Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Aw, too bad. Metacritic debacle?
There was thing in Obsdian's contract that they would get a bonus if New Vegas got a score of 85 or higher on Metacritic. New Vegas ended up scoring a 84.
That is offcourse completely bullshit: Metacritic is really lovely as an aggregator and no sane person should pay any attention to it. But sadly, the gaming industry - and publishers in particular - does watch it. A lot.
I doubt anyone at Obsidian really holds a grudge over that though. Bethesda was not being uniquely lovely there: Bonuses being tied to a metacritic score aren't uncommon. Obsidian's case was just the one time people took notice.
Chris Avellone said on twitter that he thinks Bethesda will never hand the Fallout IP over to another dev studio again. I don't think he ever explained why he thinks that though. Could be that Obsidian & Bethesda were in talks and nothing came of it. Who knows. :shrug:

To get back to your original question: The only word about another Obsidian Fallout is that it's not happening.
If you're craving another sweet Obsidian RPG that isn't isometric, there are rumors of an Obsidian developed Vampire the Masquerade game. It's not post-apoc, but still. That is, as far I know those rumors haven't been proven false yet.

Dongattack posted:

Did NV sell well?
New Vegas sold more then 5 million copies is just a few weeks.
Whether that met Betehsda's expectations is another matter, but at least they were happy enough about it to put out a press release about it back in 2010.

Edit:

FutonForensic posted:

One of the most common review complaints about New Vegas at launch was the bugs. Bethesda handled QA.
If you're really going for the old "Bethesda sabotaged New Vegas"-thing. That was just reviewers being poo poo. FO3 at launch was worse then New Vegas, you'd be lucky if Megaton even had NPCs in it (generally they would all fall through the floor into the void). And yet for some reason FO3's reviews barely mentioned bugs. Some companies just get a pass for buggy releases and others are raked over the coals.
Remember the time that Bethesda released a Skyrim patch that caused dragons to fly backwards? Everyone treated it as a funny joke. And it was certainly funny, but maybe there really ought to have been some question as to how incompetent a QA department has to be to let something like that slip past them.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
To be fair, it's not like dragons play a central role in that game.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Raygereio posted:

If you're craving another sweet Obsidian RPG that isn't isometric, there are rumors of an Obsidian developed Vampire the Masquerade game. It's not post-apoc, but still. That is, as far I know those rumors haven't been proven false yet.

Oh hell yes, that's even better!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is always a chance obsidian will get another go at fallout. Bethesda has spent the last few years branching out into other franchises contracted out to other developers, and I've always felt they've treated fallout as secondary to their elder scrolls games. I mean, zenimax developed ESO notwithstanding, they'll never let another dev touch their main elder scrolls series, but they were willing to farm out new Vegas to obsidian to do as they pleased. And obsidian has been on a huge rebound lately. There is still hope.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's also not the first time Obsidian got burned over dumb rear end producer contract bullshit.

LucasArts did the same thing more or less with the 2nd Knights Of The Old Republic game. I think it will happen eventually, remember Obsidian at the moment is working on several games including the RPG where you play as an evil guy who can stay the course or be even more super evil.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Obsidian is like a nuclear cockroach due to their business style. They aren't owned by a publisher and do freelance work getting paid up front. This let's them survive even if a game they make tanks. Not being bound by publishers is their big strength, so Bethesda or EA could always contract them out again to make new games.
(Though not likely EA, as the only star wars game they seem to want to make is battlefront)

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
Anyone else having massive issues with Maxwell's World? (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18949/)?

Installed it yesterday, the main file and patch 1.01. First thing I noticed is that he really, really loves invisible walls .. I get to Maxwell's World (via the train station if that makes a difference) , find the "target", and ... nothing. I checked back on the Nexus site and see that now there is a patch 1.02, so I download and install. Go back to my save, and still .. nothing. No quest progression. No one will talk to me. I try to walk out of the park and even the main gates won't open to let me out. Finally had to coc to Red Rocket just to rid myself of the place.

I did see that one person's advice was to reload to a save prior to the first battle, but my save before that point is somehow in Nuka World, and that's a little far back in the past for me/my character.

Is my only option to uninstall the mod, play for a tick, hard save, and re-install?

Content: I do loves me some DLC style mods. Tales from the Commonwealth ranks pretty high up there (http://3dnpc.com/2016/06/28/tales-from-the-commonwealth-v1/), Xander's Aid (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17050/) is pretty drat good if you don't mind lots of terminal reading and lots of high end enemies spawning and respawning in exactly the same place. Really nice world space though .. Fusion City: sucks. It just sucks real hard. Sucks blue diseased donkey dicks. Double suck factor for modifying a bit of world space shared by Xander's Aid.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Raygereio posted:

If you're really going for the old "Bethesda sabotaged New Vegas"-thing.

My favorite extension of this conspiracy theory is that Zenimax was looking to acquire Obsidian and were gaming Metacritic in order to tank them enough that they could buy them out on the cheap.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Raygereio posted:

I doubt anyone at Obsidian really holds a grudge over that though. Bethesda was not being uniquely lovely there: Bonuses being tied to a metacritic score aren't uncommon. Obsidian's case was just the one time people took notice.

Maybe not a grudge, but I imagine it's still remembered at the offices as a major "don't make these kinds of deals again" lesson.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I remember someone big at Obsidian said they'd love to work on another Fallout game. But who knows if that will actually translate to them being able to make another game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i still hope one day there is another obsidian made fallout game.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I think at this point I'd rather see Obsidian do their own post-apoc IP.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Exploring the area surrounding Nuka World almost made me wish for a nuc.., for a project like Skywind. New Vegas remade in the newish engine.
If you sorta squint and it's just before sunset in clear weather, and you have some of the towers far off in the background, it's almost like you're in the Mojave.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Obsidian was doing location research in New Orleans earlier this year and someone recently filed a trademark for Fallout: New Orleans in the EU, though it's likely a prank building on Obsidian's location research. I doubt they would just still call the city "New Orleans" in game, and to be honest a VtM game set largely in New Orleans itself sounds more fun than Fallout in a giant swamp and a post-apocalyptic New Orleans.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
obsidian already said that the research had nothing to do with fallout.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gasman posted:

Not exactly what you requested, but this mod allows you to strap a flashlight to your head: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16172/
And speaking of Aliens, the same mod author made this space marine shoulder mounted lamp: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17860/

Unfortunately most worn items get suopressed when in power armour, even if you're not wearing the helmet.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

The Lone Badger posted:

Unfortunately most worn items get suopressed when in power armour, even if you're not wearing the helmet.

Not regular helmets or other headgear. At least not with the vanilla power armors.
The last user submitted image on the construction armor page, shows someone wearing a flight helmet with it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't know what biped flag(s) the head-flashlight or shoulder-light from those mods use, but if you set them to something like Headband, the power armour shouldn't unequip it (as long you don't wear the helmet).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I've been using this Playable Synths mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3925/

Which is working well except for a really obnoxious bug. Basically whenever your limb, or the limb of a power armor suit you're in, gets crippled your character gets the blue electric aura like enemy synths do before deaths. Its really annoying and the only solutions seem to be racechanging or sexchanging (which only turns it off until you open the pipboy or go into first person) or entering and exiting power armor (ditto). I've tried a bunch of console commands like dispel magic effects and the like but its super stubborn.

The only thing I've found is someone in the comments mentioning they got rid of the effect on being crippled in the Creation Kit. Is that something you can do through FO4edit, or something I'd need the CK for?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Zore posted:

So I've been using this Playable Synths mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3925/

Which is working well except for a really obnoxious bug. Basically whenever your limb, or the limb of a power armor suit you're in, gets crippled your character gets the blue electric aura like enemy synths do before deaths. Its really annoying and the only solutions seem to be racechanging or sexchanging (which only turns it off until you open the pipboy or go into first person) or entering and exiting power armor (ditto). I've tried a bunch of console commands like dispel magic effects and the like but its super stubborn.

The only thing I've found is someone in the comments mentioning they got rid of the effect on being crippled in the Creation Kit. Is that something you can do through FO4edit, or something I'd need the CK for?

I have no solution whatsoever, I'm just amazed at the amount of side effects stemming from what should basically be a simple variable change. I guess Bethsoft LDs have tied too much functionality to the synth "race". :allears:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I don't know what biped flag(s) the head-flashlight or shoulder-light from those mods use, but if you set them to something like Headband, the power armour shouldn't unequip it (as long you don't wear the helmet).

Currently they seem to be glasses or mouth slot. Guess I need to brave F4edit.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I guess Fallout 4 updated without any warning. Again.

Is there anything I can do to play it with the script extender or am I just SOL until it gets updated?

I cannot believe how loving tonedeaf Bethesda is to keep pulling this poo poo over and over again.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I guess Fallout 4 updated without any warning. Again.
Is there anything I can do to play it with the script extender or am I just SOL until it gets updated?
Here's the 1.7.15 executable.
Make a back up of the current 1.7.22 .exe. Rename the one you've downloaded to Fallout4.exe and you're good. You can play with the 0.2.5 build of F4SE. Restore the 1.7.22 version once F4SE updates, which will happen soon.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I cannot believe how loving tonedeaf Bethesda is to keep pulling this poo poo over and over again.
Yeah, how dare that dastardly Besthesda release patches to fix their game. Don't they know they have to ask you permission first?
This is just something you have to accept can happen when you mod a game that's still being supported with patches. poo poo can and probably will break. We're lucky that with how Bethesda's engine works that it's generally only the script extender that needs updating after a patch and not every single individual mod.

If you want to complain at something, bitch at Valve. Steam could really use a "install patch when I want"-feature.

The Lone Badger posted:

Currently they seem to be glasses or mouth slot. Guess I need to brave F4edit.
Power armor helmets use these bipeds: 30 - Hair Top, 31 - Hair Long, 32 - FaceGen Head, 46 - Headband, 47 - Eyes, 48 - Beard, 49 - Mouth, 50 - Neck, 52 - Scalp
So if the flashlight uses anyone one of those, it should work.
If that Construction Power Armour you want to wear unequipes the flashlight, make sure the power armor uses the following:
Chest: 41 - [A] Torso
Left arm: 42 - [A] L Arm
Right arm: 43 - [A] R Arm
Left leg: 44 - [A] L Leg
Right leg: 45 - [A] R Leg

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I have yet to see any mods that I want that use the script extender. What must-have mods use it?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

counterfeitsaint posted:

lmao what

Kenlon posted:

I have yet to see any mods that I want that use the script extender. What must-have mods use it?

Place Anywhere is the only one that uses it, as far as I know. There's an achievement enabler that uses it, but there's one that doesn't use FSE that works just as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raygereio posted:

If you want to complain at something, bitch at Valve. Steam could really use a "install patch when I want"-feature.

Power armor helmets use these bipeds: 30 - Hair Top, 31 - Hair Long, 32 - FaceGen Head, 46 - Headband, 47 - Eyes, 48 - Beard, 49 - Mouth, 50 - Neck, 52 - Scalp
So if the flashlight uses anyone one of those, it should work.
If that Construction Power Armour you want to wear unequipes the flashlight, make sure the power armor uses the following:
Chest: 41 - [A] Torso
Left arm: 42 - [A] L Arm
Right arm: 43 - [A] R Arm
Left leg: 44 - [A] L Leg
Right leg: 45 - [A] R Leg

Thanks for the help. Switching the headtorch to 'headband' made it invisible and I still couldn't switch it on while wearing PA, so I made the PA helmet invisible instead.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

botany posted:

Place Anywhere is the only one that uses it, as far as I know. There's an achievement enabler that uses it, but there's one that doesn't use FSE that works just as well.

There's the weather control mod that I really like using to make it rain all the time that requires it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Raygereio posted:

Here's the 1.7.15 executable.
Make a back up of the current 1.7.22 .exe. Rename the one you've downloaded to Fallout4.exe and you're good. You can play with the 0.2.5 build of F4SE. Restore the 1.7.22 version once F4SE updates, which will happen soon.

Yeah, how dare that dastardly Besthesda release patches to fix their game. Don't they know they have to ask you permission first?
This is just something you have to accept can happen when you mod a game that's still being supported with patches. poo poo can and probably will break. We're lucky that with how Bethesda's engine works that it's generally only the script extender that needs updating after a patch and not every single individual mod.

Thanks for the link.

That's a fair point about steam. It's frustrating because they made mods one of the major selling points of the game since the announcement. In the maybe week I've been playing again the game was patched for some extremely minor thing, then the patch was rolled back and now patched again. I barely get any time to game during the week, and I'm not a fan of spending half of it chasing down executables for some extremely minor poo poo. Would a 24 hour heads up to the script extender guy really be so much to ask since, you know, mods are, according to Bethesda, one of the most important aspects of FO4?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thanks for the link.

That's a fair point about steam. It's frustrating because they made mods one of the major selling points of the game since the announcement. In the maybe week I've been playing again the game was patched for some extremely minor thing, then the patch was rolled back and now patched again. I barely get any time to game during the week, and I'm not a fan of spending half of it chasing down executables for some extremely minor poo poo. Would a 24 hour heads up to the script extender guy really be so much to ask since, you know, mods are, according to Bethesda, one of the most important aspects of FO4?

You could just set the game to "only update when launched" or whatever it is. Starting it with Steam open and only via the F4SE loader won't trigger the update at all. That way you can just play with the "old" F4SE until the update is out or whenever you feel like updating.

I've seen people claim that games will still update despite being set to that but I've never had this happen with any game so, well, YMMV.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I've gotten in the habit of just making a copy of Fallout4.exe, then when Steam stealth updates I can manually rollback in about 30 seconds.

That would be a neat feature for MO to implement, automatically build a library of all the different versions of Fallout4.exe it encounters and let you manually override which one you use with the vfs system.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Sensenmann posted:

You could just set the game to "only update when launched" or whatever it is. Starting it with Steam open and only via the F4SE loader won't trigger the update at all. That way you can just play with the "old" F4SE until the update is out or whenever you feel like updating.

I've seen people claim that games will still update despite being set to that but I've never had this happen with any game so, well, YMMV.

I do this as well. It works fine.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Are there any good mods to make it so it doesn't take a million shots to down poo poo on my overleveled run? i'm at like, level 100 and things take aaages to die.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Captainsalami posted:

Are there any good mods to make it so it doesn't take a million shots to down poo poo on my overleveled run? i'm at like, level 100 and things take aaages to die.

Usually around that level I say 'gently caress this' and make a new character. I find the whole lack of level cap so dumb sometimes.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well if you want the game to be easier, just lower the difficulty. Nobody is tying your hands here. Unless you are playing on survival, I don't don't know how difficulty works with that.

Also, I'm really pleasantly suprised at how few mods require the script extender. I remember how awkward it was to add new animations to skyrim, it required both a script extender and an entirely seperate program to preemptively inject animations into the code or somthing before you could start the game. Now I'm starting to see mods that add new animations and poses with no external support needed, its crazy.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 4, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Captainsalami posted:

Legendary modification. Smg+bleeding or explosive.

Theres also a mod that sets player damage to 1 for hard and up.

Though really idk how anyone gets to level 60 and doesnt re-roll, let alone 100.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should just hard cap your health and enemies health, turn Dr back into dt and call the game new vegas

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Captainsalami posted:

Rulebreaker lets you change damage multipliers on the fly, among other things. You could just keep upping the Player damage multiplier until things start dying fast enough for you.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thanks for the link.

I will always be confused by people complaining about devs patching games. In my day, people complained about devs NOT patching games!

They do make mods a selling point, but the script extender is a specific one-off exe-editing mod that most mods don't need. Mods does not equal script extender.

Also, if you really have such a problem with this, you should be backing up your EXE on your own. You know it's going to happen, so be prepared.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Captainsalami posted:

What on earth did you put your perk points into and what weapons are you trying to use?

I'm like level 90 on the difficulty just below survival and I can one-shot headshot most raiders with the Old Reliable rifle or a gauss rifle. Even deathclaws are pretty easy to take down once you have all the rifleman perks, all the sneak attack and silencer bonuses, and all the better criticals perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wait, so enemies (or enemy hitpoints?) scale endlessly in this game?