Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Svanja posted:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/783109774753792002

Slightly longer video than one I have seen before. I always tear up it at the World War II veteran's comments.

In an election of bullshit and equivocation, and a thread full of snark, this is a good ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Oh, the media will do anything and everything to write a comeback narrative. They get a loving erection for it. I almost guarantee they will write that narrative after next debate, even if Trumps performance is as terrible as the first one. The media does not want to lose viewers to a "boring" blowout race so they will do everything in their power to make it appear that it's anyone's game. Expect Trump to be written as beating Hilary next debate, even if he isn't seen as the clear winner. Expectations are even lower than they were going into the first debate.

If Trump even slightly improves up his previous performance, the media will say "Trump Shows He's Presidential", or "Trump: The Comeback Kid!" or "Don't Count Him Out Yet!" or "Trump Exceeds Expectations; Shows He Has What It Takes!" or "Trump Takes On The Big Dogs!" or some other bullshit narrative. The media does NOT want to see another bloodbath we saw last week, it will mean even lower ratings for them. The media is all about keeping viewers nowadays, not about reporting news. They provide news entertainment, not news information.

Yeah, but Trump won't do better. He won't even hold it together for the first 20 minutes this time unless he's on Xanax because this past week has just been taking huge shits on him. He's actively planning to bring up Bill's infidelities. His plan is to be a bigger and more aggressive bully at a town hall event.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Lord Hydronium posted:

But what if that's just what he wants us to think so that we lower our expectations and he wins the debate? :tinfoil:

Then he's a lot smarter than we all think, and one of the main things that makes a Trump presidency scary goes away.

A Trump presidency would still be horrific, but... it would be horrific in a more interesting way?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We already know we're in some sort of parody universe where anything is possible. I want Clinton to nominate Obama.

Michelle might divorce him over that though.

But just think, all those people who have been counting down the days to the end of the Obama presidency will have to deal with the fact that Obama is going to hold a position in an important political role for life.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I want to see Hillary wearing something like this.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

axeil posted:

So I spent some time looking at that site that lets you vote on questions for the next debate, and the questions are shockingly not poo poo. Guess the Deplorables couldn't figure a way to stuff the ballot box. There are some bad ones, but on the whole I could see these actually getting asked.

https://presidentialopenquestions.com/?sort=-votes

Current Top 10

1. Would you support requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales?

2. Do you support expanding, and not cutting, Social Security's modest benefits?

3. How will you ensure the 2nd amendment is protected?

4. Would you support term limits for members of Congress and the Supreme Court?

5. Would you act to repeal Citizens United?

6. How do you plan to make healthcare affordable for everyone?

7. Social Security is not an entitlement or a handout, how are you going to save it?

8. As president, What are the steps you will take to address climate change?

9. What measures would you propose to reduce or blunt gerrymandering?

10. What is your plan to combat climate change & build a green economy?

Kind of strange how no question about how would you ensure the 2008 recession which was caused by reckless action by wall street does not happen again isn't in there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axeil posted:

So I spent some time looking at that site that lets you vote on questions for the next debate, and the questions are shockingly not poo poo. Guess the Deplorables couldn't figure a way to stuff the ballot box. There are some bad ones, but on the whole I could see these actually getting asked.

https://presidentialopenquestions.com/?sort=-votes

Current Top 10

1. Would you support requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales?

2. Do you support expanding, and not cutting, Social Security's modest benefits?

3. How will you ensure the 2nd amendment is protected?

4. Would you support term limits for members of Congress and the Supreme Court?

5. Would you act to repeal Citizens United?

6. How do you plan to make healthcare affordable for everyone?

7. Social Security is not an entitlement or a handout, how are you going to save it?

8. As president, What are the steps you will take to address climate change?

9. What measures would you propose to reduce or blunt gerrymandering?

10. What is your plan to combat climate change & build a green economy?

i really, really hope they ask trump about climate change

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

If you put a marble in his belly button, how many pine boards would it penetrate when he let his gut out?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

This.

There's nothing wrong with the pantsuits. It's just the solid block colours that make her look Kim Jong Il

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JazzFlight posted:

Like, if he wanted, could he retract that nomination if Hillary + Dem Senate wins?
Couldn't she then slot in a super liberal judge instead of a compromising pick?

He could but he's not going to. If he absolutely wanted to then he'd ask Merrick to withdraw himself since Obama pulling Garland at any point validates the GOP's stonewalling actions. Obama wants Garland on the bench and his view is he's getting Garland or he's going to make the GOP run out the clock like a bunch of assholes. However if Clinton wins and the Dems take the Senate I'd be utterly stunned if the GOP don't try to rush his confirmation. Plus Obama respects the bench too much to make such a dick move.

If the GOP holds the Senate and Clinton wins then maybe she'll demand they confirm Garland in the lame duck but if the Dems take the Senate too I can't imagine the GOP are going to let her get such a friendly Senate for her own pick. They'd announce "the people spoke and elected Hillary so we'll confirm Garland" and then the media will probably play along with it because the media's still lovely and lazy even with Trump's meltdowns.

Phone posted:

Like I said, he should just veto the appointment.

I don't think the President can veto appointments, if for no other reason than they're the one picking the nominee in the first place and can just withdraw the person during the process.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's incredibly well qualified, but:

- He's old
- He's deferential to the government, which puts him on the liberal side of most issues, but makes liberals nervous on issues where they usually side against the government like criminal defense rules.
- He is the kind of judge that conservatives claim to love, he abides by the text and intent of the law and makes narrow and clear decisions. Some people are worried that his judgements would be too narrow and he wouldn't pull a John Roberts on Citizens United and turn a ruling about the definition of an ad into a ruling about unlimited corporate donations. They want him to do the liberal version.

Those are why some liberals are iffy. Who knows how he'll turn out, though. He won't be writing opinions solo as a Supreme Court Justice and people were nervous about Sotomayor too and she has been the best modern justice (maybe tied with RBG).

It's important to note that joining the Supreme Court comes with the ability to create precedent, whereas a Circuit Court judge should follow established precedent.

He could have totally different opinions that he is unable to exercise due to his current position. Obama certainly knows this, and probably knows that those opinions might have him being a bit more to the left than what appears.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Crow Jane posted:

Real talk, there's no way Trump doesn't gently caress up the next few debates. Even if his team does manage to coach him a little, there's no way he stays on message for ninety minutes without a teleprompter. Plus he's pretty clearly rattled lately
Trump knows he's behind, his whole "comeback kid" narrative tells me that he knows it, even if he won't admit it in so many words.

I think that means he'll go into the second debate aggressive, looking to make up all his losses and then some with a commanding performance. I think it'll go about as well for him in the second debate as it did in the first. Hillary will be ready for whatever horrible crap Trump says, and he will become increasingly unhinged (to use the talking point) when it doesn't phase her.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him drop out of the third debate if Hillary gets him as good in the second one as she did in the first. The wildcard would be if Trump still thinks he won both, even as the polls move further against him. Who knows what a malignant narcissist will do when they're on the verge of a huge, public loss...

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This.

There's nothing wrong with the pantsuits. It's just the solid block colours that make her look Kim Jong Il

That is probably it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

BiohazrD posted:

It's important to note that joining the Supreme Court comes with the ability to create precedent, whereas a Circuit Court judge should follow established precedent.

He could have totally different opinions that he is unable to exercise due to his current position. Obama certainly knows this, and probably knows that those opinions might have him being a bit more to the left than what appears.

This is basically the point I was going to get around to. I have a hard time believing that Obama would go for a compromise-position true moderate in 2016. He might have given it a shot in 2010 but by now he knows what he's up against, and I'm pretty confident the guy will end up more left-leaning than everyone seems to think. I think the true 'compromise' that came along with Garland was his age.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

BiohazrD posted:

To be honest I suspect Garland secretly is fairly liberal. Not, like, Notorious R.B.G. levels of liberal, but acceptably so. Even if he wasn't before, I could see the GOP being a colossal dick to him for so long pushing him to the left a bit, if only out of spite.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

interesting first choice of subject for the half-digested circus peanut sculpture exhibit at this year's texas state fair

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i don't see a scenario where Trump comes out of the second debate looking good, just because of the Town Hall aspect

the third is the one where I think he could maybe paper over his mistakes from the first one, but after two bad debates before that I can't see it saving him

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lozzle posted:

To be honest I suspect Garland secretly is fairly liberal. Not, like, Notorious R.B.G. levels of liberal, but acceptably so. Even if he wasn't before, I could see the GOP being a colossal dick to him for so long pushing him to the left a bit, if only out of spite.

Being stalled from having the job of a lifetime must be pissing him off big league.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

HannibalBarca posted:

So I wake up, see that Assange is (as usual) full of poo poo, and that this has caused Alex Jones to (as usual) lose his goddamn mind. Great start to the day.

Im way behind but thanks so much for this fuckin lol forever

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think Trump will do a lot better in the Town Hall format.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

theflyingorc posted:

i don't see a scenario where Trump comes out of the second debate looking good, just because of the Town Hall aspect

the third is the one where I think he could maybe paper over his mistakes from the first one, but after two bad debates before that I can't see it saving him

I'm going to laugh if he tanks the second one and then decides to not go to the 3rd one, even though Chris Wallace is the "moderator".

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Yeah well I want to see Hillary wear something like this:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I feel pretty certain that the administration knew and informed Garland that things would go the way they've gone

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doctor Butts posted:

...why? He has even less ability to control the situation than he did in the last one

and we already saw him do terribly in a town hall, and that was when his opponent couldn't answer back

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Minimalist Program posted:

:trumppop:

A saddle and bridle is not appropriate Presidential attire :colbert:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just catching up and today's swing state polling is just brutal

NC C+6
PA C+10
PA C+9
NV C+3

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Azathoth posted:

He's 42, and yet he looks like a pro-wrestler in his mid 50s.

How in the hell does he manage to age himself faster than a pro wrestler?

Cocaine's a hell of a drug

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I don't really see anyone trying to tap the whole comeback story even if he does win the debate soemhow, if only because we've been near daily getting stories on how Trump keeps loving everything up both past and present. Standing tall doesn't really matter when you keep getting your legs cut out, and with the floodgates open about his taxes and his charity, everyone is seeing blood in the water.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

...why? He has even less ability to control the situation than he did in the last one

and we already saw him do terribly in a town hall, and that was when his opponent couldn't answer back

I just figure he'll play off crowds easier.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BiohazrD posted:

This whole "secretly, Obama actually holds all of my progressive opinions!" thing from leftists bothers me. He's a socially liberal but otherwise centrist technocrat. Don't make him something he's not. Garland is a moderate who was appointed by a moderate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doctor Butts posted:

Same.

Trump won't be asked to follow up by audience members and Hill-dawg can't do a really effective "I feel your pain" moment.

Also, questions will be asked by "undecided voters'" and I can't trust the intelligence of anyone who is still an undecided voter in the middle of October to make sounds choices on what questions to ask.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nachos posted:

Just catching up and today's swing state polling is just brutal

NC C+6
PA C+10
PA C+9
NV C+3

Is one of these supposed to be FL?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phone posted:

Is one of these supposed to be FL?

Nope, there were two PA polls today.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

Saving this for posterity.

People are empathetic (well, most people). Belligerently condescending to an actual soccer mom or Gold Star widow is going to give people the visceral anti-Trump douche chills

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Minimalist Program posted:

Is the country ready for a topless president?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

:trumppop:

A saddle and bridle is not appropriate Presidential attire :colbert:

If Trump said that the next day a video would come out with him wearing them

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This whole "secretly, Obama actually holds all of my progressive opinions!" thing from leftists bothers me. He's a socially liberal but otherwise centrist technocrat. Don't make him something he's not. Garland is a moderate who was appointed by a moderate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are getting Full Communism Now: The Judge. We may, however, get a guy who is actually ever so slightly to the left as what he appears. Especially on criminal justice, where he has little leeway in terms of his rulings.

Obama is absolutely a left-leaning centrist corporatocrat, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't take an opportunity to cement his legacy as a Great Democrat by putting a 5th liberal on the SC.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 4, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, questions will be asked by "undecided voters'" and I can't trust the intelligence of anyone who is still an undecided voter in the middle of October to make sounds choices on what questions to ask.

I'm undecided as to whether I put Vilerat's name down or Brooks Cracktackle this year.

I love living in a predestined Democrat state where my vote doesn't matter. Sucks to be a swing state where you actually have to pay attention to the candidates.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Socially liberal centrist technocrats actually like liberal justices because they allow them to, you know, actually govern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If Pence actually does well, it'll probably drive Trump nuts.

• Locked thread