Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madmarker posted:

Hey quick question....I'm thinking of giving square money by buying fft for Android.....is it worth the purchase or is it a bad port?

If you don't mind touch controls it's the best port since it doesn't suffer from slowdown like the PSP version. Or miss a translation riddled with spelling mistakes and errors I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Has there been any English footage of the XII Remaster yet? Do we know if they were able to clean up the VO audio at all?

Also, did the 10 remaster ever patch the random seed or music restarting bugs?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

Also, did the 10 remaster ever patch the random seed or music restarting bugs?

Yes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone seen any particularly interesting vids of WoFF's combat system yet? All of the gameplay demos I've seen have just been people mashing Attack and it just looks ridiculously dull.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kanfy posted:

Agreed, except replace all of that with "silly."

It's kind of freaky when he's uses it on the bandersnatch and the model stays crushed like that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AllisonByProxy posted:

Has there been any English footage of the XII Remaster yet? Do we know if they were able to clean up the VO audio at all?

I played a demo of it a little while back, the voice files were unchanged. I dunno, maybe they hadn't gotten around to it yet but that seems really unlikely. Don't hold out hope.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Madmarker posted:

Hey quick question....I'm thinking of giving square money by buying fft for Android.....is it worth the purchase or is it a bad port?

It's a good game but it's a bad port

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kinda tempted to pick up World of FF, but I'm curious about the difference between the Limited Edition and Day One Edition. Limited seems to have all the same stuff as day one, plus a free art book, and the price is the same. Am I missing something here?

edit: -v Thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 4, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Kinda tempted to pick up World of FF, but I'm curious about the difference between the Limited Edition and Day One Edition. Limited seems to have all the same stuff as day one, plus a free art book, and the price is the same. Am I missing something here?

Day One is the same as Digital Pre-order. If you're getting a physical copy, seems like Limited Edition is the way to go.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ff15/countdown/

What are we counting down to now?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The first in-game Moogle reveal.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The next announcement of the game's delay.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Announcement that ffxv is a mobile streaming game

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
This past weekend I finished replaying FF13 and it's not a very good game. The two things it has going for it are that it's pretty and the combat system is fun (once you get access to all roles for everyone). The music is OK, but besides a few unique tracks most of it just blends into each other.

The plot is just downright bad. Your party has no idea what they're doing the entire game and no means of accomplishing anything by their own accord. The idea is that Barthandelus wants to destroy Cocoon because he believes Bhunivelze (only referred to as the Maker) will come back if a shitload of humans die. Bart can't actively try to destroy Cocoon because I guess fal'cie can't actively harm one another? That's not well explained, except that ~it's their nature~.

Honestly, Bart's plan would never have worked if not for Vanille lying to Fang about her focus and getting Dajh and Serah involved. There were no more humans on Pulse to become l'cie, and I guess if he knew about the Vestige in Bhodhum then he could lure more Cocoon denizens there and hope they become Pulse l'cie as well.

And the ending, while pretty, also makes no sense. After spending the whole game going "nuh-uh, we won't attack Eden," the party does exactly that because reasons. They don't have anything backing them up except the empty words that they'll save Cocoon somehow. The whole thing is that the party presumably misinterpreted their focus not as destroying Cocoon, but crippling it so Fang and Vanille could turn to crystal and prop it up, but that didn't know that. They charged in blindly and things turned out OK entirely by luck.

Overall the game just feels so lacking because it cut out all of the hallmarks of previous FF games. Being able to explore new towns, take breaks from the main story to go into the wild and find new dungeons, and also having NPCs to chat with throughout it all. It's all so disconnected because your shopping is all handled through save points and there are no towns, just more corridors everywhere. The whole being on the run plot for 70% of the game just isn't interesting and detracts from what makes RPGs fun to play in the first place.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I seem to recall a plot point of ff13 being that the space pope wanted the lightning gang to come to cocoon, and explicitly told them "my plan is for you to come to cocoon. I will win if you do this." And then lightning and the gang go to cocoon anyway for basically no reason at all.

Why didn't lightning and friends stay on pulse? Can anyone explain this to me?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Because they have to fight fate. It's the name of his song.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I seem to recall a plot point of ff13 being that the space pope wanted the lightning gang to come to cocoon, and explicitly told them "my plan is for you to come to cocoon. I will win if you do this." And then lightning and the gang go to cocoon anyway for basically no reason at all.

Why didn't lightning and friends stay on pulse? Can anyone explain this to me?

Because Bart specifically has a second plan going on to start a massive civil war that is going to kill a ton of people and they decide that trying to stop his plan is better than sitting on the sidelines and letting his Plan B go off without a hitch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That makes sense, thanks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't ask me to explain the ending though, it's literally "An offscreen god did it, no, we won't explain that in-game."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I feel it's finally time to confess: I did it. I'm Etro.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Terper posted:

you motherfucker

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

ImpAtom posted:

Don't ask me to explain the ending though, it's literally "An offscreen god did it, no, we won't explain that in-game."

What do you mean you didn't see the writing on the gate in the sky in the background of that one area? :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
God, it's like you don't even read the datalogs, you loser.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Oh yeah, while watching Artix's LP of Lightning Returns they brought up how the world used to have 26-hour days and the chaos screwed things up so you have a familiar 24-hour clock in-game. During my playthrough of FF13 I was keeping my eyes open for clocks, and sure enough, in the sequence where Sazh and Vanille escape from Nautilus you can look up and find a clocktower with 13 ticks around it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Every image is so dense, everything has so much going on with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoren posted:

Oh yeah, while watching Artix's LP of Lightning Returns they brought up how the world used to have 26-hour days and the chaos screwed things up so you have a familiar 24-hour clock in-game. During my playthrough of FF13 I was keeping my eyes open for clocks, and sure enough, in the sequence where Sazh and Vanille escape from Nautilus you can look up and find a clocktower with 13 ticks around it.

Yeah, that was actually a thing throughout FF13, they loved the reoccurring 13 motif.

To give FFXIII a very small amount of credit they are actually fairly good about being consistent with their weird internal mythology. They are just awful at explaining it. I imagine there's some poor bastard who has a comprehensive setting bible they spent months on and nobody cares about.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that was actually a thing throughout FF13, they loved the reoccurring 13 motif.

To give FFXIII a very small amount of credit they are actually fairly good about being consistent with their weird internal mythology. They are just awful at explaining it. I imagine there's some poor bastard who has a comprehensive setting bible they spent months on and nobody cares about.

I care.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Trip report on the Final Fantasy journey with my wife:

Starting FF9 after playing FF8, she said "Wait, this came after the other one? The graphics look worse." And she found the first two hours to be a bit boring.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Starting FF9 after playing FF8, she said "Wait, this came after the other one? The graphics look worse." And she found the first two hours to be a bit boring.

Either you love 9 or you don't. It seems tailor-made for fans of the series, like FF Dragon Quest with the long CG scenes and summon animations everyone loves from the PSX games.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

:sever:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mordiceius posted:

That's surprising. I don't even like FF9 much and I thought the first two hours were the best most charming part of the game and one of the greatest RPG intros.

Move to FFX.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

some guy on the bus posted:

That's surprising. I don't even like FF9 much and I thought the first two hours were the best most charming part of the game and one of the greatest RPG intros.

Move to FFX.

don't do this. play through so she can eventually come to see the error in her ways. if she doesn't love the game after Disc 1, then

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

That's the one she actually said she wanted to try, right? :lol:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Terper posted:

Your bumbling, meddling bullshit at least gave us Lightning Returns, so something good came out of all of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks for the update on your wife's terrible opinions, Mordicius.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

some guy on the bus posted:

Move to FFX.

Wrong - move to 7. There's no way she can dislike the intro to that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cavelcade posted:

Wrong - move to 7. There's no way she can dislike the intro to that.

We're going to wait until the remake to play 7. That game is a goddamn eyesore for anyone coming to it fresh.

We just got out of the evil forest. She's more interested after the petrification scene and what not. I think she was just shocked by the tonal shift between 8 and 9. She got past the initial shot by just thinking of 9 as a storybook game.

She saw the opening to 10 and was super excited to play that one because that game really does have a helluva opening cinematic. However, she wanted to try 9 first so we continue to improve in graphics than going to 10 and then 9.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Mordiceius posted:

We're going to wait until the remake to play 7. That game is a goddamn eyesore for anyone coming to it fresh.
Don't expect the remake to be too much like the original. There have been some really worrisome things said about rewriting parts to be more consistent, assumedly with the extended universe world and characterization.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Don't expect the remake to be too much like the original. There have been some really worrisome things said about rewriting parts to be more consistent, assumedly with the extended universe world and characterization.

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As long as they keep Cloud having a train run on him in the hot tub it's all good.