Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Zerilan posted:

It's more that people looked at the advantages and disadvantages of it, decided Triforce is generally better, and because of that think the pros and coaches are dum dums for not seeing that.

It's more that one build overwhelmingly outperforms the other build in both solo queue and pro play but yet people still choose to go the worse build and then can't do anything in games with it and it's super sad to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
"When I die, I hope they say I convinced noobs to stop building IBG on ez than I made millions of dollars."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Maybe if Stixxay had built Triforce CLG would be 3-0 right now instead of losing to the wildcard.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Libertine posted:

It's more that one build overwhelmingly outperforms the other build in both solo queue and pro play but yet people still choose to go the worse build and then can't do anything in games with it and it's super sad to watch.

What people have been hinting at but not outright saying yet is that the winrates of the two items might be skewed by the fact that people generally build IBG when they're already losing and TF when they're already winning. (I do agree that TF is better atm tough)

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I was at an Atmosphere concert today, did I miss any cool drama or news or anything

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Luna Was Here posted:

I was at an Atmosphere concert today, did I miss any cool drama or news or anything

how was it? i used to be super into atmosphere

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

The Mash posted:

What people have been hinting at but not outright saying yet is that the winrates of the two items might be skewed by the fact that people generally build IBG when they're already losing and TF when they're already winning. (I do agree that TF is better atm tough)

Except for the Uzi example which has been brought up twice. IBG is not good right now, both because it's been nerfed really hard and because teams aren't playing the kind of tank that it's good at kiting. You can't kite protobelt kennen or equalizer with it. It's maybe still good against Trundle but mostly it's not gonna save you, so just build damage and hope e is enough.

E: also considering the current meta is wombo as poo poo I don't think sustained kiting is what ez needs

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wasn't the first week pretty crazy last year as well though? And then it sort of balanced out into what you'd expect.

I hope it stays exciting.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Lovechop posted:

This is my question too

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

CODChimera posted:

Wasn't the first week pretty crazy last year as well though? And then it sort of balanced out into what you'd expect.

I hope it stays exciting.

NA went 0-10 in week 2, that was pretty crazy

I think NA can go 1-8 this year at least.

Also it triggers me that they are doing the group order A C D B this week :argh:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dragongem posted:

NA went 0-10 in week 2, that was pretty crazy

I think NA can go 1-8 this year at least.

Also it triggers me that they are doing the group order A C D B this week :argh:

This was also the order for the first set of matches (day one into the first two of day 2).

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
http://slingshotesports.com/2016/10/01/albus-nox-luna-likkrit-league-of-legends-world-championship-clg/

likkrit might be a crazy person but he's on point.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Apparently Likkrit is the one who knocks

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
You can't blame people for thinking that the Wildcard teams are going to be poo poo because there's no way to judge the relative strength of that region. But if you watched the tournament to get into worlds, I think Intz and particularly Albux Nox looked pretty okay in that tourney.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

You can't blame people for thinking that the Wildcard teams are going to be poo poo because there's no way to judge the relative strength of that region. But if you watched the tournament to get into worlds, I think Intz and particularly Albux Nox looked pretty okay in that tourney.
the funny thing about the wildcard dominance is that this was supposed to be the weakest field in a while for wildcards at worlds. turkey was the strongest region, with three rosters that were scrimming low-end LCS teams (Dark Passage, SuperMassive, and the mighty HWA Gaming with ya boy right here and also holyphoenix), but we got upset in semis, SuperMassive got 3-0ed in finals, and DP couldn't bring their star jungler or their breakout mid acquisition (Xerxe and Caps respectively) because they were 16.

INTZ had massively underperformed both times we'd seen them internationally at wildcard tournaments. ANX were arguably even worse on that count, having lost to the LAS representatives (KLG) in one of the Worlds qualifiers last year, and they were actually 2-0 down and i think behind decently in game 3 vs a pretty meh Vega Squadron squad in the russian finals. the other team in the finals, Lyon, made a great run, but it's kinda telling of how weak the field was that they were able to - Lyon and LAN had been a complete joke at every previous wildcard tournament (LAN still is - the #4 team in LAN is significantly worse than the level just below NACS, #2 and #3 are just about on their level).

even among wildcard experts, there wasn't really any expectations beyond ANX maybe taking a game off CLG and INTZ getting somewhere between 0 and 2 wins off H2K and AHQ. but turns out the rest of the field caught up, which makes me even more loving pissed off we threw vs DP because HWA would probably be 3-0 in group C right now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it's incredibly hard to judge the relative strength of any region even if you're super familiar with it because the past two worlds have had somewhat large patches fairly close to them, so you not only need to know the regions well but also how well the teams adapt (and this is relevant even at worlds, how they adapt in short series, longer series, pick bans)

people who get paid money to know this stuff have to watch an unreal amount of hours not to mention being intimately aware of outside factors to get a gauge on how teams are going to react to certain things. and teams don't necessarily have access to this information (don't know? don't care? hail satan)

stump collector
May 28, 2007
:captainpop: i didn't know you were on HWA, good poo poo my friend

stump collector
May 28, 2007
G2 is a great example of a team that picks the worst tier of meta champions and has no real pick ban strategy. They would've been better off going to op.gg and banning ANX's best champions than however they decided to approach the p/b in that game and suffered mightily. and now they won't get out of finals barring massive collapse by the other three teams.

question: have you ever solo killed dumbledoge?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Ehhh, they're against other wildcards. Yang looked godlike on Gnar but it's not hard to look good when the entire enemy team stands within a foot of each other next to three walls while a 100 rage Gnar walks towards them. Wildcard tournament wasn't a clown fiesta but league is a game where how good you look depends as much on the enemy as you half the time.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 4, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Definitely rooting for Albus Nox Luna to go all the way.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I recently discovered Rush's stream

And it is a delight

Also, Ezreal sucks

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

Schiavona posted:

This is my question too

It was really really Cool and Good. deM atlaS opened and the house was good about keeping up with him and making noise but you could tell the crowd didn't really know who he was. Brother Ali came out and did a cool set, most of his really well known songs so the crowd was more into it. I was there with a couple of friends that I roped into going with me so I wouldn't be an awkward phreak and when he came out he was wearing this dorky green windbreaker and I saw them get visibly confused when this 80 year old lookin dude came out and started spitting out some hot bars. Both his set and deM atlaS's were about 45 minutes each so I figured when Slug came out he would be doing mostly stuff off of the new album with a bit of the older stuff off of like Lovelife, Reflections, the more hyphy stuff mixed in with it, but he was doing a little bit of everything. I was like legit surprised when he started doing God's Bathroom Floor considering I don't think most of the fans don't even know about the Overcast! EP release. I think one of my favorite parts was at one point he took off the jacket he was wearing and underneath it he had a shirt that said Jill Stein 2016 on it. Someone heckled him from the crowd and he went "Did I question who you were voting for? No? Alright then, don't fuckin question who I'm voting for" (actual favorite moment was when he cut the music for the third verse of Little Man, and had the crowd sing it with him and everyone in there was singing it word for word until the last line which he used to transition into Woman With The Tattooed Hands where he had us sing the opening verse before turning the speed back up and getting right into the music backed section of it) Dude has great stage presence and at the end did a 3 song encore with a freestyle between him, deM atlaS and Ali which was one of the best freestlye I've heard and I need to find someone who was at the show recording it so I can get the video from them.

Chris de Sperg posted:

the funny thing about the wildcard dominance is that this was supposed to be the weakest field in a while for wildcards at worlds. turkey was the strongest region, with three rosters that were scrimming low-end LCS teams (Dark Passage, SuperMassive, and the mighty HWA Gaming with ya boy right here and also holyphoenix), but we got upset in semis, SuperMassive got 3-0ed in finals, and DP couldn't bring their star jungler or their breakout mid acquisition (Xerxe and Caps respectively) because they were 16.

INTZ had massively underperformed both times we'd seen them internationally at wildcard tournaments. ANX were arguably even worse on that count, having lost to the LAS representatives (KLG) in one of the Worlds qualifiers last year, and they were actually 2-0 down and i think behind decently in game 3 vs a pretty meh Vega Squadron squad in the russian finals. the other team in the finals, Lyon, made a great run, but it's kinda telling of how weak the field was that they were able to - Lyon and LAN had been a complete joke at every previous wildcard tournament (LAN still is - the #4 team in LAN is significantly worse than the level just below NACS, #2 and #3 are just about on their level).

even among wildcard experts, there wasn't really any expectations beyond ANX maybe taking a game off CLG and INTZ getting somewhere between 0 and 2 wins off H2K and AHQ. but turns out the rest of the field caught up, which makes me even more loving pissed off we threw vs DP because HWA would probably be 3-0 in group C right now.

I wonder what happened then that is letting these teams flex on the top teams from NA and EU (maybe not INTZ as much because I don't think they're gonna get another win) because in the games they've won it's been dominating performances. Do you think it's just teams not doing their research on these guys and that after this break this poo poo ain't happening anymore?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

YancyQ posted:

I recently discovered Rush's stream

And it is a delight

Also, Ezreal sucks

His vod reviews from worlds are good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrFswuOiN4

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

stump collector posted:

G2 is a great example of a team that picks the worst tier of meta champions and has no real pick ban strategy. They would've been better off going to op.gg and banning ANX's best champions than however they decided to approach the p/b in that game and suffered mightily. and now they won't get out of finals barring massive collapse by the other three teams.

question: have you ever solo killed dumbledoge?
i coached rather than played unfortunately but it's Turkey so if I get D3 who knows, there have been worse players

Luna Was Here posted:

I wonder what happened then that is letting these teams flex on the top teams from NA and EU (maybe not INTZ as much because I don't think they're gonna get another win) because in the games they've won it's been dominating performances. Do you think it's just teams not doing their research on these guys and that after this break this poo poo ain't happening anymore?
CLG and EDG didn't seem to have done research, or if they did, it was terrible research because CLG picked an awful comp against essentially a comfort comp given ANX's players, and EDG played a no-CC top-jungle combo against a team with a LCS-level jungler and a top who'd been killing it in IWC. G2, idk, I think their draft was mostly fine up until the very final pick (should've flexed Trundle bot and camped the gently caress out of the Brand) so I don't think that was a lack of prep, they (by which I mostly mean Expect/Trick tbh) just played it out horrendously. like looking back at it I guess they kinda looked like they were playing scared almost because it should've been pretty easy but obv if they lost they were basically out, and welp

My feeling/hope/inclination is that INTZ pick up 1 more game (vs AHQ) if they start Westdoor again, ANX probably don't win another unless CLG screw up really badly again. But the top wildcard teams can and should be giving all but the very best teams a good run for their money at this point with how the game's evolved.

Chris de Sperg fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 4, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chris de Sperg posted:

i coached rather than played unfortunately but it's Turkey so if I get D3 who knows, there have been worse players

CLG and EDG didn't seem to have done research, or if they did, it was terrible research because CLG picked an awful comp against essentially a comfort comp given ANX's players, and EDG played a no-CC top-jungle combo against a team with a LCS-level jungler and a top who'd been killing it in IWC. G2, idk, I think their draft was mostly fine up until the very final pick (should've flexed Trundle bot and camped the gently caress out of the Brand) so I don't think that was a lack of prep, they (by which I mostly mean Expect/Trick tbh) just played it out horrendously. like looking back at it I guess they kinda looked like they were playing scared almost because it should've been pretty easy but obv if they lost they were basically out, and welp

My feeling/hope/inclination is that INTZ pick up 1 more game (vs AHQ) if they start Westdoor again, ANX probably don't win another unless CLG screw up really badly again. But the top wildcard teams can and should be giving all but the very best teams a good run for their money at this point with how the game's evolved.

I think CLG is gonna be ANX's gatekeeper. G2 has been in full collapse mode so far and I'm not sure if they're gonna recover. I think it's gonna come down to support staff on that one. I don't think there's any real chance they beat ROX (unless ROX like monumentally fucks up a level 1 cheese or something crazy stupid) but CLG seems like a real possibility. That one is gonna come down to drafting imo. IF ANX get a comfort comp and IF they don't let CLG just run on them with like Alistar Sol and Nidalee or something I think that one is going to end up being a very good game.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
ROX and ANX advancing from group A would be some glorious poo poo.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Savage Cracker posted:

ROX and ANX advancing from group A would be some glorious poo poo.

I think it will probably be ROX and CLG, but I would love to see ANX go through.

CLG in quarterfinals would be hilarious though, they will get massacred.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I believe in CLG

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
CLG vs SKT in the finals would be like that one Rocky where Rocky has to fight that guy again but Adrian gets sick and Rocky can't cant read so he chases a chicken and fights the guy again and wins

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Adrian is a real player so this is appopriate

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

YancyQ posted:

CLG vs SKT in the finals would be like that one Rocky where Rocky has to fight that guy again but Adrian gets sick and Rocky can't cant read so he chases a chicken and fights the guy again and wins

Please no more SKT finals.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

stump collector posted:

Adrian is a real player so this is appopriate

is he

what's happening to that team anyway

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm basically saying that Huhi is the Rocky of IRL

And he will win Worlds for his bro Adrian

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
after clowning ssg on aurelion sol I have concluded that huhi looks really good on aurelion sol

idk about his other mids though

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Dropping burns thicker than a Support Brand ultimate:

quote:

Kira: 'It's a pretty cool thing to be here and have more wins than the [entire continent] of Europe'
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/17711571/albus-nox-luna-kira-league-legends-world-championships

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Zoness posted:

is he

what's happening to that team anyway
Immortals temp disbanded in the off-season and let their players go look for offers on other teams or in Reignover's case, coach for CLG. There's rumors that Team Liquid want to pick up Adrian + Reignover and that Huni wants to try Korea again

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
How has no team picked up Rush? I thought that it might have been because his English was bad, but after watching his stream his English is fine. I can think of 6 or 7 NA teams and about 20 EU teams that would probably be better with him on their roster.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

YancyQ posted:

How has no team picked up Rush? I thought that it might have been because his English was bad, but after watching his stream his English is fine. I can think of 6 or 7 NA teams and about 20 EU teams that would probably be better with him on their roster.

Rush is an old man in esport years(24), probably not super attractive after a relatively quiet spring from him (would have been better if balls didn't suck)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Why would Liquid want Adrian? I think Matt is a fine support who got stuck with a fabbbbuyyyyyy and a Jynthe.

I would like to see a Reignover that isn't restricted to playing Reksai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Why would Liquid want Adrian? I think Matt is a fine support who got stuck with a fabbbbuyyyyyy and a Jynthe.

I would like to see a Reignover that isn't restricted to playing Reksai
don't shittalk my boy jynthe he plays a mean miss fortune

• Locked thread