Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Highwang posted:

Happy birthday to me. Here's a LP update for you all

Episode 19: On the road to a Cannon

Today we recruit a new Jester and test out Finale. Turns out its pretty good but still suffers the same grievances I had with it initially so its kinda still in that opinion zone of mine.

Also, Red Hook drops a reveal on us: DLC coming out early 2017: "The Crimson Court"

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-the-crimson-court/

Aw yiss, expansion time. I hope that'll address some of the issues I have with later midgame (stuff we aren't at yet.) My playthrough lost steam at that point, and I got bored due to THINGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, the Abomination doesn't stress himself out when he's stunned. Didn't know that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The point of the Jester is to murder a motherfucker right out the gate, go with speed and damage and just annihilate, then stress heal/solo or solo x 2 and repeat.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, the Ancestor really put in some serious overtime into making sure that he really cocked up as much as possible. You gotta give the man some credit there, since he gives even the nobles in goddamn Warhammer Fantasy a run for their money in how to become Corrupted with a capital "C".

EDIT: Oh, and happy birthday, Highwang!

Looks like he went to Yarnam for some blood ministration.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

The point of the Jester is to murder a motherfucker right out the gate, go with speed and damage and just annihilate, then stress heal/solo or solo x 2 and repeat.

Alternatively use the first turn to dump a shitload of +damage modifiers on him and follow up with finale to take out 70% of its health.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Will DLC be free if you've bought the game already, tho.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Samovar posted:

Will DLC be free if you've bought the game already, tho.

All signs point to no, but this is me being a pessimist.

Also totally forgot to ask which boss y'all wanna gently caress up next?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I mean, if it's a significant content update then it'd be weird for it to be free.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised. That might be the first person who's blind-pronounced my name the right way. Thanks, Highwang!

On the subject of Finale, that spike-damage makes it worth the trouble for me, since once the Jester's in the back row I can spend a turn buffing/destressing as you do, then powerslide him back to the front row with Solo, ready to Finale again the next turn. It is a cool animation, though! Actually, come to think of it, where [does that spear come from?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
On the subject of Reynauld knowing that Dismas killed his family (assuming he did), here's another question: does Dismas know? Or is this a dramatic irony situation?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I find it weird how much Highwang goats up his Abomination. Would have thought him more stun-happy and just spamming Manacles.

Also not taking money because of a tiny 2 stack of food. Haha.

EDIT : Also, attacking a foe who has gone, instead of one who hasn't yet and thus getting giant blobbed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tylana posted:

I find it weird how much Highwang goats up his Abomination. Would have thought him more stun-happy and just spamming Manacles.

Highwang seems to be weirdly over-cautious except for when it comes to stress, if his comment on rarely using the town stress heals is any indication.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have a great build built around a finale jester and a point blank highwayman

Occultist>Man at Arms>Jester>Highwayman.

Highwayman has first round speed buffs with the ring of go first, shoots a guy, jester who is fast goes and annihilates someone, man at arms hits with his poo poo, the occultist is built to heal/clear corpses etc.

It is highly deadly and will clear the poo poo out of things while being able to maintain health and stress, you can replace the Occultist with an Arbalest if you need some shooty firepower.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tylana posted:

EDIT : Also, attacking a foe who has gone, instead of one who hasn't yet and thus getting giant blobbed.

Genocyber posted:

Highwang seems to be weirdly over-cautious except for when it comes to stress, if his comment on rarely using the town stress heals is any indication.

Abom with a Jester makes it a non-issue, mainly because jester can remove their stress no problem and the initial morph doesn't really stress that much by comparison to Stressful Incantation or Vomit.

I've also been in kind of a mode lately. Chitlin will explain that this friday.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I found in my stagecoach a level 2 Jester with Finale,Solo,Harvest,and Inspiring Tune (darn you wang, I wrote ASMR first. And I had to google what it meant.) And Dirk Stab, because level 2 stagecoach guys get 5 skills?

Slapped a Crescendo Box on him and he did pretty well in an orange (lvl3) Cove run. I think the sword/spear fishmen might be one of the things that really benefits from the turn 1 erasing with Finale. So many ghouls though. Also reminded me that Mace Bash on Vestals is solid and Divine Comfort works in rank 2.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

I have a great build built around a finale jester and a point blank highwayman

Occultist>Man at Arms>Jester>Highwayman.

Highwayman has first round speed buffs with the ring of go first, shoots a guy, jester who is fast goes and annihilates someone, man at arms hits with his poo poo, the occultist is built to heal/clear corpses etc.

It is highly deadly and will clear the poo poo out of things while being able to maintain health and stress, you can replace the Occultist with an Arbalest if you need some shooty firepower.

This is a really powerful combo, and flexible enough to handle the row switching. Some teams can't handle a Jester flipping the order around well, especially back row heavy teams.

Also, you can have Jester go first as Occultist>Man at Arms>Highwayman>Jester, so that the Highwayman is then set up to Point Blank shot and you'll have a front row Man At Arms at the end of the first round. Best part of this team is after the power opening you're ready to have two front line Riposte guys in round two.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Genocyber posted:

Highwang is just weird and inconsistant.

With enough heroes, you don't super need to boost the stress heals.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Tylana posted:

I found in my stagecoach a level 2 Jester with Finale,Solo,Harvest,and Inspiring Tune (darn you wang, I wrote ASMR first. And I had to google what it meant.) And Dirk Stab, because level 2 stagecoach guys get 5 skills?

Yup, level 3 come with 6 skills and equipment leveled up accordingly. Of course, they can also come with 5 negative traits, so have fun getting rid of those for a few weeks.

Adapting to a Jester moving around the party so much is irritating at the start. You need to make sure the person in the back row has access to moves in ranks 3 and 4 and then appropriate skills for the other two as well. For example, Occultists in the back can make use of their dagger since they'll be slid into row 3 after a finale goes off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

vdate posted:

I'm genuinely surprised. That might be the first person who's blind-pronounced my name the right way. Thanks, Highwang!

On the subject of Finale, that spike-damage makes it worth the trouble for me, since once the Jester's in the back row I can spend a turn buffing/destressing as you do, then powerslide him back to the front row with Solo, ready to Finale again the next turn. It is a cool animation, though! Actually, come to think of it, where [does that spear come from?

My guess the spear is folding and he keeps it down the back of his shirt or something like that. The full move is probably him throwing the spear high, doing a lute solo to distract, spear slams down through enemy, Jester grabs it and leaps back whilst bowing from this absurdly skilled throw.

Either that or he can manifest spears at will through bardic magic.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

"Finale" was formerly called "Heroic End". The Spear is going right through the Jester.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Highwang posted:

Happy birthday to me. Here's a LP update for you all

Episode 19: On the road to a Cannon

Today we recruit a new Jester and test out Finale. Turns out its pretty good but still suffers the same grievances I had with it initially so its kinda still in that opinion zone of mine.

Also, Red Hook drops a reveal on us: DLC coming out early 2017: "The Crimson Court"

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-the-crimson-court/

The second stack of 12 food came from the first corpse, picked up when Highwang was away. It had something like 14 food on it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Fat Samurai posted:

"Finale" was formerly called "Heroic End". The Spear is going right through the Jester.

I had to look up an HD version of the sprite because I always thought the Jester was just bowing while holding it, but you're correct.
That's certainly a hell of a magic trick. :staredog:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sun dancing the night away.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Tylana posted:

That's because Abom's G.O.A.T

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Finale's graphic is kinda weird in that I think it's the only attack animation that's metaphorical instead of purely literal. Probably metaphorical.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

Finale's graphic is kinda weird in that I think it's the only attack animation that's metaphorical instead of purely literal. Probably metaphorical.

So you think the Jester is just mic-dropping so hard things die from it?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Have they hinted at the Jester's background at all? I can see it being some kind of Faustian bargain, possibly at some crossroads, to give him supernatural musical talent.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

vdate posted:

So you think the Jester is just mic-dropping so hard things die from it?

He alternates between rap battles and bonking things in the head with a lute.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

TomViolence posted:

Have they hinted at the Jester's background at all? I can see it being some kind of Faustian bargain, possibly at some crossroads, to give him supernatural musical talent.

I'm betting it's something along the lines of the Jester being the one person with sense in a court of decadent idiots and the only one left alive when they got themselves killed.

King: Let's do the thing!
Court: Good idea! Do the thing!
Jester: That's a really stupid idea. Don't do the thing.
King: Oh, Jester, you are so funny.
King: (does the thing, dies)
Kingdom: (dies to the thing)
Jester: ... Well, poo poo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fat Samurai posted:

See now I want that skill to be his allies getting sick and tired of his jokes and music that they just slam a spear through him and throw him to the back. The Jester manages to transfer the actual physical damage to an enemy somehow but the experience leaves him mentally shaken hence the awful debuff.

The Jester definitely was at court though, he has a line for it that also says he's immune to poison now or something. Whether that's metaphorical or literal poison I don't know. But he's the one of the three character's constantly in a mask. The Leper doesn't want people to see his face, the Plague Doctor doesn't want to get sick, but the Jester surely isn't doing it for fun either so perhaps he has a reason to hide his face.

It would actually be very funny if the Jester turns out to be an animated corpse or something.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Lord_Magmar posted:

It would actually be very funny if the Jester turns out to be an animated corpse or something.
I've been playing a lot of D&D lately so this talk of the Jester being a zombie reminds me of this

There was also this really good story on 4ch's traditional game's board about an undead jester loving with players. There's just something about the dead jester that's really popular.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
For the record, Highwang, you picked up like 12 food right at the beginning of the last mission.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I kinda want the Jester to be the Leper's old Jester, who followed him.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Some say he fights ghouls armed with nothing more than bad jokes, power ballads, and an agricultural implement. Some say he can stick a spear clean through himself without substantial harm. All we know is, he's called the Jester.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Glad to see more of the Jester, but also eh, I personally don't use them.

Finale and the stress heal are cool. But I don't know for me, the Hellion is a bit more versatile if you need the bleeds, and is going to make things dead faster. And the position switching messes up one of my favorite configurations.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I also didn't use the jester a lot in my runs of the game. Jester and Abomination were tied for least used, I remember by the time I had all of my other character at level 6, my abominations were like level 3 and 4. I do like giving the jester finale and the slash that's not an AoE. Finale is great for surprises and pulls, an extra gently caress you if things get mixed up. Do you only have one crusader? I forget. If there's still one to be rolled on, I'd like to try my luck.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Finally looked it up and now I understand why you didn't do the thing (put a torch in the creepy thing) when presented the opportunity to do the thing. Here's hoping you do the thing soon as I would like to see the thing.

Please show off The Shambler one day.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

vdate posted:

Some say he fights ghouls armed with nothing more than bad jokes, power ballads, and an agricultural implement. Some say he can stick a spear clean through himself without substantial harm. All we know is, he's called the Jester.
Some say that he's actually a sentient mass of congealed joke books and that he's the one that shaved the side of the Hellion's head but no one has had the balls to tell her yet.
All we know is, he's called "The JESTER"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This LP got me back into playing. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Night10194 posted:

This LP got me back into playing. :unsmith:

You better play teams of nothing but Lepers and Jesters to teach Highwang a lesson.

Backrow Lepers and frontline Jesters, that is.

• Locked thread