Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i will white knight mcdonald's, chipotle is easy

edit but seriously the secret to eating healthy is exercise and portion control, specific diet is much less important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
"Healthy" in modern society just translates to "makes you stop feeling hungry without having many calories".

The root issue is just eating too much overall.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's fair, foods that make you feel full are important, as is just plain ol' willpower which i suck at

probably the most unhealthy food close by me is a Jersey Mike's Subs (which rules), but their largest-size sandwiches with mayo and cheese are easily over 2000 calories

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I thought a lot of Americans were malnourished as well as overweight, so I think part of it is what people are eating as well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NYT says Twitter is up for sale. As usual, the problem is "How do you monetize this insanely popular service?"

quote:

Twitter, based in San Francisco, is talking with Salesforce.com, Google and others about a possible takeover of the company, people briefed on the discussions said on Friday. The talks are in the early stages, these people said, with no guarantee that a deal will be reached. In particular, Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s chief executive, is resistant to selling to some of the potential acquirers, they said.

Twitter is also weighing a possible revamping that could involve divestitures and layoffs, the people said. Two divisions that Twitter is considering divesting itself of are Vine, the mobile six-second video service, and MoPub, a mobile advertising business, they said. The company is working with the investment banks Goldman Sachs and Allen & Company on its options.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Goon contempt for Chipotle is up there next to furries and dollfuckers for some reason. But I guess since food itself is so closely tied to culture, mocking someone for defending/enjoying the 'wrong' kind of food is an easy way to try to establish status.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WrenP-Complete posted:

I thought a lot of Americans were malnourished as well as overweight, so I think part of it is what people are eating as well.
I genuinely don't know if this is true, and it also has a weird overlap with that "vitamins are actually useless" statement that I've also never seen verification of.

Anybody who's already done the research on those care to chime in?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Panfilo posted:

Goon contempt for Chipotle is up there next to furries and dollfuckers for some reason. But I guess since food itself is so closely tied to culture, mocking someone for defending/enjoying the 'wrong' kind of food is an easy way to try to establish status.

Just don't call it mexican food.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

nm posted:

Just don't call it mexican food.

Of course not. If I wanted Mexican food I'd go to El Pollo Loco instead :getin:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I genuinely don't know if this is true, and it also has a weird overlap with that "vitamins are actually useless" statement that I've also never seen verification of.

Anybody who's already done the research on those care to chime in?

This isn't my area, so no one jump down my throat (pun!). These are both about elders, I'll try to find a general population one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20863332?dopt=Abstract

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12603-015-0561-5

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here's a strongly-supported cite on multivitamins being at least useless if they aren't actively harmful. I'd be surprised if Annals of Internal Medicine isn't the real deal.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's a strongly-supported cite on multivitamins being at least useless if they aren't actively harmful. I'd be surprised if Annals of Internal Medicine isn't the real deal.

Yeah, the two things (some Americans are malnourished and supplementary vitamins not being helpful to the generally healthy consumer) have a weird overlap but may both be true.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

This isn't my area, so no one jump down my throat (pun!). These are both about elders, I'll try to find a general population one:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20863332?dopt=Abstract

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12603-015-0561-5

The general impression I get from reading the abstracts of those articles is that they're not about malnutrition (not getting the right set of vitamins or what have you - for example, vitamin A deficiency), but about being malnourished (not getting enough food).

The first one uses the mini nutritional assessment which does have questions about things like BMI, but if I'm reading it correctly, it ranks low BMI as bad (because you're not getting enough food to maintain a healthy weight), etc. The second one is correlating being malnourished with being chronically ill in older adults (for example, nausea can suppress your appetite), not having enough money to buy food, not having a refrigerator, etc. The factors they're looking at are things that make it harder to get and store food, and factors that may make food unappetizing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think I saw a food network show about fast casual restaurants, maybe... 3 years ago? I can't remember the name of it, though, and googling doesn't bring up the name.

Edit: Found it. It wasn't food network. I was cooking with roommates at the time and we liked to put on food tv while we cooked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Next_Great_Restaurant

Edit2: Ouch. "The three Soul Daddy restaurants that were opened (in Minneapolis, Manhattan and Los Angeles) closed within two months of their May 2, 2011 grand opening."

Burn California to the ground, tia.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The vitaminchat is interesting but the linked papers seem to focus on stuff like cancer/heart attack in elders. Are there any that looked for stuff like incidence of minor diseases over the course of the study?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The least healthy part of a Chipotle burrito is the tortilla, get a bowl and you lose 300 empty calories.

Get brown rice on the bowl and all the carbs are low-GI, not a bad meal and I get it post workout all the time.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Shugojin posted:

The vitaminchat is interesting but the linked papers seem to focus on stuff like cancer/heart attack in elders. Are there any that looked for stuff like incidence of minor diseases over the course of the study?

They've moved all the buttons on the search interface and I'm trying to find the right ICD-10 code to search for. Give me a second and hopefully I'll have something.

Ninja edit: and if this is someone's field, please jump in, all these articles seem to use malnourishment and malnutrition as synonyms.

So, I've got some stuff on infants and pregnant women.
http://archive.unu.edu/unupress/food/V201e/ch08.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19331703

And on vit D insufficiency in adults:
http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/articles/346/vitamin-d-insufficiency-due-to-insufficient-exposure-to-sunlight-and-related-pathology

Some kind of global working group report:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4448820/

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 3, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
three big Macs a day is healthier than the average American diet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mastershakeman posted:

three big Macs a day is healthier than the average American diet

It's the fries and soda that get you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

computer parts posted:

It's the fries and soda that get you.

It's honestly healthier to get an order of chicken nuggets as a side than it is to get fries.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If the goal was to terrify me into taking Vitamin D supplements, you succeeded! I mean, I'm not actually going to, but I at least considered it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If the goal was to terrify me into taking Vitamin D supplements, you succeeded! I mean, I'm not actually going to, but I at least considered it.

I have no conflicts of interest to declare.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Women are prone to having vitamin D deficiency. We all need to work together to make sure they get the D.

:razz: I'm doing my part!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Edmonton food sharing company flouts rules, follows in Uber's steps posted:

Edmonton food sharing company flouts rules, follows in Uber's steps
Alberta Health Services says next steps being considered

Andrea Huncar · CBC News
October 1, 2016

A small local food-sharing company is following on the heels of global ride-sharing company Uber, flouting the rules while operating in Edmonton.

Kian Parseyan launched food-sharing firm Scarf on Sept 1, after failing to receive government approval.

"We are doing the best we can to maintain safety," Parseyan said Friday. "We want to work with Alberta Health. We want to. They said no."

The company's website — get scarf — displays pictures of meals being prepared by nearby local cooks. One search turned up a wide range of meals, including veggie lasagna, meat loaf stuffed with mac and cheese, parmesan crusted snapper and cilantro lime chilli. Chefs set the prices for each meal at about $11.

Customers purchase a portion in advance, pay on the site, then pick up their food. Scarf receives a 20 per cent cut.

Parseyan said the business opened after a year of research and planning. But last summer Alberta Health informed him in a letter they couldn't support his venture.

Parseyan said he asked himself: "How did Uber make it through the regulations? What did they do?"

The ride service eventually became legal in Edmonton, but only after a lengthy battle, during which it often operated outside the law.

Parseyan said a politician he spoke with, who he refused to identify, suggested it was better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, so he decided to go ahead with the business.

"I think we're about 30 years behind in terms of when the laws were written and what they would look for, because the current regulations do not really accommodate the current technology that's available," said Parseyan.

In an emailed statement, Alberta Health Services said all food operators must have a food permit, provided by AHS following an inspection and approval.

"AHS is aware of this website/operation, and has had multiple discussions with the individual leading this," reads the statement. "At this time, we cannot speak further to this, as we consider our next steps regarding this operation.

"We are here to help Albertans serve safe food and to support them in complying with the regulations that are designed to protect our health and the safe delivery of these operations," the statement adds.

But Parseyan insisted his operation is safe. He said chefs undergo criminal background checks and they are tested for their knowledge of food safety, while the kitchens undergo inspections.

Convenient, affordable nutrition

He also argued that poor nutrition, which can lead to cancer and cardiovascular disease, is much more dangerous than food-borne illness.

"Adding to people's convenient access to affordable nutrition — that is the long-term way we help society," he said.

His company is the latest to pop up in the sharing economy that includes people providing dinners, accommodations or dog kennels from their own homes, or use of their vehicles.

So far, said Parseyan, less than 50 customers are using Scarf, with food provided by about 30 verified cooks. He said those offering meals range from vegan cooks and warm welcoming moms to red seal chefs.

Parseyan said the idea for Scarf was inspired by his own personal experience working long hours as a young professional on a small budget.

He put an ad in a community newsletter looking for people to make healthy, home cooked meals and soon had several offers to choose from each night.

"This feeling I got from being able to just walk for two minutes, pick up a meal and just come back home, eat and keep working — it was so fantastic I had to share this idea with this world," he said.

andrea.huncar@cbc.ca @andreahuncar

'We want to work with Alberta Health...They said no.'
- Kian Parseyan

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

He also argued that poor nutrition, which can lead to cancer and cardiovascular disease, is much more dangerous than food-borne illness.
What's a little e.coli 0157 between friends? It's not as if most people prioritize immediate risk way above long-term risk.

I swear, the next time I see a paid service described as "sharing", I shall scream out loud. When I share a smoothie, I don't expect my friend to cough up half the price, far less do I expect to make a profit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

unknown posted:

'We want to work with Alberta Health...They said no.'
- Kian Parseyan

Yet another service that already exists but this one has an app so it's TOTALLY DISRUPTIVE. And it's not even delivery!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I can't see how amature cooks cooking in uninspected, possibly filthy kitchens could go bad. How do i sign up?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's a little e.coli 0157 between friends? It's not as if most people prioritize immediate risk way above long-term risk.

I swear, the next time I see a paid service described as "sharing", I shall scream out loud. When I share a smoothie, I don't expect my friend to cough up half the price, far less do I expect to make a profit.

Especially when it isn't sharing. Stop corrupting the language to cover your lack of a business!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

I can't see how amature cooks cooking in uninspected, possibly filthy kitchens could go bad. How do i sign up?

its not a completely terrible idea on a small scale but it gets increasingly worse as you scale because there's certainly a limited number of people who aren't filthy who are willing to do part time wildcat cooking from their home. like the founders of these startups have wonderful fantasies of people connecting and sharing meals but you really need a sweet spot of people who are competent and clean and want to cook, but don't like open their own cafes or whatever or even just host a dinner club for friends. espcially when you incentivize volume and people start to rely on this to pay their bills rather than whatever goofy fantasy of sharing food community empowerment

really the problem is when you try to monetize this practice. there's a couple people in my neighborhood who put up flyers about selling home cooked meals, and they'll fly under the radar with this grey market practice. it's when you set up an llc to encourage people to break the law that the problems start

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 4, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I think if nutrition is such an issue then he should find a way to set up a charity/nonprofit service and shill for donations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I think if nutrition is such an issue then he should find a way to set up a charity/nonprofit service and shill for donations.

Tom Lehrer: "specializing in the diseases of the rich". Nutrition of the upper-middle-classes is a high priority.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Home cooking sales is a great idea if you can figure out a way to deal with the food safety issues. It'd be a great way for stay-at-home parents to make a little extra cash, much in the same way as stay-at-home parents who also take in another couple of children as a sort of small-scale daycare. It'd also be good for the semi-retired whose retirement savings don't quite cover their costs. It'd probably involve a simplified set of food safety certifications for cooks who do less than 10 meals a day from their own residence.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

Home cooking sales is a great idea if you can figure out a way to deal with the food safety issues. It'd be a great way for stay-at-home parents to make a little extra cash, much in the same way as stay-at-home parents who also take in another couple of children as a sort of small-scale daycare. It'd also be good for the semi-retired whose retirement savings don't quite cover their costs. It'd probably involve a simplified set of food safety certifications for cooks who do less than 10 meals a day from their own residence.
The thing is, if you're in a commercial kitchen, there are eyes on you. (How much they care is another issue.) If you're at home and you're under the clock because the kids get home soon and you take a safety shortcut, there's nobody there to say "No, you don't use the chicken that turned out to smell bad when you opened it." There's also nobody to comment if you ignore the safety standards you were taught when you were certified. Reusing the chicken knife on the vegetables? No problem. Using the mushrooms from your back yard in soup? Knock yourself out.* Finally, a commercial kitchen has high-heat dishwashers that will kill all bacteria, while a home dishwasher (or handwashing!) is a lot iffier.

All of these are serious problems that you have to address when you have businesses based on at-home cooks. Single businesses owned by the cooks are one thing, because they are formally certified and allowed to serve only a limited range of foods. Letting Sarah make her aunt Minnie's lemon meringue pie with the raw-egg filling is not such a good idea. You want home cooks to kill or endanger their families, no more.

* This actually happened a few years ago with a family running a nursing home. Four people sick, two died. Imagine if they'd been cooking meals through a "sharing" company. http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/11/poisonous-mushrooms-kill-two-elderly-women-california.html

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thing is, if you're in a commercial kitchen, there are eyes on you. (How much they care is another issue.) If you're at home and you're under the clock because the kids get home soon and you take a safety shortcut, there's nobody there to say "No, you don't use the chicken that turned out to smell bad when you opened it." There's also nobody to comment if you ignore the safety standards you were taught when you were certified. Reusing the chicken knife on the vegetables? No problem. Using the mushrooms from your back yard in soup? Knock yourself out.* Finally, a commercial kitchen has high-heat dishwashers that will kill all bacteria, while a home dishwasher (or handwashing!) is a lot iffier.

All of these are serious problems that you have to address when you have businesses based on at-home cooks. Single businesses owned by the cooks are one thing, because they are formally certified and allowed to serve only a limited range of foods. Letting Sarah make her aunt Minnie's lemon meringue pie with the raw-egg filling is not such a good idea. You want home cooks to kill or endanger their families, no more.

* This actually happened a few years ago with a family running a nursing home. Four people sick, two died. Imagine if they'd been cooking meals through a "sharing" company. http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/11/poisonous-mushrooms-kill-two-elderly-women-california.html

Don't assisted living communities have certified and inspected kitchens?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

people already do this on a small scale level though without signing up for Probably Illegal Startup, Inc. the app just provides a larger market... while also notifying others of your quasi-illegal activity. like i can already drive a jitney without tying myself into an app. these sort of wildcat businesses spring up in immigrant communities all the time. when i worked construction the empanada and tamale trucks that showed up at job sites were certainly unlicensed. the point of doing this stuff is to do it in a way that doesn't attract attention, and i certainly wouldn't try to organize my own fleet of questionably licensed food trucks where all the burden is on the truckster and i just take ten percent off the top for 'expenses'

wateroverfire posted:

Don't assisted living communities have certified and inspected kitchens?

yes, and bringing random ingredients you found into a kitchen and cooking them is a big no-no

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Food poisoning is a thing; like a 3k people die per year and like 125k hospitalized in the US sort of thing. There is a reason that it is very tough to get a home kitchen licensed for anything that is not shelf stable. The kitchens in many restaurants, even with the oversight, are scary. Food prep and handling are not something I want disrupted.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The same should go double for home daycares and nannies, yet they still mostly manage to keep their charges alive.

There would be a certain element of "buyer beware" with this stuff. Are you a 25-year-old guy with a cast iron stomach? Then go for it. Are you 78 with immune issues? Maybe not.

People don't realize how dangerous all restaurants are. I've got plenty of food poisoning from respectable restaurants, but never got sick eating in the filthiest of home kitchens. Restaurants already do a lot of the stuff you are assuming that only amateur chefs would do, such as using the whiffy chicken and not cleaning well enough. Check out this article on a restaurant that was found to be preparing food in a filthy alley. "Eyes on you" didn't help much here. The restaurant had been inspected and given an "A" rating.

http://gothamist.com/2015/08/26/prosperity_dumpling_uh_oh.php

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Acinonyx posted:

Food poisoning is a thing; like a 3k people die per year and like 125k hospitalized in the US sort of thing. There is a reason that it is very tough to get a home kitchen licensed for anything that is not shelf stable. The kitchens in many restaurants, even with the oversight, are scary. Food prep and handling are not something I want disrupted.

yeah. i'm a nine year vet of the foodservice industry. my home kitchen is cleaner than a lot of restaurant kitchens and that's not a humblebrag, it's way easier to keep a domestic kitchen clean because you don't have to follow safe food handling standards at home, not only because it's impossible to enforce but also because it's way easier to safely handle food on a domestic scale than on a commercial scale. i believe that someone cooking for one of these home kitchen startups could most likely cook 12ish meals safely but as the volume of meals goes up, as well as the frequency of cooking, you're rapidly going to run into problems of safe food handling and storage, and if you're going to be cooking that much you might as well just, you know, go work in a kitchen

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

boner confessor posted:

yes, and bringing random ingredients you found into a kitchen and cooking them is a big no-no

I concur.

Acinonyx posted:

OTOH haven't you had tons of meals at friends' houses or at bbqs or in other unregulated and possibly sketchy settings without any problems? I certainly have. As long as a home kitchen's production really is small scale it's not a lot different than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nm posted:

I don't think they're amateur cooks, they're getting paid. That's where the regulation comes into play.