Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ewar Woowar posted:

Southgate had the opportunity to be brave and make some tough calls but he's just like the rest. loving spineless cunts.

What squad would you put out? I mean drop Rooney, don't recall Johnson, leave out Lingard, those are all obvious, but what else would you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

pik_d posted:

What squad would you put out? I mean drop Rooney, don't recall Johnson, leave out Lingard, those are all obvious, but what else would you do?

drop Rooney, don't recall Johnson, leave out Lingard

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It's Almunia's time to shine

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I went looking for why Milner isn't there, and apparently he retired after a conversation with Big Sam.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Kinda funny Jack got dropped.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Kinda funny Jack got dropped.

He hasn't looked very good when playing for the Mouth.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

pik_d posted:

Keeping Rooney in the squad and captain at that is ridiculous given the atrocious form he's in.

Recalling Johnson (as much as I thought he was great at his peak) makes no sense.

Lingard is completely underwhelming and should be nowhere near that squad.

I'll reserve total judgement until I see them on tbe pitch but you just know it's going to be more of the same

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

blue footed boobie posted:

He hasn't looked very good when playing for the Mouth.

I know. I thought it was kinda the whole point of being loaned out to Bournemouth was to play and be picked for England. Even more amusing to me is that Theo and Ox are back in the fold while Jack isn't.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

England simply don't have enough good players to avoid having bad players like Lingard and Rooney in the squad

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I know. I thought it was kinda the whole point of being loaned out to Bournemouth was to play and be picked for England. Even more amusing to me is that Theo and Ox are back in the fold while Jack isn't.

Theo's on his usual pre injury form so he should get picked though?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Deeney deserves a call up

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/DaveMustaine/status/782213648664199168

Pack it in boys musicians don't follow the greatness that is rooney

Rooney brings it home

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jose posted:

Deeney deserves a call up

Crouch and Defoe as well.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Fifa president Gianni Infantino has proposed expanding the World Cup finals to 48 teams - after initially suggesting he wanted to boost it to 40.

According to the 46-year-old Italian, 16 countries would be eliminated after a preliminary knockout round.

The rest of the tournament would then be the same as it is now, with 32 teams competing in the group stages, followed by further knockout rounds.

Infantino said a decision on possible expansion would be taken in January.

"These are ideas to find the best solution," he said. "We will debate them this month and we will decide everything by 2017."

Infantino took charge of world football's governing body in February.

One of his election promises was to expand the World Cup to 40 teams.

But his idea now is that 32 teams take part in a preliminary knockout round in the host country, with the winners joining 16 seeded teams in the group stages.

"It means we continue with a normal World Cup for 32 teams, but 48 teams go to the party," said Infantino, who replaced Sepp Blatter.

"Fifa's idea is to develop football in the whole world. The World Cup is the biggest event there is. It's more than a competition, it's a social event."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Expand it to 256 teams and be done with it. Might have to invent a few new countries but it's less ridiculous than half the poo poo proposed now. 8 knockout rounds, sorted.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
What a loving stupid idea. Keep it at 32 ffs

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So here's the USMNT roster for friendlies @Cuba (Friday 10/7) and vs. New Zealand (Tue 10/11)

quote:

GOALKEEPERS (3): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Ethan Horvath (Molde FK), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS (7): Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin),Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland), Perry Kitchen (Hearts), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV)

Bedoya dropped due to injury.

Fine leaving Howard/Guzan out for these two, though there's talk that Bill Hamid will be called in for the second match. Beyond that, I got nothing, except hey, Lynden Gooch!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
How on earth has the US produced two players that go by "Gooch"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

atomic gog posted:

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has proposed expanding the World Cup finals to 48 teams - after initially suggesting he wanted to boost it to 40.

According to the 46-year-old Italian, 16 countries would be eliminated after a preliminary knockout round.

The rest of the tournament would then be the same as it is now, with 32 teams competing in the group stages, followed by further knockout rounds.

Infantino said a decision on possible expansion would be taken in January.

"These are ideas to find the best solution," he said. "We will debate them this month and we will decide everything by 2017."

Infantino took charge of world football's governing body in February.

One of his election promises was to expand the World Cup to 40 teams.

But his idea now is that 32 teams take part in a preliminary knockout round in the host country, with the winners joining 16 seeded teams in the group stages.

"It means we continue with a normal World Cup for 32 teams, but 48 teams go to the party," said Infantino, who replaced Sepp Blatter.

"Fifa's idea is to develop football in the whole world. The World Cup is the biggest event there is. It's more than a competition, it's a social event."

Why not 69

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Why not 69

That would be an immature joke. FIFA and Infantino are mature jokes.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Infantino is certainly not childish

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I can't believe this idiot is in the starting lineup vs. Spain

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I can't believe this idiot is in the starting lineup vs. Spain

still, gently caress Spain

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
italy vs spain will hopefully be tasty

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

italy vs spain will hopefully be tasty

It will be bad.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
i cant leave my apartment so let me enjoy this turd of a game you f*ck

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Diego Costa's slap-happy it appears

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
The only entertaining thing about this game will be Costa winding everyone up, but it's on telly so I'm watching

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Iniesta :swoon:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lmao at Costa falling down in the box with nobody around him, was that a tackle or just instinct?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Come home, Joe

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Montolivo has to come off, thank God

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

Montolivo has to come off, thank God

Insanely good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Also somehow that was a foul on Ramos?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Spain should let Italy have the ball a bit so maybe something will happen this game

E: Italy may want to take advantage of a crossing opportunity instead of doing that

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Parolo :thumbsup:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Never offside, that.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Yeah that was a bad call but it's Diego Costa so I hope it keeps happening.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

:laffo:

That was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'