Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What would the fan reaction be if Affleck announces that in a surprising turn of events he has cast Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the role of Batman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was reading through some old pages of this thread and I don't think was answered:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Everything about the atmosphere of Luke Cage looks great and I love that they got the guy who plays Remy from House of Cards to be the Kingpin.

One thing bothered me though... Luke, you do know that when you save the Chinese restaurant from being shaken down by the mob that you probably cost them the same amount of money or more by throwing a guy through their window? At the very least you just jacked up their insurance rates.

It turns out Luke not only immediately promises to pay for the window and refuses to take the money the shop owners offer him for saving them, he later returns and hands them a wad of cash to pay for a new window.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am sure this has been discussed to death already, but I saw the Ultimate Edition BvS thing a couple of weeks ago, and one thing I didn't quite catch watching the theatrical version is the theme of fatherhood. Snyder ain't exactly subtle about drawing thematic parental links between the characters, but I can't quite get a grip on what he's trying to say with this.

The most obvious one is Superman being linked to Thomas Wayne, both in the infamous Martha scene, but also during his funeral, where the imagery of the cannon shells is similar to the bullet casings dropping during the Wayne murders. The death of his father gave birth to the Batman, and the death of Superman resulted in the Rebirth of Batman.

But he also draws links between Superman and Lex's father. Lex implies that he viewed his father as all-powerful, and it is implied he views Superman through the same lens.This is contrasted when Superman steps into save Lex from the fists of an abomination. In fact, his obsession with discrediting Superman strikes me as an attempt by Lex to conquer his childhood demons, he sees his father in Superman, and by confronting and discrediting him he is by proxy confronting his father?
The problem here is that Lex, while clearly hating his father, also left his office entirely undisturbed, and explains it as "a childish" idea that maybe he'll come back one day if he leaves it as is.

There's also a weird third instance of a father-son link, and that's between Luthor and Doomsday. Lex uses his own blood along with Zods body to give life to Doomsday, surely that's not a coincidence. What I don't get is why Lex is crying when he is starting the process. Why is he emotional, why does this mean so much to him? Also isn't it weird he describes his father as an abomination and it turns out his proverbial son is a monster as well?

What do ya'll think?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

McCloud posted:

There's also a weird third instance of a father-son link, and that's between Luthor and Doomsday. Lex uses his own blood along with Zods body to give life to Doomsday, surely that's not a coincidence. What I don't get is why Lex is crying when he is starting the process. Why is he emotional, why does this mean so much to him? Also isn't it weird he describes his father as an abomination and it turns out his proverbial son is a monster as well?

What do ya'll think?
Lex is actually trying to recreate his father--there's a hidden reference when he says "God didn't save me from Daddy's fists..." and moments after he creates Doomsday, Superman saves him from being crushed by its fist. I'd never considered Doomsday as Luthor's son, but there's no reason that can't also be true.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Lex is actually trying to recreate his father--there's a hidden reference when he says "God didn't save me from Daddy's fists..." and moments after he creates Doomsday, Superman saves him from being crushed by its fist. I'd never considered Doomsday as Luthor's son, but there's no reason that can't also be true.

But that's what I don't get. Why? I mean he hates his dad, doesn't he?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

McCloud posted:

Also isn't it weird he describes his father as an abomination and it turns out his proverbial son is a monster as well?

What do ya'll think?

Thats the cycle of abuse for ya.

Lex feels like an character motivated by despair, pain and the relationship with his dad more than a search for pure power.He's projecting his anxiety over his abuse on the single most powerful being on the planet."Power can not be innocent".He's reliving the powerlessness that felt as a child,back then the most powerful figure in his world abused him, now he will fight superman because how can be superman good?.Doomsday is just second generation damaged goods.Lex is going to be fathering a pained creature with the only goal of destroying his space dad.He is doing the same thing his father did yo him to his son.He's become his father.

It makes sense he was capable of manipulating superman and batman as both are completely obsessed and extremely marked by their fathers.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 4, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

McCloud posted:

Smallville gets a bad rep, and for good reason, but it's also the only form of media that I am aware of that explored Lex's relationship with his father. Regardless of the quality of the show, the actor's playing Lex and Lex's father Lionel did a really good job

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So the cinema I frequent has a 15 minute "unique IMAX 3D preview" for Dr Strange called Expand Your Mind next Tuesday. It's free and you get a poster afterwards. I think that's the first time I've seen a marketing event like that happen there.

Not that I'm going. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I'd rather not spoil myself any further at this point.
Edit: It's at 18:00 too. I guess they're hoping people will line it up with an early evening showing of a different movie?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 4, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

McCloud posted:

he hates his dad having power over him, so creating something all-powerful and making it subservient to him is a way of conquering his dad

also i'm surprised your original post didn't bring up the 'superman talking to his dead dad' vision

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ben Affleck says BvS is the biggest hit of his career.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mierenneuker posted:

So the cinema I frequent has a 15 minute "unique IMAX 3D preview" for Dr Strange called Expand Your Mind next Tuesday. It's free and you get a poster afterwards. I think that's the first time I've seen a marketing event like that happen there.

Not that I'm going. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I'd rather not spoil myself any further at this point.
Edit: It's at 18:00 too. I guess they're hoping people will line it up with an early evening showing of a different movie?
They did something like this for Guardians too. They showed one scene, the prison escape scene, so this will probably be similar.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I would have to imagine it is, financially. I mean what other real blockbusters does he have? Not Paycheck. (I liked paycheck though, it's so dumb and fun)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

I would have to imagine it is, financially. I mean what other real blockbusters does he have? Not Paycheck. (I liked paycheck though, it's so dumb and fun)

Gone Girl made a fair chunk of change. Everything else is sub $200 million though I think.

e: Pearl Harbor and Armageddon too I guess.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

greatn posted:

Good Will Hunting?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Armageddon

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hump day bitches! posted:

Thats the cycle of abuse for ya.
Lex also talks about his dad's poor childhood in some Soviet state poo poo hole and resenting the dictator there.

Then Superman sacrifices himself to kill Lex's son, thus ending another cycle of violence.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's the cycle of abuse for ya.

jk I genuinely had a lot of fun watching BvS

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lHkVFmEZNU

What's the original source for this; I'm kinda curious about the answer he's started to give?

quote:

As far as critics are concerned, he says they mostly took issue with the film's dark tone.
This is actually mostly true. It's a movie better written, better shot, with more interesting themes to explore than most modern comic book movies, and it was basically the whole Not My Superhero crowd trying to poo poo on it. At least after the Ultimate Edition came out, which enhanced the movie by giving certain things more depth. The original ws kinda cool in an experimental way, but suffered at times.

Suicide Squad just suffered. :argh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 5, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

This is actually mostly true. It's a movie better written, better shot, with more interesting themes to explore than most modern comic book movies, and it was basically the whole Not My Superhero crowd trying to poo poo on it. At least after the Ultimate Edition came out, which enhanced the movie by giving certain things more depth. The original ws kinda cool in an experimental way, but suffered at times.

There's also a certain contingent who really heavily judge films by plot over anything else, and take away points when things aren't super explicit (how Batman got back to Gotham in DKR), don't make sense to them (Lex's Africa plot in BvS) or when things aren't "tactically realistic" ("Batman should have made a Kryptonite bullet and hid in a lead room" etc).

And I'm not even saying those are bad things to critique, and it's certainly a matter of preference how important you rate those things. I don't get hung up too much on plot myself because I go to big superhero blockbusters for the spectacle and fights, and BvS had the most payoff in that department for me, so I could care less about how logically consistent it was (although I don't think it's remotely as bad as a lot of people think).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lHkVFmEZNU

What's the original source for this; I'm kinda curious about the answer he's started to give?

His answer is just that in the parody video. After Henry gives his long winded answer, Ben just goes "I agree."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OGe7l-WPQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Well yeah, obviously. And the second biggest film he's appeared in is Suicide Squad. Armageddon is his biggest film if you adjust for inflation but even then BvS and Suicide Squad are still 2nd and 3rd.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=benaffleck.htm&sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

His answer is just that in the parody video. After Henry gives his long winded answer, Ben just goes "I agree."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OGe7l-WPQ

I wanted to hear what Henry was Saying...I just couldn't remember his name off the top of my head. :shobon: Thanks for that link.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well yeah, obviously. And the second biggest film he's appeared in is Suicide Squad. Armageddon is his biggest film if you adjust for inflation but even then BvS and Suicide Squad are still 2nd and 3rd.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=benaffleck.htm&sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

I walked by the local multiplex and Suicide Squad is STILL playing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jose Oquendo posted:

I walked by the local multiplex and Suicide Squad is STILL playing.

It made almost $2 million domestic this weekend just gone so it's got another month or two left in its run. Deadpool made about the same amount on its 9th weekend and stayed in cinemas for a further 9 weeks. For comparison, BvS only made about $300,000 on its 9th weekend and only lasted another 3 weeks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My hope is between Suicide Squad and Fast and the Furious studios give us more multi-ethnic ensemble films since unsurprisingly their is quite a bit of demand.

Or Suicide Squad versus Fast and the Furious crossover film. I would take that too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

My hope is between Suicide Squad and Fast and the Furious studios give us more multi-ethnic ensemble films since unsurprisingly their is quite a bit of demand.

Or Suicide Squad versus Fast and the Furious crossover film. I would take that too.

For as much as I don't like where the new movie is going, Mighty Morphing Power Rangers 2017 would help with that as well if it is a success.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy moley. I didn't realize that Armageddon made so much money. I assumed it made a lot, but never really looked into the original figures.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hugh Jackman's final Wolverine movie has a title: Logan

James Mangold shares part of the script:
https://twitter.com/mang0ld/status/783653479113904128

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Welp.

https://twitter.com/SuicideSquadWB/status/783685958034034689

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I hope we see the promised 12 hours of Joker vamping.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I can't wait for people to suddenly say this is the cut that made the movie good, when actually it was good all along.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Corek posted:

I hope we see the promised 12 hours of Joker vaping.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I'm happy, but this needs to be the last director's cut of a DCEU film. I'm tired of WB's meddling.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Meddling to say "we can't put out a three and a half hour film" is not unreasonable.

Unless of course the reason it's 3.5 hours is all the stuff they made you add.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If Warner doesn't want 3-3.5 hour superhero films then they shouldn't be rushing to include multiple iconic characters in a single film in a new shared universe. Batman v Superman was hamstrung from the onset.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm pretty excited about this.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

greatn posted:

Meddling to say "we can't put out a three and a half hour film" is not unreasonable.

Unless of course the reason it's 3.5 hours is all the stuff they made you add.

True, but I just wish these issues were resolved in pre-production. You know, before the director filmed 3+ hours of footage.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I honestly can't imagine how to make SUicide Squad a good movie with fifteen or twenty extra minutes. It was just so lackluster.

I'm really interested in hearing what you guys think about it, however once it's out.

But yeah, I'm tired of director's cuts of these movies. I loved BvS (and MoS), but paying 15 or 20 bucks to watch a goddamn movie and then them expecting me to pay another 15 or 20 bucks to watch a 'better' version of it in disc is getting pretty loving lame. It's starting to feel less wrong to just pirate the fucker on theater release and then buy the bluray to get the 'full experience'. (I know that pirating is wrong anyway yadda yadda)

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 5, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really like long movies. Getting a 3+ hour long superhero movie was a treat for me, definitely a personal preference thing.

Drifter posted:

I honestly can't imagine how to make SUicide Squad a good movie with fifteen or twenty extra minutes. It was just so lackluster.

I'm really interested in hearing what you guys think about it, however once it's out.

But yeah, I'm tired of director's cuts of these movies. I loved BvS (and MoS), but paying 15 bucks to watch a goddamn movie and then them expecting me to pay another 15 or 20 bucks to watch a 'better' version of it in disc is getting pretty loving lame. Pirating the fucker on theater release and then buying the bluray to get the 'full experience' is beginning to reduce the moral arguments of it being wrong.

I'll be interested to see how much this changes Suicide Squad thematically, if at all. I wonder if Ayer even bothered helping/approving of this cut or if it's WB cramming some deleted scenes back into the movie to help drive up blu ray sales. (I'll probably by this one in full disclosure). I can understand the sentiment of "quit releasing a new cut 6 months after the first cut was released" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is just how things work in the age of DLC, subscription models and microtransactions. It sucks.

• Locked thread