Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
~}My Girlfriend{~ loves horror games but isn't really a gamer, and we've been ploughing through a lot of games together and have immensely enjoyed being spooked out, but I'm kind of hitting a brick wall in terms of things I think might be easy and accessible for her to play. I want to play through Silent Hill 2 with her, but I'd much rather she be at the helm as she enjoys it a lot more. She gets bored very quickly if she gets lost or stuck, which is about 50% of SH2's gameplay (I've watched it be played a lot but haven't really played it myself).

Games we've played so far:

Cat Lady very nearly turned her off with the slow intro but we got past it and it was a very cool game. Janky but with a great sense of style.

Walking Dead TTG series (And pretty much all modern TTGs by proxy) are some of her favourites. The fact the story has a pretty forced flow and there's no real way to get lost works very nicely for her.

Anatomy had us both squirming in our seats and was a complete blast.

Amnesia scared the living poo poo out of her (and me, but I've played it before) but she bounced pretty hard off it as some of the puzzles required a lot of tooling around. Chances are if the solution isn't readily available, her patience runs out pretty quickly.

Alan Wake she enjoyed the concept of a lot, but third person controls and combat didn't work well for her and even on the easier settings she found the combat frustrating.

In terms of games I think she might appreciate, I've been eyeing up Oxenfree, the Downfall remake, Chzo Mythos kind of entered my head but I'm not totally sold on it, and possibly SOMA with the monster AI turned off as the puzzles aren't too savage in that game. Any further reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Songbearer posted:

In terms of games I think she might appreciate, I've been eyeing up Oxenfree, the Downfall remake, Chzo Mythos kind of entered my head but I'm not totally sold on it, and possibly SOMA with the monster AI turned off as the puzzles aren't too savage in that game. Any further reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Given that the Chzo Mythos is free and actually spooky, I'd rec it. You might want to give her an LP of the first two games though so you can skip to playing Trilby's Notes, the best and least awkward one in the series. Avoid the last one, though, it's really bad.

e: Mind you, 5DAS is not a good game, and 7DAS is the worst in the series, but 5DAS is necessary to understanding Trilby's Notes, so gotta get through it somehow.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Get Oxenfree. It has pretty good characterization and none of the puzzles are particularly obtuse. It is not really a horror game, but has an excellent atmosphere and sound design.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

StrixNebulosa posted:

Given that the Chzo Mythos is free and actually spooky, I'd rec it. You might want to give her an LP of the first two games though so you can skip to playing Trilby's Notes, the best and least awkward one in the series. Avoid the last one, though, it's really bad.

e: Mind you, 5DAS is not a good game, and 7DAS is the worst in the series, but 5DAS is necessary to understanding Trilby's Notes, so gotta get through it somehow.

Ignore this idiot. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't find out how gloriously batshit the ending to the series is.

Also you can just use a guide for 5DAS and 7DAS and get through them real quick

ZearothK posted:

Get Oxenfree. It has pretty good characterization and none of the puzzles are particularly obtuse. It is not really a horror game, but has an excellent atmosphere and sound design.

Seconding this though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Ignore this idiot. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't find out how gloriously batshit the ending to the series is.

Also you can just use a guide for 5DAS and 7DAS and get through them real quick

Can you blame me for wanting to spare them from the broken neck sex scene?

6DAS is completely, utterly insane and batshit - so it's interesting, but I didn't feel it was anywhere near as good as Trilby's Notes and I thought it'd be better to rec stopping on a high point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Songbearer posted:

~}My Girlfriend{~ loves horror games but isn't really a gamer, and we've been ploughing through a lot of games together and have immensely enjoyed being spooked out, but I'm kind of hitting a brick wall in terms of things I think might be easy and accessible for her to play. I want to play through Silent Hill 2 with her, but I'd much rather she be at the helm as she enjoys it a lot more. She gets bored very quickly if she gets lost or stuck, which is about 50% of SH2's gameplay (I've watched it be played a lot but haven't really played it myself).

Cat Lady very nearly turned her off with the slow intro but we got past it and it was a very cool game. Janky but with a great sense of style.

Walking Dead TTG series (And pretty much all modern TTGs by proxy) are some of her favourites. The fact the story has a pretty forced flow and there's no real way to get lost works very nicely for her.

Amnesia scared the living poo poo out of her (and me, but I've played it before) but she bounced pretty hard off it as some of the puzzles required a lot of tooling around. Chances are if the solution isn't readily available, her patience runs out pretty quickly.

Alan Wake she enjoyed the concept of a lot, but third person controls and combat didn't work well for her and even on the easier settings she found the combat frustrating.

Fran Bow.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Songbearer posted:

do you just want to into space?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

exploding mummy posted:

do you just want to into space?

Goddamnit, beat me to it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sally Face is a thing I've started seeing around a bit and it seems kinda cool, it's very Fran Bow-ish so far, adventure game about a kid with problems, wander around weird places with weird people. The art is more simple but reminds me a lot of it as well, neat looking either way.

HarshlyCritical did a playthrough of episode 1 if you can deal with a nice enough dude's face in the bottom corner.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 4, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If it's newer HC then it'll be ok. When he started he was trying to ape the "scare cam" thing until he chilled out and now he's legit one of the coolest dudes to watch playing lovely (and not lovely i guess) horror games.

I wish he'd re-do earlier games as his chill self now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Seconding this though

Thirding it. My girlfriend and I played Oxenfree together and she ended up getting so into it that she took over and played through most of the game herself. It's probably closest to Life is Strange in terms of tone.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What killed Oxenfree for me was there's waaaaaay too much backtracking with nothing happening towards the end of the game, especially if you want to get all the collectibles.

Also the coda on the original ending was pretty stupid, but I haven't played the new ending they released yet.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

If it's newer HC then it'll be ok. When he started he was trying to ape the "scare cam" thing until he chilled out and now he's legit one of the coolest dudes to watch playing lovely (and not lovely i guess) horror games.

I wish he'd re-do earlier games as his chill self now.

I caught maybe the first five minutes of his Sally Face video. It looks interesting but I wasn't paying close enough attention to really decide what I thought. I'd honestly recommend any of HE'S videos from the last two years or so as he's not screaming like an rear end in a top hat anymore and when he does get scared it's pretty hilarious.

Actually watching him play bad games is pretty hilarious too, and the video for Zombitos (I think that's what it was) had me rolling.

Although I think everyone who enjoyed "Emily Wants to Play" is out of their loving minds because that game pissed me off so much.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i normally don't mind jumpscare games, i mean i love fnaf for example, but emily wants to play is hot garbage

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I prefer Mr.Kravin imo.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tired Moritz posted:

I prefer Mr.Kravin imo.

This is where I'm at. I still love HC but Kravin is this perfect mix of chill, funny, and feisty that never gets old.

But my favorite thing in the entire world are these minigolf videos they've been doing sporadically over the last few months. Both of them get so mad

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

boy are my arms tired posted:

i normally don't mind jumpscare games, i mean i love fnaf for example, but emily wants to play is hot garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhGJYMKlNsA

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

If you're reading this thread and haven't played SOMA yet I'm not sure what you're doing with your life, but it's on sale today so now's your chance to do better.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata

4. SOMA

Frictional Games kicked the horror genre in the rear end with Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and if you don't believe me just look at how many indie horror games have tried to imitate it. Featuring a helpless protagonist, sanity and inventory management, an intense atmosphere, and a grim story, Amnesia became the go-to game to scare the socks off yourself. The announcement of their next game, SOMA, had understandably high expectations pinned to it for years. Much to everyone's relief it proved to be a return to form, streamlined in a lot of ways and improved in plenty of others.

I won't go much into SOMA's story for risk of spoiling many of the twists, but the premise and focus are both worth discussing. You'll find yourself stuck at the bottom of the ocean in a crumbling seabase beset by robots. These aren't your benign BEEP BOOP robots, either. Each one thinks it's a person, thanks to some very questionable experiments into AI and the human psyche. This quickly becomes the main thrust of the game, what it means to be a sentient being, and how we define our identity and our existence.

If that doesn't sound very scary to you, I guess you've never had an existential crisis. Believe it or not, the biggest scares in the game come not from lumbering monsters or loud noises but from the revelations you uncover as you proceed. There are quite a few story beats in the game where part of the mystery is revealed of who you are or how things happened, and each is set up perfectly through environmental cues and dialog for maximum impact. There were so many moments where I sat agape at my desk, poring over the implications of what I just learned.

I mentioned dialogue, and fans of Amnesia may be shocked to discover there's quite a bit of it in SOMA. Your protagonist is voiced and not at all shy about giving his opinion on the matters at hand. The seabase is also not nearly as empty as it might seem, with quite a few... things to converse with. Put aside any fears that this might spoil the atmosphere though, because every line of dialogue is expertly written with the overarching narrative in mind, adding to the horrible gravity of your situation. What might seem like an idle chat will soon reveal its darker side, I assure you.

This isn't to say the whole game is just talking and pondering, of course. There are monsters, not many, but enough. Each is a little different in how it hunts you, with some being blind, some being fast, and so on. They tend to patrol in areas with loops so you can bait them into following you the long way around, or just breaking past them once they pass. None of these factors stop them from being loving terrifying beasts that howl, shriek, gurgle, and run you down with frightful vigor. Being chased in SOMA is a heart-stopping experience, heightened by the many effective audio and visual cues designed to torment you.

All these horrors unfold in a world of impressive detail and rare atmosphere. Virtually every object can be lifted, turned, examined, and tossed, from pencils to pneumatic pumps. The computers have fully-functional interfaces, and some machines require complex interactions to use. This can add to the mounting horror as well, if you're racing to set the pins on a circuit board while a creature is stalking you. You'll also notice a pervasive air of decay and hopelessness, partly in how the facility is falling apart but also in some very effective world-building details you'll come across.

Honestly there's very little I can say that's not radiantly positive about SOMA. There's a B-plot that deals with the monsters and their origins that's a bit underdeveloped, but that's such a minor consideration in light of the incredible main story. You'll encounter a few difficult choices to make but they don't actually affect the game or provide branching paths, they're just more ways to get into your head. SOMA is a completely linear game, and though it'll last you a good 10 hours I doubt you'll find much reason to replay it unless you feel you missed a lot of notes or details the first time around.

There are so many things that SOMA does right that it's hard to nail down any one element, but I keep coming back to the atmosphere every time I think about it. Rarely have I ever felt so tense and so powerless as I have on the long, solitary treks across the dark ocean floor. The percolating of my dive suit, the distant cries of sea life, and the hazy glows of facility floodlights over the next rise pull me into the game in a way so few others have. And to be pulled into SOMA so completely is to experience one of the best horror games the genre has to offer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I impulse-bought a copy of The Evil Within for like $10 for Scary Games Month, did I gently caress up and buy a bad game by mistake?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I impulse-bought a copy of The Evil Within for like $10 for Scary Games Month, did I gently caress up and buy a bad game by mistake?

It's not really a scary game but I enjoyed it nonetheless, it's really more action with some really light stealth elements.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

You bought a divisive game that you will either enjoy or desperately want your $10 back. I can't guarantee which one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SOMA's dialogue was bad, its narrative wasn't anything thought-provoking or new, the monsters were irritating and out of place and the player character's about as appealing as Bubsy the Bobcat.

I'm still kind of annoyed that I was never able to love that game like so many other people do.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not glad I paid $60 for it but I am glad I played it. It's dumb at times, but still managed to be fun for me.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I was poking around the FNAF games since they're on sale and I saw a new announcement for the upcoming one, Sister Location...

quote:

Hey guys, I wanted to post an announcement that this game might be postponed, and I'm not really sure when it would be released.

There are certain plot elements that are very dark, to the point where I sometimes feel sick. There would be no easy fix to this. I either release it Friday as it is, or I delay it by several months to completely rework the plot into something kid-friendly.

I'm unsure what I'm going to do. As always, thanks for your support.

:stare: What happened to this dude

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's probably something lame like "oooh satanic sacrifice"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
SOMA purchased. Been meaning to pick this up. Bought the bad Amnesia game instead of the good one, so I thought the company had gone to poo poo post Penumbra, but then found out it was a farmed out spinoff so I am looking forward to this one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Too Shy Guy posted:

I was poking around the FNAF games since they're on sale and I saw a new announcement for the upcoming one, Sister Location...

Scott Cawthon's first appearance was putting up an animated retelling of The Pilgrim's Progress, a Christian allegory. He lucked into a popular horror series, but I'm pretty sure he's still fairly religious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also the vast majority of his early work is kid friendly clickteam RPGs starring Flan that look like Veggietales characters. He's a family man making games for his kids which I find really admirable.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

The Evil Within is a game that has a lot I like about it but also cannot stand because of how bullshit the game can be and how it loves throwing enemies and traps that are one hit kill at you. It's like I don't even know why they bother giving the player a health bar when a good 60% of the obstacles in the game will kill you in one hit.

I do like the combat though and the earlier chapters are extremely tense and the story is nonsensical but interestingly so. There's a lot to like but also a lot to dislike. So it's hard to tell if you'll like it or not.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked The Evil Within and I also liked Soma.

I am easy to please.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Oxxidation posted:

SOMA's dialogue was bad, its narrative wasn't anything thought-provoking or new, the monsters were irritating and out of place and the player character's about as appealing as Bubsy the Bobcat.

I'm still kind of annoyed that I was never able to love that game like so many other people do.

I loving hated it.

Never got the fuss about it at all. A who-gives-a-poo poo story with unlikeable characters and boring level design.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

I disagree with you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

I loving hated it.

Never got the fuss about it at all. A who-gives-a-poo poo story with unlikeable characters and boring level design.

The fact that you of all people agree with me is proof that I'm on the wrong side of this argument.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

spudsbuckley posted:

I loving hated it.

I liked the angerfish, and I liked a lot of the setpiece puzzles.

The plot is about as deep as the nightmare you'd have after a night of watching old Star Trek stories while remembering a summary of Reasons and Persons, which isn't bad for a horror game, but I guess it sells better with goons than "Boo! Spooky Castle" and "Hey the industrial revolution was pretty hosed, amiright?"

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Soma is good

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Too Shy Guy posted:

A large portion of FNAF fans are preteens, to the point that Target sells FNAF stuff in their toy section. I'm not surprised that Scott would be worried about losing a big portion of the audience if he goes too dark. That being said, he has done psyche out moments like this before (like when Sister Location was "cancelled due to leaks"), so it's possible that he's messing with us.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gann Jerrod posted:

A large portion of FNAF fans are preteens, to the point that Target sells FNAF stuff in their toy section. I'm not surprised that Scott would be worried about losing a big portion of the audience if he goes too dark. That being said, he has done psyche out moments like this before (like when Sister Location was "cancelled due to leaks"), so it's possible that he's messing with us.

"Horror game postponed indefinitely due to being too dark" would make for amazing marketing copy

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Industrial Revolution Did Nothing Wrong

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bogart posted:

The Industrial Revolution Did Nothing Wrong

-ayn rand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

boy are my arms tired posted:

I've never recorded more angry Let's Play than "Emily Wants to Play" just a half hour of getting progressively more angry as I rage at poo poo jump scare mechanics.

FNAF is at least clear in how it's mechanics work and how to win.