Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There is also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-r7SNQ_5fc
But ignoring that is for the best
Masters of Teras Kasi was insanely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The original Star Trek was very good, too bad most of TNG is unwatchable boring junk

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's the opposite of the truth, or Mirror World, as we say in star trek

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I wish there was another Knights of the Old Republic game by Obsidian. Kreia was cool.

CJacobs posted:

Read Only Memories tried that and it fuckin sucked so I wouldn't go that far

ROM being diverse as possible isn't what made it so medicore.

Diversity does not make or break a game, it only effects how much straight white males will freak out about it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ROM was too overly prose-y, and as stated before you can't have a world where your message is about 100% inclusion and then have an oppression METAPHOR, it makes no sense

I actually liked the gameplay of it. it's just the story is weak

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

precision posted:

Speaking of terrible parenting, one of my ex's named her daughter "Aeris". Why would you impose that on a child. Why.

Had a coworker with a daughter named Rinoa.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I watched the GDC talk on Rocket League and it's really, really good. If somebody here hasn't watched it yet, I really recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1BIsCby2c

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Golden Goat posted:

Diversity does not make or break a game, it only effects how much straight white males will freak out about it.

yeah those SWMs are all the same

codenameFANGIO posted:

Had a coworker with a daughter named Rinoa.

I think that's better though, because nobody remembers who that even is

precision fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Wolfenstein: The New Order has one of the most diverse casts in a modern game and nobody really noticed or cared. I want more internet fatbeards whining about how BJ Blazkowicz taking orders from an old woman in a wheelchair and feeling inferior next to the awe of watching Jimi Hendrix perform is all a plot to turn gamers into little white cuck balls.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 4, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I thought it came out to pretty drat good reviews and everybody enjoyed it?

I liked it a lot at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order has one of the most diverse casts in a modern game and nobody really noticed or cared. I want more internet fatbeards whining about how BJ Blazkowicz taking orders from an old woman in a wheelchair and feeling inferior next to the awe of watching Jimi Hendrix perform is all a plot to turn gamers into little white cuck balls.

The game is 99% a white guy talking to himself and killing nazis. poo poo ain't exactly an ensemble cast.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why was Jimi Hendrix in that game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

He wasn't in my file, it's got a split story based on who you save at the very beginning of the game

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Help Im Alive posted:

Why not? The plot was an alternate history story where the Nazi's won the war and banned a bunch of music. Having a black, counter culture rocker being apart of the underground resistance wasn't that far fetched in the general scheme of things. Honestly I would be surprised if most of the people that played the game would know who Jimi Hendrix even was so it came off more as a nice little easter egg then anything else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Give me an alternate history future whatever war game with Resistance Leader Tom Waits

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

monsters & monocles http://store.steampowered.com/app/328510/

it's a twin stick shooter trying to enter the same market as enter the gungeon and nuclear throne. it's starting to get crowded so i dont know that M&M is going to be able to stand out. it is fun, it opts for silly sort of zombies ate my neighbors feel with mummies, ghosts, werewolves, slime monsters, etc. the weapons mostly feel good except for the revolver which sucks.

the persistent element are relics which you can upgrade with the money you get in your run (your coin bank resets when you game over), a lot of them are weapon specific so not necessarily super useful unless you already have the weapon on you (you can carry 2 weapons at a time, 3 relics at a time). there are temporary buffs that last as long as you're alive, some with + and - (one gives you DMG up and Recoil up at the same time for example), so you can become really powerful the more you can grab in one life. this actually i think makes the game a little too easy, so maybe they need to balance it some more. although... there are 3 'zones' right now and 3 more are planned so maybe it's okay. you only have 3 lives for the ENTIRE RUN so if the difficulty continues to scale across the last 3 zones maybe that will level it out

it's EARLY ACCESS .. right now their upcoming update adds the 4th zone, so they seem to be on track, but you might want to wait. when you beat all 3 zones you complete a 'loop' and can play the zones again but they're harder. i'm not sure how they'll work that out when they have all 6 zones in

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What if we banned pixel art for a year

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

:woop:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You'd prob get a lot of real ugly programmer art looking 2d games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

"This game was diverse and nobody got angry about it but I wish they did because I am insane."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Yes please.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's lovely MSPaint games time to shine!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

what the gently caress are you even on about. also this

Mordja posted:

"This game was diverse and nobody got angry about it but I wish they did because I am insane."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

then people would complain that the art of games looks like Flash

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

smh when an indie dev uses NES spritework but then also tweens the poo poo out of them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What about that low poly Japanese horror game, we could do that for a while

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think that game was just bad though.

I didn't personally play it or anything I just don't think I've heard anything positive about it except for the style it's going for.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

That looked and played like poo it was also intentionally designed to be that way

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Help Im Alive posted:

Ban 3D instead please.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Golden Goat posted:

I wish there was another Knights of the Old Republic game by Obsidian. Kreia was cool.

ROM being diverse as possible isn't what made it so medicore.

It actually was exclusively the problem because the developers used it as their soapbox to be as preachy and annoying as possible about the issues they saw as important, in the process forgoing literally anything that could count as a well-written story

edit: Sakurazuka was right when they said that having good writing is just as important as having a diverse cast

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 4, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It actually was exclusively the problem because the developers used it as their soapbox to be as preachy and annoying as possible about the issues they saw as important, in the process forgoing literally anything that could count as a well-written story

edit: Sakurazuka was right when they said that having good writing is just as important as having a diverse cast

To me that's because they're bad writers and completely fumbled. Not because they decided to be super diverse in their game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Help Im Alive posted:

A world where you had defined limbs but your face was a mess. You had no mouth, yet you could still speak.

The 64/PSX/Saturn generation was weird.

That must have been one of the reasons the Dreamcast was so cool at first. People actually had faces that didn't look like poo poo and mouths could move. Sometimes they moved horrifically, but they still moved

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Golden Goat posted:

To me that's because they're bad writers and completely fumbled. Not because they decided to be super diverse in their game.

I guess it's kinda a little of column A and B. The preachiness is what made the writing bad, but at the same time, without it they probably would have just written a bad story instead. :/

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I guess it's kinda a little of column A and B. The preachiness is what made the writing bad, but at the same time, without it they probably would have just written a bad story instead. :/

Yeah, I think had they went with a different setting with less inclusion they would have still produced an okay-at-best story.

I want them to try again.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Hey what's that you wanted more of that well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR05_7Xnx9w

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My ideal game, RE1's combat mixed with randomly generated levels and loot.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

spelunky is kind of like that without the first part

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe we should ban randomly generated levels for a while.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

My ideal game, RE1's combat mixed with randomly generated levels and loot.

Isn't that sort of the Vita Silent Hill game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

steam recommends me a lot lot lot of randomly generated roguelikes because spelunky and nuclear throne are two of my favorite games and let me tell you. all the recommendations are trash

• Locked thread