Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Taking a break from skill chat, I'm going to be running a short campaign set in kind of a Terminator/XCOM2 setting where sentient robots have taken over the world.

War-based campaigns are often kind of light on RP, so I was hoping to come up with some kind of overarching campaign mini game to give some context to the missions.

Anyone have any ideas from this or even other games? I was thinking of trying to adapt the team conflict rules, where they could choose to go on different missions that would be the different actions, and maybe failing the mission gives them a -1 to attack or defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
LAST CHANCE TO GET IN FEEDBACK ON THE ERRATA
See the errata here.
If you read it before, the new changes based on feedback are in pink. The Green text is for making 3 At-Wills standard for all classes, which I am leaning towards. (Nobody has objected so far or come up with a good reason not to do it - but if you have one, please tell me!)

ImpactVector posted:

Taking a break from skill chat, I'm going to be running a short campaign set in kind of a Terminator/XCOM2 setting where sentient robots have taken over the world.

War-based campaigns are often kind of light on RP, so I was hoping to come up with some kind of overarching campaign mini game to give some context to the missions.

Anyone have any ideas from this or even other games? I was thinking of trying to adapt the team conflict rules, where they could choose to go on different missions that would be the different actions, and maybe failing the mission gives them a -1 to attack or defense.

I've got several very rough notes on mini-games for X-COM. I had exactly the same thought - when you play a team of commandos, you don't have as much RP binding things together. So I was working on ideas for players to take on roles like Scientist and Spymaster and Interceptor Command and etc. each with an associated minigame and resource allocation. Sadly, none of the minigames are done yet or even in a share-able state, or else I'd be happy to share them. The one that seems the most fun so far is the UFO-interception one that uses the dice mechanic from Can't Stop to model weaving in close to do more damage while dodging fire and avoiding getting shot down. The one that has me the most stumped is the stealth-based infiltration mini-game inspired by the cool little Rogue-like Hoplite - that one wasn't translating to the tabletop very well. It'll be cool when I get the time to revisit them and write them out properly - I put that stuff aside over the summer to work on the new Classes and Monsters instead.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jimbozig posted:

LAST CHANCE TO GET IN FEEDBACK ON THE ERRATA
See the errata here.
If you read it before, the new changes based on feedback are in pink. The Green text is for making 3 At-Wills standard for all classes, which I am leaning towards. (Nobody has objected so far or come up with a good reason not to do it - but if you have one, please tell me!)

“On the target’s next turn, they must spend a Move Action to make their best effort to move as far away from you as possible with that one action, or else take 3 damage.”

Does that mean that a monster can spend a Move Action to shift 1 square away from you and be okay? After all, that's as far as their shift can take them. Or, do they have to use the move action that will carry them the farthest regardless of the danger of using it?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

“On the target’s next turn, they must spend a Move Action to make their best effort to move as far away from you as possible with that one action, or else take 3 damage.”

Does that mean that a monster can spend a Move Action to shift 1 square away from you and be okay? After all, that's as far as their shift can take them. Or, do they have to use the move action that will carry them the farthest regardless of the danger of using it?

No. How can I word it so it's crystal clear? They can't shift because that's not as far away from you as possible - they could have gone farther with that action if they had moved instead.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

No. How can I word it so it's crystal clear? They can't shift because that's not as far away from you as possible - they could have gone farther with that action if they had moved instead.

Explicitly giving the example that a shift isn't good enough if a further move is possible will be less ambiguous than any wording of it as a rule.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

“On the target’s next turn, they must spend a Move Action to move as far away from you as possible with that one action, using the mode of movement that allows them to move the most squares/greatest distance, or else take 3 damage.”

I dunno I've only just started to read the rules :shobon:

On a sidenote, hello, I've only just started to read the rules, we're giving Strike! a try for our Halloween game and I will have many questions.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"On their next turn, they must move as far away from you as they can with one Move Action."

But really in my opinion you should just remove the weird judgement call and say "they must end their turn at least 2 squares away from you or take 3 damage."

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I guess I really don't understand why that rule is causing so many problems. Maybe adding in the no-shifting example, but to me shifting one square is not making your best effort to get away from the fear source. That seems like something for a FAQ if you have/are planning to have noe?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hate to be that annoying guy who comes into a long-running discussion and innocently makes an argument that's new to him but groanworthily played out to everyone else, but it really seems like Terrifying Visage is at its most clear just the way it is now, given that moving one's speed is clearly defined as something entirely separate from shifting. If you shift, you don't move your speed, because your speed is (probably) 6.

Insofar as any clarification is needed, for my money that would be "is the target supposed to stay away" because the way it is now it seems like it could just fulfill the condition by moving away, then charge the Necromancer. If not, the effect should read something like "target must on its next turn use its Move Action to move its speed away from you, and must end its turn at that distance or farther from you."

Anyway, my first question: my group is used to 4E, has anyone made a list of stuff that tends to trip up 4E players that I could give them? Things like "you can split your movement" or "opportunities are automatic damage" and such.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

I guess I really don't understand why that rule is causing so many problems. Maybe adding in the no-shifting example, but to me shifting one square is not making your best effort to get away from the fear source. That seems like something for a FAQ if you have/are planning to have noe?

Given how much everybody loves the jetpack, I think it's best to clarify whether the creature affected has to literally move as far as it can, or just expend a Move action and use it to its fullest. A creature with different Move speeds (Flying/Burrowing/Teleporting/whatever) could be confusing.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

The wording is ambiguous as to whether it means "pick a move action; move as far as you can with that action" or "out of all move actions you can make, go the farthest you can by spending one". I think most would rule that a single shift wouldn't qualify, but for an otherwise highly mechanical system, this power stands out.

Other question: the "Clarifications" section says you don't provoke opportunities for actions you don't control. Does this apply to Terrifying Visage?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hate to be that annoying guy who comes into a long-running discussion and innocently makes an argument that's new to him but groanworthily played out to everyone else, but it really seems like Terrifying Visage is at its most clear just the way it is now, given that moving one's speed is clearly defined as something entirely separate from shifting. If you shift, you don't move your speed, because your speed is (probably) 6.

I posted a bunch of questions based on how I thought the current version was stated. My interpretation was not what was intended. In particular, "must move your speed away" suggested to me that every square of movement must increase distance (like a push). Also, that "shift your speed" and "teleport your speed" powers wouldn't apply either, but that was also not intended.

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 4, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

homullus posted:

A creature with different Move speeds (Flying/Burrowing/Teleporting/whatever) could be confusing.
"If the target has different speeds, it must use the greatest"?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

"If the target has different speeds, it must use the greatest"?

"If the target has different speeds, it must use one that causes it to end its turn furthest away."

Edit: or perhaps even more specifically "If the target has different movement modes or speeds, it uses one that both costs a Move action and ends its move as many spaces from you as possible."

homullus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 4, 2016

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Must move as far away as possible with one action.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mind you, if I used the power on a creature I knew had a burrowing speed of 4 and a teleport speed of 10, I couldn't even fault the DM for ruling it used the burrow because it would feel safer from me underground.

The dreaded Phase Mole.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

slap me and kiss me posted:

Must move as far away as possible with one action.

Striker monster's "Mobile Strike" power allows shifting one square before or after the Attack Action. Does this qualify?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Anyway, my first question: my group is used to 4E, has anyone made a list of stuff that tends to trip up 4E players that I could give them? Things like "you can split your movement" or "opportunities are automatic damage" and such.

gently caress

I didn't think I'd played enough 4E to be in too deep with the assumptions but apparently I was mistaken.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

eth0.n posted:

Striker monster's "Mobile Strike" power allows shifting one square before or after the Attack Action. Does this qualify?

If the monster's speed was 1, then yes, shifting one square is as far away as possible. If the speed isn't 1, then shifting one space isn't as far away as possible.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Honestly I don't think there's any way to reword that power which doesn't introduce some other weird edge case. It's fine as it is, especially if you have an FAQ to handle people who ask "wait, what if they move as far as they can...and then move AGAIN?"

If you have such an FAQ section it would also be worth mentioning that "best effort" doesn't mean they have to move through dangerous terrain or jump off a cliff or whatever. Unless that is the rules intent, of course.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
"On their next turn, they must spend a Move Action to move as far from you as possible, ignoring other hazards, except blocking terrain or obviously immediately fatal ones."

Avoids the "you have to jump off the cliff" problem, and the "oh I used a non-standard move to game this effect."

Beyond a certain point you have to allow some judgement in tabletop rules. I think in this case the intent wasn't entirely clear, so it did need refinement, but if someone is insisting on a bad faith reading to avoid the negative effects, there's really no way to get around that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
"It takes 3 damage if it doesn't end its turn at least 3 (or whatever number) squares away" is probably the simplest way to do it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Ferrinus posted:

"It takes 3 damage if it doesn't end its turn at least 3 (or whatever number) squares away" is probably the simplest way to do it.
I like this one. Zero wiggle room and pretty much accomplishes the same goal.

e:

Jimbozig posted:

I've got several very rough notes on mini-games for X-COM. I had exactly the same thought - when you play a team of commandos, you don't have as much RP binding things together. So I was working on ideas for players to take on roles like Scientist and Spymaster and Interceptor Command and etc. each with an associated minigame and resource allocation. Sadly, none of the minigames are done yet or even in a share-able state, or else I'd be happy to share them. The one that seems the most fun so far is the UFO-interception one that uses the dice mechanic from Can't Stop to model weaving in close to do more damage while dodging fire and avoiding getting shot down. The one that has me the most stumped is the stealth-based infiltration mini-game inspired by the cool little Rogue-like Hoplite - that one wasn't translating to the tabletop very well. It'll be cool when I get the time to revisit them and write them out properly - I put that stuff aside over the summer to work on the new Classes and Monsters instead.
That all sounds really neat! For now I think I'll just poke around with Team Conflict. It's not a huge deal if they end up losing or winning after one round, as I'm mostly running this as a test for the group's taste for Strike.

Plus the setting was collaboratively created with Microscope, so no matter what happens we're adding details to the history.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 4, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

It's simpler, but only requiring characters to move three squares away doesn't seem to capture the spirit of the power, which is forcing a full-speed attempt to escape.

The power isn't hard to adjudicate as long as the intent – the character really has to use their move action to get as far away as possible, no being cute about what sort of move action the character does to try to limit the distance travelled – is clear. Making the power both less powerful and less evocative is not necessary.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"3 squares" is simpler. Any number higher than 2 creates synergies with things that Slow, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

No compelled movement at all is even simpler.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

No compelled movement at all is even simpler.

Well, uhh, so is getting rid of every power except the MBA and RBA. The Necromancer has a "fear" flavor option, and Terrifying Visage is meant to manifest that mechanically. I suppose it could just give Panicked?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

homullus posted:

Well, uhh, so is getting rid of every power except the MBA and RBA. The Necromancer has a "fear" flavor option, and Terrifying Visage is meant to manifest that mechanically.

Right, and forcing someone to stroll only half their movement speed away and then hang out there isn't as much of a manifestation as them running full-speed away.

Simplicity isn't the only goal. A certain amount of complexity in the tactical combat is a selling point of the system. Particularly if it makes for more evocative powers.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 4, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, and forcing someone to stroll only half their movement speed away and then hang out there isn't as much of a manifestation as them running full-speed away.

Simplicity isn't the only goal. A certain amount of complexity in the tactical combat is a selling point of the system. Particularly if it makes for more evocative powers.

I got interrupted while reading the thread and then posted stuff semi-disagreeing with you, which is dumb and bad because I agree with you and would rather have a rulesy Terrifying Visage than a simpler Sort of Off-Putting Visage.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Marks don't overwrite; they stack.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Also:

There is no limit on when or how many triggered actions you can use.

You can use as many Free Actions as you like, but only on your turn.

Which Statuses give people Advantage and on which attacks is entirely different than 4e.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Like half of that stuff we don't have properly engrained with 4E even after years of playing it :v:

Thanks. General question: I've caught on that you're not supposed to use tactical combat powers outside of tactical combat. What about using skills in tactical combat?

The background leads into a specific question: one of my players wants to play as a ghost and would like if he could walk through walls. My instinct is to give him a restricted skill called Walk Through Walls, where twists could be that he picks the wrong spot or sees something on the other side he wasn't supposed to or finds a secret room. Inevitably, though, and not unreasonably, he'll want to phase through a wall in combat. How do?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The feat Superhuman lets you pick an unusual movement type, and one of them is being able to move through solid objects.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well bloody hell, that is impressively convenient. Don't even need to bother with the skill.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well bloody hell, that is impressively convenient. Don't even need to bother with the skill.
We just had a huge slap fight about this issue in the thread but theoretically, since combat powers are their own thing, you might decide that if they want to be able to do it outside combat they'll need to make it a Trick as well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Also, Slowed is 2, not half.

Serf
May 5, 2011

homullus posted:

Something I consistently forget. But I like it better this way because it is equally bad no matter how fast the affected target is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slowed is 2 in 4E too. It's difficult terrain and such that has you moving at half speed.

ImpactVector posted:

We just had a huge slap fight about this issue in the thread but theoretically, since combat powers are their own thing, you might decide that if they want to be able to do it outside combat they'll need to make it a Trick as well.
Well I've come up with all the twists now...

Shade background already has a skill named Incorporeal. That sounds like a good fit.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

homullus posted:

That's the same as 4E. The difference vs 4E is that in Strike, Slowed also prevents Shifting.

Actually, I'm a little unclear on how it's supposed to work. The rules say "cannot spend a Move Action to Shift". I'm guessing the intent is this only applies to the default Shift ability everyone has, but would it also prevent other Move Action powers that include a Shift (e.g., the Rogue's Flank)? Obviously, "Shift up to your Speed" powers like that are already affected by the reduced Speed.

If I'm correct on intent, I'd suggest making the built-in Shift ability a named At-Will Move Action Power, and have Slowed refer to it.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Also: When someone misses with all their attack rolls on an attack, they get a Miss Token that they can spend in that battle to get a +1 on a roll.

The environment/arena should generally have miss triggers just like enemies. Keep those in mind as a good way to bring in reinforcements, alter terrain, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ElegantFugue posted:

The environment/arena should generally have miss triggers just like enemies. Keep those in mind as a good way to bring in reinforcements, alter terrain, etc.

If you're ever at a loss for a Miss Effect, the answer is always "something explodes."