Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I got the cards for the UG Marvel deck yesterday in the mail that Angry Grimace and a couple of us have been going over. I took out the 4 Gearhulks and just ran with 4 Ulamogs/4 Emrakul's.

Oooooooo boy this deck is brutal. Doing some testing last night I was able to rip Uly/Emmy 7 out of 8 games by T4/T5 and at that point you just run away w/the game.

There were a few games where after dropping an Eldrazi my opponent had a direct answer on their next turn but a turn or two later I was able to pull another out with Marvel pretty easily.

Your creatures mostly mean nothing aside from giving you their initial ETB energy boost and living out the rest of their usefulness as blockers. Theorist is good because if you have 7+ energy you can at least Scry 1 and dump away a card before you dig for 6.

This deck rules

I jammed a bunch of games with the deck last night and wow is uw spirits a bad matchup for this deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Christ has this thread gone completely off the rails.

Balon posted:

I jammed a bunch of games with the deck last night and wow is uw spirits a bad matchup for this deck.

Back to actual magic... I'm also on this dumb/good Marvel deck. You are very correct about Spirits, it's really rough but the Temur version is much better against it and I don't think you're giving up anything by playing Red since the mana is amazing. You also get access to Chandra 6 for your 9th and 10th payoff cards to hit off of Mavel which isn't nothing and is actually castable and good vs aggro.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 4, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Christ has this thread gone completely off the rails.

Back to actual magic... I'm also on this dumb/good Marvel deck. You are very correct about Spirits, it's really rough but the Temur version is much better against it and I don't think you're giving up anything by playing Red since the mana is amazing. You also get access to Chandra 6 for your 9th and 10th payoff cards to hit off of Mavel which isn't nothing and is actually castable and good vs aggro.

What are you adding in/taking out for Red? I think the UG is strong enough, but I don't have any interest in buying Chandra's but I'll still peep your list if you wanna post it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

GeneX posted:

wotc creative is infatuated with nissa

they're the only ones

please don't insult the docile MTG waifu, you may not care but others do

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What are you adding in/taking out for Red? I think the UG is strong enough, but I don't have any interest in buying Chandra's but I'll still peep your list if you wanna post it.

Kozilek's Return and Harnessed Lightning in addition to the Chandra's. It's much better in the aggro matchups. IDK if you're on the build with the Vessel's but that is also where you want to be at if you ask me. I can post a list later in the week since we're still working on it but there is a list from the SCG that was my starting point.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108084

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wow, lebron james plays magic? thats nuts. he looks taller on tv tho

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Kozilek's Return and Harnessed Lightning in addition to the Chandra's. It's much better in the aggro matchups. IDK if you're on the build with the Vessel's but that is also where you want to be at if you ask me. I can post a list later in the week since we're still working on it but there is a list from the SCG that was my starting point.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=108084

I'm not using Vessels in the UG build because the last thing I want to do is have to pop one into my hand or put them into the 'yard because I didn't get anything via the activation. I think using the Glintnest and Puzzleknot and Scry from Aether Theorist I can scry enough time to hit a marvel when I want it and then follow up with the Puzzleknot and Theorist to scry making sure when I drop the Marvel I'm hitting Emrakul/Ulamog in draw 6

I'm sure this deck can be modified and tweaked since we're still just figuring it out after Week 1 but I like how it's set up now with just 2 colors and ditching the Gearhulk for Emrakul. I replaced the 2 blue spells where you steal artifacts with Anticipate but I'm sure something better than be used in that slot.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Petiton to rename RDW Scotsman Aggro.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not using Vessels in the UG build because the last thing I want to do is have to pop one into my hand or put them into the 'yard because I didn't get anything via the activation. I think using the Glintnest and Puzzleknot and Scry from Aether Theorist I can scry enough time to hit a marvel when I want it and then follow up with the Puzzleknot and Theorist to scry making sure when I drop the Marvel I'm hitting Emrakul/Ulamog in draw 6

I'm sure this deck can be modified and tweaked since we're still just figuring it out after Week 1 but I like how it's set up now with just 2 colors and ditching the Gearhulk for Emrakul. I replaced the 2 blue spells where you steal artifacts with Anticipate but I'm sure something better than be used in that slot.

Vessel is just flat out much better than Crane in the deck because it dodges targeted discard, gets more than just Artifacts and makes it easier to hardcast Emrakul which is something that comes up. You are much more likely to miss with Crane than with Vessel. I can understand playing Theorist in the UG build but I also think that Harnased Lightning is better in that slot because of it's versatility sometimes it just kills a Looter Copter and buys you 2 turns. I agree with you about Gearhulk. It's awful in this deck. Way too midrangy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

Is it just me, or does the Kaladesh Gameday playmat look terrible?

Nissa looks so derpy. Also, why is it Nissa and not Chandra?

The same reason they put the good Nissa art on the intro pack Planeswalker.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So to go with our October promo of Rise From The Tides and our November promo of Fiery Temper, in December we're going to get...

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
My LGS is running a Frontier format (M15 and forward) tournament tomorrow night. I've still got all my cards from then. What are some broken things that adding M15 can do? It's basically last month's format with M15, Khans, and Fate Reforged added.

I've identified these cards as significant from M15:
Lightning Strike
Stoke the Flames
Elvish Mystic
Satyr Wayfinder
Chord of Calling
Urborg
Ensoul Artifact
And Tormod's Crypt as our only form of graveyard hate in the format.

The obvious builds are
Rally the Ancestors with maybe adding Prized Amalgam
Boss Red with maybe Hanwier Garrison replacing Gobline Rabblemaster
Abzan Rhino
Jeskai Ascendency
GW Devotion subbing in Cryptolith Rites for Nykthos. Selfless Spirit as a 4-of.
Delirium adding Satyr Wayfinder over some of the hot garbage like Gather the Pack

Anyone got any fun ideas for the format? I'm leaning toward Boss Red if I want to win. GW Devotion if I want to have more fun than winning.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

So to go with our October promo of Rise From The Tides and our November promo of Fiery Temper, in December we're going to get...

More unplayable garbage....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I'm not currently on the Gearhulk version of the deck (currently playing with Kozilek's Return), but it did perform best from the testing I did.

I can certainly understand why people wouldn't care for Gearhulk in the deck, but the reason why I was playing it was because the decks I was testing against were way too fast and slanted so much towards being aggressive that I needed good blocks both in the beginning of the game and later on just to win. You are going to win most games you hit Marvel for Ulamog or Emrakul on Turn 4 regardless of what else is in your deck. But you are going to get outclassed by Copters and first-striking Toolcraft Exemplars in pretty much any hand that doesn't find Aetherworks Marvel by turn 4. That's what I was using the Gearhulk to do - make your Cranes and Theorist able to profitably block basically everything while you dig for the big guys.

mcmagic posted:

Vessel is just flat out much better than Crane in the deck because it dodges targeted discard, gets more than just Artifacts and makes it easier to hardcast Emrakul which is something that comes up. You are much more likely to miss with Crane than with Vessel. I can understand playing Theorist in the UG build but I also think that Harnased Lightning is better in that slot because of it's versatility sometimes it just kills a Looter Copter and buys you 2 turns. I agree with you about Gearhulk. It's awful in this deck. Way too midrangy.

It's not like I don't understand the argument against the Crane, it's that as far as I've tested nobody is playing bad Despise, Transgress doesn't hit either of them, and you don't really want any cards other than Glassblower's Puzzleknot or Aetherworks Marvel to begin with. You really aren't hardcasting Emrakul other than corner cases, especially not in a version of the deck with 0 creatures other than Emrakul and Ulamog.

I just really like the 1/3 flying body quite a bit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not currently on the Gearhulk version of the deck (currently playing with Kozilek's Return), but it did perform best from the testing I did.

I can certainly understand why people wouldn't care for Gearhulk in the deck, but the reason why I was playing it was because the decks I was testing against were way too fast and slanted so much towards being aggressive that I needed good blocks both in the beginning of the game and later on just to win. You are going to win most games you hit Marvel for Ulamog or Emrakul on Turn 4 regardless of what else is in your deck. But you are going to get outclassed by Copters and first-striking Toolcraft Exemplars in pretty much any hand that doesn't find Aetherworks Marvel by turn 4. That's what I was using the Gearhulk to do - make your Cranes and Theorist able to profitably block basically everything while you dig for the big guys.

It's not like I don't understand the argument against the Crane, it's that as far as I've tested nobody is playing bad Despise, Transgress doesn't hit either of them, and you don't really want any cards other than Glassblower's Puzzleknot or Aetherworks Marvel to begin with. You really aren't hardcasting Emrakul other than corner cases, especially not in a version of the deck with 0 creatures other than Emrakul and Ulamog.

I just really like the 1/3 flying body quite a bit.

Transgress does hit Aetherworks Marvel and if you're relying on Crane to find it they are going to usually have a turn to Transgress it out of your hand. The body is just meh. It chumps a Copter for one turn I guess but I'm also playing Thriving Turtle which is almost as good of a blocker. I've also hardcast Emrakul a lot more than I thought I would with this deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

More unplayable garbage....

I think Fiery Temper is a fine promo but the other two are pretty silly

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

keeblerdrow posted:

My LGS is running a Frontier format (M15 and forward) tournament tomorrow night. I've still got all my cards from then. What are some broken things that adding M15 can do? It's basically last month's format with M15, Khans, and Fate Reforged added.

I've identified these cards as significant from M15:
Lightning Strike
Stoke the Flames
Elvish Mystic
Satyr Wayfinder
Chord of Calling
Urborg
Ensoul Artifact
And Tormod's Crypt as our only form of graveyard hate in the format.

The obvious builds are
Rally the Ancestors with maybe adding Prized Amalgam
Boss Red with maybe Hanwier Garrison replacing Gobline Rabblemaster
Abzan Rhino
Jeskai Ascendency
GW Devotion subbing in Cryptolith Rites for Nykthos. Selfless Spirit as a 4-of.
Delirium adding Satyr Wayfinder over some of the hot garbage like Gather the Pack

Anyone got any fun ideas for the format? I'm leaning toward Boss Red if I want to win. GW Devotion if I want to have more fun than winning.

Doesn't Frontier include Kaladesh too? If so, a U/R artifact deck would be the obvious direction to go in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does the interest in a new format stem from the current staleness of modern?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Are we going to have this discussion again?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

Seems to me that people like to try new formats because reasons. Its new.

Much like haven't all new standard rotations, especially after big set rotates out, been super popular for at least the first few weeks?

The only thing stale about modern is the modern bitching. People are still showing up and playing in events in mass.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 4, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Some big-name store in Japan is doing a tournament with this same format so I imagine others will want to try it too. I don't know if Wizards has dropped hints about officialy starting a new format.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/treasure-chest-information-2016-10-03

quote:

Additionally, many of you have requested that Treasure Chests be tradable. In response to this feedback, treasure chests will become tradable in mid-November when we update the Treasure Chest content to include cards from Commander (2016 Edition) and Conspiracy: Take the Crown. Players who have Treasure Chests in their account will always have the most recent version of the contents whenever they decide to open them (including as mentioned in the time frame above, the ability to trade them).

We are also looking at possible changes to the design of the content with trading in mind—especially since Play Points are (and will remain) untradeable. Complete details of these and all future changes will be released on the Magic Online Treasure Chest Details page prior to those changes taking effect on Magic Online.

Treasure Chest curated card list: http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/treasure-chest-curated-card-list-2016-09-29

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

Some big-name store in Japan is doing a tournament with this same format so I imagine others will want to try it too. I don't know if Wizards has dropped hints about officialy starting a new format.

There are some perks to wotc to making a format besides standard that only uses cards from the holostamp era. It definitely doesn't benefit the players.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
IMO postmodern should be called the Lost format because absolutely no question will have a satisfactory answer

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oh dang, time to pivot into talking about how this is a bad change cause nothing WOTC does can be right or good

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

There are some perks to wotc to making a format besides standard that only uses cards from the holostamp era. It definitely doesn't benefit the players.

Can I play Mazes End or Flochs UW Elixir Control in this format and will they good?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I heard if you add this guy named odiv to your MTGO friends and then hold down C and $ while opening a treasure chest you're guaranteed a curated foil and the max amount of points.

(I'm so lonely)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Oh nevermind I thought it was M14. Move it back a little further M15+ blows

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 4, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

odiv posted:

I heard if you add this guy named odiv to your MTGO friends and then hold down C and $ while opening a treasure chest you're guaranteed a curated foil and the max amount of points.

(I'm so lonely)

i'd add you but that would require redownloading MTGO and well...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The quick math is that the Treasure Chests are an EV gain over the previous structure, they just aren't if you were to sell it to a bot because the bot probably values Play Points at 0.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It'll be fun to see them giving out treasure chests for GPs in an attempt to get people to try MTGO more. :3:

Rinkles posted:

Stores have an interest to pump and dump their stock in testbed formats like EDH, tiny leaders, and now whatever this is. EDH stuck, so we'll see.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Transgress does hit Aetherworks Marvel and if you're relying on Crane to find it they are going to usually have a turn to Transgress it out of your hand. The body is just meh. It chumps a Copter for one turn I guess but I'm also playing Thriving Turtle which is almost as good of a blocker. I've also hardcast Emrakul a lot more than I thought I would with this deck.

I've never played th deck, but would Elder Deep Fiend be an option for the decks running the bird? It gives you a castable addition to the deck that is nontrivial if you hit it with Aetherworks.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

Stores have an interest to pump and dump their stock in testbed formats like EDH, tiny leaders, and now whatever this is. EDH stuck, so we'll see.

I think the answer that isn't this is that the new card frame combined with wizards being reluctant to reprint powerful cards means that a sort of standard+ is the only viable eternal format that won't necessarily cost as much as modern.

I don't actually know if this is true, with multiple powerful lands and a multicolor block being in the format already. I'm sure the real play is to buy up boss sligh for $10 and steal as much store credit before the format folds in on itself

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I've never played th deck, but would Elder Deep Fiend be an option for the decks running the bird? It gives you a castable addition to the deck that is nontrivial if you hit it with Aetherworks.

I've tried that out, but I feel like you're better off with a dedicated Temurge strategy if you want to do that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Death Bot posted:

I think the answer that isn't this is that the new card frame combined with wizards being reluctant to reprint powerful cards means that a sort of standard+ is the only viable eternal format that won't necessarily cost as much as modern.

I don't actually know if this is true, with multiple powerful lands and a multicolor block being in the format already. I'm sure the real play is to buy up boss sligh for $10 and steal as much store credit before the format folds in on itself

Right, that's probably what'll happen. But stores have an interest in increasing demand for really cheap cards too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

It'll be fun to see them giving out treasure chests for GPs in an attempt to get people to try MTGO more. :3:

I would unironically be more likely to attend GP's if they increased the value of them and I could play MODO cheaper. As it is, GP's value sucks. A playmat that should be $30, a promo that you can buy for $15 once we're 6ish months into the year, and the event. For $30-50 they're good value even if you are a moderate player, play 5 rounds, get dinner, do a draft, come back the next day do a couple more drafts, fund weekend. At $80 or whatever, they can get hosed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think so. You want to be more streamlined.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I just don't know that anyone's worked out the right balance of dig, blockers, energy and removal yet. So far I'm not really liking Kozilek's Return main, but I do like Harnessed Lightning.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

I would unironically be more likely to attend GP's if they increased the value of them and I could play MODO cheaper. As it is, GP's value sucks. A playmat that should be $30, a promo that you can buy for $15 once we're 6ish months into the year, and the event. For $30-50 they're good value even if you are a moderate player, play 5 rounds, get dinner, do a draft, come back the next day do a couple more drafts, fund weekend. At $80 or whatever, they can get hosed.
Yeah, when I started it was $25-30, then I think it was $50 in richmond in 2014 when modern got really big, and now it's just insane. Most of the events have side events where you get the mat for free as part of draft/sealed and it's way better doing those as long as you don't start after round 4 when the general event X-3 losers start to play in them and feel they need to recoup their value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I just don't know that anyone's worked out the right balance of dig, blockers, energy and removal yet. So far I'm not really liking Kozilek's Return main, but I do like Harnessed Lightning.

I'm on 2/2 K Return Split now. I think the matchups that it's really good against, it's so good that you have to play it.

• Locked thread