Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MacPac posted:

they probably think the next guy is a idiot

True, that sound's plausible. It takes one to know one, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

MacPac posted:

the next guy is always an idiot

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Zakrello posted:

and sure as hell won't step down when he goes afk

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zakrello posted:

This isn't a joke. Aside from all the cases where the AFK guy just doesn't want to give up the reigns of "his" corp, or the only guys available are the lickspittle idiots who everyone knows will run things into the ground immediately, most of the time there just isn't a good successor around.

Eve has way fewer able leaders than it has potential to use. Probably due to the spergy, introverted nature of the average person attracted to eve. If you are naturally talented at being a leader, why not just start your own thing instead? (with blackjack and hookers) You can get hundreds of nerds to follow you even with the dumbest cockamamie plan posted on reddit -- hello Phoebe Freeport Republic -- as long as you follow through with effort of actually leading. It's just that 99% of the people who want to start a corp have no ability and put zero real effort into it.

Hell, Garr Khan put together a wormhole corp devoted to stealing from people and they felt betrayed, but not because he stole their poo poo. They were sad because he was the best CEO they'd ever had! He actually did things like set up a pos, and taught them stuff. This is why scamming is so easy in eve, tons of people are desperate for that kind of thing.

This is the one thing I really hate about PL and wish they didn't do, the way they hoover up every FC and potential leader in the game at every opportunity. Before PL became the retirement destination for people in losing alliances, you used to see the same names pop up over and over again. The annual re-appearance of Bobby Atlas was like some groundhog poo poo, you could set a clock by it. These guys would round up a new pile of bodies and take another stab at the Big Game, because what else were they gonna do? Nowadays anyone with the smallest resume has their finger hovering on their PL app the minute they see failure in the rearview mirror.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

MacPac posted:

I like that answer.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Klyith posted:

cockamamie

I had no idea how was that word spelled and they say internet makes you stupid.

The Hoovering is real I guess. They are kinda loving up their own content left with farming random shitlords and loosing supers in Aridia. Seems counterproductive in this way.
Imagine TEST if they were ruled by Wrik Hoover and all those guys who had the actual experience. Black Legion too, when their other than Elo Knight FCs left they died out. gently caress it even NC. lost so many quality people to PL it is surprising that they are not hating after all those years.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
why try when you can just have fun?

CCP shot themselves in the foot making it harder and harder and less fun trying to do anything in the game.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

yogizh posted:

I had no idea how was that word spelled and they say internet makes you stupid.

The Hoovering is real I guess. They are kinda loving up their own content left with farming random shitlords and loosing supers in Aridia. Seems counterproductive in this way.
Imagine TEST if they were ruled by Wrik Hoover and all those guys who had the actual experience. Black Legion too, when their other than Elo Knight FCs left they died out. gently caress it even NC. lost so many quality people to PL it is surprising that they are not hating after all those years.

To be fair, it's common for people to conglomerate into the bigger/better groups in all walks of life as its just easier, not that I condone it for the health of the game but it's just something that happens

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Klyith posted:

This is the one thing I really hate about PL and wish they didn't do, the way they hoover up every FC and potential leader in the game at every opportunity. Before PL became the retirement destination for people in losing alliances, you used to see the same names pop up over and over again. The annual re-appearance of Bobby Atlas was like some groundhog poo poo, you could set a clock by it. These guys would round up a new pile of bodies and take another stab at the Big Game, because what else were they gonna do? Nowadays anyone with the smallest resume has their finger hovering on their PL app the minute they see failure in the rearview mirror.

You don't think that PL has issues with FC retention? Back when I when I started playing with PL I can't really remember who the big FCs were; probably manny, shadoo, and maybe elendar? Now we have Killah and Ron Mexxico, and a few others (penif ops are the best).

PL also has the attraction for any FC talent that they'll get a few hundred competent players at their disposal, with the character skills and means to try all sorts of neat comps (if you're willing to buy ships and hand them out and collect them, you can do literally anything).

Also

If I'm willing to put in such a huge amount of thankless work, why wouldn't I just set myself up as a freelance business and bid on some projects? At least I'll have enough money for a nice vacation at the end of it

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

yogizh posted:

I have always wondered why people who don't give a gently caress about the game just won't give the leadership of corps and alliance to the next interested guy. What is the point ? Nostalgia ? Epeen ? drat.
Every loving corp I used to be a member of ended like that. CEO went offline with all the rights, rest was unable to recruit and deal with the usual poo poo, members left, the same old story.

:rip: UPAY and NSC (those corps were actually decent and it is a shame that they're dead)

Sometimes in any organization the next most interested person is a nitwit. If you aren't grooming leadership types and just turn things over to an "I do things" type, sometimes a hilarious collapse happens.

Also lol someone said Bobby Atlas, holy poo poo name from the past out of nowhere.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2016

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Rhymenoserous posted:

Sometimes in any organization the next most interested person is a nitwit. If you aren't grooming leadership types and just turn things over to an "I do things" type, sometimes a hilarious collapse happens.

Also lol someone said Bobby Atlas, holy poo poo name from the past out of nowhere.

See Kartoon for more info.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

if gsf reset an alliance because one guy was a shitler you'd have probably never lost the north (sma)

But we did get rid of TEST idgi.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I used to call FA the Dyson poo poo Hoover back in Zagduls coke days and boy howdy shoulda seen the sperg mileage I got out of that one

Syndic Thrass fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 3, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Landsknecht posted:

You don't think that PL has issues with FC retention? Back when I when I started playing with PL I can't really remember who the big FCs were; probably manny, shadoo, and maybe elendar? Now we have Killah and Ron Mexxico, and a few others (penif ops are the best).
If you think about it, FCs are naturally gonna have a short shelf life on average. By the time a person feels comfortable FCing they're well into the normal time that people stick with the game.

quote:

PL also has the attraction for any FC talent that they'll get a few hundred competent players at their disposal, with the character skills and means to try all sorts of neat comps (if you're willing to buy ships and hand them out and collect them, you can do literally anything).

Yeah I'm not at all implying that it's a bad deal for the recruited FCs or PL, it's super attractive for anyone that can cut the mustard. Having lots of FCs is power and it's worked well for PL. Having a place where you win lots of fights is great for a FC. And there's lots of reasons that have nothing to do with PL for why organizations have condensed over the years; how the game is generally more static than it was back in the old days. A lot of it was CCP's fault.

But this is my personal "grrr PL" that I really dislike. Just like PL et al used to say the CFC's pile of blues was making the game dull and bad, I think that that PL's recruiting tactics make the game less interesting for everyone including themselves. Not that I expect them to stop.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Klyith posted:

But this is my personal "grrr PL" that I really dislike. Just like PL et al used to say the CFC's pile of blues was making the game dull and bad, I think that that PL's recruiting tactics make the game less interesting for everyone including themselves. Not that I expect them to stop.

PL's recruiting tactics mean that PL is good at winning, which people tend to like (nobody plays a game to lose)

The CFC's policy of recruiting anything with a pulse is probably also making the game dull and boring, but what can you do?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
you can't blame the players for playing the game the way they want, you can only get upset at the developers for making that the end game (read: 'fight clubs' 'content farming' 'too many blues' 'reduction of risk')

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

you can't blame the players for playing the game the way they want, you can only get upset at the developers for making that the end game (read: 'fight clubs' 'content farming' 'too many blues' 'reduction of risk')

The same can be said the pve as well where the "hard" money making ways like burners and incursions get broken into the most efficient ways of being done. I do think the game needs a better risk vs reward scale tbh, not so much in making things harder/more tedious, but more dangerous.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

working mom posted:

The same can be said the pve as well where the "hard" money making ways like burners and incursions get broken into the most efficient ways of being done. I do think the game needs a better risk vs reward scale tbh, not so much in making things harder/more tedious, but more dangerous.

I kinda agree. I'm only 6 months in, but I've been running DEDs and the isk is pretty good. I have a few people smart bombing and selling me 6/10s which are amazing efficient (average 200m for 25min) compared to 10/10s (250m for 45min). But after I calculate in the cost of buying the bookmarks, I just ask myself why I dont just do incursions? If people are pulling 200m/hr and its no risk, I might as well do that.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

FranktheBank posted:

I just ask myself why I dont just do incursions?

this is a common question which has led most people to one of two conclusions:

1) do incursions
2) don't deal with stupid pubbies and mind numbingly easy and repetitive bullshit

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FranktheBank posted:

I kinda agree. I'm only 6 months in, but I've been running DEDs and the isk is pretty good. I have a few people smart bombing and selling me 6/10s which are amazing efficient (average 200m for 25min) compared to 10/10s (250m for 45min). But after I calculate in the cost of buying the bookmarks, I just ask myself why I dont just do incursions? If people are pulling 200m/hr and its no risk, I might as well do that.

Pretty much, I can't honestly say that I ever really want to do active moneymaking ever again because its so tedious (unless they change it up to make it actually fun/challenging and then I'd do it with the money as a nice bonus tbh), in the end it comes down to isk per effort/click rather than isk per hour because its just so drat grindy

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

this is a common question which has led most people to one of two conclusions:

1) do incursions
2) don't deal with stupid pubbies and mind numbingly easy and repetitive bullshit

Isn't all pve fit the latter part of #2? Granted, I'm fairly new but I've never been like "poo poo is this Centus Tyrant gonna gently caress up my day?"

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

FranktheBank posted:

Isn't all pve fit the latter part of #2? Granted, I'm fairly new but I've never been like "poo poo is this Centus Tyrant gonna gently caress up my day?"

Incursions are very active, I've multiboxed 3-5 ships one time and it's pretty stressful. You can't really alt-tab or take a break so once you're in you're committed to staying the whole time, which is exhausting. I prefer carrier ratting which is comparable with the ability to stop whenever you want, but with the downside of having to stop whenever a cloaky camper appears in system.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
it's not we don't have people able to lead, it's most of them don't wanna step up for a loving game :effort:

think about it, after a long day of boring hard work, u r logging into EVE holding a beer/vodka/whatever and sperg in theta comms, while ratting or busy f1 monkey, what a great way to relax.

some other nerds step-up for a space job, of course he also has a day job so he's working hard for his drat iskes cheques. finally he is off for the day and went home, fire up jabber/mumble, TONS of message appears and he started working again, from time to time atrum yells at him because reasons. and no, he don't have the time to actually play the game, he's too busy fueling POS/diplo poo poo/blah blah blah.

who do u want to be?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My old corp was pretty hard-line about people pulling weight, you want free PvP ships? Well you better turn up for corp mining ops and spend an evening mining/hauling/guarding/scouting. POS mail comes though? Congratulations first person our pos director sees is active you have a job. Didn't fall apart when the CEO left because the four main directors he had were all capable of running the corp. Fell apart when MC, PL and others headhunted our FCs and PVPers.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I've done smartbombing rally points when I was in GSF. There was less of an appetite to run the 6/10's than 10/10. So I guess the appetite for them really drives the return on smartbombing.

When you think you're using 3/4 characters, the smartbombing itself isn't making *that* much when it's split out.

I'm still using VNI's and saving for babies first carrier.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

If I'm willing to put in such a huge amount of thankless work, why wouldn't I just set myself up as a freelance business and bid on some projects? At least I'll have enough money for a nice vacation at the end of it

running a space guild isn't even in the ballpark of "huge amounts" of any kinda work in terms of either effort or difficulty compared to running an actual business :shepface:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

FranktheBank posted:

The incursion sig is more painful than when we used to do incursions with Test. For me that's by far the biggest problem.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Syndic Thrass posted:

I used to call FA the Dyson poo poo Hoover back in Zagduls coke days and boy howdy shoulda seen the sperg mileage I got out of that one

I unironically miss FA, compare them to loving lawn/the bastion/sma and tell me you don't miss zagdul over all of those shitbirds.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

PL's recruiting tactics mean that PL is good at winning, which people tend to like (nobody plays a game to lose)

The CFC's policy of recruiting anything with a pulse is probably also making the game dull and boring, but what can you do?

tbh up until this year our track record for "Winning" was better than PL's so recruiting anything w/a pulse worked too.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I unironically miss FA, compare them to loving lawn/the bastion/sma and tell me you don't miss zagdul over all of those shitbirds.

I, too, miss Zagdul. I say this because I got to enjoy his FCing and not deal with the diplomatic drama. Also, our pseudo-rivalry with FCON was cute.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The pseudo rivalry with FCON only bloomed because the pseudo rivalry with TEST died down.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

The pseudo rivalry with FCON only bloomed because the pseudo rivalry with TEST died down.

It simmered well before TEST was involved in the CFC, though it may have been one-sided. It may have been less "FCON looks down its nose at FA" and more "FA felt like it had something to prove."

Regardless, the Two-Day War over freighters using jump bridges will forever be one of the funnier moments in EVE politics.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh I loving loved Zagdul but as you know I enjoy loving with my friends more than anyone else

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

You do the exact same loving thing you just draw a distinction between PL and horde to keep your vets happy where in goonswarm they all get lumped in together

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Reverand maynard posted:

You do the exact same loving thing you just draw a distinction between PL and horde to keep your vets happy where in goonswarm they all get lumped in together

Which FCs have we recruited recently? Genuinely curious.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Zodium posted:

running a space guild isn't even in the ballpark of "huge amounts" of any kinda work in terms of either effort or difficulty compared to running an actual business :shepface:

If I were to start up a spaceguild right now, I'd probably have to do the following:

1. Set up voice services
2. Recruit people (and constantly recruit)
3. Lead ops (let's say 3 ops a week, maybe 2 roams and 1 something else)
4. JF stuff around, so someone doesn't lose a 1bil bestower in reblier or w/e (I'd probably do LS, because I don't want to deal with WH logistics)
5. Seed markets
6. Recruit more people

Once you have some people you can trust, stuff can be offloaded. But to keep people around it'll take a fair amount of work.

Running an actual business can be a lot of work depending on the business, but if you can do anything involving internet, local businesses are always paying. Hell, setting up something on shopify and doing basic product photography is still in high demand.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Grevlek posted:

I sold as much as I could loaded a shuttle with implants and blueprints and made for jita. Got to the last system before hitting high sec and then hitwarp bubbles and got blown up. Now I start fresh

I know it's a bit too late but if you're a fresh resub in a now-hostile station you can your eveguy and his active ship moved to a (NPC?) station of your choice by submitting a ticket.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

I know it's a bit too late but if you're a fresh resub in a now-hostile station you can your eveguy and his active ship moved to a (NPC?) station of your choice by submitting a ticket.

They will move one ship crammed as full as you can get it.
Unless it has a jump drive, and/or a capital, under no circumstances will they move a capital anymore.

It's also rumored (and unconfirmed as far as i am aware) that if you have capital in the station you log back into, they will also not move your poo poo.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

is there currently a really smart way at moving things by loading a citadel full of tons of poo poo and then blowing it up and having that stuff all moved to a lowsec (or highsec) for really cheap compared to fuel costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Although, (weirdly) if you submit a ticket about wanting a super moved, it gets bumped up the chain to be dealt with by a senior GM. Which makes me suspect that sometimes depending on your alliance ticker (or previous) you may get moved.

• Locked thread