Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NewMars posted:

Hey now, there's no need for such insinuations. It's just that I am rather looking for a game where a single combat doesn't take all day, without making everything else take proportionally longer with such things as attribute based xp adjustment and having an individual table-based mechanic for every single mechanical foible.

The Black Hack would work. It's very very much the hot thing right now but it's also just a really stripped down simple OSR game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

The Black Hack would work. It's very very much the hot thing right now but it's also just a really stripped down simple OSR game.

Yeah that may be a bit too stripped down, even. Is there anything SWN-ish for dungeons and dragons fantasy? I mean, I am aware of spears of the dawn and do love it, but the other players at my table have problems with the setting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Can't you just port Spears of the Dawn to, I dunno, Crawford's Red Tide or something? I haven't read Spears so I dunno how tied it is to its setting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You could just use Labyrinth Lord with Red Tide then.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Another thing you could try is Beyond the Wall. The elves are a free supplement.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I'm pretty sure there's quite a few, although there is a good reason for different classes having different XP requirements, makes it easier to balance them, of the core four Magic-Users level the slowest, while Thieves level the fastest, although it gets a little weird as sometimes Clerics end up leveling faster than Fighters do

With regards to clerics levelling faster than than fighters, that does make a little sense in Moldvay Basic and in 0D&D - in those editions, the Cleric doesn't have any spells at first level, so if they're against anything other than undead, they're just fighters with a more limited weapon selection.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This discussion got me thinking about how to implement modern-style "no XP tracking, level when you want" or "milestone leveling" in old-school D&D, where telling everyone that they level-up now technically breaks the game because you're skipping over "uneven leveling" as a balancing mechanic.

The idea that came to me was: whenever you reach a milestone (whatever that definition would be, up to and including "we just played a session"), award everyone an amount of XP that makes at least one person level-up, whoever is closest to that point.

So assuming you have a party of a Fighter, Thief, Cleric and Magic-User each, that would be (and I'm using the AD&D 1e tables as a basis):

So, for example, at the end of session 1, you award everyone 1500 XP each, which gets the Thief and the Cleric up to level 2, but the Fighter and the MU are still at level 1.

At the end of session 2, you award everyone 1000 XP each, which brings them to 2500, which gets the Thief to level 3 and the MU to level 2, but the Cleric and the Fighter are still at level 2.

And so on.

Or don't even think about XP at all, and just keep in mind the order in which people are supposed to gain levels.

This is a list that is 43 entries long, so even if you did something as simplistic as "at the end of every session, at least one person earns a new level", you'd still have enough game to last you almost a year's worth of weekly sessions.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

This discussion got me thinking about how to implement modern-style "no XP tracking, level when you want" or "milestone leveling" in old-school D&D, where telling everyone that they level-up now technically breaks the game because you're skipping over "uneven leveling" as a balancing mechanic.

The idea that came to me was: whenever you reach a milestone (whatever that definition would be, up to and including "we just played a session"), award everyone an amount of XP that makes at least one person level-up, whoever is closest to that point.

So assuming you have a party of a Fighter, Thief, Cleric and Magic-User each, that would be (and I'm using the AD&D 1e tables as a basis):

So, for example, at the end of session 1, you award everyone 1500 XP each, which gets the Thief and the Cleric up to level 2, but the Fighter and the MU are still at level 1.

At the end of session 2, you award everyone 1000 XP each, which brings them to 2500, which gets the Thief to level 3 and the MU to level 2, but the Cleric and the Fighter are still at level 2.

And so on.

Or don't even think about XP at all, and just keep in mind the order in which people are supposed to gain levels.

This is a list that is 43 entries long, so even if you did something as simplistic as "at the end of every session, at least one person earns a new level", you'd still have enough game to last you almost a year's worth of weekly sessions.

This is pretty close to how it works out anyway, even if you track the fiddly math. If its a "really big event" maybe jump a couple steps at a time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Can you upload the spreadsheet for that, gradeneko? Seems like it might be useful since you have it set to sort.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Can you upload the spreadsheet for that, gradeneko? Seems like it might be useful since you have it set to sort.

Here you go:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eApes7mLpCIV4Hac6Yy18fMqmhX5osokPyLkAzXgTLE/edit?usp=sharing

There's a lot of different combinations, so if there's a specific game or supplement combination (OD&D + Greyhawk) that you'd like for me to cover and make a chart for, just ask.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Four Hollow World products were put up today:
HWA1 Nightwail (Basic)
HWA2 Nightrage (Basic)
HWR1 Sons of Azca (Basic)
HWR3 The Milenian Empire (Basic)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Frog God Games is kickstarting a third reprint of Swords & Wizardry, this time edited by ConTessa founder Stacy Dellorfano and the team she's picked. The rules aren't changing, but it looks a lot more pleasant to the eyes.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

LashLightning posted:

but it looks a lot more pleasant to the eyes.

They dumped the Erol Otus art. :negative:

(not gonna lie, the art looks great...but I love me that EO)

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 5, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LashLightning posted:

Frog God Games is kickstarting a third reprint of Swords & Wizardry, this time edited by ConTessa founder Stacy Dellorfano and the team she's picked. The rules aren't changing, but it looks a lot more pleasant to the eyes.

That art looks amazing. Backed.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is a pretty blatant Marvel comics' Man-Thing among the art shown there. True to the spirit of the old booklets to be sure, but a possible issue for the same reasons it was back then.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
That looks seriously amazing. I already have more retroclones than I'll ever have time to play, but just looking at the art makes me want to back the poo poo out of that. Hell, I could just keep it around as an illustration booklet to show my players what they're up against when fighting D&D monsters.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So, uh, what's the difference between this and the various Basiclones?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Siivola posted:

So, uh, what's the difference between this and the various Basiclones?

Swords and Wizardry "White Box" is a retroclone of OD&D with just the three original booklets.

Swords and Wizardry "Complete Rules" (which is the kickstarter in question) is a retroclone of OD&D with all of the supplements (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc.) so that you also have Assassins, Monks, Druids, Rangers, etc.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...But why male models what's the difference? :shobon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Siivola posted:

...But why male models what's the difference? :shobon:

The difference against which game/which set of rules?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The actual ingame difference between Original and Basic flavours. Mentzer Basic, if that makes a difference.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Siivola posted:

The actual ingame difference between Original and Basic flavours. Mentzer Basic, if that makes a difference.

Mentzer Basic has Fighter, Magic-User, Cleric, and Thief as classes, and then Dwarf, Elf and Halfling as race-as-classes

Swords and Wizardry Complete has Assassin, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Magic-User, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Thief as classes, and then races are separate from classes: Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, and Human.

Swords and Wizardry Complete also has rules support for multi-classing.

Swords and Wizardry Complete breaks from a lot of old-school D&D tradition and only includes a single saving throw number, and then instead certain classes have bonuses to saving throws for specific categories. So a level 1 Cleric has a target of 15 for all saving throws, except they get a +2 when it's against paralysis or poison.

Ability scores are also different: whereas Basic D&D uses 13 to 15 = +1, 16 to 17 = +2, 18 = +3, Swords and Wizardry has a much more toned-down scope, where you mostly only have a +1 if you have a 13 or better (which is why 3d6-in-order still works for OD&D).

Swords and Wizardry also has full support for an ascending AC system, and attempts to create an "Encounter Level" system for monsters so that you can have an idea of what to populate a dungeon with that's at least in the ballpark of fair.

Another big change, and one that I personally have trouble working with, is their treasure generation algorithm that converts a monster's XP into a GP value, and then allows you to roll magic items if you exceed certain thresholds of GP. This is ostensibly to make things more fair and more logically-progressing, but I find it a bit tedious.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cheers. Turns out the Complete edition's pdf is free on Drivethru right now, so I'll have to give it a look-see.

Edit: Let me just say that two columns of tiny text and no margins is a layout that can go die on a fire.

Edit: Same goes for indenting paragraphs instead of separating them with an empty line. :argh:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 5, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I really liked the Erol Otus cover but the interior art on this printing looks killer. Backed!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Backed that 3rd printing kickstarter. I've been waiting for it to come out for a while, since I wanted to get a print copy of S&W and I like the cover a lot better.

It's really funny how angry it's making a certain set of grogs. I've read several comments about how people are totally going to get the new PDF when that's out and print it on Lulu with the old cover.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Pissing off deplorables alone is well worth the price of admission.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pissing off deplorables alone is well worth the price of admission.

"more like Swords & Misandry, AMIRITE??" :smuggo:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Siivola posted:

There's a decent summary here

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Just for the record, I'd like to thank gradenko_2000 for his really awesome posts into the differences between various editions of D&D. I think you should make a single megapost to compile all of the stuff you've posted (including the history of critical hits, spell resistance and so on) because yours posts are always really insightful. Hell, that post about spell resistance was completely new information to me: I'd always assumed that spell resistance was simply a flat percentage that spells fail when cast on the target, but the fact that in AD&D 1e it was actually a chance for spells cast by an 11th-level spellcaster to fail was news to me.

Keep doing what you're doing, I always love reading your posts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

St0rmD posted:

There's a decent summary here
Oh, cheers, thats handy.

Ratpick posted:

Keep doing what you're doing, I always love reading your posts.
drat right!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you, guys :shobon: It's just something I apparently have a knack for tracking down, and modern PDFs make it easy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People were talking about the Contingency spell in the TG industry thread. My interest was piqued, so I started digging, but I moved it here because it'd be rather off-topic.

Anyway:

Contingency isn't in OD&D Men and Magic, which only goes up to level 6 spells

Greyhawk expands the spell selection and the level range to level 9 spells (Magic-Users earn their first level 9 spell slot at character level 18), but no Contingency.

Contingency still isn't in the AD&D 1st Edition PHB/DMG either, and the 1981 David Cook version of the Expert Set (as a continuation of Tom Moldvay's Basic Set) only goes up to spell level 6.

We get to 1984, and Frank Mentzer's Basic Set has now been expanded up to Set 3: Companion Rules. This has rules for a Magic User to up to level 25, and they learn their first 9th-level spell at character level 21, but there are only four 9th-level spells: Gate, Maze, Meteor Swarm, and Power Word Kill

So we go up one more year, to 1985, and both AD&D's Unearthed Arcana, and Set 4: Master Rules finally have Contingency as a 9th-level spell.

But I know that Unearthed Arcana was actually just a compilation of stuff that Gygax had already written about before, so on a hunch, I start checking Dragon Magazines, and I find it in Dragon #68, from December 1982. It turns out that the spell was actually the overall winner of a "5th Invitational AD&D Masters Tournament", and the creation of the spell is credited to one David Waksman.

This is the statblock from that Dragon Magazine article:

quote:

Contingency (Evocation)

Level: 6 Components: V, S, M
Range: 0 Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: 1 day/level Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: The magic-user

Explanation/Description: By means of this spell, the magic-user is able to place another spell upon his or her person so that the latter spell will come into effect upon occurrence of the situation dictated during the casting of the contingency spell, The contingency spell and the spell it is to bring into effect — the “companion spell” — are, in effect, cast at the same time (the 1 turn casting time indicated above is a total for both castings). The spell to be brought into effect by the prescribed must be one which affects the magic-user’s person (feather fall, levitation, fly, statue, feign death, etc.) and is of a level no higher than one-third of the experience level of the caster, rounded down: a 4th level “companion spell” maximum at 12th, 13th or 14th level of experience; a 5th level maximum at 15th, 16th, or 17th level of experience, and so forth.

The situation prescribed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although it can be rather general. For example, a contingency cast with an airy water “companion spell” might prescribe that any time the magic-user is plunged into or otherwise engulfed in water or similar liquid, the airy water spell will instantly come into effect. Likewise, the contingency could bring a feather fall into effect anytime the magic-user falls over 2’ distance. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the second spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. Note that complex, complicated, and/or convoluted prescribed conditions for effecting the play of the dweomer are likely to cause the whole spell complex (the contingency spell and the companion magic) to simply fail when called upon.

The material components of this spell are (in addition to those of the companion spell) 100 gold pieces worth of quicksilver; an elephant ivory statuette of the magic-user; and an eyelash of an ogre magi, ki-rin, or similar spell-using creature. Note that the ivory statuette is not destroyed by the spell casting (although it might be subject to wear and tear), and it must be carried on the person of the spell caster for the contingency spell to perform its function when called upon.

The Unearthed Arcana version is the same, word-for-word.

Now, without choking this post with at least three more statblocks, believe me when I say that the AD&D 2nd Edition, D&D 3rd Edition, and D&D 5th Edition editions are pretty much all the same, right down to the phrase "must be clear, although it can be rather general" and using waterbreathing and feather-falling as examples.

It is, again, the BECMI version that is interesting:

quote:

Contingency

Range: Touch
Duration: Indefinite (see below)
Effect: Prepares one other spell

This powerful spell acts as a trigger for one stated magic-user spell of 4th level or less that does not normally cause damage. While casting a contingency spell, the magic-user must describe one situation. When that situation next occurs, the second spell effect stated appears automatically and immediately, as if cast at that time.

Examples of proper use:

“When I am touched or struck by any living creature that is not a Lawful or Neutral cleric, except for my friends Charlie McGonigle and Sally Silvernose (contingency), then charm monster on the creature touching or striking me (spell effect).”

“When I have eight hit points or less and am in a dungeon about to be damaged (contingency), then dimension door on myself to a destination 1 inch above ground level directly upward or, if that is greater than 360 feet away, to the farthest unoccupied area within range that I have seen within the 12 hour period prior to the existence of this contingency (spell effect).”

Any item or creature can have one contingency spell at most; not even a wish can allow multiple applications. The contingency described can be as detailed or as simple as desired, but is somewhat limited in effect: it must relate to something within 120 feet of the trigger occurrence. A contingency based on a far-off occurrence is beyond the spell’s capacity. The target and effect of the secondary spell must always be specified, and if any needed details are lacking, the secondary spell does not occur.

A contingency spell effect has no maximum duration. It may remain for centuries before the situation described comes to pass.

The Rules Cyclopedia version is the same, word-for-word.

The first big difference is that there's a specified range on the trigger, but at the same time this Contingency has an indefinite duration for the trigger to go off.

The second big difference is the inclusion of examples of use. Fuckin' mind-blowing to tell players how to word a Contingency result for maximum usefulness, right?

The second example even shows how you should say it to avoid this problem:

Kwyndig posted:

Contingency was such a poo poo spell, either your DM let you get away with janky nonsense with it, or it was worthless, and there were basically no guidelines on what it couldn't do or how it worked. Did it interrupt other people's actions? Could it metagame? Who knows! It just says to specify a condition when the second spell goes off and it has to target you. If I tell it to cast teleport to my house when something breaks my skin, and you hit me with the scythe, how much damage do I take? Neither SRD is clear on what happens in this instance because the spell doesn't specify if this counts as an action, and what kind.

By specifying that the trigger is "when I am about to be hit", rather than "when I am hit", then you avoid all of the problems of simultaneous execution: the Dimension Door goes off before the Magic-User is touched, and they take no damage.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000, D&D archaeologist.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I had S&W Complete (the Spanish translation! :v:) printed and ring-bound but drat if I don't want that new reprint. The ~*misandry*~ is just icing on the cake.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the Swords & Misandry thing was just a joke making fun of how people might react, but are people really throwing a fit over the new art not having enough dudes in it?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ratpick posted:

I thought the Swords & Misandry thing was just a joke making fun of how people might react, but are people really throwing a fit over the new art not having enough dudes in it?

I'm not going to go hunt through forums or anything but you can just look at the comments here: http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2016/10/kickstarter-swords-wizardry-complete.html#comment-form

Having an explicit mission statement of trying to move beyond nostalgic appeal isn't going over well with some people, before you get into the whole all-female art design team

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 7, 2016

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm not going to go hunt through forums or anything but you can just look at the comments here: http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2016/10/kickstarter-swords-wizardry-complete.html#comment-form

Having an explicit mission statement of trying to move beyond nostalgic appeal isn't going over well with some people, before you get into the whole all-female art design team

Yeah, I'm seeing a few people complaining about the mission statement, but for the most part it seems there's a lukewarm reception towards the cover (which I personally think is okay, but I'm mostly drawn into this by the interior art). But yeah, even though the comments section over on that blog seemed mostly restrained I'm sure somewhere on the internet someone is really mad about this.

Anyway, I'm going to have to check out the shipping prices for this thing since I live in Europe, but having read their mission statement I really want to back and signal boost this thing.

E: Nah, you know what, I don't want to turn this into a discussion of what angry dudes on the internet think about the art and the mission statement, it looks cool as hell and I'm backing it

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 7, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This new printing looks awesome, and anyone who makes an honest attempt in moving "the OSR" away from the toxic, hateful manchildren that tend to inhabit it deserves to have piles of cash thrown at them. I'm backing the hell out of this. :dance:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It probably doesn't help that tankar and the project manager Stacey have a big beef with each other as to comments in tenkars tavern. I like the cover personally, and don't see why people are getting bent out of shape of it not having yet another adventure fighting a monster on it like every other game. I'm all for the mission of this edition, curious to see if they have any planned way to measure success for it. Stacey has done good work with Contessa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My Barrowmaze arrived today from the Kickstarter. This book is killer. I think it would take some effort to run with DCC but Swords and Wizardry should work just fine for it.

• Locked thread