Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Team China - 5000 years of Three Kingdoms Puppet Theatre

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I wish it was even chinese

A japanese company makes it and a taiwanese company does the puppets

China is going to be like spain where the best poo poo about it will never be made in it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure that japanese you racist. Glove puppetry kicks rear end

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

One of the gate guards for my neighbourhood is a bit crazy and over the top friendly, he is also really badly crosseyed. It's pretty busy here so when he sees someone and starts shouting hello and talking at them everyone stops and looks at each other trying to figure out who it is he's talking to, whilst people he has trapped in conversation before start running.

lol this exact guy works at my wife's old apartment complex. super friendly, never shut up, was kinda crossed eyed. i loved him and he was so nice but sometimes it was like "yo I'm pretty drunk and just want to go lay down" and the dude would not stop talking. we moved away about two years ago, but i went to visit him a few months ago, he's still there and friendly and talkative as ever. i love that dude

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

he is also really badly crosseyed.
My ex-GF's best friend was a cross-eyed chick. She went to university and was a nice girl, but zero companies would hire her because they thought being cross-eyed meant she was unable to use a computer or do anything at all. There's so many people in China that they can just toss out the "damaged" ones and find one that isn't different. So she found a guy with a decent job that liked her and they got married and he gave her money to start up a little bra, underwear, and necktie shop (lol at the combo) and that's what she did until she got pregnant. Both families were freaking out when they happened and waited with bated breath, hoping the baby wouldn't have Wrong Eyes like the mom. Baby was normal and everyone was happy.

That girl taught me something about Chinese shops. All of her neckties came in a big box from the factory. They were all the same material and they all costed her the same price when buying wholesale bulk. She put the plain ties in 10 RMB rack, the slightly nice designs in the 50 RMB rack, and the fancy looking ones in the 100 RMB rack. After I saw that, I never trusted the sellers that divide up their wares by price.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Haier posted:

That girl taught me something about Chinese shops. All of her neckties came in a big box from the factory. They were all the same material and they all costed her the same price when buying wholesale bulk. She put the plain ties in 10 RMB rack, the slightly nice designs in the 50 RMB rack, and the fancy looking ones in the 100 RMB rack. After I saw that, I never trusted the sellers that divide up their wares by price.
What's wrong with that? Do you think most fashion shops price their wares by cost?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
My parents are flying to Hong Kong and taking a cruise to China and Vietnam. How does one make funeral arrangements when loved ones pass away overseas? Thanks.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

My parents are flying to Hong Kong and taking a cruise to China and Vietnam. How does one make funeral arrangements when loved ones pass away overseas? Thanks.

I know we make China sound bad but I think planning funerals is a bit extreme.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Gargamel Gibson posted:

pocket the money quietly.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I know we make China sound bad but I think planning funerals is a bit extreme.

we aren't making china sound bad, we are actually just reporting on china, and it is objectively bad.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I don't know, since I got back after summer I havent seen anything noteworthy, things are far too civilized now and I'm getting bored.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, one of the Firaxis people posted about it on Reddit. It wasn't their choice, so Civ 6 will probably be similar.

E: I'm waiting for the Korean butthurt about Korea being reduced from a full civ to a city-state.

Yeah but city states in vanilla civ 5 were upgraded and the city state replaced. I know this because Wellington only arrived in BMW (I am from New Zealand so I noticed)

E: In fact Seoul was a city state on release, renamed to Katmandu after the Korean DLC came out

exmachina fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 4, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know, since I got back after summer I havent seen anything noteworthy, things are far too civilized now and I'm getting bored.

this is much more of a reflection of you and your daily life in china than it is actually china

like people that live in (southern?) china that are like "i had a great day in china today, don't know why you keep saying china is bad. i stayed inside for 18 hours and played games on steam for 13 hours, and ordered some cheeseburgers, i dunno, china seems cool to me, guess you guys just live in a bad part of it, lol!", that's much more of a reflection of them than it is china

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China is a great place to visit on vacation. I 100% recommend it. Living here is where you get the real bullshit, for a vacation it's no big deal. There's cool things to see and great food and street making GBS threads is a fun story when it's vacation and you don't have to live with it.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Not from personal experience but I've been told by several people that China is one of the most expensive and difficult countries to repatriate dead bodies from. Any travel insurance should cover repatriation.

That being said, the chance of them actually dying on tour is very small. Yes China is loving poo poo to live in, but it's not a bad place to visit.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

The Great Autismo! posted:

this is much more of a reflection of you and your daily life in china than it is actually china

like people that live in (southern?) china that are like "i had a great day in china today, don't know why you keep saying china is bad. i stayed inside for 18 hours and played games on steam for 13 hours, and ordered some cheeseburgers, i dunno, china seems cool to me, guess you guys just live in a bad part of it, lol!", that's much more of a reflection of them than it is china

If you know Northern China is poo poo and Southern China is ok why stay in the lovely place? I rarely have time to sit around at home, I know Grand Fromage complains about Chengdu sometimes but I think he lives out in the wastelands beyond third ring road?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I live in the city near a subway station. I have some specific complaints about Chengdu but most things are just about China generally, I don't think they're any different in other places.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If you know Northern China is poo poo and Southern China is ok why stay in the lovely place? I rarely have time to sit around at home, I know Grand Fromage complains about Chengdu sometimes but I think he lives out in the wastelands beyond third ring road?

I can't just pack up and leave I'm in charge of like a billion things at work, get paid better than I would anywhere else, and am married with a wife and a kid. I have a life here. If I was just like mid20s aimlessly bouncing around as a single person I would go to southern China...well check that I'd go to a good country, but if a good country wouldn't take me I'd go to southern China... but I've been in Tianjin the entire time for work, I was hired in the states, worked for them in the states and then they brought me here. No one chooses to move to Tianjin China. No one in their right mind really chooses to move to China period unless you bombed out of your home country or your company reassigned you here, or unless your country is objectively worse than China (like my old boss from Belarus or my buddy's girlfriend from Georgia)

I do love it though I find it fascinating. I'm now in a full abusive relationship with China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I live in the city near a subway station. I have some specific complaints about Chengdu but most things are just about China generally, I don't think they're any different in other places.

"Hey u racist China has 56 different ethnicities do you think all Chinese are the same? You think you can claim all of China is the same? U sound like a racist to me"

What I heard for years on SA when I said "I have a general problem about China" lol

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My heads a bit squiffy since my girlfriend freaked out about some beers about to go out of date at the company and made me drink them and i forgot they werent 1% like chinese poo poo but i thought your wife was japanese and you lived there or something? And i thought i remembed GF talking about living in the middle of nowhere?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I lived in the middle of nowhere in company housing when I first arrived, but I moved into the city a good while back because gently caress that noise.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ya my wife came to Tianjin two years before me for her company to do kinda the same job I do, except she's in early childhood education. But we've both lived here so long we've built lives here. Now we have a kid and we're getting out the door and the clock is ticking.

I don't know GFs story other than he has had the same experience I've had more or less which makes me happy and he has a little star next to his name so no one freaks out about his experiences

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sunday I was outside for literally under three minutes before I saw my first street making GBS threads in progress, it was quite a day.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I remember posting some china.txt in FYAD back in the GBS 1.0 days and it seemed like some people were not sure if I was making things up or not

Turely with rise of Glorious Chinar become famourse

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
This is my forth year here and I've only ever seen street making GBS threads once. A little kid with his grandma dropped one, the grandma bent down and wiped, noticed some dirt on the kids face whilst down there and then absent mindedly used the lovely tissue to try and run it off covering the poor kid in his own faeces.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd say I average two street poo poo sightings a month if I'm including both active ones and human turds left behind.

Anyone have first-hand experience with car maintenance here? I can imagine what it's like but I was thinking about it the other day as we passed three abandoned cars in the ring road on the way to work. I've pretty confident I've seen more disabled and abandoned cars in a couple years here than my entire life previously and I don't know why.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd say I average two street poo poo sightings a month if I'm including both active ones and human turds left behind.

Anyone have first-hand experience with car maintenance here? I can imagine what it's like but I was thinking about it the other day as we passed three abandoned cars in the ring road on the way to work. I've pretty confident I've seen more disabled and abandoned cars in a couple years here than my entire life previously and I don't know why.

Probably stolen / stripped and abandoned. If you go through an autotheft hotspot in the US (near a port that organized crime has a good hold on) most of the cars you see on the side of the road are from that. Of course in the US they get towed in in fairly short order, in China probably they're as likely to get restolen and sold for metal weight as they are to see official intervention.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No, they're just sitting there with the little triangle reflector and sometimes the driver is chillaxing nearby. They clearly just broke down. I do see the stripped ones around and they almost always have advertisements for second hand cars on them, oddly.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Grand Fromage posted:

Just guessing but could it be a combination of people getting money that they never had before (in general) and the idea that "now that I have money, I need a car" so they buy a car, but don't have a history of knowing how to maintain a car (or even that a car needs maintenance.) Like, they never had a Dad show them how to change the oil or a tire and they just think that when the car breaks, they have to get another or just *shrug* and leave it where it broke.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

I do see the stripped ones around and they almost always have advertisements for second hand cars on them, oddly.

lol

Supposedly in NYC if you wanted a decent bike for cheap you'd talk to a Chinese food delivery guy and the next day you'd have a $1,000 bike for 100 bucks with the old paint job obscured by tape wound around the frame. The delivery guys were the biggest domestic market for stolen bikes so they all knew a thief with a regular supply of stolen bikes that he wanted to offload.

I don't know if that's still the case given that almost all of the Chinese delivery guys use electric bikes now.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Happy mid autumn festival. These lanterns are illegal, everyone does them anyway.

This is what parenting looks like on the holiday in China. This place actually owns and they let us in free, no idea why, and it's on the 4th floor of our building, so I don't even have to go outside when the pollution sucks. Did this yesterday for a bit with my son, he seems to love it. I'm also like one of the only dads there, which is always kinda weird. And of course the only foreigner. Lol

Leaving my pool last week

Chinese style crossing the road...literally every intersection is filled with people like this

When I had to go to the best Chinese hospital. Hey look it's a no smoking sign and a guy squatting in front of it smoking. If China ever gets a new flag I hope they put this on it. the worst part about this is I tell the guy "you can't smoke here" and he's like "oh I know". It isn't even ignorance. He knows he shouldn't smoke in the hosptial...he just don't care about anyone else around him. It's straight up rudeness and selfishness engrained into the culture. It's disgusting and sad, and it happens every day.

This picture was taken from the doorway of a public bathroom after I went. I walked out the door and a guy had walked his kid to the public bathroom...to piss all over the wall outside of it. *sigh* at least no one lost any face!

A street argument stops traffic. I watched for a bit, a lady had her fruits knocked over, not too many swear words, no punches thrown, only a little finger pointing. 5/10 kanrenao.

Sometimes it's like 10:30 am and you've already had to work for like two hours. God that's tiring, better get a nap in

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Example.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

When I had to go to the best Chinese hospital. Hey look it's a no smoking sign and a guy squatting in front of it smoking. If China ever gets a new flag I hope they put this on it. the worst part about this is I tell the guy "you can't smoke here" and he's like "oh I know". It isn't even ignorance. He knows he shouldn't smoke in the hosptial...he just don't care about anyone else around him. It's straight up rudeness and selfishness engrained into the culture. It's disgusting and sad, and it happens every day.

This (and the air pollution) is really what bothers me about China, like you say, it's not just ignorance, it's straight up not seeing past the tip of your nose. People I talk to, both Chinese and foreign say that things will get better with better education etc, but I'm not convinced. First beacuse the education is poo poo and is all about memorizing stuff instead of becoming a well rounded human being and things don't seem to be changing, second because there are few if any role models I see plenty of those so called "young urban" Chinese engaging in this behavior as much as the middle aged ones, third it's all deeply part of the culture at this point. I don't know though, maybe I'm being too cynical, and too biased?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
China has a great ally in insane murder mayor/president Duterte.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-city-hall-chinese-flag-1.3789155

They are now unironically raising Chinese flags in front of Vancouver city hall.

Canada, you should be embarrassed

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hallway smoker man is quintessential Central Kingdom IMHO

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

China has a great ally in insane murder mayor/president Duterte.

You only have to wait for him to call them a Bitch and everything will be normal again.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-city-hall-chinese-flag-1.3789155

They are now unironically raising Chinese flags in front of Vancouver city hall.

Canada, you should be embarrassed

It's to celebrate the founding of the PRC too

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it's sad how in the hole canada is for chinese money. :sad:

• Locked thread