Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

computer parts posted:

You have made accusations that the Democratic Establishment intentionally keeps progressive candidates suppressed in order to cater to big business donors and their interests.

You're going to have to prove that that's a lie (as opposed to him just being incorrect or whatever), or a vaguely-disguised misogynist statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Majorian posted:

You're going to have to prove that that's a lie (as opposed to him just being incorrect or whatever)

"Lie" in this context refers to a deliberately false statement spread by someone and repeated by others. He doesn't have to believe it's a lie in order for it to be one.

Like the recent statement about Hillary calling Bernie supporters losers who live in their parents' basement - someone took it out of context in order to spread it to uninformed people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

"Fury Road," motherafuckaaaaa

(but, of course, that opens the can of worms about whether Furiosa is a feminist character, or just a female character who's acting like a dude)

Isn't it kind of a rape-and-revenge trope though? The captive wives, Furiosa herself, etc.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

computer parts posted:

"Lie" in this context refers to a deliberately false statement spread by someone and repeated by others. He doesn't have to believe it's a lie in order for it to be one.

I mean, it seems to me that a lot of people really, genuinely believe that the deck is stacked against progressive Democrats. I'm not sure that anyone is specifically "lying" about any of it. They could be wrong, that's a reasonable thing to assert. There could be some hyperbole in their argument. But it strikes me as unfair of you to immediately leap to, "You're either lying or are making a misogynist argument."

woke wedding drone posted:

Isn't it kind of a rape-and-revenge trope though? The captive wives, Furiosa herself, etc.

The captive wives, certainly, but I was focusing mainly on Furiosa. I may be misremembering, but I don't think there's any indication that she's been raped in the movie. It would be fair to assume that she probably has been, given the War Boys' "society," but I don't think it's an explicit part of her personal motivation.

Oooh, I thought of another one, btw: Clarice Starling. The fact that I have to think so hard to come up with examples is telling though.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 4, 2016

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Majorian posted:

(but, of course, that opens the can of worms about whether Furiosa is a feminist character, or just a female character who's acting like a dude)

Why can't a female "act like a dude" ?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am a firm believer in once its election season, find the best choice and help them win. Once they win, they are the enemy until they are up for re-election again. I've seen where feet dragging about the candidate not being "good enough" leads. It leads to the other guy winning and things being objectively worse.

The reason why we say "name another candidate" if you want to call her a neo-liberal warmonger is to point out that, even if your criticisms are true (I don't acknowledge this btw), she is still the best choice out of the 2 (or 4). The primary season is the time for challenging candidates to try and push the platform into your direction, and that is exactly what happened. Hillary's platform is demonstrably influenced by Bernie Sanders. But its no longer the primary. You have your choices. Pick the best one or get the gently caress out of the way.

this is hilarious because it's "we can try to go left next time, but this time we have to vote against the greater evil" which you idiots have been saying every single election since your country was founded. you're stuck in a loving time loop and it's by choice, you morons. do something else

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ixnay on the Omelet posted:

Why can't a female "act like a dude" ?

She can, it's just a question of whether or not it creates the expectation that women need to act like men in order to succeed in "a man's world," etc etc. I don't really buy the argument, but it's a valid debate IMO.

HorseLord posted:

this is hilarious because it's "we can try to go left next time, but this time we have to vote against the greater evil" which you idiots have been saying every single election since your country was founded. you're stuck in a loving time loop and it's by choice, you morons. do something else

Glass houses, tankie.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

HorseLord posted:

do something else

voting stein now, gj

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

The captive wives, certainly, but I was focusing mainly on Furiosa. I may be misremembering, but I don't think there's any indication that she's been raped in the movie. It would be fair to assume that she probably has been, given the War Boys' "society," but I don't think it's an explicit part of her personal motivation.

I got the impression she was intended for a similar fate as the wives, then she either aged out or proved herself in combat and ended up on a different path. There's also the Vuvalini who are a great example of bucking the stereotype.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

HorseLord posted:

have you ever considered that "most qualified and well-connected" in the contest of american imperial politics is actually terrifying rather than appealing
Nope. This would be dumb. Politics is based on personal connections, so this just means that she's qualified to do her job.

This reminds me, actually. Women generally ascend to power if either or both conditions are established: a. there is some sort of a crisis in the organisation (cf. Theresa May after the Brexit), and b. they are related to a previous male leader (widow, wife, daughter...). The latter, when it applies, is because they can repurpose the personal networks of the male leader for themselves. If not Clinton, then the first woman president would, therefore, have still most certainly been a Clinton-type insider. In a way, best to clean that hurdle now and get it over with.

Well, unless you believe some enterprising lady would have done an Obama and gotten another powerful clan behind her. Like Obama did with the Kennedys.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

woke wedding drone posted:

I got the impression she was intended for a similar fate as the wives, then she either aged out or proved herself in combat and ended up on a different path. There's also the Vuvalini who are a great example of bucking the stereotype.

That's definitely possible - I hadn't considered that. Still, since the movie doesn't explicitly say that, and it's clear that she's mostly gotten to where she is in life through sheer grit and determination, I don't include her under the "rape and revenge" umbrella. I do admit it's not completely cut-and-dry though.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 4, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess the question is why Clinton is being taken to task on her crap more than other candidates have been? All the poo poo she did was under Obama's watch, but by and large he still had favorable (if markedly less enthused) feelings from the left in 2012. It's not like this Clinton is the first democratic candidate to have done questionable poo poo. And no, I'm not implying misogyny. Is this just the far-left in the US reaching its limit or is charisma just that much of a factor in how politician are perceived?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

meristem posted:

Nope. This would be dumb. Politics is based on personal connections, so this just means that she's qualified to do her job.

So is everyone who sided with Obama over Hillary in 2008 an idiot misogynist because they considered his lack of personal connections to be an asset, rather than a weakness?

The reductive nature of this argument is what bothers me here, as is the usual watering down of slurs. Trump saying Hillary started the birther movement is an inflammatory lie. Bernie saying that Hillary may be compromised on financial issues because she takes a fuckton of money from banks is just, like, basic logic. Equalizing both of these as "lies" just waters down the word, encourages people to think that the only "truth" is in whatever political movement they have arbitrarily declared allegiance to, and further cements the abhorrent polarization that's turned our politics to poo poo in the first place.

Oddly enough though I still find that preferable to this dumb film theory derail where our degree of feminist enlightenment is measured by a bunch of subjective film interpretations that have pretty much nothing to do with Hillary. If you really want to talk about feminism in mainstream film, Cinema Discusso strikes me as a vastly more appropriate context.

edit: I think disenchantment with Obama is what's inspiring so much antipathy with Hillary. She is, for all intents and purposes, acting as his proxy successor. That has to have way more to do with this than her being a woman. Remember that Republicans tried attacking Obama for Benghazi back in 2012, and with Hillary now it's just transitive property.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 4, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

McAlister posted:

Ambition is not tolerated in women in our society.

Simple challenge. Name a movie with a heroine who is openly ambitious, portrayed in a positive light, without being a rape-and-revenge trope, that isn't based on a real woman.

Some examples of movies that do not meet this challenge:

Hunger Games - Katniss spends the whole series being tricked/used into being a symbol of rebellion. She has no personal goals beyond her own survival.

Kill Bill - kiddo is good now because upon becoming pregnant she gave up being an assassin and settled down. Her flashbacks to when she pursued her ambitions were when she was an evil assassin.

Erin Bronkovitch - based on a true story.

Every royal female character - being born to power and trying to do a good job is not aspiring to it or asserting that you are better suited than others to it.

Flashdance - based on a true story.

X-men - being born to power isn't aspiring to it. Also the good female mutants are almost never protagonists and constantly have horrible drawbacks to their powers that cause them to mope around all the time whining about wanting to be normal.

Black Swan - could have been a Rocky style movie about a woman striving to become an amazing ballerina the way Rocky wanted to become a great fighter ( and the way the star of flashdance did ). But instead she's a nervous wreck being driven to dance to please her shrew of a mother.

Ambition in a female character always heralds their status as a villain. Heroes can venture out to "win" a throne - and presumably a hot princess - in our stories but not heroines. If a woman specifically seduces princes they are a heartless evil gold digger. Unlike Heros who can cheerfully take the quest to win the hand of the princess - thereby becoming the next king - without worrying overmuch what the princess thinks about all this.

It's incredibly difficult to even find a training montage about a female character. The montage period gave boys a gazillion training montages in everyone from chess to skiing and gave girls makeover montages in which they passively sat there while other people made them pretty. Kill Bill has training montages from flashbacks to evil kiddo. Rape-and-revenge trope chars have them to gain the skills to enact revenge. There are a few "involuntary training" montages where someone else forces a female character through training of some kind. There are a poo poo ton of "magical girls" who "OMG, I'm good at this? Neat. I've never practiced at it" like the adorable heroine of Butter who was an accomplished child sculpter with no instruction. And now there are plenty of skilled female chars who presumably worked hard at some time in the past to become good - but the story of them pushing themselves for their own advancement is never told. Starbucks, Brienne, and Vasquez simply are. Sprung into being fully formed.

You see the same thing in real life where most female athleticism is presented as art only - the vicious competition happens behind the scenes in the auditions. All you see is the victors take their victory laps in shows. Think about how elegant she looks as she twirls. Not about the rivals she crushed to get there.

So we have been conditioned since our earliest days to associate "ambitious woman" with "villain" because in all the stories we hear and see ... well they almost always are. Real life isn't like the movies which is why movies based on real life buck this trend. But the net effect means that the neural pathways in your brain between the concepts of ambition, woman, and evil are well worn and if two light up the third is raring to go.

parks and recreation isnt a film but that

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I guess the question is why Clinton is being taken to task on her crap more than other candidates have been? All the poo poo she did was under Obama's watch, but by and large he still had favorable (if markedly less enthused) feelings from the left in 2012. It's not like this Clinton is the first democratic candidate to have done questionable poo poo. And no, I'm not implying misogyny. Is this just the far-left in the US reaching its limit or is charisma just that much of a factor in how politician are perceived?

Hillary has a much longer record of crap than Obama did (none), plus the far-left decided to make 2016 a rebellion on general principle and to lay the complete package of grievances they've had with neoliberalism over the past 35 years on her. As for why 2016 I don't think there's a simple answer, the causes of phenomena like that are a lot more complicated. And then as for the mass of squishy vaguely left-liberal moderates who form the bulk of the party her lack of charisma is a major factor, plus the double effect of Republicans attacking her and the left boycotting her, none of which really Obama had to deal with. I think the refusal of the left to cooperate has actually hurt enthusiasm for her in the base by a lot

edit: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/02/despite-donald-trump-many-bernie-sanders-supporters-won-t-forgive-hillary-clinton.html

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 4, 2016

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

HorseLord posted:

Yeah and look at the results. The United States is doing so terribly.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Hillary has a much longer record of crap than Obama did (none), plus the far-left decided to make 2016 a rebellion on general principle and to lay the complete package of grievances they've had with neoliberalism over the past 35 years on her. As for why 2016 I don't think there's a simple answer, the causes of phenomena like that are a lot more complicated. And then as for the mass of squishy vaguely left-liberal moderates who form the bulk of the party her lack of charisma is a major factor, plus the double effect of Republicans attacking her and the left boycotting her, none of which really Obama had to deal with. I think the refusal of the left to cooperate has actually hurt enthusiasm for her in the base by a lot

edit: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/02/despite-donald-trump-many-bernie-sanders-supporters-won-t-forgive-hillary-clinton.html

Obama frequently had attacks from the left. And The Daily Beast is a joke. A lot of Bernie's supporters are voting for her.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

meristem posted:

Her job is bad, idiot. her job is bad. the job she's trying to get now? also bad. you're literally praising her for being the best qualified psychopath international criminal

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I look forward to more sweet tears from The Daily Beast next time Corbyn wins agains one of their neoliberal darlings.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

HorseLord posted:

we can't all start the revolution whining from our bedrooms bro

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Karl Marx did

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the offer to come to your country and do it for real is open, "bro", not my fault you're too pussy to take it. i accept paypal if you change your mind

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
workers of the world unite (to pay me a stipend)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HorseLord posted:

the offer to come to your country and do it for real is open, "bro", not my fault you're too pussy to take it. i accept paypal if you change your mind

I don't know if we've reached peak teenage edgelord yet, but by God it's not for lack of trying!

:allears:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 4, 2016

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

sean10mm posted:

I don't know if we've reached peek teenage edgelord yet, but by God it's not for lack of trying!

:allears:

he got mad that i wouldn't personally hand in an american revolution on a plate, as if such a thing is possible. instead, i offered to come help work towards one in real life, if he's willing to help me with the barriers to doing so, namely being in a different country and being bankrupt. nothing edgelord about making a reasonable offer

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Leftists don't like the Clintons because of NAFTA and welfare reform and the crime bill. Leftists don't like Hillary because she supported a fake war for votes, beat the war drums against Iran in 2008, supported a failed regime change in Libya, supported a coup in Honduras and is literally good friends with Henry Kissinger.

Among other good reasons.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Those are legitimate reasons to dislike Hilary, but that doesn't explain the insane hatred so many people have.

HorseLord posted:

he got mad that i wouldn't personally hand in an american revolution on a plate, as if such a thing is possible. instead, i offered to come help work towards one in real life, if he's willing to help me with the barriers to doing so, namely being in a different country and being bankrupt. nothing edgelord about making a reasonable offer

I don't think anyone is mad at you, but you sure do talk a lot of poo poo about all the super hardcore radicalism you pretend to want to engage in. How many Che shirts do you own?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

computer parts posted:

It doesn't help when you repeat lies and vaguely disguised misogynist statements.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Would you like to actually point to a concrete example, or would you rather do that thing you usually do where you get people to try and guess what your argument is?

computer parts posted:

You have made accusations that the Democratic Establishment intentionally keeps progressive candidates suppressed in order to cater to big business donors and their interests.

Majorian posted:

You're going to have to prove that that's a lie (as opposed to him just being incorrect or whatever), or a vaguely-disguised misogynist statement.

computer parts posted:

Like the recent statement about Hillary calling Bernie supporters losers who live in their parents' basement - someone took it out of context in order to spread it to uninformed people.
You still haven't actually bothered to point to a concrete example, any evidence, and apparently have ignored that you claimed I was making "vaguely disguised misogynist statements." Instead, you gave us a definition of "lie" (thanks!) and then went off on some tangent no one was talking about or cares about. Would you like to (1) retract the dumb things you said, (2) provide any sort of backing to your argument whatsoever, or (3) continue to make vague, unsubstantiated posts? (I know which one I think you'll choose!)

If you're thinking that the Democractic party doesn't cater to businesses that donate to it or the money that funds it is a lie, you're utterly delusional.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 4, 2016

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Speaking as a member of the intelligence community here:

There is huge resentment towards her kid-gloves treatment by the FBI regarding her mishandling of classified information. There are over a million people in this country with a security clearance, and the vast majority of them would have had their clearance revoked or brought up on serious charges had they done what Hillary and her staff did with their work email. Nobody likes seeing evidence of a double-standard.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think anyone is mad at you, but you sure do talk a lot of poo poo about all the super hardcore radicalism you pretend to want to engage in. How many Che shirts do you own?

Looks like I touched a nerve! And zero.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Y'all have completely gone off topic now. What the gently caress is it with whiny marxoteens wanting to make everything about them.

As for why your average American inherently distrusts Clinton, while trusting her husband or Obama for doing the same drat things... I'm really finding it difficult to come up with anything other than culturally ingrained sexism, the yields of propaganda, or her just being a huge dork.

I mean, she's clearly intelligent and seems to actually care about your average American, but she just cannot stop herself from just spontaneously sounding like a huge doofus.

"I call it, Trumped. Up. Trickle down economics.". Really? C'mon. Just... c'mon.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Americans still lust for wedgies.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Kristov posted:

As for why your average American inherently distrusts Clinton, while trusting her husband or Obama for doing the same drat things... I'm really finding it difficult to come up with anything other than culturally ingrained sexism, the yields of propaganda, or her just being a huge dork.

I don't really know anyone who distrusts Hillary but trusts Bill or Obama. I don't think it's a very large demographic. They all have the same fundamental political views.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Trump is clearly the candidate who would have been giving wedgies.

This election is just a proxy battle between Big Wedgie and the Underwear Rights Coalition.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Those are legitimate reasons to dislike Hilary, but that doesn't explain the insane hatred so many people have.

So you're allowed to dislike Hillary now, but only to a degree considered reasonable by internet forum poster Nevvy Z? It's an improvement on people saying straight up there's no legitimate criticisms of her at all, I suppose

Kristov posted:

Y'all have completely gone off topic now. What the gently caress is it with whiny marxoteens wanting to make everything about them.

I mean, she's clearly intelligent and seems to actually care about your average American, but she just cannot stop herself from just spontaneously sounding like a huge doofus.

"I call it, Trumped. Up. Trickle down economics.". Really? C'mon. Just... c'mon.

This is no country for dorks seeking high office

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I don't really know anyone who distrusts Hillary but trusts Bill or Obama. I don't think it's a very large demographic. They all have the same fundamental political views.

That demographic is pretty much "everyone who doesn't vote straight ticket republican" subtracted by "everyone who isn't already in the bag for Hillary". So I dunno, probably 10 - 20 percent of the eligible voter population on any given day. That's a pretty sizable chunk.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You still haven't actually bothered to point to a concrete example,

Bernie is a rarity. Most of the time, there is no progressive primary challenger, or--as we can see with Bernie/Hilary--the Democratic party puts barriers in front of those candidates and strongly backs incumbents or more moderate/conservative candidates. This makes it an uphill fight for populist, left-leaning candidates, and so the Democrats shouldn't be surprised that after decades of suppressing the left side of their party, the party is more right-wing, and left-leaning voters don't like it.

In case you can't tell, this is a direct quote of you literally saying the Democratic Establishment conspires to suppress Progressives.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 4, 2016

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
What you also have to keep in mind that is that about 1/9 of this country is just... bug-fuckingly, pants-on-head crazy.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ltugo posted:

Speaking as a member of the intelligence community here:

There is huge resentment towards her kid-gloves treatment by the FBI regarding her mishandling of classified information. There are over a million people in this country with a security clearance, and the vast majority of them would have had their clearance revoked or brought up on serious charges had they done what Hillary and her staff did with their work email. Nobody likes seeing evidence of a double-standard.
I can see that. But you just know that, if it had been the Republican candidate caught out, it still wouldn't have made any headway, so I think that's more a case of Elites Gonna Elite. Not that that wouldn't justify resentment, but the issue itself would be larger than her. I mean even during the government shutdown, it's not as if the politicians weren't getting paid, even if the civil servants got shafted.

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

There's a lot more populist anger now than in 2012, jobs still haven't come back, and Obama's 2008 campaign was of a completely different character to Clinton's. He's more charismatic, but more important than simply listing a set of bullet point issues, which no one has the loving time to talk about, he related those issues to an aspirational message about the journey of America, or whatever.

A lot of people have this cynical take on on politics, that most people are dumb and don't care about the issues - that's not really true, even if you can get people to say they believe almost anything, if you carefully word the question. What attracts people isn't dry policy proposals of this or that %, even if such details are the meat of any policy. What gets people are involved are broader themes, a sense of belonging and of purpose. The goal of any political movement, if it should be successful, is to provide that purpose, meaning and belonging to people's lives, while also delivering positive, material change to people's lives, to reinforce all those other (just as important) qualities I listed.

Clinton tries to do that, but the only thing she's emphasized is that she'll be the first woman president, "I'm With Her". That's it. Obama didn't campaign on being the first black president, even if that was part of his appeal. What he campaigned on was "Hope and Change", that his presidency would not just be the first black presidency, but that him being the first black president would itself be a part of broad, positive shift in America as a whole. And it's basically for that reason, that he didn't really get much flak, even if overall, his presidency, while having a fair number of landmarks, represents a set of incremental improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

ltugo posted:

Speaking as a member of the intelligence community

i know job-role obscuring euphemisms are popular but why do you say "intelligence community" unironically. why not just say you work for a spy agency. that's what it is. you're not a janitor, you don't need to hide behind calling yourself a "deputy hygiene manager"

are you a floor sweeper or security guard in an NSA datacenter or something

• Locked thread