Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Today I learned that you can't restore a phone backup in the Android first-run wizard without restoring the corrupt system settings that caused you to have to wipe in the first place, and if you set up as a new device you lose your entire Google Drive backup for the device.

Unless I'm blind or something, there needs to be a way to just restore app data, not the phone configuration.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I seem to be having problems with VLC not playing any videos. Nexus 5X recently updated to this month's security update and running nougat. I tried reinstalling and that didn't help. Videos play fine if I use my various photo apps.

Anyone else having problems?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Today I learned that you can't restore a phone backup in the Android first-run wizard without restoring the corrupt system settings that caused you to have to wipe in the first place, and if you set up as a new device you lose your entire Google Drive backup for the device.

Unless I'm blind or something, there needs to be a way to just restore app data, not the phone configuration.

It's cute that you think restoring a device will ever work properly. :allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

By far the worst part of every Android device forever, is when I get a new one or wipe one, and have to "restore" anything. It's never worked to any acceptable degree.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Last time I used the Moto Migrate app to switch from a Moto G to a Moto G3. Worked like a charm, copying over all apps, settings, and even text messages.

So of course Motorola discontinued the app shortly afterwards :argh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

It's cute that you think restoring a device will ever work properly. :allears:

Eh.

I think things should work as advertised, and I'm a hopeless optimist when I'm not shitposting.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Moto Migrate was too good for this world :angel:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Moto Migrate was too good for this world :angel:

For a brief, shining moment, Moto was doing some really good work. RIP good Moto.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Does anyone use these saving/stock trading apps like Acorn or Stash Invest or Robin Hood? Are any of them actually worthwhile or do they have a catch?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The catch is that their fees are high compared to going to a traditional broker and buying some index funds, but that's about it, really.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Stan Taylor posted:

Does anyone use these saving/stock trading apps like Acorn or Stash Invest or Robin Hood? Are any of them actually worthwhile or do they have a catch?

Acorn has low rates and iirc they don't match. If you want to do something like that find a bank that does the same thing, mine does and matches my contributions up to $250/year.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Endless Mike posted:

The catch is that their fees are high compared to going to a traditional broker and buying some index funds, but that's about it, really.

Robinhood has no fees. They just use the money you have sitting in your account uninvested to make their own investments like a bank does with your savings or checking.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Acorn takes small amounts from approved cards/accounts every time you make a transaction. This is helpful for me, as I don't currently have much spare money. They also allow you to set your investment profile in terms of how risky you want it, and it automatically chooses stocks accordingly. So for me, I chose the most conservative route and look at it as forced savings, with a tiny return.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Acorns doesn't have the absolute best fees ever or whatever but is fine as long as you're not using it for your retirement saving or whatever. It's a nice way to save a few extra bucks without thinking about it.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I've been using acorns for a little while for shits and giggles. I've accumulated a decent chunk of change without thinking about it which is nice. I would be interested to hear if people think its a ripoff or not.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

dont be mean to me posted:

Eh.

I think things should work as advertised, and I'm a hopeless optimist when I'm not shitposting.

I'm hoping that google will get it right with their pixel phones. Like apple kind of backup right.
But who am I kidding it's Google we're talking about.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Acorns is dumb because it's extremely simple to setup an automatic monthly transfer to a brokerage with lower fees once you figure out how much it's investing for you on average. It's target customers should almost all be investing in a Roth IRA rather than a taxable account which they don't support. The fees Acorns charges are in addition to the standard expense fees of the funds they invest you in, and finally the $1/month fee is actually a lot if you don't have much invested already and are only contributing using the spare change feature.

Nothing they do is so bad that I would consider it a scam, but there are better options available that are just as simple. Acorns really isn't providing anything than doing a good job convincing people to start investing.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I set up Acorns like a year ago. Forgot about it. Checked it a few weeks ago and had like $1,350 in there. Cool.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yet another service not available in Canada :|

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

THF13 posted:

Acorns is dumb because it's extremely simple to setup an automatic monthly transfer to a brokerage with lower fees once you figure out how much it's investing for you on average. It's target customers should almost all be investing in a Roth IRA rather than a taxable account which they don't support. The fees Acorns charges are in addition to the standard expense fees of the funds they invest you in, and finally the $1/month fee is actually a lot if you don't have much invested already and are only contributing using the spare change feature.

Nothing they do is so bad that I would consider it a scam, but there are better options available that are just as simple. Acorns really isn't providing anything than doing a good job convincing people to start investing.

It's like people can use Acorns to save up a bit of cash, or they can do the other realistic alternative for them, which is nothing.

Acorns is valuable for saving up a a grand for buying a phone or whatever.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

Acorns is dumb because it's extremely simple to setup an automatic monthly transfer to a brokerage with lower fees

I guess? It took me like 10 minutes to sign up for Acorns. I wouldn't even know where to look as far as a brokerage. I'm obviously not much of an investor.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What if you've maxed out your Roth IRA contribution limits for the year

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

nocal posted:

I guess? It took me like 10 minutes to sign up for Acorns. I wouldn't even know where to look as far as a brokerage. I'm obviously not much of an investor.

I don't want to go off on an investment derail, but we have a Long Term investment/Retirement thread as well as a newbie personal finance thread that are worth a look.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

I don't want to go off on an investment derail, but we have a Long Term investment/Retirement thread as well as a newbie personal finance thread that are worth a look.

Thanks, I will probably look at those later on.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
Looking for an app that may not exist. There are about a dozen of us that live in one town and commute to another one and want to setup up a carpool. Ideally we'd have two groups an early and late for both the morning and evening commute and people could change between them as needed based on schedule. Drivers would be assigned based on demand and it'd need to be cross platform. Any ideas?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ever since the last Google launcher update, none of my devices refresh by default when i swipe right on the home screen. This is on Moto X, 5x, N7, and Pixel C. It's just blank until I manually refresh.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yep same here

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've recently lost all the news cards in Now, but I use Nova Launcher. I just checked and the proper toggle is on in the settings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yes, Now has been hosed for a while for me. I always have to pull to refresh to get any cards to show.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't even get the news cards at all, only weather and travel time (which, to be fair, are the most important to me).

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Is there a way to trigger IFTTT actions directly from google now? For example I just want to say "ok google, open my gate" and have it trigger my maker recipe which just send a simple https post request and opens my gate. I know there's kludgey ways to do it like sending a text or email to myself but I'd rather not do that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Has anyone ever gotten package delivery cards with tracking numbers consistently? I think I've only gotten that card once for one of my online orders. I've had plenty of other online orders since and never get that card.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

teagone posted:

Has anyone ever gotten package delivery cards with tracking numbers consistently? I think I've only gotten that card once for one of my online orders. I've had plenty of other online orders since and never get that card.

While we're bitching about Now Assistant, Does anyone still get their parking location saved? Mine would for a while when it first came out, but I mostly bike and didn't pay attention. Now apple has it and I don't think I've seen it in a few years?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

deong posted:

While we're bitching about Now Assistant, Does anyone still get their parking location saved? Mine would for a while when it first came out, but I mostly bike and didn't pay attention. Now apple has it and I don't think I've seen it in a few years?

I get one like every day but it gets confused by trains so it usually thinks I parked at whatever station I stop at.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

n.. posted:

Is there a way to trigger IFTTT actions directly from google now? For example I just want to say "ok google, open my gate" and have it trigger my maker recipe which just send a simple https post request and opens my gate. I know there's kludgey ways to do it like sending a text or email to myself but I'd rather not do that.
Huh. If the DO Button app doesn't work with voice commands you should definitely suggest it to them, that seems like a no brainer. Any app can have hooks into Google Now, right?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

I think there's an option in Now to set your usual mode of transport - maybe try (re-)setting it to Car and seeing if that works?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

deong posted:

I did get them consistently but turned those off because they were pretty useless -- aside from just not needing a reminder 95% of the time, I would often leave a place and still see the old location as where I last parked.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

CrashCat posted:

Any app can have hooks into Google Now, right?

No idea. There's an Amazon Alexa channel for IFTTT but no Google Now. It looks like Tasker has a companion called Autovoice which is supposed to do what I'm wanting, but it just doesn't work (plus tasker and its related apps all have a nightmare of an interface and seem like hacky pieces of poo poo, i'd rather not use them at all). There's got to be something simpler.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

deong posted:

Mine would only occasionally show me my parking location. Sometimes it would save it in a place that I drove past to get where I'm going. Sometimes it would continue saying that I'm parked at a place I used to be at, but left hours earlier. Sometimes it'd be correct!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

n.. posted:

No idea. There's an Amazon Alexa channel for IFTTT but no Google Now. It looks like Tasker has a companion called Autovoice which is supposed to do what I'm wanting, but it just doesn't work (plus tasker and its related apps all have a nightmare of an interface and seem like hacky pieces of poo poo, i'd rather not use them at all). There's got to be something simpler.
If you wanted to use IFTTT you could use the DO app which is IFTTT's app for triggering a recipe from your phone. There are no trigger channels for them because a DO is triggered by the DO app. So if the DO app doesn't have voice support that would be worth asking them.