Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Psion posted:

I laughed at that one. I mean, here's the thing. It sounds dumb. It also sounds exactly like something Defense Contractor #3 would try to sell to DOD. And probably succeed. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's bleakly appropriate.

consider Rockwell's FireStorm Integrated Targeting System (yes, FireStorm, just like that) and there's also Raytheon's Handheld Integrated Targeting System for the same HITS acronym. These are real things, or at least real Powerpoint presentations :v:

Very true, although you can't help but feel Rockwell weren't quite on the ball with FITS. I mean, HITS works, but think about it... "Rockwell's Firestorm Integrated System of Targeting. [FIST appears on screen] Our Iron Glove never misses! FIST your enemies today!" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Random question, but have you ever been able to get the Global ASM skill to work in Free Mission?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Deep Strike

Mission 7: Operation Blackout – December 16th, 2004

Overview: Mobius 1 is dispatched to cripple a vital piece of Erusean-occupied infrastructure: the solar power farms in the Faith Park region. Disrupting power to vital Erusean facilities will allow ISAF to operate more freely elsewhere on the mainland while the Eruseans scramble to restore the plant to operational status.

However, this mission puts the ISAF air strike team within Stonehenge’s firing range for the first time.

Meanwhile, in San Salvacion, the Storyteller Boy makes a startling discovery about the Barkeep’s Daughter and her family…

Guest Commentator: The fantastic frozentreasure joins me for this video. FT has generously volunteered to LP the export edition of Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, specifically the PAL version, which is virtually identical to the NTSC-UC version, as a contrast to Lunethex’s LP of the Project Nemo fan translation of the original Japanese version of Electrosphere. I show up several times across his LP as a guest commentator, so this is him completing the circle, if you will.

FAITH PARK

Briefly glimpsed in both Ace Combat 2 and Assault Horizon Legacy, the Faith Park region in north eastern Usea is a vast arid stretch of land dotted by many canyons, buttes, mesas, and mountains lying between Expo City and Port Edwards.

The region was once home to a Minuteman ballistic missile launch facility located deep in the Faith Park Gorge, however its capture by the Usean Rebel Forces during the Continental War of 98 and its destruction at the hands of Scarface Squadron during Operation Eldorado led to the FCU shuttering the facility following the end of the war. Faith Park also lies close to the Tango Line, the outermost extreme of Stonehenge’s firing range. As such, the area is dotted with impact craters from the Ulysses 1994XF04 asteroid impact due to Stonehenge’s inability to destroy the smaller asteroid fragments effectively at extreme distance.

One of the larger impact craters in the region, Mackenzie Crater, was repurposed by a utilities subsidiary of the rapidly growing Usean General Resource LTD. corporation, to serve as the parabolic base for a brand new solar power facility.

SAN SALVACION RESISTANCE

This chapter introduces us to the San Sanvacion Resistance. Or rather, unveils them, as we’ve already “met” a couple of its members before.

The Skykid Bar owner, his employees, and his daughter, are all active Resistance members. Together, they serve as the covert intelligence front for the SSR, gathering loose intel from the Erusean soldiers and pilots who frequent Skykid. The Barkeep’s previously traitorous seeming friendliness and catering to the Eruseans has been revealed to be a calculated act to get them to loosen their inhibitions and share military secrets out in the open amongst a civilian cohort whom they think are both friends, and could not possibly know anything about what they’re discussing.

All information gathered by the Skykid SSR cell is then disseminated throughout the Resistance cells across San Salvacion as well as forwarded onto ISAF GHQ on North Point via a hijacked Erusean ethernet line.

This revelation throws the Storyteller Boy even further into conflict with himself and his surroundings. With his Uncle vanished by the Erusean Secret Police for making anti-Erusea statements, the boy is now functionally on his own in the world, and the two camps who have taken him in and given him a home among their ranks; Yellow Squadron and the Resistance; are actively at war with one another.

The boy finds himself torn between his burgeoning friendship with Yellow 13 and Yellow 4, and his loyalty to his country and countrymen. He’s thrust into an oddly strategic position suddenly. He could end the Resistance in a sentence by revealing them to Yellow 13, or he could obliterate Yellow Squadron all the same by revealing their secrets to the Resistance. Or he could do neither, and let them fight it out and see who comes out on top.

Also of note, this interlude segment which reveals the Resistance is also one of the story segments that got censored for the European and North American releases of the game. In the image above, the Barkeep’s Daughter is mostly obscured by shadows, but can be clearly seen to be holding something. In the Japanese version, she is holding a shotgun at the ready and acting as the door guard. Again, just like the instance of the Storyteller Boy acquiring a knife and gun earlier in the game, the shotgun is edited out to avoid any depictions of minors wielding deadly weaponry. The shotgun is also edited out of another frame in the vignette as well where the frame is redrawn sans gun.

So there you go, it’s taken us three and a half games to get here, but you can now cross Child Soldiers off your big giant list of “What War Crimes Will Ace Combat Explore Next?”

De Vico
  • Plane: Tornado IDS
  • Mission 7
  • Spawn conditions: Appears far north of the Mackenzie Crater solar power plant.

Kadorhal posted:

Ace Number Seven is De Vico. Named for Father Francesco de Vico, born May 19th, 1805. Italian astronomer and Jesuit priest, in 1835 becoming the assistant superintendent and then in 1839 the director of the Vatican Observatory. His career was cut short by the Italian revolutions of 1848, but in that time he discovered a number of comets; alongside the American Maria Mitchell, who independently discovered the comet C/1847 T1 two days before de Vico, he was awarded a gold medal from the Danish King Frederick VI for being one of the first two people to discover a comet by way of telescope rather than by the unaided eye in 1847. He toured Paris, London, and the United States in his search for a new home after leaving Italy, planning to settle in America and once again touring Europe to recruit colleagues to come with him; he was unfortunately worn out from the constant traveling and died on November 15th, 1848, at 43 years old.

The in-game De Vico flies the other swing-wing craft in the game, the Tornado Interdictor/Strike craft. Possibly owing to that, his paint scheme like Levy's also includes Red Baron on the tail, this time flying a plane of his own.

What's interesting to note, however, is that "Free Erusea" is written on the fuselage and the nose - foreshadowing to the resistance movement from Ace Combat 5's Arcade Mode, perhaps.

Tracks featured in Mission 7:

DISC 1

Concept art of the Mackenzie Crater Solar Power Plant and Faith Park George

ACES AT WAR page:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 7, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Let's Play Ace Combat 04: Environmentalists' Lament

Regarding the Ace Combat 7 speculation, somehow I get a funny feeling the final mission will ask you to fly up into the space elevator and have a dogfight inside the space station at the other end.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
So, it failed to reliably target the smaller asteroid fragments but Stonehenge can hit fighter planes with little effort?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Cythereal posted:

Let's Play Ace Combat 04: Environmentalists' Lament

Regarding the Ace Combat 7 speculation, somehow I get a funny feeling the final mission will ask you to fly up into the space elevator and have a dogfight inside the space station at the other end.

Please, that's not Ace Combat-y enough.

What you'll do is climb up to the top of the elevator and fly down its shaft, in a straight nose dive, to blast the nuclear missile lifting off from the bottom and dodging the explosion at the last second, exiting via a conveniently-sized service tunnel.

:911:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Da_Higg posted:

So, it failed to reliably target the smaller asteroid fragments but Stonehenge can hit fighter planes with little effort?

Compared to asteroids zooming in at reentry speed (in excess of Mach 25), fighter planes flying at top speed are hilariously slow targets.

Plus, as you'll notice in the video in the "failed" run, its not actually a projectile from Stonehenge that kills me, its the massive shockwave it produced as the shell flies past literally ripping the plane apart :eng101:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Kind of disappointed you didn't go for the Tornado. Also I'm amazed that they didn't strap more ordnance to that Hornet.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Stonehenge doesn't make any drat sense. Asteroid fragments may be faster but they also have predictable, ballistic trajectories. And aren't Stonehenge's projectiles inert and purely kinetic? so why do they explode?

Not saying it doesn't look cool but, as an AA weapon it just doesn't make sense. A ballistic missile defense system maybe

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So basically, "Mobius 1 is secretly Guy Gardner" is what I'm getting from Crow's observations. Or at least some equivalent level of rear end in a top hat.

Although, I do have to compliment Usea for making the best out of a natural disaster and repurposing an impact crater into a solar power plant. Too bad ISAF decided that scorched Earth policy is the best form of offense for this war.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I suppose I should point out, in deference to the game, that there are only three targets you need to destroy in this mission to complete it: the three control stations. Everything else is an optional target... unless you want to get the S rank for this mission, in which case :flame:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

nine-gear crow posted:

I show up several times across his LP as a guest commentator, so this is him completing the circle, if you will.

Okay.

Missions 13 to 16: Claustrophobia, Reaching For Stars, Guardian Angel, Zero Gravity
Part 05: " "

Space.

Space.

Space.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 4, 2017

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Ace Number Seven is De Vico. Named for Father Francesco de Vico, born May 19th, 1805. Italian astronomer and Jesuit priest, in 1835 becoming the assistant superintendent and then in 1839 the director of the Vatican Observatory. His career was cut short by the Italian revolutions of 1848, but in that time he discovered a number of comets; alongside the American Maria Mitchell, who independently discovered the comet C/1847 T1 two days before de Vico, he was awarded a gold medal from the Danish King Frederick VI for being one of the first two people to discover a comet by way of telescope rather than by the unaided eye in 1847. He toured Paris, London, and the United States in his search for a new home after leaving Italy, planning to settle in America and once again touring Europe to recruit colleagues to come with him; he was unfortunately worn out from the constant traveling and died on November 15th, 1848, at 43 years old.

The in-game De Vico flies the other swing-wing craft in the game, the Tornado Interdictor/Strike craft. Possibly owing to that, his paint scheme like Levy's also includes Red Baron on the tail, this time flying a plane of his own.
What's interesting to note, however, is that "Free Erusea" is written on the fuselage and the nose - foreshadowing to the resistance movement from Ace Combat 5's Arcade Mode, perhaps.

On the subject of censorship, it was mentioned earlier that one cutscene had the storyteller boy reveal he had a knife and pistol he managed to steal from someone at some point. In this cutscene too, the barkeep's daughter is holding a shotgun when the boy discovers what's going on. Nope, can't have guns in our war crime simulator!

And, again, I've got to agree on the music in this game. I've been avoiding Infinity for the past month or so now, waiting until Project Aces stops being Project Asses and adds my loving Phoenix emblem to the medal exchange (which is probably going to happen about a week before either the game shuts down or my house catches fire again), but with how much of that game's soundtrack came from 04 I'm kind of wanting to get back into it just to hear it again.
And, yeah, getting hit by flak in these games is more random luck on the game's part than any effectiveness of it as an air defense. I know I got my poo poo wrecked by it once when I did my Ace mode run through Zero, but that's the only time it's ever hit me in any of the games.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I love the fact that this solar plant is so large and efficient that it outputs as much power as a nuclear goddamn reactor.

Last time I played this game, I just chuckled a bit.

Fun fact - First time I played this game, I didn't get an F-16 until this mission, because it never occurred to me to shoot things that weren't marked as targets. (I was playing on Easy mode)

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Another week, another couple of missions.

Mission 4: Oil Rigs

Who are the ASF? I thought we were fighting General Resources. Maybe they're some sort of subsidiary branch of the company, like Alternative Source of Fuel.

Anti-Social Fans?
Approaching Six Figures?

Anyway, our goal for this mission is to destroy the Aryan Society of Finland's oil resources, which won't cause any environmental impact in the slightest.

Now, we could take this new puppy for a spin, but I'm thinking we need something a little more ground-focused, so it's back to the Stinger.

And since we've a lot of targets to chew through, we're going to need quantity over quality. The unguided bombs should do us just fine.

Maybe we're just going to be demolishing the structures on top. That should be fine, right?

We've been seeing a lot of the ocean lately, but I promise this will be the last time for a little bit.

Have we considered just capturing them? Or is our military made up of nothing but one pilot and a tanker?

You might recall that our secondary goal was to destroy all land targets, which might lead you to believe from Mission 2 that they're going to force us to destroy all the boats in the level too. Fortunately, that isn't the case.

It takes me a while to remember that though.

Quite the facility you've got there, General Resources. Be a shame if someone were to drop a bomb on it.

Oops.

I should mention that it takes two direct hits from these dummy-fire missiles to take out a boat, so unless you're really skilled at dodging, they're gonna chew you up pretty badly.

5/18 Oil Rigs Bombed. This is what I imagine an Ace Combat MMO would look like.

As we come up to the next batch of rigs, we discover the true secondary objective. Surprise, it's SAM sites again.

Also, occasionally a satellite dish. Not sure if that's part of the objectives, but I bomb it anyway.

Because it's there.

There are a lot of fighter jets roaming around on this map. If you haven't noticed though, it's pretty easy to ignore enemy planes, because their own gatling gun is as pathetic as our own, and they only occasionally fire missiles.

Really, the bigger problem is that the skies can get pretty crowded, and ramming too many of these guys in close succession can sting a little.

"We could show you this by having the map get progressively darker, but that would require us to apply a filter of some kind."

The game's not lying to you this time. If you destroy all the missile launchers, you're in the clear.

And the rigs follow soon after.

Now once again, check out how long it takes this flying tub to get back to base.

I am so looking forward to having a faster plane.

Check out that score, by the way. Killing ground targets can really help you rack up the points. Normally that wouldn't matter, but...

Mission 5: Patrol

The game's about to start flipping things on their head.

Mostly by misleading the player entirely. You'll see what I mean in a second.

Got a new plane. It's a nice all-rounder, as you can see, but I did say we'd be trying out the new S-rank plane.

So the JSF it is! The Talon II can wait for the next mission.

The mission briefing suggested that aerial combat would be the role of the day, so we'd best outfit ourselves for the occasion. AAMs will remove any of those annoying little planes from the sky in a single shot, they're homing, and this bird comes with 80 of them.

A decent summary of the carnage to come.

So, welcome back to the jungle. Been a while since we've seen this map.

Still on this nonsense, eh? It's a good thing we've got a minimap to show us where the actual objective is, right?

As we approach the objective, our first victims roll up. You'll notice that they're only 50 points each, so getting to 1500 might take a while.

Don't ask me who these guys are. I suspect they're supposed to be our wingmen who are totally flying with us as we speak, but in effect, they're the cheerleaders of the sky.

SAMs are worth 100 points each, and this level has a whole lot of them, since we're flying through enemy territory like a total dingus. An alternate strategy to farming planes might be to bomb every single ground target in the level and make up whatever's left with the default 96 mini-missiles.

As a matter of fact, that's probably a lot smarter than shooting at planes. Wonder why I didn't do that.

Moving right along, our actual goal for this level is a repeat of Mission 1, following a series of nav points while dodging anti-air fire.

Now granted, I haven't actually run out the clock to see if I can win the mission that way, but given how the rest of the game works, that would probably net me an instant failure.

Looking at it, taking out all the ground targets would have easily let me reach my goal. And I'm reasonably certain that the oil rig mission had more planes coming at me at any given time. I actually had to divebomb a couple of anti-air placements just because I was nervous about meeting my goal. That's how dire the plane situation was.

Anyways, once we reach our third nav point, something interesting happens.

That's right! The instant we're told to come home, our radar starts intermittently flipping out, pointing us in the wrong direction and making it impossible to see enemy targets.

Now I want you to think about that. With the narrow field of view that the game gives us, the radar has basically been our only way to see enemies before they start shooting at us.

Oh look, two more pla-

And just like that, the radar's gone again. Granted, in this case we can actually see the planes physically, but it's completely possible to just blow on by a bunch of juicy targets when we need to make up the points.

Also, this might just be some fault in the way the homing missile code works, but at this point in the recording, the AAMs start going off at weird tangents as well, making it hard to shoot these guys down.

Screw it.

At least our plane flies straight.

Now, as long as we go the way the radar's pointing when it's not broken...

If there's any consolation to this crappy gimmick, it's that this is the only time they pull it on you. Instead, we just have to deal with the ordinary kind of garbage. For instance...

Coming Up: Escort missions.

Y-25C JSF

Speed: The MIS but better
Air-to-Air: The MIS but better
Air-to-Ground: The MIS but the same
Mobility: The MIS plus one
Defense: Did I mention the MIS?

80 Air-to-Air Heat-Seeking Missiles
20 Unguided Air-to-Ground Missiles
20 Homing Air-to-Ground Missiles
40 Cluster Missiles

Analysis: Basically, if you aren't going anti-air, find another plane. This one's phenomenal for its chosen role, but outside of that role, and a lot of missions in this game involve dealing with ground targets, there are far greater options to choose from.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Oh god, it's the ravine Stonehenge mission. It's easy enough if you use a reasonably fast plane, but one of my indelible childhood memories is slowly hauling rear end south in a freshly bought A-10 Thunderbolt, being chased by some bloody persistent fighters, and there being NO BLOODY SPACE TO DODGE THE MISSILES.

Never again. I've never used that drat plane in any of the subsequent flight sims I've ever played.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

sandorius posted:

Oh god, it's the ravine Stonehenge mission. It's easy enough if you use a reasonably fast plane, but one of my indelible childhood memories is slowly hauling rear end south in a freshly bought A-10 Thunderbolt, being chased by some bloody persistent fighters, and there being NO BLOODY SPACE TO DODGE THE MISSILES.

Never again. I've never used that drat plane in any of the subsequent flight sims I've ever played.

Dude the A-10 is the best plane for that mission. It goes so slowly that if you brake for any amount of time at all the pursuing fighters just shoot right past you due to their scripting and you just pick them off easy as pie.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

sandorius posted:

hang on, fighters chase you through the ravine?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Inglonias posted:

hang on, fighters chase you through the ravine?

Sometimes they do and it's annoying given that you're trapped by terrain on three sides and by Stonehenge above

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

NobleSixFour posted:

Dude the A-10 is the best plane for that mission. It goes so slowly that if you brake for any amount of time at all the pursuing fighters just shoot right past you due to their scripting and you just pick them off easy as pie.

Top Gun rules on air combat, right here.

This does lead to amusing situations in other AC games where, in order to S-rank a mission which is nominally "go fast and chase x, get to point y, etc" the solution is to immediately stomp on the airbrakes and shoot every pursuer up the tailpipe and then proceed.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

sandorius posted:

eh, the A-10 is great for the pearl harbor mission if you have the patience for it. :v:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The next game can stick you in a real poo poo situation if you pick the A-10 for every ground mission, it's great.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Nanomashoes posted:

The next game can stick you in a real poo poo situation if you pick the A-10 for every ground mission, it's great.

Yeah, I have got some...*thoughts* about the way AC5 handles planes/weapons that I will unload when we get there.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

And that mission is what got me into going into Ace difficulty with woefully underequipped planes. It's probably my favorite mission in the series.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Counterpoint: QAAMs are huge timesavers

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Especially since the PSP titles are basically barely modified versions of AC4, and double especially since air combat in ACJA takes place at like half speed, which I'll go into more when I LP it.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I hope I made someone at least briefly mad with that :v:

But drat I wouldn't like being on the receiving end of a 04 QAAM, those things are persistent. I'll fire one and get a "destroyed" notification like two kills later. In the debriefing replay it looks like my white arrow calmly glides about while enemy planes run in circles as if followed by swarms of bees. Whoever says that the AH QAAMs are as deadly as 04's have no idea what they are talking about

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And that mission is what got me into going into Ace difficulty with woefully underequipped planes. It's probably my favorite mission in the series.
Doing that with an A-10 is the one true way of completing that mission.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
It is nigh on impossible for me to play Merlon with anything other than the A-10. It's the only plane slow enough that I cannot possibly fly into the laser at the end.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

radintorov posted:

Doing that with an A-10 is the one true way of completing that mission.

Nah, the A-10 in that game has 17 in air to air and 34 in mobility. Those numbers are just too high. We need to get at least one of those down by at least thirty percent.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah, the A-10 in that game has 17 in air to air and 34 in mobility. Those numbers are just too high. We need to get at least one of those down by at least thirty percent.

Air to air is air lock on speed, clearly the important stats to dump are speed and mobility.
e: maybe stability too? what does that even do?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Nanomashoes posted:

e: maybe stability too? what does that even do?

Lets you fly more slowly without stalling. It's pretty important for an low-altitude attacker that wants to really work over targets.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

i appreciate the Osea t-shirt

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

hackbunny posted:

I hope I made someone at least briefly mad with that :v:

But drat I wouldn't like being on the receiving end of a 04 QAAM, those things are persistent. I'll fire one and get a "destroyed" notification like two kills later. In the debriefing replay it looks like my white arrow calmly glides about while enemy planes run in circles as if followed by swarms of bees. Whoever says that the AH QAAMs are as deadly as 04's have no idea what they are talking about

:agreed: Those things are straight up an I WIN button and while it is fun to chump the last mission with them the crappy 1v1 :airquote: multiplayer :airquote: always degenerated to whoever can outlast the other's supply of QAAMs.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Verdafolio posted:

i appreciate the Osea t-shirt

I find that I *want* the Osea t-shirt

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Thefluffy posted:

:agreed: Those things are straight up an I WIN button and while it is fun to chump the last mission with them the crappy 1v1 :airquote: multiplayer :airquote: always degenerated to whoever can outlast the other's supply of QAAMs.

This is a problem in AC6 MP also. They did fix it in AH mp, the best part of that game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Meanwhile, Infinity's QAAMs might as well just be slightly more powerful regular missiles for all the tracking they do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm not sure how else you'd balance them, though it could be Infinity took it too far, I don't know.

Magic QAAM missiles which shoot out of your rear end and go directly into targets behind you is the province of badly scripted final boss encounters involving overly long QTEs (not bitter) and in no way shape or form balanced. They can't be so good at tracking as to render evasive action useless but if they aren't better enough over regular missiles there's no reason to take them. It's a tough spot.

the only missile which should be ultimate killdeath when it hits is a SAAM because keeping a lock circle on someone (especially the smaller circle in more recent games) is something which both requires skill and renders you hideously vulnerable to taking a missile yourself. If this means I can rack up a huge kill streak in using a MiG-21 or F-4, that's fine. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Psion posted:

the only missile which should be ultimate killdeath when it hits is a SAAM because keeping a lock circle on someone (especially the smaller circle in more recent games) is something which both requires skill and renders you hideously vulnerable to taking a missile yourself. If this means I can rack up a huge kill streak in using a MiG-21 or F-4, that's fine. :)

If you're taking a MiG-21 without gunpods I don't even know what to tell you. :colbert: