Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I mostly use Asahi in the endgame. Free healing is actions not spent having a demon heal, free smirks can be incredibly powerful if Nanashi or Matador is the recipient, and not having debilitate means the bosses are less likely to freak out and purge buffs/debuffs for hitting +/- 3.

The only partner I haven't liked at all is Gaston, the instant he stole all 4 of my press turns in a random battle was the moment he never got to leave the bench.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used Navarre for roughly 80% of the game and then Toki for the rest. Instant kills made annoying 3x hordes a breeze as well as sealing/def downing bosses ontop of the free damage 1-2 times a turn.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Einwand posted:

I mostly use Asahi in the endgame. Free healing is actions not spent having a demon heal, free smirks can be incredibly powerful if Nanashi or Matador is the recipient, and not having debilitate means the bosses are less likely to freak out and purge buffs/debuffs for hitting +/- 3.

The only partner I haven't liked at all is Gaston, the instant he stole all 4 of my press turns in a random battle was the moment he never got to leave the bench.

Gaston is great when it comes to dealing with Shesha and for anything else I just leave him on the bench. In the end the partners I used were either Asahi for bosses as she allowed me to not worry about healing and Toki for anything else as her ability to deal with random encounters is amazing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I don't think I've ever had Toki as my partner, but hearing that she deletes hordes intrigues me because those are pretty much the only enemies I consistently encounter anymore.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

I don't think I've ever had Toki as my partner, but hearing that she deletes hordes intrigues me because those are pretty much the only enemies I consistently encounter anymore.

When a horde reinforcement shows up it counts as a fresh turn so her instant kill chance rerolls and you can end up having her destroy them before you even spend any resources, it's super handy.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

TurnipFritter posted:

she does, i've run around with her as assist while clearing side quests and her kill triggers quite often, cuts down on time spent doing these missions

estoma probably would too but i'm lazy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, once I got Toki she never left my side during random battles because she utterly trivializes them

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do we know what DLC is hitting today?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do we know what DLC is hitting today?

Cleopatra and Mephisto Bonus battles.

Extra Difficulty Levels

And apparently some mission where we have to murder everyone in Mikado for becoming demons.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I feel like they sort of underplayed the characters reaching the surface and seeing the sky. That should have been this huge "HOLY poo poo" moment like when the Samurai first saw Tokyo in SMT4, but they just kinda went "Oh well the sky is really big!" and moved on. It felt like the characters in Persona 4 were more impressed by the sky after the December dungeon than the characters were here.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That was more of a surprise for the player anyway. The sky was already revealed during shesha's video.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Another thing I like about the partner system: you can have a party of NPCs who all talk to each other for plot reasons yet the gameplay can still revolve around you and your team of demons. Before you were going around more or less solo or with just one person for large stretches.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Pureauthor posted:

Cleopatra and Mephisto Bonus battles.

Extra Difficulty Levels

And apparently some mission where we have to murder everyone in Mikado for becoming demons.

Anyone know what the difficulty levels actually change?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleopatra is tough as h*ck

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I've heard apocalypse brings back everyone's favorite "MC dies, instant Game Over" deal, but other than that, no idea. Probably just generic scale up/down.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Supremezero posted:

I've heard apocalypse brings back everyone's favorite "MC dies, instant Game Over" deal, but other than that, no idea. Probably just generic scale up/down.

I've started a new game on this difficulty, and while I haven't died yet, I'm definitely doing less damage overall. Also, the demon compendium is actually cheaper than on War. I'm assuming this is to help make up for the difficulty increase by letting you customize demons more freely.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the more expensive compendium is lame and I just drop the difficulty to fuse

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

the more expensive compendium is lame and I just drop the difficulty to fuse

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had an incredible battle where my entire team was wiped except for the last demon which had Endure to stay at 1HP. It used Sameracarm on my MC, I got another press turn

I kept Bad Company on him the entire game waiting for this to happen :getin: summoned an entirely fresh demon team back from literally 1HP on one demon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

myriad arrows is definitely a better choice then grand tack, right?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So, I'm having trouble with finding a spot.

It's this National Park Farm Security quest. I can't find the farm or the people. Is it in the water park place? The north one?

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 5, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Aerofallosov posted:

So, I'm having trouble with finding a spot.

It's this National Park Farm Security quest. I can't find the farm or the people. Is it in the water park place? The north one?

Shinjuku National Park.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Shinjuku National Park.

The one I go to on the world map? I ran all over it and didn't find them. Maybe I'll do another lap...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When you enter the park just keep on walking forwards.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

When you enter the park just keep on walking forwards.

Oh wow. Got it. I feel dumb. :shobon: Thank you! And wow. That's uh. Quite a scene.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

Oh wow. Got it. I feel dumb. :shobon: Thank you! And wow. That's uh. Quite a scene.

I felt just as stupid when I repeatedly failed to find the spot which was quite literally right in front of me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This weeks DLC was eh. Beach antics were kinda funny but not 3 dollars funny. The Mikado time trial thing was interesting but not worth it either I don't think. Haven't touched Cleo.

The information DLC also was a whole lot of nothing.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 5, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This weeks DLC was eh. Beach antics were kinda funny but not 3 dollars funny. The Mikado time trial thing was interesting but not worth it either I don't think. Haven't touched Cleo.

The information DLC also was a whole lot of nothing.

Well, it cost a whole lot of nothing, so it evens out, I suppose.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can't beat either Cleopatra or get through Mikado in the turn limit :(

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Well, the "Observation Explained" writeup is kind of a letdown. I was expecting something that took on the whole "rationalizing phenomena such that they get anthropomorphized as demons" and "demons steering human perceptions for their own ideological ends" tangents alluded to in-game in more depth, but then the second half just goes off on its own spiel about language and that just decouples all credibility from any internal sense it might make.

There isn't even a tongue to be had in-cheek on the "we're bleeping YHVH's spoken name because it's theologically quantum/Orthodox Jewish scholars might flip their lids" front, and I can't make any jokes about Babel/Devil Survivor 1 at large because I'm too busy imagining a wheelchair-ridden Tayama popping out to further lecture Nanashi about "DEMONIC ARCHAEA" or somesuch.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Well, the "Observation Explained" writeup is kind of a letdown. I was expecting something that took on the whole "rationalizing phenomena such that they get anthropomorphized as demons" and "demons steering human perceptions for their own ideological ends" tangents alluded to in-game in more depth, but then the second half just goes off on its own spiel about language and that just decouples all credibility from any internal sense it might make.

There isn't even a tongue to be had in-cheek on the "we're bleeping YHVH's spoken name because it's theologically quantum/Orthodox Jewish scholars might flip their lids" front, and I can't make any jokes about Babel/Devil Survivor 1 at large because I'm too busy imagining a wheelchair-ridden Tayama popping out to further lecture Nanashi about "DEMONIC ARCHAEA" or somesuch.

I thought bleeping YHVH's name was because it's unpronounceable. Because that's part of the point of the weird spelling. It's not a word that people can comprehend.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Damage scaling, MC dies = game over, game cheats more often (miss chance increases)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Supremezero posted:

I thought bleeping YHVH's name was because it's unpronounceable. Because that's part of the point of the weird spelling. It's not a word that people can comprehend.

The 'weird spelling' is because ancient Hebrew does not write vowels and the Tetragrammaton is יהוה (read right to left), the letters yod he waw he. YHVH.

It's usually accepted as being pronounced Yahweh if you want to actually say it.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 5, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Aerofallosov posted:

I actually hosed up hard on the fight, got everyone killed except a Gogmagog who then ran out of MP.

Won anyway. Turns out 700+ hp and phys resist kinda makes the Girimehkalas unable to do much :v: Navarre MVP.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Supremezero posted:

Prism posted:

The 'weird spelling' is because ancient Hebrew does not write vowels and the Tetragrammaton is יהוה (read right to left), the letters yod he waw he. YHVH.

It's usually accepted as being pronounced Yahweh if you want to actually say it.

i think what he's getting at is the word is literally unpronounceable; not "i don't know how to say Yahweh" and more "this word is completely stricken from my and everyone's lexicon and manifests as a record scratch everytime i try to say "Yahweh"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought it was kind of lame that It wasn't able to be said when you're denying his divinity to show that he no longer has any power over humanity and his name is no longer sacred. But no one bothers saying it during his fight RIP.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

boy are my arms tired posted:

i think what he's getting at is the word is literally unpronounceable; not "i don't know how to say Yahweh" and more "this word is completely stricken from my and everyone's lexicon and manifests as a record scratch everytime i try to say "Yahweh"

Fair enough. I'm not very far in Apocalypse yet, I got distracted with DQ7 and finishing Trails of Cold Steel, so I haven't seen it used much in-game yet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there any sort of neutral route, or is it purely friends vs. john galt

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

I can't go so far as to say "literally unpronounceable" given humans throw around the record scratch like nothing during the Misoka Moon kickoff on Bonds Route but basically this with shades of assorted "confoundings" of human tongues and capabilities in the Old Testament and a dash of MGS2/MGSV for unintended topicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

is there any sort of neutral route, or is it purely friends vs. john galt

they are both the neutral route. the chaos and law "routes" end the game early.

• Locked thread