Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

This better mean a wedding dress montage is coming. :mad:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Considering that Hil's been 12 for like 20 years, it's understandable that she's attuned to her folks' moods by now.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

This sounds like a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Hey, someone told the Sunday colorist this reporter lady is supposed to be black!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Did they skip a panel or a couple of lines?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze realizes it's made a mistake.

He acts like someone dumped a baby on their laps. Where has he been for the past nine months?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

bean_shadow posted:

He acts like someone dumped a baby on their laps. Where has he been for the past nine months?

I hate his baggy jeans and his stupid manchild face. I'm pretty sure several of my last posts in this thread have been about how deeply repulsed I am by his character.
I wish he was dead.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

bean_shadow posted:

He's too busy making really lovely references to star trek and world of warcraft to pay attention to unimportant things, like having a child.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is that nurse supposed to be a reference to something? She's drawn in a completely different style.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

Asaekkiga

This one is mine. You can tell because I created a bunch of white space instead of just editing the comic direct (stupid) and also because it's formatting Korean names incorrectly (even stupider). Korean given names are normally two syllables. They're separated by a hyphen and only the first one is capitalized. For some bizarre reason it took me way too long to figure this out so all references to Korean given names in my older writing is obviously incorrect. Every so often I go back and fix it, although this is obviously impossible with comics I translated for fun which were subsequently downloaded by random people.

Beyond that I can see why Asaekkiga appealed to me as a practice project. A lot of them are like this, with minimal dialogue that's not always even necessary to grasp the action, so even an amateur translator can't screw them up that bad.

By contrast the more complex nuanced language in this chapter of It's All Right Chief Dharma is such that I'm not at all sure I translated it correctly. But the punchline, at least, is intact.

edit: ...yes, that line was a terrible literal translation which is why I'm changing it now while I still have the chance. Unfortunately now the punchline is just "explaining the joke" but eh, what are you gonna do.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 4, 2016

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Is that nurse supposed to be a reference to something? She's drawn in a completely different style.

He probably just c/p'd her like he does for his backgrounds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

By contrast the more complex nuanced language in this chapter of It's All Right Chief Dharma is such that I'm not at all sure I translated it correctly. But the punchline, at least, is intact.

I get the punchline but the linguistics of 'Not Nude Food' to a strip show doesnt really come across. One of the other posters who did the finnish strips did provide explanations when they were translating things like this, i.e. 'eel and kissing are homonyms in finnish, hence the date which ended with the eel' etc. I mean it's perfectly clear what the strip is about here anyway though.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 4, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At least it rhymes... I guess if you wanted to make it more English it'd be a News Show or a Noodle Show...

Full meme edit would be Peep show -> Pepe show.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Yeah, this was a weird case because it's an English pun- in context they're using the exact English pronunciation. English words sound unnatural in spoken Korean, but they're used as loanwords sometimes because it sounds chic. Even though we would never mix up "food" and "nude", a Korean person definitely could because in Korean they're weird foreign words with very similar pronunciation that are in no way similar to common Korean words used every day.

I'm so used to this stuff it didn't occur to me y'all might not get the subtext. My bad. Food/nude was, as you can see, not my invention because it's on the internal banners which I lack the proper skill to edit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh.

I thought you edited the banners. :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Between Shots

Ella Cinders

Myra North, Special Nurse

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I'm sure Pastis is a nice guy, but does he do anything other than "Rat is an rear end in a top hat", terrible puns, and shallow politics these days? I remember liking PBS more than this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The world's most notorious terrorist is in Paris. That's a very good thing to write, DePaul, really. Five stars.

Or that spider. "Look at the size of that thing. Nope, we're leaving. It's his island now. gently caress this." Mark Trail has found the lost civilization of goons.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I'm sure Pastis is a nice guy, but does he do anything other than "Rat is an rear end in a top hat", terrible puns, and shallow politics these days? I remember liking PBS more than this.

You probably remember that because it used to be quite a bit better. The early strips had a lot of black humor, the puns were initially more involved, and the current insights were usually filtered through a fairly acerbic lens. As the strip's mellowed out and the puns have gotten lazier I think the quality's dipped significantly. It's still got the odd highlights but they're much further and farther between than they used to be, and I see no reason to suspect it'll get better.

That said it's still one of my preferred joke a day strips. Which maybe doesn't say great things about newspapers in general, but such is the state of things.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pearls would be the laziest strip in this thread if Working Daze was not a thing, and I kind of hate it now.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life - just because your characters recognize you're repeating yourself forever doesn't excuse it Reddick, you hack!

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Five (April 22, 1955)

Replace "Davy Crockett" with "Peanuts".

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Working Daze

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

This better mean a wedding dress montage is coming. :mad:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Considering that Hil's been 12 for like 20 years, it's understandable that she's attuned to her folks' moods by now.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

This sounds like a terrible idea.

quote:

Yeah, Mikey, i kind of have a bad feeling about the Bridal Barn. Or if some goats and sheep will help me out, a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d feeling

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“The Gold Standard”
“Dressed To The 79’s”
“I Won’t Flax You Twice”
“Tawny Asunder”
“Tow- Away Zone!”
“Take Me, As I Amber”
“The Right Buff”
“The Buff That Dreams Are Made Of”
“Straw Inspiring”
“Carat Package”
“No Champagne, No Gain!”
“Love Me, Tender” (♫)
“Doubloon, Or Nothing”
‘Mint Conditions"
“Pieces Of Eight Is Enough!”
or
“Au, No You Didn’t!"

quote:

amJayBluE said, 1 day ago
Well, there’s a real life store (and also is without any ‘harvesting ambience’) named “dressbarn”, and also “dressbar”. Perhaps it’s the “Luanniversal equivalent”, but for said “matrimonial purposes”.

And, maybe in “the Greater Pitts School Board Zone Township”, it helps that they’re right next to “The Shoe Silo”…

Or an enterprising middle manager could start to work on it…

quote:

Another 16 scratched up records later, and you just may qualify to get into “The Rockin’ Troll Hall of Fame”!…… “…And Matching Themed Restaurant”!….
IamJayBluE
I think that Luann isn’t so much trying to “up any stakes/expenses”, but is just really a “rookie” when it comes to these sort of things. It may be Toni’s first (and hopefully only and lasting ) marriage, but she has probably realized “dreamy-eyed storybook weddings” are just that- “dreams”, and is aware of the realities of "life after the wedding’.

And since there has been at least 20 years of marriage (if not more) between Nancy and Frank, and having had more life experience, I’m sure she is really seeing the opportunity to step in to help Toni out, any way that she can.

In fact, this could likely be a keen moment of bonding, between she and Toni…

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
What Nancy MEANS Toni, Is that She is Gonna have Luann ‘Sweet Talk’ Gunther into Making Your Wedding Dress, Which in Turn, will be Designed by One of the Strip’s Rapid Readers, All- For-Free. So Don’t Get Too Excited Because it AIN’T Costing Nancy One Dime.
What I REALLY Wanna Know Is, Are YOU Gonna Toss the Bridal Bouquet after the Ceremony? It’s ALWAYS Fun Watching the Single Ladies TEAR Each Other Apart Trying to CATCH It, Thinking that by Doing So, THEY Are Next.

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

Every so often I go back and fix it, although this is obviously impossible with comics I translated for fun which were subsequently downloaded by random people

As one of those random people, if you happen to have a fixed version of something I post I'd be happy to replace it in my save folder!

quote:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Oh my god the Chief's bow tie :3:

Asaekkiga

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well, if you're so gracious as to entertain my OCD sense of perfectionism here's how I would have produced that comic today-

Not loving with the translation this time, since aside from the name issue it's accurate enough. I might in the future though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The kids in your class print out their photos?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Bimmi posted:

Pearls would be the laziest strip in this thread if Working Daze was not a thing, and I kind of hate it now.

But how about those clowns in Congress? What a bunch of clowns, amirite?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bimmi posted:

Modern Nancy.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Bimmi posted:

Fort Knox.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Kumaton posted:

Fort Knox.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Fort Knox has all those dumb little background gags, at least. Unfunny, for sure, but still implies some effort.

Guess I shouldn't rip too hard on Pearls when Take It From The Tinkertons exists, though. How often does that guy even bother to make an actual joke?

e: and I believe Nancy is Gilchrist working at his genuine highest level, which just happens to be complete and utter poo poo.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 4, 2016

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

An unfortunate pairing ruins the message of today's Zippy.

SomeMathGuy posted:

You probably remember that because it used to be quite a bit better. The early strips had a lot of black humor, the puns were initially more involved, and the current insights were usually filtered through a fairly acerbic lens. As the strip's mellowed out and the puns have gotten lazier I think the quality's dipped significantly. It's still got the odd highlights but they're much further and farther between than they used to be, and I see no reason to suspect it'll get better.

That said it's still one of my preferred joke a day strips. Which maybe doesn't say great things about newspapers in general, but such is the state of things.
This pretty much sums it up for me. Pearls is a perfect example of why strips should end. It's still one of the better ones on the comics page, but it's not as good as it once was, and I feel like it's kind of run its course. Time for new blood.

F Minus

Mary Worth

It only works when you say the words real hard like that.

Rex Morgan MD

"And spiders. And sometimes silverfish."

Secret Agent X-9

"International Peace League"?

Apartment 3-G

Wesley's really got a pretty good attitude about all this. "Eh, maybe she liked me, maybe not. Whatever. The letters were nice, but it was really just the one date."

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (August 1-3, 1929)

I think we know why there ain't a fence.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Kid Fenris posted:

Thank you. I enjoyed what I read of Wash Tubbs, and I like how it's more cartoonish than some other old serial-adventure comics.

You're welcome! I agree that the cartoonish aspect of the strip is a big part of its appeal -- it's almost like an American take on Tin Tin (though it actually preceded Tin Tin, so maybe Tin Tin was a French take on Wash Tubbs?).

Re: the new scans, I still haven't had time to do them, but they're high up on my to-do list. Just need to find some free time.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Wesley's really got a pretty good attitude about all this. "Eh, maybe she liked me, maybe not. Whatever. The letters were nice, but it was really just the one date."

Ok I haven't been following this strip but I have been catching glimpses of it throughout. Was Forehead trying to set her brother up with Lu Ann because of some ridiculous fantasy she had and is now mad because reality doesn't match her imagination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

This is a really interesting little comic, thanks for posting it.

• Locked thread