Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you're in New York, better go visit Carnegie Deli before they shut down

http://nypost.com/2016/09/30/carnegie-deli-will-close-at-end-of-2016/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

Aw. Sad. My dad would try to get over there every month or so when he worked in the city.

The Midniter posted:

Then I woke up earlier this week with some horrible neck pain. I didn't even do anything!! Put up with the pain for a couple days but went to the express clinic today and I left with four (!) prescriptions. Hopefully they'll make a dent in the agony.

Get a hot rice sock on your neck, take naproxen or the big mega Ibuprofen, and sip tea. Best thing for it, if it's just muscles or stress. Stuff like that can get started with the stupidest poo poo, happens to everyone. If any non-medical asks, just say you fought a bear.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
If your taking naproxen your better off eating the rice than using it as a heat pack.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

All the New Yorkers I know just think of that place as a tourist trap

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

All the New Yorkers I know just think of that place as a tourist trap

Yeah but it's a sentimental tourist trap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In other restaurant news, LOL I didn't know that Jose Andres and Trump were suing each other

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2016/04/29/donald-trump-jose-andres-and-the-death-of-a-grand-washington-restaurant/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember going there, getting a sandwich that was like a stick of salami with a piece of toasted rye on either end, and wondering what the gently caress I was supposed to do with it.

That's also the place that ended up giving Bobby Hill gout, right?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lol. Reno can be very ... esoteric. But the food these days is really kicking rear end.

I kinda want to know where this frushi joint is...

Food truck fridays are not weird enough, it seems.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Get a hot rice sock on your neck, take naproxen or the big mega Ibuprofen, and sip tea. Best thing for it, if it's just muscles or stress. Stuff like that can get started with the stupidest poo poo, happens to everyone. If any non-medical asks, just say you fought a bear.

Doesn't that make the sock all soggy and hard to clean?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Totally Reasonable posted:

I kinda want to know where this frushi joint is...

Food truck fridays are not weird enough, it seems.

Pretty sure it was this place. To be fair, my memory exaggerated it, but about half the rolls feature fruit or cilantro & jalapeño or something else that I don't want on sushi most of the time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Haha ijji is like a local chain. Total garbage except for the Korean BBQ they opened up by my house. And that's only good because of unlimited meat and soju within walking distance.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Doesn't that make the sock all soggy and hard to clean?

Dry rice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rumda posted:

If your taking naproxen your better off eating the rice than using it as a heat pack.

Good idea. Definitely consume food. Also, remember to inhale, as well as exhale, at regular intervals.

Yes, thank you.

Okay, since there seems to be some confusion, here's how you make a Rice Sock, or a magical microwavable heat pack. Take the biggest tube sock you have (or other tubular cloth structure), fill with enough rice to make a nice neck-pillow loaf, but don't over-fill. Don't want it to explode. Tie end of sock off. Microwave 1 minute on HIGH, flip and massage to evenly distribute heat. Microwave another 30 seconds, wrap in light towel to avoid burning yourself. Keeps warm for an hour or two, perfect for heat therapy. Combine with muscle rub as desired. Re-use until the rice gets wet or starts to smell, then discard rice.

\/\/

Casu Marzu posted:

But how do you get the rice around your neck. Like over the head like a burglar does?

I have NO idea what you're referencing there, but it somehow made me laugh. \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 2, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Re-use until the rice gets wet or starts to smell, then discard rice.

Or make the most flavorful pilaf ever

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

But how do you get the rice around your neck. Like over the head like a burglar does?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Casu Marzu posted:

i drew a visual aide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, those work good.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Ah. ijji is bad enough to screw up every app in the joint, which explains why i don't know of their crimes against sushi

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

The Midniter posted:

So after three months of unemployment, I was offered two positions, one of which I'm accepting and I'm looking forward to beginning. It's in a different industry (mortgage), but it's a great opportunity.

Congrats! I've been out of work for 18 months but started a new job finally this week. Just moved into a house with a proper lease after 6 months of week-to-week airbnb accommodation. All my kitchen stuff has been in self-storage out of state since March and is arriving here in Colorado next weekend. Feels p good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

i drew a visual aide:

So when do you eat it?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Suspect Bucket posted:

Good idea. Definitely consume food. Also, remember to inhale, as well as exhale, at regular intervals.

Naproxen burns through your stomach lining faster than anything.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Casu Marzu posted:

So when do you eat it?

you don't

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Rumda posted:

Naproxen burns through your stomach lining faster than anything.

What does this mean "burn through your stomach lining?" That doesn't make any sense.

But 500mg of naproxen DOES help kick the poo poo out of a migraine in conjunction with a sumatriptan tablet.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Don't drink while using Naproxen and don't use them if you have a history of ulcers or inflammation of the stomach lining. Also don't use them for long periods of time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Force de Fappe posted:

Don't drink while using Naproxen and don't use them if you have a history of ulcers or inflammation of the stomach lining. Also don't use them for long periods of time.

Yeah, but that's literally any NSAID. Ibuprofen is less likely to cause GI side effects but generally you only see them in people taking large doses for long periods of time, like people with arthritis. If you're really worried about it over the long term take a proton pump inhibitor with it since the main cause of symptoms seems to be blocking the signal that turns off acid production.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but that's literally any NSAID. Ibuprofen is less likely to cause GI side effects but generally you only see them in people taking large doses for long periods of time, like people with arthritis. If you're really worried about it over the long term take a proton pump inhibitor with it since the main cause of symptoms seems to be blocking the signal that turns off acid production.

You're better off in the short term taking Zantac (ranitidine) as it works immediately; PPIs. We'd a few days before they have a therapeutic effect.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah but when it's up and running PPIs are more effective since it's generally once a day.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So how does it help your neck

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Then why dry sous vide it at 98.6°F?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
So I'm stuck in Kingston Jamaica and while the hotel I'm in has decent food does anyone know of any must eat places I could get my driver to take me to? I love all Jamaican food so looking for jerk chicken or something that will change my life.

On the other hand everything is probably closed bc of this drat hurricane is blue mountain coffee a good gift? I heard it owns and I don't drink coffee much.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jay Carney posted:

So I'm stuck in Kingston Jamaica and while the hotel I'm in has decent food does anyone know of any must eat places I could get my driver to take me to? I love all Jamaican food so looking for jerk chicken or something that will change my life.

On the other hand everything is probably closed bc of this drat hurricane is blue mountain coffee a good gift? I heard it owns and I don't drink coffee much.

Blue Mountain Coffee is a good gift. It's mild, smooth and has a little floral kick. I quite enjoy it (it is a bit over-hyped though). Try and learn a bit about the coffee growing and roasting process! Maybe even visit a grower, I've heard some offer tours (though it might be a bit of a drive).

And maybe since you're about to get your rear end kicked by a hurricane, go buy a yoga mat, backpack, and snacks to make your stay in the hurricane shelter as pleasant as possible. Then go get a drink. Not too much, because being hung-over in a hurricane sucks.

Casu Marzu posted:

So when do you eat it?

When you're hungry enough to make that nice pilaf Flash Gordon Ramsay mentioned.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

When you're hungry enough to make that nice pilaf Flash Gordon Ramsay mentioned.

Pilaf doesn't seem like it would help neck pain much

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Pilaf doesn't seem like it would help neck pain much

Pilaf is more of a hunger pain relief.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MiddleOne posted:

Pilaf is more of a hunger pain relief.

Right, and it will help the evil naproxen not burst out of your chest alien-style as some people fear.

Then you gotta make another rice sock though. For the alien's neck.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dear bartolimu

"....what????"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I know lowtax is hard up for cash and all but

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What did I miss?

Also, going to be in New Orleans for a week or so. I'm staying by Canal and Bourbon streets and should have most evenings free. What should I eat and drink? For once I have coworkers with me and they are pretty open if unadventurous without prodding. My goal is to eat a gallon of gumbo at a minimum and maybe get drunk and vomit on the street at least once.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

Mrs. Squashy's mom is in Kingston, too.

As for places, try asking your driver! The cab drivers in Jamaica were full of opinions. In the Kingston area, stuff by the side of the road is a good option, because it's a less-touristy area.

Good luck with the storm!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

What did I miss?

Also, going to be in New Orleans for a week or so. I'm staying by Canal and Bourbon streets and should have most evenings free. What should I eat and drink? For once I have coworkers with me and they are pretty open if unadventurous without prodding. My goal is to eat a gallon of gumbo at a minimum and maybe get drunk and vomit on the street at least once.

RECOMMENDED:

BUTCHER/COCHON: Trendy Donald Link charcuterie/curing lunch joint. Get the fantastic muffuleta or buckboard bacon sandwich. If you have a party and they're not squeamish split an order of the headcheese.

PECHE: Trendy seafood place also by Donald Link. Pretty much all the food is fantastic here.

JOHNNY SANCHEZ: Trendy new Mexican place by Aaron Sanchez and Johnny Besh. Split the pig ear chilaquiles and get goat cheese-stuffed squash blossom tacos for yourself. Fanastic food, and the cocktails are great too.

MURIEL'S: Old school fine dining fantastic seafood. I had the pecan-encrusted drum fish. They also have a wonderful cucumber martini and make great sazeracs.

CANE AND TABLE: Trendy new riffs on classic New Orleans food, bar menu includes a lot of 1800's cocktails which are... interestingly different

HAVENT BEEN BUT HEARD GOOD THINGS:

SHAYA: Won the James Beard award for best new restaurant, Israeli food

COMMANDER'S PALACE: Fancy dining, it's where Paul Prudhomme got his start as a chef

IF YOU JUST WANT TO GET DRUNK AND STUMBLE AROUND BOURBON STREET:

PIRATE ALLEY CAFE: Old landmark divey bar, famous for absinthe

LAFITTE'S: Old landmark divey piano bar, super dark. Sometimes the pianist is great, sometimes they suck

MOLLY'S AT THE MARKET

COOPS PLACE: Divey old bar diner, sober up here at the end of the night, they have a pretty good combo plate

AVOID (OR TRY IF YOU WANT TO SAY IT SUCKS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE):

MOTHERS: overrated po'boys

CAFE DU MONDE: Pre-made box mix stale beignets. Garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

AVOID (OR TRY IF YOU WANT TO SAY IT SUCKS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE):

MOTHERS: overrated po'boys

Where you are wrong here is that a debris po boy is amazing drunk food.