting the links I want it to, but I can live with that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jaydee864 posted:

There was an update to Snap Links recently which disables any configuration settings and forces you to use the default. You can manually revert to 2.4.3 from the version list on the addon page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/snaplinksplus/versions/

this solved my problems with it fighting salr as well. thank you!

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
One thing to note, which I nearly forgot myself: If you do revert Snap Links to 2.4.3, make sure to disable automatic updates in the Extension menu for Snap Links, otherwise Firefox will put you back onto the 3.X version within the next couple browser sessions.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Hah, just came here to post exactly that.

Had a few very annoyed seconds before I realised what was going on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
what a coincidence, i just had to do that this morning too, lol

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I upgraded to a Surface Pro 4, which has a high-ish dpi, and I'm balancing out my image scaling settings again and I'm noticing they don't seem to influence what happens when I click timg'd images (both clicking the size label (wouldn't expect SALR to interfere there) and clicking the picture). Is this something outside of the influence SALR can have? I never noticed before.

Mostly seeing pictures expand not as wide as they could, as well as pictures expanding taller than they should.

Just checking whether this is an anomaly. What with Lowtax looking into switching away from vbulletin, I suspect it's not worth doing anything about it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I upgraded to a Surface Pro 4, which has a high-ish dpi, and I'm balancing out my image scaling settings again and I'm noticing they don't seem to influence what happens when I click timg'd images (both clicking the size label (wouldn't expect SALR to interfere there) and clicking the picture). Is this something outside of the influence SALR can have? I never noticed before.

Mostly seeing pictures expand not as wide as they could, as well as pictures expanding taller than they should.

Just checking whether this is an anomaly.

timg stuff is done via forums javascript; it could probably be fixed but

quote:

What with Lowtax looking into switching away from vbulletin, I suspect it's not worth doing anything about it.

bingo. I'm not going to spend time on edge cases if the whole thing's getting tossed soon.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ah well. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is anyone else not able to post to GBS with SALR?

I'm getting weird javascript errors....

• Locked thread