Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I mean, if he is coming back doing so as an offensive coordinator who isn't in charge is the best situation to hope for. So if he has to come back I hope he goes to Miami under Richt for exciting football reasons. For human reasons I hope he gets blackballed but no way in hell that's happening without the NCAA deciding to give him a show cause out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/art-briles-baylor-game-day-interview-details-reaction-what-he-said-091016

quote:

"I don't know. I hope it means honor, integrity, passion and care. It means it to me."

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Why'd they even fire him in the first place? I haven't seen anything in writing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
That was deleted in Hillary's e-mail servers.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Briles is a real piece of poo poo

quote:

Former Baylor coach Art Briles, in an interview with ESPN’s Outside The Lines, defended his decision not to meet with Jasmin Hernandez, a former Baylor student who was raped by former Baylor linebacker Tevin Elliott in 2012, despite a promise that he would.

According to a report by ESPN, Briles backed out of the mid-June meeting once he reached a settlement with Baylor regarding his wrongful termination suit. Lawyers for Hernandez claim Briles used the potential meeting with Hernandez as leverage for his settlement.

“[Briles] used the threat of helping Jasmin in her lawsuit against Baylor as leverage to negotiate his wrongful termination claim against Baylor,” attorney Irwin Zalkin said. “He doesn’t care about victims. He never cared about victims. He’s using victims. He used them to help build up his football program, and now he’s using Jasmin to leverage more money out of Baylor.”

On Monday, Briles said legally he couldn’t meet with Hernandez.

“Well, I would have loved to have done that, I would have loved to have been able to make that meeting but through Baylor and the settlements that were involved, I was not able to attend due to that,” Briles said. “I would have loved to have a chance to tell her how sorry I was that she got victimized.”

Briles said he couldn’t comment on the matter because of “legalities” but that he would be able to in the near future. He did note that he would welcome “the opportunity to speak with her.”

Hernandez, who also appeared on Monday’s Outside The Lines, was skeptical.

“It’s unsurprising to me [Briles didn’t show up] and while I’m sure he would like to go around and tie up loose ends and make public acts of attempting repentance, it just doesn’t come across to me as sincere and I think what he said in his interview with ESPN speaks volumes,” Hernandez said. “Actions speak louder than words and we see his actions here as he put himself and his settlement with Baylor, which is obviously very important to him, above that.

“And then when it comes to just words such as I’m sorry, saying ‘No comment’ instead is just an action that is consistent with his past behavior. To me, it’s just a reflection of his character.”

Briles did say that if he did have an opportunity to meet with the victims who were assaulted by former members of the Baylor football team, the meeting, in his mind, would be productive.

“I’d tell them I’m extremely sorry and my heart aches. And we’d probably have a, hopefully, a good cry session, and then a talk session, and then hopefully a good hug session because it just appalls me that somebody could victimize another human being and there’s no place in society for it and I’ve never condoned it and never will.”

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mike_V posted:

Briles is a real piece of poo poo

Just what a victim of rape wants... A good hug session with an old dude that enabled her victimization.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Someone will hire him because he's the best offensive coach there is, but god drat talk about putting a target on your back. If anything at all goes on under his watch, wouldn't the school need to be seriously, seriously worried about the DOJ taking a IX-pound poo poo on them for knowingly bringing in a guy with that history and allowing history to repeat itself? I mean I think even Baylor's little summary report thing they released said it was a violation to bring in players with a known history of assault, wouldn't the same apply to anyone who lets Briles anywhere near their program?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Maybe? Schools make their own Title IX protocols that just have to fit within some nationally set guidelines. I have no idea what administrative maze would end with a rape victim sitting face to face with a football coach but evidently that's how it was set up at Penn State and Baylor.

When he does get hired, whatever school he's at will not let him be a factor at all in any sort of investigation, and I really like to think that most schools aren't set up to be like that anyway.

Also whatever school is going to put in a ton of clauses into his contract about it, and make him go to a lot of training and such so at to cover their asses.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/jessicamorrey/status/777934368497029120

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

To be fair, he meant he doesn't know what he looks like, and its not really the coaches job to play security.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It seems inconceivable to me that a Baylor coach wouldn't recognize Shawn Oakman

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Intruder posted:

It seems inconceivable to me that a Baylor coach wouldn't recognize Shawn Oakman

Grobe probably didnt. The rest might have and okayed it. They may also be trying to sabotage Grobe to help themselves. He is, in principle, just a place holder that people don't expect to keep around so they aren't all that invested in protecting him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I could maybe understand Grobe not knowing him but jesus Baylor come on now.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oakman was gone before Grobe got there. Like, even if he knew what he looked like, its not gis job to play locker room security. So the real question is how did he get in really? If a coach helped dude has got to go. If players smuggled him in, you need to have a talk with security.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, Clinton took down GBS because of her "Server secrets" instead of to get back at me, who loves GBS, and my Baylor Bears football team, and to attack me all the time (like at the Sonic, where I work part time).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Former Baylor president Kenneth Starr: Art Briles was unfairly criticized

ESPN needs some better editors, they added an extra "un" in front of "fairly".

Unless, that isn't a typo.

Oh dear.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

"There's this meta-narrative out there, and you're echoing it because it's your job,” [Starr] told Smith. “And then there's reality."

Goddamn I hope the PH report is released in full in one of these court cases.

e: Holy poo poo the spin:

quote:

“I have great confidence — to this day — in Coach Briles,” Starr said. “If there was a question of integrity, you fire the person for cause. Art Briles was not fired for cause.”

He wasn't fired for cause because he threatened to drag Baylor through the courts and make all of the dirty laundry public.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 24, 2016

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
God. They just have zero self-awareness. Such a gross situation

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fucccck Ken Starr. That same story from another source:

quote:

Starr reserved his fierce sympathy for Briles and discussed the victims of the sexual assaults only in passing. Much as Briles did in his interview with College GameDay two weeks ago, Starr shied away from any mention of the terms “sexual assault” and “rape,” instead choosing the language of “interpersonal violence” and “unpleasantness.”

This choice of diction, perhaps, made it easier for him to assert that a culture of sexual assault was not endemic at Baylor, particularly as the reported incidents that laid the foundation for Baylor’s scandal occurred off-campus rather than on. Starr offered a convenient solution for any students frustrated by their university’s demonstrated disregard for their humanity:

“My encouragement to students is—don’t go to these off-campus parties. Just don’t go.”

http://deadspin.com/ken-starr-believes-art-briles-is-the-true-victim-in-bay-1787037572

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe if someone whispers to him that a Clinton was somehow involved in this he'd take it seriously?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
"Don't do anything interesting if you want to live!"

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Let's just look at the facts of the case:

1776 - Bush family signs the Declaration of Independence after freeing about 500 slaves. The Bush signature was burned off the document by a mysterious fire
1806 - Slave Owning Clinton family sold their soul to the devil to rise in the political ranks
1842 - Starr family moves to America to support abolition and the confederacy before the confederacy was hijacked by a few louder, more extreme members
1910 - Construction begins on the Alico building, tallest building west of the Mississippi, pissing off secret KKK family Clintons of Arkansas who's 2 story slave plantation held the record previously. The same year a mysterious fire is blamed on Baylor despite the horse galloping from the scene having the Clinton brand
1981 - Bush family does their best to defend against the Clinton-Satan pact, sets down roots 20 miles west of Waco to help fight the cause
1993 - Having secured the presidency illegally, Clinton starts the first attack on Waco and sets another mysterious fire, killing 69 church-going members of a local family and their children
1998 (sept 11th) - Starr does his best to properly investigate Clintons semen all over various dresses and lampshades
2000 - Bush successfully defeats an illegal attempt to steal his presidency. Clintons work with the Saudis to launch an attack on Bush and Starr on Sept 11, but people think it was the work of a peace loving religious people instead. Clintons slink back to lick their wounds.
2000 - OU stumbles to a championship and wins their only game that mattered ever
2003 - Mysterious weightlifting accident and/or fire takes out a Baylor basketball teammate, forcing the NCAA to give Baylor the death penalty
2005 - Texas Championship
2008 - Texas Championship
2009 - Texas Championship
2010 - Starr goes to Baylor
2011 - Big 12 is in turmoil and OU still sucks and Texas sucks too. Baylor saves the day singlehandedly with a heisman and Championship. Baylor wins through hard work and beef, all the while respecting women and prosecuting rapists and criminals while other Clinton supported schools rape everyone and never go to jail.
2012 - Baylor Championship
2013 - Baylor Championship
2014 - Baylor Championship
2015 - Baylor Championship
2016 - Clinton feels like her election is in the bag and goes on the offensive. Suddenly the due process we subject all of our criminals to is way too slow and they'd rather them be taken care of by a noose like the Clintons did to black folk back in the old days. With no evidence of any sort all the coaches and president is fired and all of the criminals we locked up are still in jail already, but now its better because the coaches who weren't allowed to arrest people because they're not cops are now gone too.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

*nods*

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You forgot the second thing in 2005: Evil Clintons attempt to use secret weather-changing fake global warming technology to summon Katrina and destroy innocent Baylor, but hit the wrong target. They use secret email server blackmail to make everyone blame hard-working heroic Bushes.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Zoran posted:

You forgot the second thing in 2005: Evil Clintons attempt to use secret weather-changing fake global warming technology to summon Katrina and destroy innocent Baylor, but hit the wrong target. They use secret email server blackmail to make everyone blame hard-working heroic Bushes.

I forgot when they forced west virginia into the conference becuase they knew Baylor was undefeated at home and int exas and really close by but not far away so it stole the cchamp

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Is this what happens when GBS gets shut down

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Is this what happens when GBS gets shut down

This is FYAD stuff, get your poo poo together.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

:stare:

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/17680212/brenda-tracy-talks-baylor-team-sexual-assault-prevention-leaves-feeling-defeated

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The article never actually names the assistant coach either, even though they had her pick him out of a lineup?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

kayakyakr posted:

The article never actually names the assistant coach either, even though they had her pick him out of a lineup?

was probably Kendal Briles

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

2 more women have joined the class-action suit against Baylor, and their Title IX coordinator has resigned

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

quote:

“Our understanding is that Patty was disappointed in her role in implementing the recommendations that resulted from the Pepper Hamilton investigation,”

So if I'm reading that right their Title IX coordination resigned out of frustration with the amount of support she was getting from the administration?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thoguh posted:

So if I'm reading that right their Title IX coordination resigned out of frustration with the amount of support she was getting from the administration?

Either that or the admin told her she was just a figurehead and someone else was supposed to do the changes (and wasn't).

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

It could also be that she didn't agree with the recommendations or that the recommendations require markedly more manpower to implement that Baylor wouldn't sign off on funding. The spot was vacant for 3 years before she was hired, so it's not a stretch to say, besides the obvious, that the position may have unique issues with it

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Didn't they only even have that position for a few months? Like I remember a huge complaint being they didn't have a Title IX coordinator to begin with.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
She's appearing on CBS tommorow morning. That might not go well for Baylor.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thoguh posted:

She's appearing on CBS tommorow morning. That might not go well for Baylor.

quote:

In the complaint against the university, she alleged she was subjected to retaliatory actions by Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Reagan Ramsower, the source said.

The complaint alleged Ramsowner took away her authority to handle Title IX complaints and accused her of “doing her job too well,” the source said.

The mediation session stretched late into the night Monday, another source with direct knowledge of the meeting said Tuesday.

The school offered her a $1.5 million settlement, the source said, but Crawford balked at signing the confidentiality agreement for an additional $50,000, the source said.

Crawford’s attorney countered the school’s offer with a request for a total of $2 million, which school officials rejected, the source said.

ruh roh!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

The school offered her a $1.5 million settlement, the source said, but Crawford balked at signing the confidentiality agreement for an additional $50,000, the source said.

It's reasonable to assume that they just forgot a zero on that because that makes no sense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Baylor is nuked off the face of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

You know who's really getting the shaft here? Art Briles.

• Locked thread