Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

http://i.imgur.com/seKekfs.jpg

Won this game on a mulligan to 3 on the play against an opponent who kept 7 and played a turn 3 Choke (which stayed on the board for a lot of turns). Don't keep your Veteran Explorers in vs Miracles, Nic Fit players. Also be careful with your Pithing Needle names, I guess.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

FTFY

I'm pretty sure that's the guy whose draws against me while he was dead on board were Abrupt Decay, Thragtusk, Resto, Pod, Eternal Witness. I drew land x4 obviously.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I crazy for wanting to put Cursed Scroll in a Legacy burn deck?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Star Man posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to put Cursed Scroll in a Legacy burn deck?

not at all crazy for wanting to because Cursed Scroll owns (and I'm sad I don't ever get to use my playset), likely crazy for actually doing it since scroll is slow and burn does not tend to do very well when the game goes long or it needs to spend much time/mana controlling the board with cards that don't also hurt the opponent

on the other hand you likely know your local meta better than we do, so its totally possible that 2-3 copies would actually be a good choice to overcome Kor Firewalker.dec or something

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 26, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All I own for burn right now is a playset of Lightning Bolts and a pile of Mountains. It was something on my mind this morning, I like it because it can go long like Grim Lavamancer does. I know that I've seen it in Legacy burn lists before.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i think it was in old RDW decks but a 3 mana card that doesn't do anything seems worse than any of your millions of lava spikes or prices or eidolons

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It was a staple for a time, but so was kheldon mauraders. Too many other options outclass it these days, and the whole format has gotten faster along with having sources of life gain like deathrite shaman. Going long doesn't fit into burns plan anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Okay :smith:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think it would be very viable in a miracles-heavy format as something you can drop turn 1 and then just kill them with and it doesn't die to StP. Against most other decks I think most of the regular spells are just better.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i think it was in old RDW decks but a 3 mana card that doesn't do anything seems worse than any of your millions of lava spikes or prices or eidolons

The other thing is that ancient RDW deck was a fundamentally different deck that was not really in a hurry to win and more wanted to deal like 3 damage per turn until you were at 8 and only burn you out then, or actually play as the control deck in some creature matchups. Scroll fundamentally doesn't fit in the way that current burn decks play.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Built modern spirits because I already had 90% of the cards for it, and my other two decks are infect and bogles because I hate everyone.

Spirits is cool and fun, and I need tempo practice anyways. Has anybody else made it?

Any advice on side boarding against popular archetypes and matchup info and/or tips and tricks?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Today's your lucky day https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-45-tix-modern-uw-spirits

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

woah, fortuitous.

I like this list a bit more: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13441&d=278913&f=MO

but budget magic is alright too.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 27, 2016

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

I think it would be very viable in a miracles-heavy format as something you can drop turn 1 and then just kill them with and it doesn't die to StP. Against most other decks I think most of the regular spells are just better.

The problem with this is that Miracles is already bringing in wear//tear for Vortex, Eidolon, and random SB cards. A lot of EEs around right now too. Also as a 1 drop it is really bad vs established countertop if you don't have it in your opener. Really for the Miracles matchup with burn you just want 4 firecrafts and try to knock your opponent low enough before they get cb/top to finish them off with them.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

The problem with this is that Miracles is already bringing in wear//tear for Vortex, Eidolon, and random SB cards. A lot of EEs around right now too. Also as a 1 drop it is really bad vs established countertop if you don't have it in your opener. Really for the Miracles matchup with burn you just want 4 firecrafts and try to knock your opponent low enough before they get cb/top to finish them off with them.

My anti-miracles choice is still vexing shusher over firecraft but I also don't play burn very often and haven't updated my list in a while.

I think the card would be useful because it gets down before they get CB in a miracles heavy environment, but I'm also talking about a miracles heavy environment to the point where you're significantly altering your maindeck to deal with it.

For a while miracles was like 50% of the local meta and I had a lot of 12 post success as a result, so that's what I'm talking about when I say miracles heavy, not just the usual representation. In those sorts of scenarios you're going to have maindeck vortices and probably some number of firecrafts somewhere and in that case scroll might be good.

The only deck scroll really has a strong presence in though is Pox, and Pox is bad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I always hated shusher vs miracles. They almost always leave in path and maybe terminus in since burn is so creature heavy now.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Plow and most if not all of your terminus stay in against burn. Not only does burn have a bunch of creatures that are very important to answer but you can use plow as a life gain spell in a pinch and terminus counterbalances fireblast and gets rid of eidolon without extra damage.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone else going to EW?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I haven't played in like 2 years, so I went out and updated a half dozen Legacy decks and will be playing this weekend. Is it wrong to play Colorless Eldrazi because I want to cast big dumb fatties, and loan out my infinitely more expensive and better 4-color Delver? Or do I just play Delver like a grownup and live vicariously through a friend dropping fatties? :bang:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

if by colorless eldrazi you mean the temple/eye/Sold Lands deck with chalice and all the artifact based disruption, that deck is extremely good and i'm not sure less well positioned than any of the viable delver flavors

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ville Valo posted:

I haven't played in like 2 years, so I went out and updated a half dozen Legacy decks and will be playing this weekend. Is it wrong to play Colorless Eldrazi because I want to cast big dumb fatties, and loan out my infinitely more expensive and better 4-color Delver? Or do I just play Delver like a grownup and live vicariously through a friend dropping fatties? :bang:

4c Delver is in a really bad place in the meta to be honest. The colorless eldrazi deck is super strong, as is the white splash for Thalias, Displacer, and whatnot. I've ever seen weirder poo poo, like splashing red for Flametongue Kavu, or playing Fleetwheel Cruisers as Reality Smashers 5-8.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

THE NEW SLASH PANTHER

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

4c Delver is in a really bad place in the meta to be honest. The colorless eldrazi deck is super strong, as is the white splash for Thalias, Displacer, and whatnot. I've ever seen weirder poo poo, like splashing red for Flametongue Kavu, or playing Fleetwheel Cruisers as Reality Smashers 5-8.

The only deck I would play in a legacy event is Belcher.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The only deck I would play in a legacy event is Belcher.

this, but The Mighty Quinn

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

THE NEW SLASH PANTHER

Turning all your Thalias and TKS into 5 power trampling attackers when they come into play is pretty cool.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

if by colorless eldrazi you mean the temple/eye/Sold Lands deck with chalice and all the artifact based disruption, that deck is extremely good and i'm not sure less well positioned than any of the viable delver flavors

That's the one I mean, without any wacky splashes. My other options are Elves, Dredge, Miracles or some variety of Show-and-or-Sneak, in addition to any Delver variant. Big dumb Eldrazi sounds like what I'll sling; thanks! :)

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

THE NEW SLASH PANTHER

I thought we were talking about Legacy, not Vintage!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I used to play a lot of modern, but my decks were Pod and Twin; I kinda slowed down after the Pod ban, then stopped after they banned the latter. I've pretty much only been playing limited. However, I randomly entered a PPTQ (basically as a prerelease), and won it. The regional is modern, so it's probably time to get back in the format.
I could borrow cards to build pretty much anything day of the tournament, but the strong decks I could complete for ~<$40 and start practicing immediately with are Dredge and Naya Burn (Jeskai or Scapeshift also wouldn't be too bad).
Any thoughts? Leaning a bit towards dredge because it seems to have the highest power level and I'm somewhat familiar with it, but I'm open to suggestions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think there are Pod-like decks in Modern running Collected Company, if you want another alternative and liked Pod. I don't know how similar they are to the old Pod lists though.

Dredge is strong but be prepared to see quite a bit of hate, even maindeck (some Jund/Junk decks have taken to running stuff like Nihil Spellbomb maindeck to also help their Grim Flayers, for example). If you're familiar with the deck though, you might be able to play around the hate. When in doubt, go with the deck with which you feel most comfortable.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lhet posted:

Any thoughts? Leaning a bit towards dredge because it seems to have the highest power level and I'm somewhat familiar with it, but I'm open to suggestions.

Any idea on the meta game in your area? I like & play dredge but I feel people might be expecting it to be a popular pick with cathartic reunion coming out and bringing appropriate sideboard hate. That being said I think the deck still has legs if you can fight through the hate (or at least feel comfortable with playing against it) or dodge it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I thought I'd never see the day where I would want to play Tron in Modern because I want to play with Sundering Titan and make people very angry with me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Star Man posted:

I thought I'd never see the day where I would want to play Tron in Modern because I want to play with Sundering Titan and make people very angry with me.

Fair warning: this is a meta where losing the coinflip means you can have Tron + Karn in your opening hand and still die before casting him.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Voyager I posted:

Fair warning: this is a meta where losing the coinflip means you can have Tron + Karn in your opening hand and still die before casting him.

Yeah, I know. Right now I play a gimped version of Skred Red because that's all I can afford (though I will have my Blood Moons on Friday).

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ville Valo posted:

That's the one I mean, without any wacky splashes. My other options are Elves, Dredge, Miracles or some variety of Show-and-or-Sneak, in addition to any Delver variant. Big dumb Eldrazi sounds like what I'll sling; thanks! :)

75-card elfball lands. That's what I'd be playing if I could make it to the event.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
When does Colorless Eldrazi bring in Oblivion Sower out of the sideboard? It's obviously great in the mirror - where else? Lands? Miracles?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Dehtraen posted:

Any idea on the meta game in your area? I like & play dredge but I feel people might be expecting it to be a popular pick with cathartic reunion coming out and bringing appropriate sideboard hate. That being said I think the deck still has legs if you can fight through the hate (or at least feel comfortable with playing against it) or dodge it.

According to a friend, possibly a little bit more Abzan company and D&T than average, but normal stuff other than that. (infect, affinity, burn, abzan, etc.)
Apparently not too much dredge, so definitely leaning towards it a bit, but will also be sure to practice up on another deck if I start seeing a lot of GY hate in local tournaments before then.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

When does Colorless Eldrazi bring in Oblivion Sower out of the sideboard? It's obviously great in the mirror - where else? Lands? Miracles?

seems great in any matchup where the card Life from the Loam might be cast

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just realized I'm ~$30 worth of cards away from a baseline BW Tokens build (no Bitterblossom, Auriok Champion, or Gideon). Worth filling out just to have in my back pocket, or is it not even tier 2 anymore?

E: And if you're playing it, feel free to post a list so I can see if I actually am that close.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 9, 2016

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

C-Euro posted:

Just realized I'm ~$30 worth of cards away from a baseline BW Tokens build (no Bitterblossom, Auriok Champion, or Gideon). Worth filling out just to have in my back pocket, or is it not even tier 2 anymore?
I think it's the deck I've played the most in organized Modern and it's always been competitive. I'd guess my record is over 50/50 with it. Looking at the top decks on Goldfish, I'd guess the match-ups it has are:
Affinity - medium to good
Burn - medium
Infect - medium to good
Eldrazi - no idea, probably bad
Jund - good
Abzan - medium to bad?
Dredge - probably bad
Scapeshift - medium to bad

I mean the main thing is that it is never abysmal in almost any match, except Tron.

I also have never run Bitterblossom or Auriok Champion in any of my builds, and I haven't really got out to any events since I would have theoretically added Gideon because I was on Elves more recently.

EDIT: This looks like the last time I edited it to print a decklist, I bet you even have this copied from me on Deckbox, says I lasted updated in January 2016.

1 Caves of Koilos
3 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
4 Godless Shrine
2 Isolated Chapel
4 Marsh Flats
5 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Vault of the Archangel
2 Dismember
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Lingering Souls
1 Murderous Cut
4 Path to Exile
4 Raise the Alarm
2 Secure the Wastes
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Spectral Procession
3 Thoughtseize
1 Worship
2 Zealous Persecution

Sideboard:
2 Disenchant
3 Duress
2 Kor Firewalker
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Timely Reinforcements
2 Wrath of God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I went 3-1 at FNM Modern last night with Skred Red. I am using this list with some small changes: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-skred-red-27427#paper

Deck: Skred Red

//Lands
2 Scrying Sheets
20 Snow-Covered Mountain

//Spells
1 Batterskull
3 Blood Moon
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Koth of the Hammer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mind Stone
3 Pyroclasm
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Roast
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
4 Skred
1 Sword of War and Peace
3 Volcanic Fallout

//Creatures
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Wurmcoil Engine

//Sideboard
1 Boil
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Gut Shot
2 Molten Rain
2 Reality Hemorrhage
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Sudden Shock
1 Torpor Orb
2 Vandalblast

Display deck statistics

The changes that I made were that I used two copies of Molten Rain instead of just one and one Stone Rain and two copies of Vandalblast because I didn't want to drop five dollars on a Tenth Edition Shatterstorm last night (black borders or bust). I won into ten dollars of store credit, so I used it to get two copies of Shattering Spree and swapped out Vandalblast for them.

My matchups were:

0-2 RW Burn: My opponent had Skullcrack or Flames of the Bloodhand ready when I had Wurmcoil Engine or Batterskull out to prevent me from gaining life to stabilize. It was about as fun as you think.

2-1 Jund Burn: I conceded the first game with only two life left because my twelve-year-old opponent made it known to me that his last card was Searing Blaze, so playing Wurmcoil Engine to stabilize would have been pointless. In game two, we both had two copies of Dragon's Claw in play and my very young opponent would keep playing burn spells even though they'd do little damage to me in the end. There was a point where our life totals were something like 9-40 when I finally had Pia and Kiran Nalaar down and a thopter token carrying Sword of War and Peace to stabilze and win the game. Koth also came in and helped while I was pushing through damage. Game three went about the same.

2-0 Naya Zoo: My opponent began the game with an Experiment One and a Tarmogoyf with only a single card type in our graveyards. The Tarmogoyfs multiplied, but a timely Relic of Progenitus kept them from finishing me off and a Pyroclasm erased my opponent's board, clearing the way for a thopter token and an attached Sword of War and Peace to win the game. In game two, Stony Silence hindered my mana acceleration with Mind Stone and I was tapped out when an Ancient Grudge destroyed my Relic of Progenitus, but I was able to stabilize with Wurmcoil Engine and go over the top with Batterskull to win.

2-0 Death and Taxes: Game one was won with the help of Chandra sniping one-toughness creatures like Thalia, Aven Mindcensor, and Flickerwisp. I never used her zero ability to draw cards because it was more important that I pick off creatures in order to keep Koth's loyalty up. In game two, my opponent had a turn zero Leyline of Sanctity, but in all four rounds of the event, I think I only ever used a Lightning Bolt to deal damage to a player once. It's just a creature killer in this deck. Sarkhan did work until he was removed with Path to Exile and Batterskull followed him to win the game. I held on to Vandalblast until I had the mana for the overload cost so I could erase both Aether Vials in play, but when I had the mana to do it, it was also more important to me to play anything else because I couldn't commit five mana to destroy both Vials. I just sat there wishing it was a Shattering Spree instead.

From orbiting the tables and seeing what other people play at my location, burn decks and both versions of Tron are popular. There is also Grixis, Bant Eldrazi, Merfolk, Red Affinity, and Hatebears running around. This was my second night with Skred Red. Last week I had to use Crumble to Dust in place of Blood Moon because I had finally had the money for them and ordered them on TCGPlayer that day and went 2-3. My only wins were against a budget Mardu Tokens deck and the Saheeli Rai/Liquimetal Coating combo deck. Against creature-based decks, I seem to do okay because my cheaper spells are all made to eliminate single creatures with Lightning Bolt and Skred or wipe them all out with Pyroclasm and Volcanic Fallout while I try to get Blood Moon out to deny mana and win with a planeswalker or big creature. But in my match against Merfolk last week, keeping up against the litany of cheap lords created with Aether Vial is tough and made worse when my opponent just so happens to have both copies or Master of Waves.

I can snipe creatures in Burn decks, but if I can't get Wurmcoil Engine or Batterskull in time, them I'm finished. I don't know how aggressively I should mulligan to find a Dragon's Claw and two lands to play it in that match.

And against the other decks I mentioned, I'm not completely sure of what to do beyond hope I get a Blood Moon and win with Koth or a dragon. Blood Moon always amazes me in just how much damage it can do to a deck and Modern loves its greedy manabases when the closest thing to Wasteland in the format only works if the player has four or more lands. A lot of decks just don't respect it, but I know that I shouldn't rely on Blood Moon to save me. I have the cards now to try a more creature-oriented version of Skred and I have considered trying this list that was on Channel Fireball. Changes to it that I have in mind are using Stormbreath Dragon over Demigod of Revenge and substituting Obsidian Fireheart with Wurmcoil Engine and Batterskull.