Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The next patch is the one that adds leader traits, which is cool. I think the whole thing seems neat from what they've shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
Thinking about a Kushite Restoration run. Makuria is Shia & Nubian ideas are alright which is cool, but it looks like a tough 50 years to kick off.

e: looks like I could do Alodia too... might be better to buddy up with Ethiopia and forge north.

MindSet fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 27, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you ally Adal you should be able to take Makuria easy. My only problem with the idea is that you have all the same problems Ethiopia does without being Christian or having the good Portugal events.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

Alodia's coptic.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
My only memory of CK2 before I got into Victoria was my character, who was 68 years old, Holy Roman Emperor, father of 8 children, widower of two women, suddenly realized that he was gay, and died in the month. What a tragic life.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah gently caress I just realized I need to finish this loving game before the patch comes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you can roll back patches in the beta tab

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MindSet posted:

Alodia's coptic.

I meant Alodia when I said Makuria. Muslims hate heretics though so who knows

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oh boy its amatuer game dev time in games thread. i cant wait to see people vomit out ideas with no regard to how playable they are outside their imagination

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Estates are perfectly workable and really t just adds to the game when you have to pause it longer and longer to click at the UI, really adds to the strategy when you decide which 1/1/1 province the Nobility should get

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

estates give you so many interesting choices, like "gently caress it i'm not going to bother with this horseshit" and

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Estates feel a bit mandatory because of those free 100-150 monarch points in each category every 15? years. And the colonization bonuses are fantastic. But yeah, it's just a lot more clicking and a very limited list of new events that get old after the first playthrough. You can avoid dealing with estates by playing a merchant republic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The MF ice rear end guy

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

still have yet to play any type of republic. maybe I'll try a milan game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hamburg has the most absurdly over powered ideas for a Republic, and Venice is almost as good. If you combo it with the policy that gives bonus RT you can re-elect rulers for centuries

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hambubger

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Hamburg has the most absurdly over powered ideas for a Republic, and Venice is almost as good. If you combo it with the policy that gives bonus RT you can re-elect rulers for centuries

So the secret of playing a republic, is to effectively make it a monarchy?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pewdiepie posted:

So the secret of playing a republic, is to effectively make it a monarchy?

It's better than a monarchy because you can (1) quickly get rid of an excommunicated ruler and (2) bump up your leader stats across the board every few years. Plus you get all the obvious bonuses of being a merchant republic, like enough money to fund a standing merc army and give them to anyone fighting a war against your enemies. The only REAL drawback is not being able to marry other rulers for the relations bump and protection against surprise wars. If you're Venice, any nearby power you're allied to, like Austria, is liable to suddenly break the alliance, rival you, and declare war as soon as the truce is over. Royal marriages buy you time. Human players obviously don't care much about the stability hit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The AI doesn't either

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The D.E.N.N.I.S. system.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

that mod is real good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

that mod is real good

I really need to give it a shot

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BBJoey posted:

that mod is real good

how feature complete is it now

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

how feature complete is it now

I'd say it's at least as good as the standard game in terms of variety of starts, decisions etc. there are some things that still need to be fleshed out though like South America. also it works with reaper's due but doesn't use all the mechanics yet like a deadly epidemic etc

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I'm gonna get Civ6

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

pre-ordered the deluxe edition, hope it's not poo poo lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

I'm gonna get Civ6

Same, although I'm gonna wait until a little after release before getting it, in case it's like what Beyond Earth apparently turned out to be. (Never got BE, but friends who did say it wasn't great)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

be was just civ 5 except worse balance and less variety; so total dogshit

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I was planning on waiting a while for reviews too but then I saw a really insanely positive preview article from RPS the same day I noticed that BundleStars has it for 20% off if you preorder so I gave in to temptation.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

StashAugustine posted:

be was just civ 5 except worse balance and less variety; so total dogshit

the unit upgrade system was cool. unfortunately, that was about it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Civ6 is gonna be a fuckload of rear end

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

rediscover posted:

I'm gonna get Civ6

Mods?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Don't talk about civ in here, fuckwits.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I heard from peeps who have played it that it's the most feature complete civ game at launch EVAR. so yeah, im a little stoked.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's gonna have less features than Civ 2

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I'm looking forward to Civ6 as well. 4 was better than 5 but 5 was still a good game and they can't just make the same game over and over again after all so I'm glad they try to change things up

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

This is now the Civ thread

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
but where is pepe silvia

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

but where is pepe silvia

Haha. Always Sunny ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched a video of Civ VI and it looks identical to Civ V