Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Community shows up in Marvel movies all the time.

I mean, at this stage, I just sorta assume that Community is part of the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Hawkeye's an alum.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

kayakyakr posted:

I can't wait to see what kind of trolling references Schrab inserts into the Lego sequel.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Dark One posted:

I can't wait to see what kind of trolling references Schrab inserts into the Lego sequel.

DC is part of the Lego Universe, so... you just made it possible that DC and Marvel could be linked through Community and Lego. That is amazing.

Of course, Community being meta and all, the MCU exists as part of the films within Community, meaning that the MCU contains itself.

:psyboom:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Captain Marvel is in it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Captain Marvel is in it.

Can we Retcon her name to Carol? Or give Captain Marvel the middle name of Rachel?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Season 6 appears to be available on YouTube. It's great to be reminded that from her first appearance Frankie was seamlessly integrated into this bunch of weirdos. :3:

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
https://youtu.be/m8tOiqrIAOQ

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can't believe this thread is still alive. I just rewatched the entire series. Early Season 1 isn't as raw as I remembered it to be. Sure beats the first seasons of P&R and The Office.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Vegetable posted:

Can't believe this thread is still alive. I just rewatched the entire series. Early Season 1 isn't as raw as I remembered it to be. Sure beats the first seasons of P&R and The Office.

I was getting my ex started on season 2, and I also got sucked into watching the most of the first half because of how good it is.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
We keep trying to rewatch it, but just can't since we know how badly it ends up. It's like re-watching a bunch of old home movies full of people that later turned out to be terminally ill and died shortly there after.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Is it incredibly jarring the change in Britta from season 1 to Season 5?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let's fight about seasons again, Seasons 3 and 6 are the best two seasons, Season 5 is low-tier but still good

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I hate Community, this thread, and everyone in it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Jerk McJerkface posted:

We keep trying to rewatch it, but just can't since we know how badly it ends up. It's like re-watching a bunch of old home movies full of people that later turned out to be terminally ill and died shortly there after.

Nah, it's like re-watching a bunch of old home movies full of people that later turned out to be terminally ill and you thought they died, but then you found out that they lived and rekindled old friendships but then they actually died anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Is it incredibly jarring the change in Britta from season 1 to Season 5?
If you skip between seasons, yeah. But if you watch sequentially, the change is pretty gradual.

This might be a continuity error: In Season 1, the episode with Abed's dad, Britta says she had an overbearing dad just like him. But when we do see her parents, they're absolutely delightful.

A lot of things are different in Season 1. Troy is a jock. Abed's a robot, barely a human. There's more focus on interaction between all three women. Pierce is a totally likeable guy, often with good things to say.

If you ask me my biggest regret is how they changed Pierce into this unsympathetic guy. It strikes me as mean-spirited (even for all the behind-the-scenes poo poo Chevy Chase pulled) and not all that great for the show.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I believe that was one of Chase's grievances with the character and show as well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Vegetable posted:

If you skip between seasons, yeah. But if you watch sequentially, the change is pretty gradual.

This might be a continuity error: In Season 1, the episode with Abed's dad, Britta says she had an overbearing dad just like him. But when we do see her parents, they're absolutely delightful.

It supports her brand to have overbearing parents. The truth of having a perfectly functional upbringing is the most shameful thing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

It supports her brand to have overbearing parents. The truth of having a perfectly functional upbringing is the most shameful thing.

Yeah wasn't that the entire point of meeting her parents? Britta always described them as overbearing jerks, but they really were just normal people. It's not technically a continuity error if that idea is explored even if that wasn't the original intention in S1...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

Yeah wasn't that the entire point of meeting her parents? Britta always described them as overbearing jerks, but they really were just normal people. It's not technically a continuity error if that idea is explained like it was..

They did admit that they hadn't been perfect during her childhood, but I don't think they could have been the tyrants she imagined they were.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

prefect posted:

They did admit that they hadn't been perfect during her childhood, but I don't think they could have been the tyrants she imagined they were.

Yeah, their characterization is there to drive home the fact that Britta feels the need to rebel against everything, regardless of the level of injustice invovled.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vegetable posted:

:thejoke:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vegetable posted:

A lot of things are different in Season 1. Troy is a jock. Abed's a robot, barely a human. There's more focus on interaction between all three women. Pierce is a totally likeable guy, often with good things to say.

If you ask me my biggest regret is how they changed Pierce into this unsympathetic guy. It strikes me as mean-spirited (even for all the behind-the-scenes poo poo Chevy Chase pulled) and not all that great for the show.

I would say the biggest difference between Season 1 and Season 2 is that Abed becomes the dominant Harmon self-insert over Pierce.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

The Dark One posted:

Yeah, their characterization is there to drive home the fact that Britta feels the need to rebel against everything, regardless of the level of injustice invovled.

I think you guys are missing the intent of that episode, because Britta had a big monologue where she acknowledged that her parents had become open minded in their old age, but she also listed a series of things they did (Had her drug tested at 11 years old because she was laughing too much) that her parents confirmed. Brushing Britta's pain off as an illusion was entirely why she was angry.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 5, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

If anyone else is interested in a rewatch, it looks like when Hulu put up S6 they also went back and changed the version of the S1 episodes to the NBC broadcast instead of the cut for time versions from E! that were used for the DVD sets.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn't the DVD retail discs have that problem too? They probably used those as source. They cut off one of my favourite jokes, in John Oliver's "British 10" with that move.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Watching the Season 3 commentaries now. Apparently tons of people ask Yvette Nicole Brown if she's the singer of the theme song :wtc:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That is.... very strange. How could anyone get that impression?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vegetable posted:

Everyone turned more into their real selves.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn't the DVD retail discs have that problem too? They probably used those as source. They cut off one of my favourite jokes, in John Oliver's "British 10" with that move.

Yeah, that's why I thought it was worth mentioning since Hulu used to have the version that's on the DVD's.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just finished the Season 3 commentaries. They get pretty crappy towards the end; the cast is often commenting on the episode before it screens, so they haven't watched it. Plus it's weird to hear Harmon celebrating the renewal for Season 4.

Also, Chevy Chase thought Gillian Jacobs got breast implants in Season 3. The exact words were "breast augmentation."

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I was thinking back to the pottery class episode reading this and I've only just now realised the boat class teacher was Lee Majors, having just seen him in Ash vs Evil Dead. And checking on IMDB his character was named Admiral Slaughter.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Donald = d'Lando

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

And the best post community career award goes to

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Jeff is in a sitcom making fun of millennials while Troy is in a movie pandering to them. I wonder which one will be the better career move :allears:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Guy Mann posted:

Jeff is in a sitcom making fun of millennials while Troy is in a movie pandering to them. I wonder which one will be the better career move :allears:

Jeff's slow transformation into Pierce continues.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

dentist toy box posted:

And the best post community career award goes to

The Russo Brothers. Second is Dan Harmon, but Donglover is doing his thing.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Guy Mann posted:

Laugh all your want, but this crappy CBS sitcom might have Joel working for the next 10 years and get him an Emmy or two.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Tortuga posted:

Laugh all your want, but this crappy CBS sitcom might have Joel working for the next 10 years and get him an Emmy or two.

In any case, network sitcom stars make significant wads of money, so he's going to be all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I really enjoyed Harmonquest but I expected to see at least one Community guest star. Maybe season 2?

• Locked thread