Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Would you guys gently caress these bots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I was saying to a friend of mine that Westworld reminds me of Jurassic Park and apparently the original movie was written by John Crichton? Of course it was.

Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic Park and Westworld. John Crichton was an astronaut who got shot through a wormhole.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I was really hoping we'd see other words, although it being called "Westworld" does make it seem like the western setting is going to be the major focus, and it'd be very expensive to produce period-clothing and everything for several different worlds.

I'd love to see a sneak peek at RomanWorld or something else though, there's so many possibilities.

I don't see why it has to be that expensive. HBO probably still has tons of costumes from Rome, so they could easily show some hosts getting prepped without having to shell out $$$ for the location shoots or sets (which seem like the real cost center). I doubt we'll see inside RomanWorld or SpaceWorld much, but the show should be able to allude to their existence for fairly cheap.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flatscan posted:

Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic Park and Westworld. John Crichton was an astronaut who got shot through a wormhole.

:doh: oh, you're right.

Although apparently Michael Crichton's full name is John Michael Crichton, so technically I'm not wrong!

vonnegutt posted:

I don't see why it has to be that expensive. HBO probably still has tons of costumes from Rome, so they could easily show some hosts getting prepped without having to shell out $$$ for the location shoots or sets (which seem like the real cost center). I doubt we'll see inside RomanWorld or SpaceWorld much, but the show should be able to allude to their existence for fairly cheap.

Reading about the original film (Which I'll have to watch this weekend or something) They had RomeWorld and MedievalWorld, and WestWorld and that was it. (And Futureworld in the poorly received sequel) So not like a dozen realities, so maybe they could end up showing us some of RomeWorld, just a tease or something. Re-use some Game of Thrones sets or costumes for MedievalWorld :cheeky:

If the next season took place entirely in RomeWorld that'd make me soooo happy, but I don't see that happening and I don't really mind the Western setting either.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The original movie has lots of long dull stretches where it sticks with the two boring protagonists. Yul Brenner is definitely the best thing about it, but you're not missing much by not watching it. It doesn't go nearly as deep as the show, pretty much just "the robots break down and the Gunslinger is tired of being shot everyday".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If you can't handle the movie, you can always watch the Simpsons episode based on it. It's the same story, just 22 minutes long.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"Freedom is earned not received."

Fantastic movie and I hadn't noticed the similarity in names. I wonder if Ed Harris is William Walker?

I mean maybe, would make sense but Ed Harris seems to want to discover the truth, not just uphold the status quo

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

sector_corrector posted:

The conversation between Bernard and Ford indicates that (at least at some level) humanity has progressed to post-scarcity levels of existence. We don't know if everyone has that luxury, or if it's just a slight percentage of humans while everyone else lives in squalor, but I think that getting an answer to that will prove to be important to the plot.

Capitalism for the poor, replicators for the rich.

They did complain about rich assholes quite a bit.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Would you guys gently caress these bots?

.... oh God, I just realized someone probably has to clean semen out the androids every day. :ohdear:

Caufman posted:

My crazy idea is that she is an android prophet.

It's meaty sci-fi to take on robot spirituality, and Dolores (Latin, for sorrowful) is an outstanding example. Her belief that she chooses to see beauty is the most pivotal tension I'm enjoying. And what will be beautiful when it's time for reckoning?

Oh hell yes.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 4, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That robot riding a horse in the title sequence looks sort of like Delores.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

So do the hosts consciously know that they're androids when they are in the park and following their scripts? They clearly know it "deep down" when they're being interviewed in the facility, but when Teddy shoots at the black hat he seems almost surprised that he can't hurt him, as if he doesn't know the truth in that moment (unless that's part of his script).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

El Jeffe posted:

So do the hosts consciously know that they're androids when they are in the park and following their scripts? They clearly know it "deep down" when they're being interviewed in the facility

Well, Dolores's interview began with them asking her if she knew where she was, and the (apparently satisfactory) asnwer was "in a dream." So I don't know that the hosts perceive the interviews very much after the fact, or if they do it's weird dream poo poo.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Ghetto Prince posted:

.... oh God, I just realized someone probably has to clean semen out the androids every day. :ohdear:

Randal Graves: [reading a magazine] You know how much money the average jizz-mopper makes per hour?

Dante Hicks: What's a jizz-mopper?

-Clerks (1994)

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

This scene was creepy as hell to me. Not because of any sexual stuff but that it made me think of a child playing with their doll. The lady couldn't get the emotional satisfaction she wanted from another person so she grabbed a quick kiss from the doll when no one was looking. The shot actually made me feel sad for her.

Also, what was up with all the security guys going weapons ready to the lower level? No accident in 30 years but when they go to the lower level the roll in with force.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They are the first reasonable group of people that are dealing with sophisticated AI and taking the proper security measures, no matter how many scientists say "don't worry."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just wanna say, the "robotic" acting that the host actors and actresses are doing is fantastic stuff. It could easily be cheesy, but they're putting real emotion and work into making themselves appear like machines that turn off and on.

Dolores' father's sequence with the "access previous build" was particularly well done. The way he started spazzing out when his code got buggy seemed pretty believable.

El Jeffe posted:

So do the hosts consciously know that they're androids when they are in the park and following their scripts? They clearly know it "deep down" when they're being interviewed in the facility, but when Teddy shoots at the black hat he seems almost surprised that he can't hurt him, as if he doesn't know the truth in that moment (unless that's part of his script).

No way, when Ed Harris' character was facing down Teddy, it was definitely a big reveal to Teddy that he couldn't shoot Ed Harris. He was in utter shock and disbelief. It wasn't something they were consciously aware of. Its not part of their programming to understand that they are programmed. They're not yet self-aware, although Dolores' father came very close.

That said, some people are speculating that Teddy was intentionall programmed to believe himself to be a Guest, so that could actually be an exception.

Alehkhs posted:

Well, Dolores's interview began with them asking her if she knew where she was, and the (apparently satisfactory) asnwer was "in a dream." So I don't know that the hosts perceive the interviews very much after the fact, or if they do it's weird dream poo poo.

Stuff like this though makes me think they do not and are not supposed to. In fact, the whole question "Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?" seems like a test. If the robots ever start to ask questions, they're put on ice before they start causing trouble.

Its like the creators know they have the potential for self-awareness and are trying their best to avoid it and keep them ignorant.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Max posted:

They are the first reasonable group of people that are dealing with sophisticated AI and taking the proper security measures, no matter how many scientists say "don't worry."

Part of the orientation for being on the security team is watching Jurassic Park 50 times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deadulus posted:

Also, what was up with all the security guys going weapons ready to the lower level? No accident in 30 years but when they go to the lower level the roll in with force.

They're aware that they're massively outnumbered by the robots. Even if they're not self-aware, these are robots designed to simulate murder on each other. A small bug in programming could turn them all into killbots.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The characters themselves are self aware.

"We're in a story written by the author of Jurassic Park."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Max posted:

The characters themselves are self aware.

"We're in a story written by the author of Jurassic Park."

Clever girl.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I think the secret corporate goal of Westworld is as an experiment for evolving an artificial sentience. They could build the bodies and expert system software, but the only way to birth an artificial sentience capable of moral decision making was for them to let it interact in the "real world" for as long as it took. Most of the hosts get memory wiped, but a few like the Gunslinger don't, by design. Give it a country western theme & the guests will cover the cost, at least partially. You could accomplish all the goals of the AI sandbox program just as easily in cowboy boots. Those horses would be a loving nightmare though. How do these things power themselves anyway?

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Max posted:

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed that the security guards take every situation seriously and no matter if their entire career is false alarms, every time they prepare for the worst

So far the management seems borderline paranoid about the robots going crazy and killing people, no matter how remote the possibility, because that is the only sensible attitude

override367 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 4, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

El Jeffe posted:

They don't have self-awareness at all. The "I'm in a dream" stuff seems like it's basically a cutesey audio-based interface for admin access.

Or at least, they didn't before the new update gave them the capability to.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

physeter posted:

I think the secret corporate goal of Westworld is as an experiment for evolving an artificial sentience. They could build the bodies and expert system software, but the only way to birth an artificial sentience capable of moral decision making was for them to let it interact in the "real world" for as long as it took. Most of the hosts get memory wiped, but a few like the Gunslinger don't, by design. Give it a country western theme & the guests will cover the cost, at least partially. You could accomplish all the goals of the AI sandbox program just as easily in cowboy boots. Those horses would be a loving nightmare though.

Yeah its possible. Some other goon said before it felt kinda like they were working on robots and ran out of money and this whole theme park thing is a way to keep the company afloat, or they had some huge mishap and had to shut down most of their production other than entertainment.

physeter posted:

How do these things power themselves anyway?

This is a very good question that hopefully the show will never even attempt to answer. "Future technology".

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mods please add "Its D-O-L-O-R-E-S" to the thread title. By season two you all will be calling her Delorean.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 5, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

physeter posted:

How do these things power themselves anyway?

No doubt with a power source that can be turned into a weapon in the very angry, vengeful hands of a robot

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

They don't have self-awareness at all. The "I'm in a dream" stuff seems like it's basically a cutesey audio-based interface for admin access.

Or at least, they didn't before the new update gave them the capability to.

The update didn't give them self-awareness, it just let them tap into "their subconscious" (really unused memory from their past build which hadn't been overwritten yet, clever concept)

But the idea is that being able to persist memories for longer than once cycle would allow them to start developing self-consciousness, which is why everybody is wiped every time and starts fresh.

Anthony Hopkins' hack of using that sub-conscious data in order to create better and more realistic emotions and behavior is going to end up bringing the whole place down. Which is no doubt going to have some kind of message about how its our memories and emotions that define us as sentient beings or something.

Life uh... finds a way.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The update didn't give them self-awareness, it just let them tap into "their subconscious" (really unused memory from their past build which hadn't been overwritten yet, clever concept)

But the idea is that being able to persist memories for longer than once cycle would allow them to start developing self-consciousness, which is why everybody is wiped every time and starts fresh.

Anthony Hopkins' hack of using that sub-conscious data in order to create better and more realistic emotions and behavior is going to end up bringing the whole place down. Which is no doubt going to have some kind of message about how its our memories and emotions that define us as sentient beings or something.

Life uh... finds a way.

well the subconscious hasn't given them self awareness yet anyway, it's breaking most of them, but there's no way Hopkins is done tinkering

it might give Dolores self awareness though, she might already be sapient and is just playing her role

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In computers its usually not worth actually "deleting" something. When you delete data, you simply record that space as being available for future use in the memory tables, and then later it gets overwritten. But resetting everything to 0 just so you can later over-write it is kinda pointless, so usually you don't bother. (That's what secure delete / shred does, or better yet it overwrites the memory several times before setting it to 0, to make it harder to do forensics)

One of my CS professors once told us that when he was young and working on a huge early computer that used punchcards, he realized he could take advantage of this, and he simply wrote a program that would print a memory dump of the state of the machine as soon as it was his turn to use it. (No personal computers back then)

So he just dumps out all the memory, and then reads through it trying to figure out what the last person was doing on the machine.

One time he got to execute his program just after the university had run its own management program, and he ended up printing out the salaries of all the professors on staff!

This is the idea they used for the robot "sub-conscious", which is a clunky metaphor but a very cool narrative concept that is backed up by real computer science. :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Well anyway the story is that the robots are not sentient beings yet, but they'll obviously get there eventually

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

drunkill posted:

The cost of visiting Westworld starts at $40,000 per day, so visiting for 2 weeks is pretty expensive.

Considering that we already live in a world where people spend $10,000 and upwards for a Real Doll, these prices are kinda tame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Westworld in a nutshell: Deadwood, Ghost in the Shell and Jurassic Park in a blender.

Bass Bottles posted:

Well anyway the story is that the robots are not sentient beings yet, but they'll obviously get there eventually

Yeah sure. I just like talking about computers :shobon:

The father was definitely showing some early signs of self-awareness, along with a mix of some Halo rampancy. Its gonna be a major theme.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Actually I wonder what sort of caloric yield you could get from combusting whiskey and milk.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

I think it's going to be like the animals breeding from Jurassic Park: some robots have made the jump to sentience and may have been for some time

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
http://imgur.com/a/XmiRN

"That doesn't sound like anything to me."

Sorry guys, goon site broke img links for me.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 4, 2016

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Right click the picture, hit View Image and then link from there.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I think it's going to be like the animals breeding from Jurassic Park: some robots have made the jump to sentience and may have been for some time

There's almost definitely gonna some character you thought was human revealed as a robot.

Although that's honestly what happened to me with the cowboy on the train In the beginning. It was weird that the sheriff pointed to him and invited him to participate in the storyline as though he were a guest.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

There's almost definitely gonna some character you thought was human revealed as a robot.

Although that's honestly what happened to me with the cowboy on the train In the beginning. It was weird that the sheriff pointed to him and invited him to participate in the storyline as though he were a guest.

the whole staff except Hopkins are robots

also Hopkins

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The whole show takes place inside of an autistic child's snowglobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My money is on the lead engineer.

• Locked thread