Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-86-2/

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

akulanization posted:

hmmmm...this strikes a particularly poor tone after the drawn out chapter about rape.

Ah ha ha ha I love this incredibly stupid comic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

more like wrong female protagonist right

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Any proposals as to where she's going and why?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, Furnace being yelled at for murdering people in the line of duty was probably one of the most politically relevant today things that this comic has done, isn't it?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Man, I'm looking forward to seeing all the comments trying to justify this one.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, I'm looking forward to seeing all the comments trying to justify this one.

Same

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

My hat is off to the author for this one. This page is great for all the wrong reasons but at least we're tying it into the theme of the chapter.

Edit: I'm also betting that this is just a scare tactic to get him to feel helpless since he just did the same to her. But who knows, maybe SFP was really about the birth of a super villain.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure the realistic result of this is Max calling the police and Allison doing jail time. Like, I don't see how else this goes down, unless she's blackmailing him with revealing his power, as well.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I don't think superman really has to do jail time if she doesn't feel like it

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

violent sex idiot posted:

I don't think superman really has to do jail time if she doesn't feel like it

Well no, it isn't really possible to make her. But it certainly would be interesting to see her forced to step back and actually look at what she's been doing.

Also this continues to make her decision regarding Patrick's donation all the more baffling. "I won't take your money, but I sure will take your lead so I can physically coerce a dude into doing what I want him to!"

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also this continues to make her decision regarding Patrick's donation all the more baffling. "I won't take your money, but I sure will take your lead so I can physically coerce a dude into doing what I want him to!"

I mean, it sort of makes sense if you're looking at it from a "ethical purity" standpoint instead of an "effectiveness" standpoint. Or, y'know, it has its own internal logic which ignores a lot of variables, but in a way consistent with Alison not being very good at ethics.

"I'm a good person. This is blood money, so I won't take it; no matter whether I used it for good ends, using blood money would make me just like a villain."

"I'm a good person, and this guy is a selfish bad person. I want him to do something good, and he won't, and that makes him just like a villain. So whatever I do to him is justified."

That is to say, one is a tacit acceptance of the fact that Bad People (even if they are genuinely doing awful things!) aren't perfectly selfish, perfectly exploitative misanthropes, and the other is an attack on Bad People and their Bad People Philosophies, so she's going to choose the latter whether or not it accomplishes her goals because she's more heavily invested in being Good than doing good.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe, but you would have to be a particular kind of stupid to decide that Patrick's money is tainted by his methods, but the super secret information that he found (that was deliberately hidden by a congresswoman, no less) is not going to be equally soiled.

But yes, Allison is probably that kind of stupid.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

You know what? I'm sure I'll be disappointed in the end, but for now I find this latest development very interesting. Alison has become the tyrant her professor talked about, and I'm willing to see where this goes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo. They went there. They totally went there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol

This comic continues to amaze.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It's better than I dreamed it would be.

I wonder if she'd just going to spray everyone with his power, or head to the convention center and power up the people at brad's convention. Either way it's against their consent, and Max's. She's just decided this is best and is going for it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Galvanik posted:

It's better than I dreamed it would be.

I wonder if she'd just going to spray everyone with his power, or head to the convention center and power up the people at brad's convention. Either way it's against their consent, and Max's. She's just decided this is best and is going for it.

If she ends up accidentally turning everyone at the convention into just straight up dogs or whatever I will love this comic forever. This comic kind of needs Alison to suffer a major defeat, narratively speaking.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

quote:

Hell yes! God, I hope she breaks his wrist. I wanna hear it snap.
I've read every page and I’ve never flat-out cheered her on before now. Just wanted to get that in before somebody starts in about how this one moment and choice will now inevitably turn Alison into a fascist dictator. Slippery slope, my rear end!
All we know now is that a ton of lives are at stake. Is it great to coerce others physically? No, it sucks. But isn’t that particular moral lapse in this particular instance with this particular dickhead worth it in order to save a ton of lives? I’m thinking yes. She’s a human being, not a saint or an angel. The point of her life is not to lead a perfect existence above reproach with an immaculate conscience. Striving for moral perfection, just for your own smug satisfaction, seems pretty amoral to me when the stakes are that high. I’d argue people in this flawed, difficult world have a responsibility to get a little blood on their hands from time to time when there's no other choice. And you just try better next time.
Snap it, Alison! Just one! He can afford to see a doctor later.

quote:

Ah, but what is her plan? we haven't heard what her proposal is yet. Maybe she's going to say, amp up her healing friend to the point that her organs will grow other organs and they can start a farm and just harvest poo poo, thus freeing her from pain and massively increasing the output of lives her powers saved. It's not necessarily that particular idea, but she seems to think 4 hours will make a HUGE difference, so it's something she perceives as really big and one time.

Being put back in the water matters to the starfish. But If all the starfish are back in the water, will it matter to them that the turtle was forced to do it?

quote:

"my base needs"

This one line demonstrates why your analogy doesn't work. You're acting like it doesn't matter what the superhero in this situation is actually trying to accomplish.

Alison is not fulfilling a "base need." She is saving an enormous number of lives. The alternative is respecting Max's autonomy but letting those people die. Violating Max's autonomy is bad; sacrificing many, many lives on the altar of his autonomy is worse.

Utilitarians! :v:

(There's way, way more comments going "Whoa, what the gently caress, Allison")

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 4, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How exactly will Martin Galt-Shkreli randomly boosting the powers of people under Allison's flight plan save "an enormous number of lives"?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It occurs to me that Patrick may have set her up to discredit her in the eyes of the government. I mean, even more than her threatening to murder a crowd of protestors on national TV. Even aside from the fact that the government might not want more superpowered people running around, this guy is the son of a congresswoman. "Allison Green will break into your house to threaten your family if she wants to!" should be a really good bipartisan rallying cry.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Poltergrift posted:

That is to say, one is a tacit acceptance of the fact that Bad People (even if they are genuinely doing awful things!) aren't perfectly selfish, perfectly exploitative misanthropes, and the other is an attack on Bad People and their Bad People Philosophies, so she's going to choose the latter whether or not it accomplishes her goals because she's more heavily invested in being Good than doing good.

:drat:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

When you get down to it, Alison is not really opposed to solving problems with violence. She's just frustrated that most problems cannot be solved with more violence than she'd like.

This is a fairly reasonable amount of violence, to her.

Galvanik posted:

It occurs to me that Patrick may have set her up to discredit her in the eyes of the government. I mean, even more than her threatening to murder a crowd of protestors on national TV. Even aside from the fact that the government might not want more superpowered people running around, this guy is the son of a congresswoman. "Allison Green will break into your house to threaten your family if she wants to!" should be a really good bipartisan rallying cry.

Something like this would only be as effective as Alison allows it to be.

The only countermeasure we know of that could stop her would be sending Cleaver after her (in much the same way that sending her after Cleaver was the only way they got him in custody). But now they play chess and talk about Harry Potter together.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Well, they could put a teleporter in a space suit and drop her in hard vacuum. Assuming she needs to breathe.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Hey, don't you pin this on us.

I mean, if I thought Alison was the kind of person who would genuinely use this dude's power to save a massive number of lives, I'd be more inclined to agree with her (although, of course, that runs into the problem of creating the principle "if you can do good, you should be forced to do good," which has historically failed to produce actual good, so I'd prefer if she tried less coercion and more, like, persuasion via arguments or paying him or something.) The problem is that she's consistently failed to do that -- if Alison were actually trying to do the most good, she'd be turning a crank in Somalia instead of going to college.

I mean, greatest good for the most people, absolutely, but you need rules to prevent fallible people abusing their power, or else you wind up with a universe full of people locked in Cocaine Booths because cocaine produces the biggest dopamine response for the cheapest price.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 4, 2016

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Honestly, I don't think the author is expecting us to cheer Alison on for doing this and we're supposed to be shocked that she's willfully crossing a moral threshold in order to achieve her goals. This has the potential to be very gripping in a comic where the author arsed to -

1. Explain how John Galt's power worked. (Though it's implied on this page via the "fairy dust" comment that it's a one-time thing he needs to do rather than something he needs to sustain via willpower or his presence.

2. Explain just what Alison wants to DO with his power. Who does she have in mind for boosting? What does she hope to achieve with it? What are the (other) potential complications with this plan? If we could see a line between "Alison is roughing up another avatar of Guy With Bad Opinions" and "Little Mary Lou is dying of cancer and only a buffed Chemotherapy-Woman's powers can save her" then we could weigh the means against the ends of Alison's goals. But THAT leads to

3. What the gently caress are Alison's goals? I mean besides those cute REDACTED bars under "End Famine, War, Plague et alia." in her dream journal

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Something like this would only be as effective as Alison allows it to be.
Allison isn't Superman. So far as we know she needs air, food and sleep. Just waiting until she's asleep and filling her room with carbon monoxide should be able to kill her.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Poltergrift posted:

The problem is that she's consistently failed to do that -- if Alison were actually trying to do the most good, she'd be turning a crank in Somalia instead of going to college.

Sorry but this is the single dumbest comic about superman and the fact that it keeps getting posted is annoying. Alison turning a crank would hardly solve the systematic problems in Africa or anywhere else in the world for that matter. The fact that she could be an amazing agent for change is still true, but the further we go the dumber it gets regarding her approach to "saving the world". At this point her becoming a villan seems like the only way to keep it even remotely interesting.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Poltergrift posted:

I mean, if I thought Alison was the kind of person who would genuinely use this dude's power to save a massive number of lives, I'd be more inclined to agree with her (although, of course, that runs into the problem of creating the principle "if you can do good, you should be forced to do good," which has historically failed to produce actual good, so I'd prefer if she tried less coercion and more, like, persuasion via arguments or paying him or something.) The problem is that she's consistently failed to do that -- if Alison were actually trying to do the most good, she'd be turning a crank in Somalia instead of going to college.

I mean, greatest good for the most people, absolutely, but you need rules to prevent fallible people abusing their power, or else you wind up with a universe full of people locked in Cocaine Booths because cocaine produces the biggest dopamine response for the cheapest price.

something something rule utilitarianism always boils down to act utilitarianism something something (it is a good tool but not the end-all be all of moral reasoning, as much as that one person in the comments seems to think it is). :v:

Thinking things over, Allison has a lot of good principles, but she's not actually that great of a person, is she? I mean, not that that's entirely her fault, but still.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

something something rule utilitarianism always boils down to act utilitarianism something something (it is a good tool but not the end-all be all of moral reasoning, as much as that one person in the comments seems to think it is). :v:

Thinking things over, Allison has a lot of good principles, but she's not actually that great of a person, is she? I mean, not that that's entirely her fault, but still.

Allison is only on team good guy because pintsized asked her first. She is usually stopped by other people from being a murder slaughter, and actively entertains murdering groups of people casually.

She's not a good guy. She a sociopath with super powers, and the author doesn't realize that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah the art took a step back with this page.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I hope the gas-person's power upgrades and turns them into plasma, burning through their little containment suit and killing them as they dissipate. I hope the fish-lady literally turns into a fish and suffocates. Maybe there'll be a hero with gravity powers that uncontrollably creates a black hole, destroying the earth and ending this comic. What the hell does "make other kids more powerful" even mean when superpowers are so varied?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Cleaver's power is getting "stronger" and it's literally killing him.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I don't think this page was a surprise to anybody

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I dunno, Max seems pretty surprised.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Paladin will be able to create even shittier murals

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ahahahahaha she really did it, the absolute madwoman :allears:

I wonder if she wants to power up someone specific, or if she just wants to "sprinkle dust" randomly all over the country. I really hope it's the former, because the latter could turn out to be really dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm pretty sure the realistic result of this is Max calling the police and Allison doing jail time. Like, I don't see how else this goes down, unless she's blackmailing him with revealing his power, as well.

"So why was she beating you, anyway?"

Possibility 1:

"No reason! She just barged in and started hitting me!"

"Alison Green did this. Mega Girl. For absolutely no reason at all."

"Uh, yes."

"Uh-huh."

Possibility 2:

"She wanted me to use my secret superpower that I am pathologically unable to deal with or admit to anyone that I have!"

"So, you'll testify to this effect in court?'

Don't get me wrong, this is an absolutely horrible idea for a variety of reasons, but it's conceivable that she could at least imagine that she might get away with it.

• Locked thread