Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
One of them comes from having friends, which also counts a lot of people who complain about MMOs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Demicol posted:

How much money should I have before I start leveling crafting classes?

Try to level your gathering classes (Specifically mining and botany) alongside your crafting classes. It'll reduce the price of levelling crafters since you can just go out and gather what you need.

Figure out a few items you can make (for example, mortar from alchemist) or gather (granite, marble) which you can use to keep yourself flush with a bit of cash.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

There is a lot of screeching about the Chinese Dress on the Mog Station going on on the official forums.

"The set also gives +30% EXP up to level 30 and it actually has STATS if minimal - unlike other cash shop items. This is the closest to "pay to win" that you can get. "

lol pay to win at what, toto rak runs?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Demicol posted:

How much money should I have before I start leveling crafting classes?

You should have one combat class at 50-60 to easily replenish money and supplies, is the vibe I've gotten.

If this were FFXI and leveling a job to cap were an undertaking, I might give a poo poo about cash shop EXP bonuses, but the way this game is I really don't care. It's already stupidly easy to level. I'm more worried about the glut of PotD newbies joining the endgame. There's a vast difference between dungeon play and the Deep Dungeon once you're past, like, 30.

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
More interesting characters!

Naked youth

Shaft

Cotton candy man

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eopia posted:

The 230-240 step takes almost a solid month to complete assuming you get 3 Umbrite (900 Lore) per day, so yes, it's painful. Meanwhile the Aether Oils are 1800 lore each, but you only need 5 and may in fact already have all you need assuming you've been doing your CT weeklies.
The Aether Oil is best gotten by doing the CT weekly for this reason, so you can stockpile umbrite for the next step. Assuming you don't need the weapon right now or something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mrs.Nameko posted:

More interesting characters!

Naked youth

My favorite of these (although I don't know if it's the same quest, because I believe there are two) is the one who disguises as a Serpent officer and is like "hey, new objective, murder all the tame sylphs, they're stupid and evil and we hate them". That guy at least had a wise idea even if his execution was poo poo.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

quote:

[23:14]You earn the achievement “Sophia's Choice”!
Sheesh, took long enough. All I needed was a group that knew how to not fall off of Sophia's Wild Ride.

Unrelated: I never realized how legitimately scary my glamour can look.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Random Brilliant Idea of the Day: They need to add minion mounts. Like, tiny little mounts that your minions will hop in when you get on a mount and they'll ride alongside you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Got my squadron promoted, now to do the training dance again to figure out these mission configurations.

I might need to use the training manual too, my only tank is the starting Roegadyn marauder and there are a couple missions with 400+ physical requirements.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Honestly before you start loving with team compositions I'd say just power to level 35 or 40 when the net mission comes up and then work at fitting your guys into the roles needed for that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd legit consider buying the witch broom from the cash shop if they put it up if it were to come out at around £5 like past seasonal gear rather than what they charge for the other mounts.

e: Also, rather than try and fail the routine missions that have 400+ requirements, better to just farm the level 15 mission and get those recruitment manuals too, I suppose? There's 1000 exp less from that compared to the level 20 mission but it's a lot more reasonable stats.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 4, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Martman posted:

Random Brilliant Idea of the Day: They need to add minion mounts. Like, tiny little mounts that your minions will hop in when you get on a mount and they'll ride alongside you.

Minion hats.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Minion minions.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

imma be hella pissed if they ever introduce new companions after all this chocobro training/feeding. Hopefully the stars transfer

Also I'm a big dumb and bought the spooky chocobo garb

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Captain Oblivious posted:

4.0 will finish off the Eorzean continent and after that there's still Ilsabard, Othard, Meracydia, and Sharlayan.

Don't forget the New World! West of Limsa, and apparently where XIV's version of the Mamool Ja come from.

I am going to be curious if Stormblood (4.x) is going to be just Gyr Abania and getting the whole of Eorzea into the game. The end of 3.4 feels rather blatant about where we're going next, but there's also been this passive hinting at Radz-at-Han, the main city in the Thavnairan Archipelago, becoming really important going all the way back to, like, mid-2.x. And the FFX stuff associated with all the Fanfest business seems a little odd, given that Ala Mhigo as presented to date doesn't really mesh with the theming and imagery of FFX. A warm-climate island nation, though...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SpaceDrake posted:

Don't forget the New World! West of Limsa, and apparently where XIV's version of the Mamool Ja come from.

I am going to be curious if Stormblood (4.x) is going to be just Gyr Abania and getting the whole of Eorzea into the game. The end of 3.4 feels rather blatant about where we're going next, but there's also been this passive hinting at Radz-at-Han, the main city in the Thavnairan Archipelago, becoming really important going all the way back to, like, mid-2.x. And the FFX stuff associated with all the Fanfest business seems a little odd, given that Ala Mhigo as presented to date doesn't really mesh with the theming and imagery of FFX. A warm-climate island nation, though...

For some reason I just assumed Meracydia was the New World since Meracydia is basically non-existent in any non-Coil records. It would be a new and undiscovered continent as far as 99.999% of Eorzeans are concerned. But Meracydia is to the south not the west so, poo poo, you're right :v:

As for your second set of thoughts, I could see it. It's important to remember that Ala Mhigo sits at the cusp of the land bridge leading into Ilsabard and Othard so going a little bit past Ala Mhigo into the beginnings of new continental territory is plausible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceDrake posted:

Honestly given what ol' Nero is getting into at the end of 3.4 I wouldn't be shocked if something happens to either quickly resolve or make the Ala Mhigo problem so much worse it's un-salvagable and we have to look a bit more eastward for help dealing with Garlean forces.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 4, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Are there any Creator statics on Excalibur that are looking for a BLM that plays from 8:00-ish PST onwards on weekdays but has much more flexibility on weekends? Reply here or send Ad Astra a message in-game.

vOv fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 4, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's gonna be really weird when we go to othard in 5.0 and suddenly there's au ra everywhere two expansions afer they were added

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

imma be hella pissed if they ever introduce new companions after all this chocobro training/feeding. Hopefully the stars transfer

Also I'm a big dumb and bought the spooky chocobo garb

You mean you're not excited to train a whole new companion? :v:

By the way, on the subject of barding, would anybody happen to have any good screenshots of the Mandervillian Barding? I blew all of my MGP on Triple Triad boosters like an idiot, and I'd like to see what it looks like. I haven't been able to find a screenshot anywhere.

I just want to know how much effort I want to put into getting back to 150k to buy it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I wonder if (3.4 spoiler) Alisae's book sword is relevant to new player mechanics? I mean last year we had Yugiri which led to both new job (ninja) and the au ra so I'm wondering if during these last few story patches we'll get some similar sneak peeks at new features.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Emalde posted:

Meanwhile I've been trying to farm it the entire week and end up having to teach every single person how every single mechanic runs through and am completely exhausted with it.

I never had this much trouble with getting people through Ravana, which I feel like is basically the same fight in principle here. :negative:

Sophia is really interesting in that it's designed to be more intimidating than it actually is. When you first do it, it can seem completely impossible because there's so much to keep track of and these tilts are insane and I'm dying constantly and oh god the damage is so high and :gonk:. If you can actually calm down and pay attention to the individual elements, though, it's really not particularly difficult and in fact the only real damage she should do are the tankbusters, occasional Quasars hitting the platform and the triple Cincinnatis. Anything else is punishment and you need to pay attention to how to avoid it.

If you can't really get over that initial intimidation, however, Sophia is going to seem nearly insurmountable.

I actually really like Sophia's design, though it can really shine a light on people who need to improve their play further.

Captain Oblivious posted:

For some reason I just assumed Meracydia was the New World since Meracydia is basically non-existent in any non-Coil records. It would be a new and undiscovered continent as far as 99.999% of Eorzeans are concerned.

But Meracydia is to the south not the west so, poo poo, you're right :v:

As for your second set of thoughts, I could see it. It's important to remember that Ala Mhigo sits at the cusp of the land bridge leading into Ilsabard and Othard so going a little bit past Ala Mhigo into the beginnings of new continental territory is plausible.

There's one or two places where you can find out that Eorzeans knew of Meracydia - Lominsan sailors can get there without too much trouble, and apparently historians believe, especially now, that the Miqo'te originally come from there - but it's largely a blasted wasteland, even today. It's only in the past few years, with Bahamut appearing and the Crystal Tower stuff, at least, becoming somewhat public knowledge and a better understanding of Third Astral history emerging, that people appreciate why it's in that state and the ferocity of the war fought there. Previously people apparently just thought it was a more barren area of the planet, as opposed to being the site for basically Third Astral Thunderdome, which the Meracydians lost.

I've sort of wondered myself if The Ala Mhigo Expansion might not include the land-bridge and parts of southern Ilsabard, but I'm not so sure anymore. It really depends on how they want to handle The Inevitable Big Fat Garlemald Expansion - do they want to take a shot at doing all of Ilsabard at once, or do want to try and unwind another whole continent across a couple of content cycles, as Eorzea has been? And that's not even getting into Othard, assuming we ever get to go there at all (though after folks got salty about FFXI never going to its Asia-equivalent, I dunno if they want to repeat that...)

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Honestly given what ol' Nero is getting into at the end of 3.4 I wouldn't be shocked if something happens to either quickly resolve or make the Ala Mhigo problem so much worse it's un-salvagable and we have to look a bit more eastward for help dealing with Garlean forces.

Yeah there's also the question of what the hell is up with that. I legitimately can't call that. It could include his character development from CT, as Alisaie had hers baked in from Coil, or it might not! I'm going to be curious to find out, and also to see if the MSQ will be split like it was in 2.5.

Blockhouse posted:

it's gonna be really weird when we go to othard in 5.0 and suddenly there's au ra everywhere two expansions afer they were added

It still bugs me that the Au Ra were used so weirdly in this expansion, especially because I still suspect that what became the Xaela were originally meant to be humanoid Dravanians. As much as I've grown fond of my dragon-princess, I still feel like they should've waited for an expansion where the Au Ra would be more relevant before introducing them, especially since Yugiri's plot has kind of stalled out. (Still hard to tell if what happened to Sian Blake has any bearing on that, though I suspect it ultimately doesn't.)

edit:

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I wonder if (3.4 spoiler) Alisae's book sword is relevant to new player mechanics? I mean last year we had Yugiri which led to both new job (ninja) and the au ra so I'm wondering if during these last few story patches we'll get some similar sneak peeks at new features.

It's very, very hard to tell. I know some folks have been speculating that Alisaie is hinting toward Red Mage or Mystic Knight/Rune Fencer, which is possible, but when we got to actually see Yugiri fight they made sure she used early versions of the Rogue/Ninja animations. Alisaie, in 3.4, was using Gladiator animations in combat. Now maybe we're just meant to pay attention to the cutscene and not so much the actual, busy battle (Thancred used to use Glad animations too, and Cid still does) but that does feel like a bit of an oversight. On the other hand, they may just be leaving the animations out until a "proper" media reveal can be done - I know the SE PR department's gotten a little cross with the XIV team about pre-empting PR before.

TLDR, I wouldn't be surprised if it is, but it's harder to say compared to the Yugiri example.

We'll really find out, I suspect, in about ten days. Still hyped for Vegas, fwiw.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 4, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I just want Maggie to be combat ready. :sigh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Red Mage happens, I want it to be a bit like a mix between Gladiator and Black Mage, but the final combo step is a spell of sorts, you can choose which one you'll use and do so based on fight/benefit of doing it, with the sword combo parts using TP and the combo finisher being MP. Some of the finishes could be a heal/TP restore or stoneskin, things that put the White Mage half of a Red Mage into play.

Maybe make the magic finisher cost enough MP that you'd be encouraged to use a Riot Blade melee/TP cost like finisher fairly often to get MP back to use your magic.

Obviously, they'd use Épée's as weapons too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah there's also the question of what the hell is up with that. I legitimately can't call that. It could include his character development from CT, as Alisaie had hers baked in from Coil, or it might not! I'm going to be curious to find out, and also to see if the MSQ will be split like it was in 2.5.

Seriously I've got no idea what this plot line is going to be because it's definitely going to take place post Crystal Tower since all optional content seems to be at least mostly canon for the plot moving forward. So I just wonder why Nero is still looking for Omega. He's not working for Garlean forces anymore and has no real loyalty to them and seems to have somewhat patched things up with Cid so what's his angle? SCIENCE for SCIENCE sake or is he trying to amass power for some big plot. It's the biggest wildcard in both terms of motivation and possible implications to the setting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

2 Lines in this weeks Tails

700 lore or THREE Mhachi Demimatters.

I want 2 lines this week real bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope that Alisae's stuff stays NPC-only, honestly. It makes the world feel more lived-in when your character only explores part of it. It's neat that Alphinaud is an advanced arcanist that is neither a scholar nor a summoner, and Louisioux is some sort of weird rear end conjurer who knows sacred soil.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I may be misremembering but I think the stats required for squadron missions may have been changed up with the weekly reset. So if you're specifically training for certain stats, there's a chance you may not actually need them when you go to check.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

2 Lines in this weeks Tails

700 lore or THREE Mhachi Demimatters.

I want 2 lines this week real bad.

Don't worry, even if you don't get it the people who do will drive the Materia V market into the ground.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not that you should really expect it, but there's no sort of queue system for Squadron recruits and if you kick someone they're at the back of the list.

The one I kicked out last has just showed back up in my papers. 5 completed challenges and only one recruit. :smith:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I started gardening using one of the pots in my apartment yesterday. It's telling me that I need to check my plants every hour or they die. How lenient is this exactly? Was it a bad idea to plant seeds and then log off for 16 hours?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You only need to water them once a day. I think (think, it's been a bit) you can fertilize them once an hour, which might be what you're thinking of.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I got an insanely bad tank in duty finder yesterday who had a tenuous grasp of mechanics, could not hold threat on anything, and argued with us at length about how cooldowns are bad and he doesn't use them because they're a waste. Naturally, I screenshotted the chatlog, blanked out his name, and posted on Reddit for updoots.

...Now his "bro" and definitely not him, no sir, is messaging me vaguely threatening things in private :allears:

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I got an insanely bad tank in duty finder yesterday who had a tenuous grasp of mechanics, could not hold threat on anything, and argued with us at length about how cooldowns are bad and he doesn't use them because they're a waste. Naturally, I screenshotted the chatlog, blanked out his name, and posted on Reddit for updoots.

...Now his "bro" and definitely not him, no sir, is messaging me vaguely threatening things in private :allears:

your mistake was responding seriously instead of going lmaoooooooo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Nice.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
aaaaahahahahahahaha I'm looking through his reddit post history and he's an avid Trump supporter and goobergator holy shiiiiiit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm excited to see what the rest of them wear at 30.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

I don't think my character likes it when time stops.

I got an insanely bad tank in duty finder yesterday who had a tenuous grasp of mechanics, could not hold threat on anything

Speaking of bad tanks that can't hold threat. I've gotten four different tanks tonight that didn't use their defensive stance in an instance, three of them were paladins.

Did I miss something? It's there a popular youtuber that's recommending only using dps stance?

Edit: Gonna spoiler that just in case. New Alex stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Had a nice spread going until that bread and christmas cake (?) ruined it

• Locked thread