Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does that also mean that if you don't like a game, it's bad? Might be a useful thing to harness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Please like all future game releases Oddiom, for the sake of gamers everywhere

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

to me, if a game is bad, i don't like it 👼
Okay you're right they're all trash, burn it down

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't like overwatch and that's a good game

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

oddium posted:

i don't like overwatch and that's a good game

mei is the best imo

speaking of I am getting my new pc in a few days, the rest of the parts show up. what game should I play first, deus ex, squad, or gta v.

you know, something intensive

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

we all have bad games that we love though...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

enter the gungeon is "king of the genre?" it's only been out for maybe a year and the bossfights are tedious bullshit

I wasn't necessarily talking about those games specifically, though I hear as much praise for Gungeon as detractors (never played it).

If you want specifics though, I feel like a ton of people went nuts about Isaac and Rogue Legacy and Spelunky, all games I tried and didn't like, almost entirely because of the random element. I have terrible luck and the first like 20 runs will set up some bullshit that keeps me from ever trying them again. I beat RL entirely because you could lock the castle down and predictably that wasn't very fun.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

If you want specifics though, I feel like a ton of people went nuts about Isaac and Rogue Legacy and Spelunky, all games I tried and didn't like, almost entirely because of the random element. I have terrible luck and the first like 20 runs will set up some bullshit that keeps me from ever trying them again.
That luck factor is why some people prefer Gungeon, while there are still some clearly superior weapons it seems overall less dependent on build and room layout than Isaac. The addition of the dodge roll and blanks makes it far less likely than Isaac that you just get cornered with nothing to do about it, and there are enough serviceable weapons that you don't have to pull the rare draw to win a run. However it's just loving tough to win period so that is sort of moot. It's got other problems of course but I think they did a good job of toning down the reliance on RNG.

I never found the luck factor to help all that much for an individual run in Rogue Legacy either, aside from the very beginning of a run where you pick a descendant since the hasted classes mean a lot more forgiving timing. Seriously if you ever go back to that one make sure you unlock Shinobi ASAP. Though the luck factor does heavily affect the non-tree stuff in town which is really annoying in the long term if you are trying to design a build you like.

Spelunky luck, well, it's almost always unfavorable so really that's a matter of learning what is the most common problem and being prepared. It's very seldom you get anything positive that carries you unfairly, mostly you just get bad luck that you have to deal with. About the only kind of misfortune you can't prepare for is getting lovely low amounts of bombs and/or ropes, and that is annoying when it happens but it's fairly infrequent. There's usually some way to at least get a good enough quantity of bombs.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think there's really that much luck involved with Spelunky/Isaac. Like yeah Isaac can throw some bad items at you but with some practice you can win with pretty much anything. And with Spelunky once you get the hang of dealing with shopkeepers you have a super powerful weapon/a bunch of items/dozens of bombs etc every single run

I don't remember much about Rogue Legacy because I was only into it for a few days but I did do the Thanatophobia thing and it felt like skill was a lot more important than any luck/rng elements

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i prefer risk of rain over all these games just because of the music. the random aspect isnt nearly as unpredictable either. the key is just learning the few variations to the stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVyBV_HC8eg

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

as someone who's played her fair share of nuclear throne and is very good at it, gungeon is slow and methodical to me. i never feel like i'm going to die in the next five seconds if i can't read the situation and make a plan extremely quickly like when i spawn in 5-1+ L1 and three rad dogs are staring me down. gungeon just isn't about how well the player can do. also i hate the designs and the weapons

people who don't do well in spelunky often don't kill shopkeepers

always kill shopkeepers

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

as someone who's played her fair share of nuclear throne and is very good at it, gungeon is slow and methodical to me. i never feel like i'm going to die in the next five seconds if i can't read the situation and make a plan extremely quickly like when i spawn in 5-1+ L1 and three rad dogs are staring me down. gungeon just isn't about how well the player can do. also i hate the designs and the weapons

people who don't do well in spelunky often don't kill shopkeepers

always kill shopkeepers

I agree with that. Nuclear Throne is good but Gungeon is too slow for its own good. On the other hand, I really liked Rogue Legacy. Not as much as other roguelitelikelifes like Nuclear Throne or FTL but Ghosts and Goblins with family trees and randomly generated maps and puzzles was fun. It was on the easier side but that isn't necessarily a knock against it.

Golden Goat posted:

This can't be real:

My god go back to the low detail style.

Bert and Ernie sure are mad with each other.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Speaking of Pixel games, they just announced a sequel to The Escapist and I always find it funny when an "8-bit but better" pixel art game gets a sequel and they upgrade it to a "16-bit but better" pixel art game. Like graphical upgrades are supposed to be because of better hardware but in pixel games these days it's arbitrary as hell and just a choice so the upgrade to give an illusion of progress and just not being a complete rehash seems so silly and almost cynical to me.

I always harp on this but higher res means more time spent on art/sprite work/animation which means it costs more money so for the developers, it's not an arbitrary upgrade. That's why there's low res and pixel art. It's cheap to make.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 4, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't like Rogue Legacy because of the permanent upgrades

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think there's really that much luck involved with Spelunky/Isaac. Like yeah Isaac can throw some bad items at you but with some practice you can win with pretty much anything. And with Spelunky once you get the hang of dealing with shopkeepers you have a super powerful weapon/a bunch of items/dozens of bombs etc every single run

That's the thing though, I could spend more time getting good at recognizing patterns or whatever but all it really takes is one stupid bullshit thing to completely kill my interest and have me never play again.

A weird comparison that is probably garbage is how I played the original Adventure Island this year. That game has maybe 6 or 7 actual levels spread out against 8 worlds with 4 levels each, it's just when you come across that archetype of level again they've tacked more bullshit on it, until the final levels are ridiculous. Part of the difficulty there was remembering what version of the level you're dealing with, because in earlier versions of any particular level certain spots would not be as dangerous. It's probably the hardest game I've ever beaten, because it specifically fucks with my expectations for a level by, say, throwing in a bat in a part that I zoomed past earlier (in addition to only having one hit and unforgiving checkpoints and just being difficult in general).

I feel like not having a set level fucks with me in the same way, as I'll try to do similar challenges faster but then get owned by like an arrow trap and get tired of it before any level of mastery sets in. I dunno, sorry for the tortured comparison.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also I can't remember the idiotic place I heard this from, but literally the only reason I tried Rogue Legacy was because someone compared it to the gameplay of the Metroid-like Castlevanias and I'm also an idiot. Obviously it is almost nothing like it outside of the aesthetic. That aesthetic is probably why I plugged along with it, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

you're not wrong but most people are gonna recognize it as a video game reference over the wife of the guy who wrote the Beautiful and the Damned

Most people are gonna recognize F. Scott Fitzgerald as the guy who wrote The Great Gatsby over The Beautiful and the Damned.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

I didnt like Rogue Legacy because it sucked

the grinding aspect of it was only one of the various ways it was bad. the last game i'll ever pre-order (which was i dunno 3 years ago? so far pretty good holding to it)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what is this garbage

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know. What is that garbage? A "designer" vr headset?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You tell us because I have no clue.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its a fanny pack you wear on your face

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quest For Glory II posted:

what is this garbage

I think I have boxers made out of that material.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Underwear you wear on your face, it'll be a hit in Japan.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

what is this garbage
Lmao, apparently the solution to VR's unappealing form is covering it with Ikea's sofa fabric.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You're all looking at the dong harness the wrong way, imo

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
It's a jock strap but with facetime so you can share your dick pics like chatroulette

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God drat the Odin Sphere remake is good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

I like roguelites with some degree of overarching progression (like Nuclear Throne's characters or Risk of Rain's items) but Rogue Legacy leaned way, way too hard on grinding out gold and blueprints/runes to power up your character. It's effectively impossible to beat the game without hours and hours of upgrades, especially since the collision detection and controls aren't nearly precise enough to get by entirely on skill.

If they rebalanced it to be shorter but less grindy it would be a much better experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I like roguelites with some degree of overarching progression (like Nuclear Throne's characters or Risk of Rain's items) but Rogue Legacy leaned way, way too hard on grinding out gold and blueprints/runes to power up your character. It's effectively impossible to beat the game without hours and hours of upgrades, especially since the collision detection and controls aren't nearly precise enough to get by entirely on skill.

If they rebalanced it to be shorter but less grindy it would be a much better experience.

I finished RL with 0 deaths back when it first came out. It's tedious but not really hard. It's not very fun to play it that way though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://juegosrancheros.itch.io/fantastic-arcade-2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I finished RL with 0 deaths back when it first came out. It's tedious but not really hard. It's not very fun to play it that way though.

Daily reminder that 'not really hard' to you is different than 'not really hard' to most people.

That said, there's a trophy for less than 15 deaths on PS4 though, so it's not like grinding poo poo out is the only way to beat the game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I almost thought that F2oggy was Frog Fractions 2

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wait a minute....

"F2OGGY, by Nathalie Lawhead

F2OGGY (Only one survives!) is a Brute-Force Frog-Combat Simulator, by theIGF-winning creator Nathalie Lawhead, made for a growing audience of competitive frogfans. Each player is divided into a faction (a Frog-Faction), and must defeat their opponent using High-Velocity Amphibian Impact Lunges. (Windows, Mac)"

e: beaten. I like how it singles out "a Frog Faction)" in its description.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Same and they were the worst kind of permanent upgrades too. Oh boy I can afford +0.5% crit chance. The unlockable classes were all really same too.... and the Castlevania-style level design doesn't lend itself well to procedural generation ... honestly I love just about every decent game in that genre and I hated Rogue Legacy for a lot of reasons, lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

Most people are gonna recognize F. Scott Fitzgerald as the guy who wrote The Great Gatsby over The Beautiful and the Damned.

:geno:

glam rock hamhock posted:

God drat the Odin Sphere remake is good.

fuckin right??? now they just have to make Grim Grimoire fun and they'll be a certifiably great dev

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rogue Legacy is great but I wish the upgrades were less of a slow roll because boy are they incremental as hell.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Notch is having some kind of LSD fueled meltdown on twitter at the moment or something :raise:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Macaluso posted:

Notch is having some kind of LSD fueled meltdown on twitter at the moment or something :raise:

Maybe he should....

.... take it down a notch.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Macaluso posted:

What's he saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

What's he saying?

https://twitter.com/notch/status/783411008987471872

• Locked thread