Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I will probably get a NES Classic Edition as well. I have all but 4-5 games and only really care about getting 2 of those (StarTropics and Bubble Bobble). So I don't really need it, but then again, I don't really need most of the crap I have. The cable length does kinda worry me a bit, I'm too old to be sitting on a floor just to get close enough to a 55" tv... poo poo, maybe I just talked myself out of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kid Fenris posted:

I'm looking forward to getting one, but I missed the preorder window (was it even open on Amazon?) so I'll have to wait until they're easy to find and people have dissected them like fake alien corpses on YouTube.

Then went on sale ver like the summer? Sold out quickly and idiots were already selling their preorders early on eBay for ridiculous mark up. When preordering on eBay, the terms. Is eBay require it to be within 30 days of auction end, guess what July isn't within.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I want to get a NES Mini for my kid but the controller cables really are too short for it to be practical.

dogbone nes controllers are 10 feet long arent they? would they really take a big step back to six feet cables in 2016...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

dogbone nes controllers are 10 feet long arent they? would they really take a big step back to six feet cables in 2016...

Six feet? try three.

The mini Famicom controllers are also absurdly small and are hardwired to the system.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Six feet? try three.

The mini Famicom controllers are also absurdly small and are hardwired to the system.

It's canon! :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I've been watching a lot of MTV Classic lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwbjpTJmS4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLpZWNyM0I&t=216s

(and nobody on youtube seems to have the original video for Freewheel Burning where Rob Halford drives a Pole Position car in the wrong direction)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I want to get a NES Mini for my kid but the controller cables really are too short for it to be practical.

Pretty sure you're on Highlander rules to get one for the forseeable future. Just remember to take the preorder-holder's head off in one clean slice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In 5 years when we get cheap, reliable screen casting, the N64 Pocket will have a wired control and you'll just sit it next to you or on the floor to play.

Then you'll pop the VirtualBoy Glasses on after you're sick of playing Goldeneye.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I could swear that there's some Nunchuck extention cords out in the wild.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

ConanThe3rd posted:

I could swear that there's some Nunchuck extention cords out in the wild.

There sure are

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

falz posted:

Thanks. I was able to extract more info, and it appears that this particular cabinet has a MV-1 board, which according to some internet website is an actual JAMMA connector so it may simply be easier to deal with, be it by moving the harness or getting some X-to-1 thing.

Also got a picture of the multi cart, it's a yellow 'Multigame 100 in 1 series 1' so perhaps just an older version of what currently is out there (150 or 161). Really not a huge deal, its a legit board so I'd happily replace the cart. The main thing is the pics show what looks like a really nice 25" CRT.

MV-1 is Jamma. It is what most people convert to consolized MVS's for that reason. I had one in my Astro before the monitor went. Just remember most of those cheap X to 1 adapters are spotty. If you want one that will always work:
http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?action=link&sku=DBLJAMMA

If you want one that should work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jamma-2-in-...2oAAOSwDNdV2Lw~

I have had the Chinese one play roulette with my cabs, but it worked good enough for me. I have not owned Mikes version, but I have friends who swear by it, and all his stuff is top notch.

Good to see it running, now go kill Rootmars and deal with this problem later.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

(and nobody on youtube seems to have the original video for Freewheel Burning where Rob Halford drives a Pole Position car in the wrong direction)

It's on Daily Motion though

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjvceo_judas-priest-freewheel-burning_music

I love how they just stuck a piece of paper over the "Pole Position" logo and magically turned it into a Freewheel Burnin' arcade game.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

fastbilly1 posted:

MV-1 is Jamma. It is what most people convert to consolized MVS's for that reason. I had one in my Astro before the monitor went. Just remember most of those cheap X to 1 adapters are spotty. If you want one that will always work:
http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?action=link&sku=DBLJAMMA

If you want one that should work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jamma-2-in-...2oAAOSwDNdV2Lw~

I have had the Chinese one play roulette with my cabs, but it worked good enough for me. I have not owned Mikes version, but I have friends who swear by it, and all his stuff is top notch.

Good to see it running, now go kill Rootmars and deal with this problem later.
Thanks. Annd the guy just told me he sold the cab last night even though I was actively making plans to go nab it. Blah. The confusing part is that it was an MV-1 board in a cabinet made for 4 games, so I don't know what they did. I guess I'll never find out.

Regardless, next cabinet I get will be JAMMA and that will definitely be useful. I kept seeing the 'should work' one in searches, so its good to know the 'will work' one exists. Also having a wireless remote on the 'should work' one is really dumb IMO.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So yeah, I just got the Artcade art book in the mail today.

Someone had asked me about this book. I will say if you love the 80s/early 90s art styles, you will love this book.

Here's a few choice images.

It doesn't seem to have anything but bezel art, so just know what you're getting into if you want this book.

This has art from games from 1980s all the way up to the Punisher and Alien Vs Predator in the early 1990s.

Apparently this was done by some guy who managed to buy a private collection of original arcade artwork, by a hollywood prop company that was going to go out of business. He saved it all, and also spent another 2000 hours restoring the art.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 4, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
SD2SNES 0.1.7d has been released: https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/819

ikari posted:

What’s new:

• reworked the in-game hook code again, squeezing out a couple more CPU cycles – compatibility improved further. The in-game hook compatibility list has been updated accordingly!
  • BS-X: new bsx page file by LuigiBlood!
    1. contains a proper channel map, notably fixes Fuurai no Shiren: Surara o sukue and most likely more games
    2. revives the town :)
  • BS-X: better detection for script-type ROMs (e.g. various magazines)
  • Cx4 SKIP instruction timing sped up a bit. Core felt a bit too slow. (this is a makeshift “fix” until I implement the proper Cx4 instruction timing I recently figured out)
fixes:
  • fixed occasional black screen after soft reset (L+R+Select+Start)
  • in-game hook memory area visibility quirks fixed in various situations, notably fixes BS Kirby no Omochabako: Pinball
  • BS-X: fix PSRAM corruption on SNES WRAM writes, fixes a number of games, notably BS Kirby no Omochabako: Pinball (tough one)
  • PPU2 H/V count odd/even read flag is reset on ROM load, this fixes games that depend on it when run after games that leave it in a dirty state – notably audio glitches and freezes in Super Punch-Out when run after Fuurai no Shiren.
  • SPC Player: Fixed a long-standing transfer corruption bug that occurred because the original bulk transfer routine didn’t account for CPU stalls by HDMA (which is abundant in the sd2snes menu). This fixes occasionally missing instruments, corrupted samples etc.
  • fixed an occasional deadlock on bootup where the menu would hang at the “Loading…” screen.
  • fixed hard freeze when selecting a file immediately after disabling the “Hide file extensions” option
  • fixed persistent hard freeze in recent games list handling when running games with long path names (> ~120 characters)
  • revert DAC I2S timing to pre-v0.1.7c behaviour, hopefully reducing audio glitches for sd2snes Rev.G units
  • fixed corrupted file list display after playing an SPC file with a scrolled file name

cosmetic changes:
  • “Loading” window is replaced by status bar notification to be less disruptive with very short load times
  • configuration settings no longer have the wrong color when changed

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 5, 2016

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
It happened today. I put in my old as dirt Super Mario World cart, and today it showed Empty x3. :(

I used it like 2 weeks ago and it had the saves on it, but now... alas.

My bits don't come in for another couple of weeks apparently.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Someone had asked me about this book. I will say if you love the 80s/early 90s art styles, you will love this book.

Oh that looks great, just ordered a copy.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Ineffiable posted:

Here's a few choice images.

It doesn't seem to have anything but bezel art, so just know what you're getting into if you want this book.

This has art from games from 1980s all the way up to the Punisher and Alien Vs Predator in the early 1990s.

Apparently this was done by some guy who managed to buy a private collection of original arcade artwork, by a hollywood prop company that was going to go out of business. He saved it all, and also spent another 2000 hours restoring the art.

I don't like how they bound that book at all. They could have elongated it and put artwork on 1 page only instead of splitting a pierce between two pages. Shabby in my opinion.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wizgot posted:

I don't like how they bound that book at all. They could have elongated it and put artwork on 1 page only instead of splitting a pierce between two pages. Shabby in my opinion.

For sure. I also would like a book thats as long as an arcade bezel and wouldn't fit on a bookshelf.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Blackchamber posted:

For sure. I also would like a book thats as long as an arcade bezel and wouldn't fit on a bookshelf.

Yeah, you can't make everyone happy. It's a good compromise. I'd rather this exist as it is now, than for it not to exist at all.

I mean if you shrink it down to one page, then either you have a huge book, or the art is kind of smaller. It's pretty gorgeous at this size.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah, you can't make everyone happy. It's a good compromise. I'd rather this exist as it is now, than for it not to exist at all.

I mean if you shrink it down to one page, then either you have a huge book, or the art is kind of smaller. It's pretty gorgeous at this size.

It could have come with its own custom stand thats made to look like a full sized arcade machine where the book can sit open at the top. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Blackchamber posted:

It doesn't have to be as long. They could have presented it way better. Plus, these types of books aren't meant to be stored on a bookshelf. They are coffee table books.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Could have had pages that fold out with some info printed on the back. You'd still have a crease in the middle but you could lay them flat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wizgot posted:

The binding could have been made to sit flat as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wizgot posted:

Plus, these types of books aren't meant to be stored on a bookshelf. They are coffee table books.

It'd probably be as big as a coffee table. In that case,

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hi retro gaming thread, long time no post.

I've got a bunch of Genesis model 1s I'd like to unload on Ebay soon. Trouble is, I don't have AC adapters. Can anyone tell me if Megadrive adapters are compatible with American Genny units? Specifically I'm looking at these right here.

Quality-wise I have no idea if they're any better than those trash "3-in-1" units, but I've had nothing but bad luck with those and the Genesis and thought I should some other cheap junk a shot.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The binding could have been made to sit flat as well.

I believe those kind of bindings tend to make it more expensive and also make the book larger. I've only seen it in certain photo books and they have noticeably less pages than a book of similar size.

Considering the normal msrp of this book, it's fine for what we get.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Quiet Feet posted:

I've got a bunch of Genesis model 1s I'd like to unload on Ebay soon. Trouble is, I don't have AC adapters. Can anyone tell me if Megadrive adapters are compatible with American Genny units? Specifically I'm looking at these right here.

Quality-wise I have no idea if they're any better than those trash "3-in-1" units, but I've had nothing but bad luck with those and the Genesis and thought I should some other cheap junk a shot.

It doesn't say anything about input voltage. As long as it'll accept 120V AC and still output 9-10V DC at 1.2A, they should work fine.

See:
http://segaretro.org/AC_adaptor

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Quiet Feet posted:

I think those ones are ok, I have a similar one for my 32x and Nomad. The 3 in 1 units literally don't work on a model 1 Genesis however, every one I've tried won't put enough power down the line for it, but it will do a model 2 or 3 in a pinch.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I like to rummage around Nintendo's homepage and try to unearth cool crap they have on there. I don't know why but it's so cool to me that they have this PDF and it's not just scanned: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/manuals/AGB_Final_Fantasy_VI.pdf

Awesome! What does "revived the town" for Satellaview mean? You can actually go into the buildings and stuff now??

Shadow Hog posted:

Well that's a waste. Twenty years on, servers have long since been pulled, you can't buy the games anymore - but hey, you can still buy the useless tat we trotted out instead of a proper physical release you can use later down the line!

Really, that's what I'm angry about; not the price difference being solely for the tat - that's just standard collector's edition fluff - but rather that they had an opportunity to offer a physical version so that problem could be averted in the long-term, but decided "nah, our physical release won't have a physical copy of the game, sorry".

This poo poo's already basically completely ruined the physical PC market (everything's a one-time code that's permanently tied to a Steam account now, so why are you even bothering putting out a box again?), and it annoys me to see it creeping to other markets as well - especially given the gaming industry has serious problems with making sure you can play old games on modern hardware, as Red Eye illustrated with his Uncle Buck analogy. Maybe if they got better about that last bit, I'd care less.

Plus, I dunno, the standard collector's edition fluff just feels sillier when the game isn't available physically at all.

I am in 100% agreement with this and it's why I have zero guilt when I mod my 360 and PS3. But can you explain what TheRedEye's "Uncle Buck" analogy is? I'd love to read it but I am not sure what you are referring to. Thanks!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Blackchamber posted:

considering it's essentially a coffee table book that's not a bad idea

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
for the record printing a "coffee table book" at arcade bezel dimensions would make that book EXTREMELY expensive to produce so, you know, get your Kickstarter plans ready now.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am in 100% agreement with this and it's why I have zero guilt when I mod my 360 and PS3. But can you explain what TheRedEye's "Uncle Buck" analogy is? I'd love to read it but I am not sure what you are referring to. Thanks!
It was at his GDC presentation this year, where he compared availability of original versions of video games (as opposed to ports and remasters) to availability of original versions of films; starts about here.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Edit: I didn't scroll all the way before replying

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

for the record printing a "coffee table book" at arcade bezel dimensions would make that book EXTREMELY expensive to produce so, you know, get your Kickstarter plans ready now.

I don't think they meant to make it the exact dimensions of an arcade marquee, rather to make it the same shape as one and scale it down a bit so it's all on one page, which I would really prefer too. Making a book in the shape of a bezel would be pretty hilarious though

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

I don't think they meant to make it the exact dimensions of an arcade marquee, rather to make it the same shape as one and scale it down a bit so it's all on one page, which I would really prefer too. Making a book in the shape of a bezel would be pretty hilarious though

I mean I guess but then the images would be too small to be worth it if you scale them down to a "book" size imo - in order to make it into a reasonable width you lose way too much height

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Awesome! What does "revived the town" for Satellaview mean? You can actually go into the buildings and stuff now??

That's what I took it to mean as well. Unfortunately, I don't have much interest in BS-X stuff.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Shadow Hog posted:

It was at his GDC presentation this year, where he compared availability of original versions of video games (as opposed to ports and remasters) to availability of original versions of films; starts about here.

This makes me sad because it reminds me of all the movies you can't find legally on any modern platform. The exact numbers escape me, but I remember hearing that over half of the films released on VHS never appeared on subsequent formats.

Nearly all of them are more obscure than Uncle Buck, of course, but a lot of them are interesting. This list just scratches the surface.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/films-dvd/

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I guess I'll post this here: has anyone ever run across a teardown of a Dreamcast modem/ethernet adapter and or pinouts from the expansion port?

I can find oodles of details on the AV out and serial port, but zilch on the expansion port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

I mean I guess but then the images would be too small to be worth it if you scale them down to a "book" size imo - in order to make it into a reasonable width you lose way too much height

I own an average size coffee table book of subway maps (:spergin:), it's not any less cool due to the size, and subway maps are giant posters with small details, not something relatively simple like an arcade marquee

• Locked thread