Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Konstantin posted:

I'd do some more specific research. Do people who have the specifc positions you want typically have a JD? If so, do they typically follow your career path, or do they have experience as a practicing lawyer? Is school prestige a factor in getting those jobs? It's rarely a good idea to get a JD if you don't want to be a lawyer, I'd consider something like a MLS with a focus in law librarianship.

I think they know the answers to these questions already and it is a major factor in their desire for a JD.

I've also always been under the impression that law librarians usually have JDs, and usually do not practice law for a while first (or don't have to, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Law librarians *at law schools* typically have JDs.

Elsewhere not so much.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I used to be able to handwrite a list of open work to motivate myself and keep on task.

Now, about one year in at my firm, I get to #15 or so on the list and start panicking as I remember more and more things that also need to get done.

Go to law school.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MoFauxHawk posted:

I've also always been under the impression that law librarians usually have JDs, and usually do not practice law for a while first (or don't have to, at least).

It depends. One of my classmates took a job at a law school library with a JD, but she also had an MA in library science. Now that I think about it, the law librarian at our school also had a JD.

Now, law librarians at biglaw (not that that isn't a dying position) seem to be more on the MLS side the house with no JD.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also good librarians are gods gifts to an undeserving industry.

I have had my rear end saved more than once by one.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

I'd do some more specific research. Do people who have the specifc positions you want typically have a JD? If so, do they typically follow your career path, or do they have experience as a practicing lawyer? Is school prestige a factor in getting those jobs? It's rarely a good idea to get a JD if you don't want to be a lawyer, I'd consider something like a MLS with a focus in law librarianship.

I already have an MLS, though I didn't do any significant focus on legal bibliography. I've been working at the same law library since I was a freshman student worker and have gotten promotions at just the right time (most recently, my boss immediate retired the month I got my MLS).

Law librarianship wasn't my plan at the time, but I've been doing legal reference and teaching research to 1Ls for a couple years now, and I've definitely come to enjoy the structure of the law. And I've spent enough time in both my school and professional organizations that I feel I could happily stay in the field. Not to mention that a JD might get me out of the dead end pigeonhole of government documents.

But I definitely would do well to find some more specific guidance about how JDs do in this field vs MLS only.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

There are also State and County run law libraries, just fyi.

I'm interested in what a law librarian at a big firm actually does. Anyone have insight?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm interested in what a law librarian at a big firm actually does. Anyone have insight?
I might have missed a task or two but: keep track of the accounts and subscriptions for all resources, update books with pocket parts and replacement volumes, coordinate inter library loans (other offices or local libraries) and pull copies of requested materials (usually something where the office only has a single subscription).

A big law office law library is almost as big as my law school's.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

There are also State and County run law libraries, just fyi.

Oversee what's left of the print library, manage the firm's subscriptions to online resources, and if they're lucky engage in KM project management. The KM part depends on whether the firm is motivated to do KM, which they should. Your librarian position is much safer if you get to do KM.

My boss has an MLS and no JD. I have a JD and no MLS. Ask me anything.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Kitchen management?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ask me anything.

How about, "Whats the point, when you have Lexis and Westlaw?"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Our firm has marshaled every available legal resource to ensure that your case is handled in the most effective way possible. Our attorneys had the best grades at the best law schools and also some of them wore little white yarmulkes on their graduation tams. We have thousands of very thick books, many with very detailed and precise indexes, and we employ a crack team of dedicated, expert staff ready to update the pocket parts in those books as soon as those pocket parts come in. No exceptions.

That's what sets our firm apart.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

This. As dead and gay as being a lawyer is, electronic legal resources beat the gently caress out of grabbing a book.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
As a follow-up question, do you think there's enough time to prep for the December 3rd LSAT? I've been told that taking it in February is a negative in the application. Given that the registration for the December LSAT is in a couple weeks, I need to make a decision pretty soon.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 5, 2016

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

I might have missed a task or two but: keep track of the accounts and subscriptions for all resources, update books with pocket parts and replacement volumes, coordinate inter library loans (other offices or local libraries) and pull copies of requested materials (usually something where the office only has a single subscription).

A big law office law library is almost as big as my law school's.

Ours will also perform some non-legal research (e.g., finding corporate information, getting data broker records on an individual we wish to subpoena, pulling dictionaries if we need a dictionary definition from a given timeframe, etc.)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mr. Nice! posted:

This. As dead and gay as being a lawyer is, electronic legal resources beat the gently caress out of grabbing a book.

We have some very good librarians who can point out where to find a source, where to start, etc. which is massively more useful than searching on your own. If, e.g. a client comes in with a question regarding Ohio blue sky laws and how they apply to commodities, nobody at a high-level doing NYC securities reg is going to know, since it's not what they do day-to-day. A good librarian, though they won't necessarily know the substance of the law, will know how best (and most cheaply) to find out, what resources to consult, etc. and that sort of institutional/skill knowledge is incredibly helpful. It doesn't matter if the answer is in a book versus on Lexis when you don't even know the right question to ask to get it to pop up.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

As a follow-up question, do you think there's enough time to prep for the December 3rd LSAT? I've been told that taking it in February is a negative in the application. Given that the registration for the December LSAT is in a couple weeks, I need to make a decision pretty soon.

LSAT scores improve dramatically with practice. What was your last full practice score and are you happy with it? Will you have time to practice before 3 December?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

JohnCompany posted:

We have some very good librarians who can point out where to find a source, where to start, etc. which is massively more useful than searching on your own. If, e.g. a client comes in with a question regarding Ohio blue sky laws and how they apply to commodities, nobody at a high-level doing NYC securities reg is going to know, since it's not what they do day-to-day. A good librarian, though they won't necessarily know the substance of the law, will know how best (and most cheaply) to find out, what resources to consult, etc. and that sort of institutional/skill knowledge is incredibly helpful. It doesn't matter if the answer is in a book versus on Lexis when you don't even know the right question to ask to get it to pop up.

So its more of a researcher for people who forgot how to look up their own answers? I thought that's what junior associates were for.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kalman posted:

Ours will also perform some non-legal research (e.g., finding corporate information, getting data broker records on an individual we wish to subpoena, pulling dictionaries if we need a dictionary definition from a given timeframe, etc.)
That too; forgot those items.

WrenP-Complete posted:

LSAT scores improve dramatically with practice. What was your last full practice score and are you happy with it? Will you have time to practice before 3 December?
I wouldn't say dramatically - even say Princeton Review only expects around 10 points improvements over taking their course and 6 different practice tests.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

ulmont posted:

I wouldn't say dramatically - even say Princeton Review only expects around 10 points improvements over taking their course and 6 different practice tests.

I used to teach for Kaplan. A 10 point difference can be the difference between an average score and in the 80th percentile, no? It depends on where the applicant wants to go. But it is true that it's not only practice that helps, some of that is learning techniques and strategy. And all that material is available for free, the courses are good and important for some learners and not for others.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Buy some of the prep books and self direct your study. if you can't get 170+ after 2 months of practice tests, don't go to law school.

don't go to law school anyways really but

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

Ten points is an enormous deal.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Buy some of the prep books and self direct your study. if you can't get 175+ after 2 months of practice tests, don't go to law school.

don't go to law school anyways really but

fixed that

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Did we talk about this when it came out? I don't remember. Either way it's purestrain sovcit.

http://res.cloudinary.com/bdy4ger4/image/upload/v1469756334/Notice_of_Jurisdiction_zgyafd.pdf?t=072821

http://res.cloudinary.com/bdy4ger4/image/upload/v1469756326/Bundy_notice_of_compensation_toc71x.pdf?t=459795

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did we talk about this when it came out? I don't remember. Either way it's purestrain sovcit.

http://res.cloudinary.com/bdy4ger4/image/upload/v1469756334/Notice_of_Jurisdiction_zgyafd.pdf?t=072821

Second paragraph of the last page is certainly correct.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

WrenP-Complete posted:

Whoops, haven't taken a practice LSAT before. I'm starting prep today and I'll see how I'm doing just before the registration deadline. Also, my director said I should talk to the admissions director about all these factors, so I guess that will help answer a few questions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 13, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

I graduated from a T3. I passed the Tennessee bar. All I have to show for those three years is a diploma and a pile of debt.

I now write internal software for the federal government.

When I say get out, I mean it. Every year more of my former classmates walk away from legal careers because the work sucks and makes everyone involved miserable.

At least the other goon from my class was smart enough to marry a med student. He's a stay at home dad now.

Which branch/agency, if you don't mind me asking?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Mr. Nice! posted:

So its more of a researcher for people who forgot how to look up their own answers? I thought that's what junior associates were for.
They also have access to resources that you can't give to every lawyer - e.g., if I want a prospectus for a private deal, I can't get it myself, but anyone with a bloomberg terminal (like our library) can pull it for me in 5 seconds. It would be crazy to give every lawyer a bloomberg terminal but it's nice to have one or two that we can use if we need.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Whoops, haven't taken a practice LSAT before. I'm starting prep today and I'll see how I'm doing just before the registration deadline. Also, my director said I should talk to the admissions director about all these factors, so I guess that will help answer a few questions.

Two months is plenty of time to get there with self directed study. You need to take real, prior tests under simulated conditions. You can order old lsats from LSAC I believe. I'd buy the last ten and take one each Saturday morning until exam time.

If you're not scoring 170+ on real tests come late November, then I'd postpone the December test to February or June.

I don't think schools actually care when you take the test, because they just want that score for USNWR.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

You can also just retake it without any real penalty, other than time and cost. They use your best score.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Holy poo poo, I was a 1L 10 years ago. Fuuuuck.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
Did Cooley stop doing their own hilarious rankings? I tried to show them to my buddy who didn't believe that those existed, and it turns out that they may no longer exist. Their cooking of the books was such a wonderful source of annual comedy.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Today I got placed on a jury. I am a lawyer. Granted, a transactional lawyer, but a lawyer nonetheless. Isn't this not supposed to happen?

All my litigator friends think this is insane and told me that typically lawyers are the first jurors to go.

Now I'm starting off the fiscal year with a huge billable hour deficit so I have to stress out for the next 11 months trying to catch up. Biglaw firms are just great that way.

Don't go to law school; it won't even get you out of jury duty.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

sullat posted:

Which branch/agency, if you don't mind me asking?

IRS.

Boof Bonser posted:

Did Cooley stop doing their own hilarious rankings? I tried to show them to my buddy who didn't believe that those existed, and it turns out that they may no longer exist. Their cooking of the books was such a wonderful source of annual comedy.

During my very brief legal career, I did doc review with a Cooley grad. He would always say "I went to this school called Cooley" and explain how they did things.

Mandatory attendance, suit and tie required, and if you didn't have the assigned cases briefed on paper, you weren't getting credit for that day.

I would have failed out in 2 weeks.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 7, 2016

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

RFX posted:

Today I got placed on a jury.

How did you screw up so badly? You must have forgot the magic words, "I think all cops are liars."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Are you following the prosecution thread? I know they were brought up over there.

It is a very interesting case to follow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RFX posted:

Today I got placed on a jury. I am a lawyer. Granted, a transactional lawyer, but a lawyer nonetheless.

Lmao how the gently caress is this even a thing?

Like seriously.

Afaik, in Australia, i'm on some sort of magic "Is a lawyer, do not summon" list somewhere.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
What questions did they ask? I had jury duty two weeks ago and lasted about two questions before they dismissed me for cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I keep lawyers on my panel because my cases are all science/reason versus emotion and lawyers are better at....

Strike everyone.