Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

I always chose the Sikh guy when I play Far Cry 2. Because he's cool. I mean, say what you will about how little your choice of character mattered, at least they gave you a pretty diverse array of options.

Did people freak out about having to be a south Asian guy in Far Cry 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Did people freak out about having to be a south Asian guy in Far Cry 4?

I never even realised while playing it, but the PC of FC4 is the most white American not-Nepalese guy in the world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

I never even realised while playing it, but the PC of FC4 is the most white American not-Nepalese guy in the world.

Well yeah, he's voiced by a white guy and was raised in the US, but I figured having brown skin and a face that shows up in a mirror once (and also in some menu option with character bios) would be enough to drive these people insane.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

du -hast posted:

The Assange-Alex Jones interview is a loving clusterfuck.

Is this the :byodood: cLiNtOn WiLl hAvE tO dRoP oUt AnD bErNiE wIlL sAvE uS interview that I'm seeing forecast on Facebook this week?

e. :justpost: - this one?

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Oct 4, 2016

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

CommonShore posted:

Is this the :byodood: cLiNtOn WiLl hAvE tO dRoP oUt AnD bErNiE wIlL sAvE uS interview that I'm seeing forecast on Facebook this week?

Yes. But instead of anything interesting he literally advertised the book he wrote.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

du -hast posted:

Yes. But instead of anything interesting he literally advertised the book he wrote.

:dogbutton:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
You know if the US government was as corrupt as Wikileaks wants you to believe Julian Assange would probably be loving dead by now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fashionable Jorts posted:

And I think one of the singleplayer protagonists is an Arabic woman, who runs dudes through with a sword as you ride by on a horse. Sadly they decided to leave women soldiers out of multiplayer, because the devs knew that the male fanbase wouldn't be able to handle it (though the new star wars battlefront had lady rebels which was rad)

Call of Duty: Black Ops III not only lets you choose from several male or female templates for your character, it adds female enemies to the single player game. The multiplayer characters are also now unique individuals similar to Overwatch, and out of 10 characters only 2 are white males (one of whom wears full body armor so you have to guess his appearance from his nationality). There's even a robot and an assassin whose appearance and gender are totally unknown.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

9gaggers really hate this new confused world in which things aren't as simple as they were in the good ol' 90's kids days amirite?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

BigglesSWE posted:

9gaggers really hate this new confused world in which things aren't as simple as they were in the good ol' 90's kids days amirite?

don't tell this guy about intersex people

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hmm makes sense, after all male and female babies are distinct from the zygote stage and develop in completely different types of womb with utterly distinct hormones. No way could there be any gradation or crossover ever.

And naturally, gender must reflect that because it's a concrete result of sex. Any identification one has with aspects of other social gender roles is just flagrant denial.

Really, how can anyone argue with logic this sound?!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I don't even like Trump, and I'm put in a position of defending him because of taxes..

Yea I don't pay my taxes. There isn't single thing the IRS can do about it either. Most, MOST Americans are just plain dumb, I bet 90% of his supporters bend their homophobic assholes over for the IRS every paycheck... Hate that illegal immigrants are "gaming the system".... and then vote for someone who pulls the same bullshit. Idk, I haven't paid any taxes for years because none of you fucks deserve my money. Trumps an idiot on an immeasurable scale, but at least he understands America is the land of pathetic laziness... and nobody deserves a goddamn thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BigglesSWE posted:

Because the definition of "A Woman" is whether a random poster on the internet wants to gently caress her, amirite?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

BigglesSWE posted:

Man, Cosmos really took a dive once Slenderman took over for Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigglesSWE posted:

I am so angry about how complete strangers I will never meet or interact with identify themselves.

YourEggcellency
May 21, 2007

"Whatever I want, I get, & if I don't, I have a cigarette."

MizPiz posted:

Might just be stating the obvious, but there is a none zero chance they care more about his loyalty than anyone else's discomfort.

I work there, & Sat & Sun my bosses spent significant amounts of time discussing it & trying to resolve it. Madness is by far the best atmosphere in terms of acceptance I have ever experienced at a comic/game store. They seriously care vastly more about creating a safe, comfortable environment for everyone than selling a few cards to some invasive, sexist Magic player every FNM. We will never run out of Magic players to sell to.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I will NEVER remove the guy who "Works at Fire sprinkler system" from my People You May Know list, even though I've never heard of him and we have exactly zero friends in common.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pastry of the Year posted:

I will NEVER remove the guy who "Works at Fire sprinkler system" from my People You May Know list, even though I've never heard of him and we have exactly zero friends in common.

Bollywood loves Pakistani artists so much. Is it really about Art & Talent ?

Ofcourse not. Its 'D' command.

It's no secret what the relations between our Bollywood and Underworld are. It's no surprise there's a spurt of Pakistani artists,actors and others in the film industry. And here we're turning a blind eye because starting into the truth is much too inconvenient to us. We want to punish the nation that plays with our self respect every now and then but talk about breaking cultural ties in any form and people will label you extreme and far right.

If it was really about the talent, then Bollywood would have approached South Indian film industry which now makes Hollywood standard movies. Or they would have approached artists from other states and support Indian art.

Dear people, stop funding the Pro-Pakistan film makers as you might be indirectly helping Pakistan/Terrorism.

#BoycottPakistaniArtists

I love my indian Muslim brothers ....
But as far these porkistani actors are concerned... I wish and pray they are thrown out of this nation ASAP... back to their shithole called porkistan...
For all those so called intellectuals ( yo yo honey Singh generation ) Indians who are offended by my post... let me remind them that even in porkistan Indian movies and serials are banned time and again. .. and also it's not only the responsibility of the soldiers or the govt to fight and isolate Pakistan. But it's also the responsibility of the common man and civilians to do so. .. and still if they are offended then these illegitimate offsprings of India pseudo secularism and pseudo nationalism can bloody GO TO HELL. .. in fact even better they can GO TO PORKISTAN

what compels bollywood to invite pakistani artists ? what super talent pakistanis have that our directors dont see it in indians ? even dead bodies of army or civilian killed by pakistani terrorists can not move our bollywood intellectuals. since last 70 years they have been doing such exchanges in the name of cultural ties or people to people to contact but they have never found out what they have achieved. has pakistan stopped terrorism against india ? director anurag kashyap and the great karan johar ask whether banning of pakistani artists will stop terrorism ? have they ever asked themselves whether their prolonged practised cultural ties and people to people contact could stop pakistan from anti india activities or killing of our solders civilian by pakistani sponsored proxy war ? I know they dont even belive that pakistan can act against india . I know these bollywood intellectuals belive in the line of pakistan that all these killings are done by india itself only to blame pakistani. shame on these bollywood creative creatures . I hate them

I used to love to watch paki dramas and now I hate myself for it.. throw them out of my country. We know, they are not terrorists, but supporting them is a bigger intellectual terrorism.

Rightly said. Are we suffering from inferiority complex that we view Pak artistes superior than our own talented ones? It is time now to take a clear stand against artistes , actors & others from the hostile country.

Till yesterday evening I was of the belief that asking Pakistani artists to leave the country was unfair and uncalled for , that was till I heard a statement made by a retired Army officer , someone I have personally had the privilege of knowing for a few years now. In his statement he mentions that " although the whole country unites and celebrates the sacrifices made by our Armed forces their unity is limited to a tweet or a post" , he continues "Any member of our armed forces will gladly sacrifice his/her life for their country but why should sacrifice be limited only to the armed forces ? Why cant Karan Johar sacrifice the profits from his future film with a certain Pakistani actor for the sake of showing his solidarity against a country we are currently at war /cold war with ? . Why cant a business man doing trade with Pakistan cut off his trade ties till the time Pakistan takes some form of affirmative action against those who they often seem to harbour and protect ? . This statement made more sense to me than any of the news debates being televised. The truth is that we artists , businessmen , writers , take it for granted that war against another country is limited to our armed forces and that of our enemy , but alas the truth is far from that . We don't have to pick up guns or lay down our lives for the sake of our country , our brave forces have already volunteered to do that for us , but don't you feel that it is our moral duty to do whatever we can in our own capacity to put pressure on a country that harbours terrorists and has been our enemy since its formation despite all our efforts at peace? Let them show our people a little bit of respect , let them work on solving their own affairs , let them take a firm stand against terrorism and then see how well we treat their writers actors and businessmen . Let them show us just once that the loss of life on our side is of some significance and that they care, and we will open our homes and our hearts to them just as we have been for all these years . But till then we must unite as a country in every possible manner . Our sacrifices could be different but they must be in tandem , as a country, together.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

YourEggcellency posted:

I work there, & Sat & Sun my bosses spent significant amounts of time discussing it & trying to resolve it. Madness is by far the best atmosphere in terms of acceptance I have ever experienced at a comic/game store. They seriously care vastly more about creating a safe, comfortable environment for everyone than selling a few cards to some invasive, sexist Magic player every FNM. We will never run out of Magic players to sell to.

Oh cool hey. Tell Chris I appreciate that. I was hoping that I wasn't the only one that mentioned that. Part of me wants to dig deep and get as much info about that guy but that would be just as creepy. Also against SA rules last time I check. Gosh Lowtax I can't do anything anymore.

Also Notch was going to buy 4chan then changed his mind apparently. He deleted the tweet. Also if you enjoyed the new Ghostbusters he doesn't believe you.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/783214438434217984

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hardcordion posted:

Man, Cosmos really took a dive once Slenderman took over for Neil deGrasse Tyson

This is the most baffling part. Is there some meaning behind the faceless suit man and the space pictures?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Please give some context bobjr.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jippa posted:

Please give some context bobjr.

seems pretty clear to me, some TCU frat guy bragging about beating up clowns with golf clubs after the recent spate of weird clown-related incidents around the country, something the LIBERAL MEDIA would never cover because to them frats are all just dens of prowling rapists

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

chitoryu12 posted:

This is the most baffling part. Is there some meaning behind the faceless suit man and the space pictures?

I think he's actually trying to ape the feel of Cosmos because he thinks he's being very logical and scientific in his reasoning. The faceless thing is either an attempt to be considered "neutral" on the issue or to hide whatever inappropriate expression was on the dude's face in the stock photo he stole it from.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hardcordion posted:

I think he's actually trying to ape the feel of Cosmos because he thinks he's being very logical and scientific in his reasoning. The faceless thing is either an attempt to be considered "neutral" on the issue or to hide whatever inappropriate expression was on the dude's face in the stock photo he stole it from.

The extremely logical, wholly objective.... white man in a suit.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I finally saw a crazy Trump supporter in action. I posted something to my Facebook about how Trump seems to go against everything that Jesus taught, and yet is supported unquestioningly by so many evangelical and fundamentalist Christians. I mainly said how scary and heartbreaking it is that people who claim to follow Jesus would want to vote for someone like that.

Anyway, I got a few likes from my friends, and no one has really commented on my timeline, except my parents' neighbor who said something like, "It is scary, but what are we supposed to do?" (I don't know, maybe WWJD?)

My friend shared my post on her own timeline. This was the first response she got, almost immediately after she posted it:

:stare:

It's got it all: blaming Clinton for her husband's affairs, "Big Government," "Don't take my guns," "Sharia Law," talk of (violent?) revolution, "Research it out," and some crazy thing about the "Black Moon" that I don't get but am assuming it's some portent of evil.

This lady spewed this near-gibberish so quickly and so rabidly that it frankly astounded me. Honestly, I kind of thought most of the really crazy political IOSM posts were fake. I guess not.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I forget the name of that video series (because it's terrible) but the guy does that in probably all of them. I know this because someone in a chat room I go to linked be a video after I asked him to explain why he didn't like BLM and why he thought ALM shouldn't cause problems.

He links the video, says "The first part is just a dumb broad being dumb" (guess which part of GG he supports) that mentions the house on fire comic. I had linked him the comic, and this video starts with "That house on fire comic is a terrible metaphor because black people aren't literally on fire..

I turned it off and blocked him.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

IamnotJoe posted:

Also Notch was going to buy 4chan then changed his mind apparently. He deleted the tweet. Also if you enjoyed the new Ghostbusters he doesn't believe you.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/783214438434217984

Boy did he ever change his mind.

http://theralphretort.com/shock-minecraft-billionaire-markus-notch-persson-says-hes-buy-4chan-1003016/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah that's also something that I found off about the witcher where you're supposed to be reviled as a mutant freak and there are a couple one off lines about it but it never goes anywhere because it would impede game play.

At least in dude sex you get passport controlled when you take the non Aug paths in the metro.

Well, I think they actually did that fine in the Witcher, because he's the kind of mutant freak who is necessary. People are cool with him... you know, as long as he's fighting enormous, terrifying monsters.

Also, when your variety of mutant freak means you are really good at killing things, people might be too scared to speak up about how much of a mutant freak you are. I actually remember in Witcher 1 going "WHY are you cool with saying this to me, I'm a murder machine" and then feeling satisfied when he threatens to kill the entire drat village if they gently caress over the witch. THIS IS WHY YOU GUYS SHOULD SHUT UP.

I call this one "FuckYou.jpg"

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Ularg posted:

The stories I've heard about that time is that a black Vietnam vet would go to a restaurant in his UNIFORM and be told "We don't server N---- here". Imagine saying that today?

"Well, I would never disrespect the uniform, but that's my personal choice. The restaurant owner has freedom of speech too and the government shouldn't be involved in business. The troops are there to protect EVERYONE's freedom of speech, whether or not they agree with it personally."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

chitoryu12 posted:

Call of Duty: Black Ops III not only lets you choose from several male or female templates for your character, it adds female enemies to the single player game. The multiplayer characters are also now unique individuals similar to Overwatch, and out of 10 characters only 2 are white males (one of whom wears full body armor so you have to guess his appearance from his nationality). There's even a robot and an assassin whose appearance and gender are totally unknown.

Thats quite impressive, surprised I haven't heard any backlash about that one. Diversity is apparently the worst thing to ever happen to videogames (other than women wearing appropriate clothes), so it's odd that game slipped under the radar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

Well, I think they actually did that fine in the Witcher, because he's the kind of mutant freak who is necessary. People are cool with him... you know, as long as he's fighting enormous, terrifying monsters.

Also, when your variety of mutant freak means you are really good at killing things, people might be too scared to speak up about how much of a mutant freak you are. I actually remember in Witcher 1 going "WHY are you cool with saying this to me, I'm a murder machine" and then feeling satisfied when he threatens to kill the entire drat village if they gently caress over the witch. THIS IS WHY YOU GUYS SHOULD SHUT UP.

Ah yeah, this'll help my winter depression.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Brawnfire posted:

Ah yeah, this'll help my winter depression.

Maybe just genetically engineer trees to have seeds that work like antidepressants so everybody is happy.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

I saw this one today, with a caption on it that said "When you share this meme, someone you know with depression realizes they cannot trust you." which is bang on. I went to a psychologist last week, and she referred me to a psychiatrist with the comment that he'd probably give me medication, and for a second the whole "bad brain pillz" thing crossed my mind, so this hits extra close for me. Especially in a country with quite some mental illness stigma like mine (Greece)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Thats quite impressive, surprised I haven't heard any backlash about that one. Diversity is apparently the worst thing to ever happen to videogames (other than women wearing appropriate clothes), so it's odd that game slipped under the radar.

ironically (or appropriately, maybe) the broad-base appeal of the CoD series and the status of most of it's players as "casuals" means that the majority of people who played Black Ops III aren't even aware there's any kind of controversy related to diversity in video games, they just buy the new CoD game and play the new CoD game with their friends who play the new CoD game in blissful ignorance that CULTURAL MARXISM IS DESTROYING VIDEO GAMES

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/4/13156398/adult-swim-female-writers

Does this count? Because holy poo poo it's bad.

Tl;dr: Marketing VP at Adult Swim reacts to stats saying adult swim has the fewest female writers in the industry, with :biotruths:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

ZoeDomingo posted:

I finally saw a crazy Trump supporter in action. I posted something to my Facebook about how Trump seems to go against everything that Jesus taught, and yet is supported unquestioningly by so many evangelical and fundamentalist Christians. I mainly said how scary and heartbreaking it is that people who claim to follow Jesus would want to vote for someone like that.

Anyway, I got a few likes from my friends, and no one has really commented on my timeline, except my parents' neighbor who said something like, "It is scary, but what are we supposed to do?" (I don't know, maybe WWJD?)

My friend shared my post on her own timeline. This was the first response she got, almost immediately after she posted it:

:stare:

It's got it all: blaming Clinton for her husband's affairs, "Big Government," "Don't take my guns," "Sharia Law," talk of (violent?) revolution, "Research it out," and some crazy thing about the "Black Moon" that I don't get but am assuming it's some portent of evil.

This lady spewed this near-gibberish so quickly and so rabidly that it frankly astounded me. Honestly, I kind of thought most of the really crazy political IOSM posts were fake. I guess not.

Superimpose some biblical text about false gods over a picture of Trump sitting on his throne in his golden apartment.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Midnight Voyager posted:

This really annoys me as an outdoorsy person who has always struggled with depression and mental illness.

Yes, there are hundreds of studies that correlate time spent outdoors, even just looking at photos of forests, with diminished depressive symptoms, increased healing rates, etc.

At the same time, someone like me needs medication sometimes because no amount of pretty landscapes is going to fix what's broken in my brain. At the times when I've needed medication, I was also out climbing 6 mountains in a season and it didn't fix me.

So people who believe this are probably the kind of person who wake up ine morning feeling slightly sad and think it's depression when it's not, so they go for a walk pr whatever and then they do feel better and they think they're not-actually-depression was cured. If they had real depression they'd know that while outdoor exposure can definitely help, it's not the only fix.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Midnight Voyager posted:

Post a picture and article about the Japanese suicide forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Holy poo poo, I sat behind this person on a plane last month.

She wouldn't loving shut up about herself and her life on the entire red eye flight. She was studying to be a holistic "psychiatrist" and she word for word said that pharmaceutical drugs "are poo poo, they're poo poo" which makes me wonder if that phrasing is drilled into them.

As someone who's been helped a lot by medication it took every ounce of my being not to start a fight with this woman.