Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

what even ARE you posted:

On a rare/oddball vehicle like that, what happens when a rock hits your windshield and you need a new one? Ebay?

Ebay from some Chinese vendor is probably the best bet. I know when I had my SVX it was the only realistic option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't think those Kei-trucks are street legal are they?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

1500quidporsche posted:

Ebay from some Chinese vendor is probably the best bet. I know when I had my SVX it was the only realistic option.

Can we have a smiley of an SVX owner with a cracked windshield with tears streaming down their face?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Can we have a smiley of an SVX owner with a cracked windshield with tears streaming down their face?

They already made one of those.

:smithicide:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are windshields for an SVX just simply not available in North America or are they just horrific?

I can't imagine shipping a big plate of glass like that across the ocean.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It wasn't available and the stock you could get in japan was only of a certain colour tint (Subaru colour tinted the top to match the interior). The stuff from China didn't include the moulding either so you were pretty much counting on the old one coming out intact.

There was rumours immediately after I sold mine that north america was getting more stock of windshields but given their outright hostility to acknowledging that car existed I don't think that could be true.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

1500quidporsche posted:

They already made one of those.

:smithicide:

:sympathy:

It'll be ok. Show me where on your transaxle the OEM touched you.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I'll tell you they're at least extremely uncomfortable. Any sort of comfort has been sacrificed to increase cargo space. The seat backs are less than 2 inches thick, even less for the pitiful head rest that stops you banging your head on the rear window as the truck jerks back and forth struggling to overcome its own gear shifts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

what even ARE you posted:

On a rare/oddball vehicle like that, what happens when a rock hits your windshield and you need a new one? Ebay?
For kei trucks/vans specifically parts are pretty easy to get. Since they made so many of them and they are commercial vehicles at their heart and they've been exported everywhere (besides the USA) there should not be a part you can't get. I have a 1990 Honda Acty and for all the parts I've ever needed I use a combo of jp-carparts.com and https://www.amayama.com/en to get what I need. For mine the oil filters are easy as Honda still uses them on Civics here in NA. I also ordered 4 Yokohama tires off of Amazon and the FedEx lady brought them to my front door in her arms in one go. 12 inch wheels means tiny tiny tires.

A MIRACLE posted:

It's a 1988 so (unless they imported it wrong) yes it is legal. NHTSA explains that as long as it is 25 years or older from date of manufacture it can be imported into the United States regardless of it's original market and be legal. I have a kei van that is registered, insured (through Progressive even) and legal that I daily drive. I get more attention than any vehicle (and I mean anything) from most people and I get the most confused looks from bro truck drivers and peacocking dudes in sports cars. Half the time they go 'woah awesome' because people usually can't help but smile when they see this little goofy van with 'Honda' on it. The other half of the time they get weirdly aggressive and angry. Just today my wife and I were driving back from a tile place and this guy in a 911 convertible got all weird and rev'd his engine and took off. I mean yeah guy I do understand that your sports car is indeed faster than my sub-40 hp van. It is also hyper practical too. Here is me parking in a spot even though the person in the accord parked like a jerk.

RillAkBea posted:

I'll tell you they're at least extremely uncomfortable. Any sort of comfort has been sacrificed to increase cargo space. The seat backs are less than 2 inches thick, even less for the pitiful head rest that stops you banging your head on the rear window as the truck jerks back and forth struggling to overcome its own gear shifts.

I mean I don't know what one you rode in but our other car is a 2013 Golf R and while the R is much more comfortable the Acty isn't bad at all. I can't speak for the back seats at all and I do know that mine is a 'Street G' which is an upmarket meant-for-passengers version of the baseline commercial variety but I am always really surprised by just how not-cheap-as-poo poo the thing is, including the comfort level of the front passengers. Heck I even have A/C that works reasonably well in the Florida summer heat assuming you don't have the sun blaring directly in the windshield because then you will most certainly die of heat stroke. :(

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 3, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want a kei van so badly. I mean, I already make do with the bad parkers with my beetle, but I think your wheelbase and width is actually smaller than my beetle :eyepop:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Hah, this really demonstrates how large "small" cars are these days. I would have never guessed that a Beetle was THAT much smaller than a new Fiat 500.

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs

Slim Pickens posted:

I don't know what the venn diagram overlap for "guys with a half million burning a hole in their pocket" and "Guys looking through craigslist for a car" are, but I still wanna offer them an Xbox 360 and $800 for it.

Park Place must carry a GTLM or GT3 series team, they were at the Petit LeMans last weekend. Saw this car there, it is stunning no doubt, but next to it was a Bentley Conti GT3 (droool).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

beep-beep car is go posted:

Hah, this really demonstrates how large "small" cars are these days. I would have never guessed that a Beetle was THAT much smaller than a new Fiat 500.
Small cars are just the best :unsmith: Sucks being 6' 7" sometimes (most times).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I mean I don't know what one you rode in but our other car is a 2013 Golf R and while the R is much more comfortable the Acty isn't bad at all. I can't speak for the back seats at all and I do know that mine is a 'Street G' which is an upmarket meant-for-passengers version of the baseline commercial variety but I am always really surprised by just how not-cheap-as-poo poo the thing is, including the comfort level of the front passengers. Heck I even have A/C that works reasonably well in the Florida summer heat assuming you don't have the sun blaring directly in the windshield because then you will most certainly die of heat stroke. :(

I think the vans are probably more comfortable than the flatbeds. I was riding something like this:

Those are the headrests I'm talking about. Regular passenger kei cars can definitely be some really nice cars though. The car my old job lent me however was a super base model Mira with no radio and the cheapest seats imaginable. More luggage space than my Miata though :smithicide: I once got a half size fridge in the back.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Heck I even have A/C that works reasonably well in the Florida summer heat

I didn't realize these had A/C. One of these would make an outstanding home-to-work-and-back vehicle - and the narrow track would mean no more needing to squeeze into my assigned spot...

where should I start looking for these? generally i'd buy a car in the states and have it shipped down, but since Customs considers us to be international i might just consider bringing one in from asia.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

buttcrackmenace posted:

I didn't realize these had A/C. One of these would make an outstanding home-to-work-and-back vehicle - and the narrow track would mean no more needing to squeeze into my assigned spot...

where should I start looking for these? generally i'd buy a car in the states and have it shipped down, but since Customs considers us to be international i might just consider bringing one in from asia.

Where are you at geographically? Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands or something that is still the US?
There are lots of places to search for yourself, two of them being https://www.tradecarview.com/ and http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/. Otherwise a lot of import services will import to any place in the US on your behalf, generally a lot of the outfits will have offices or some point of contact wherever you are if it is in the United States. You'd be able to get one that is inspected and checked out but then shipped directly to you vs. shipping it to the states proper then wherever you happen to be.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

KakerMix posted:

Where are you at geographically? Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands or something that is still the US?
There are lots of places to search for yourself, two of them being https://www.tradecarview.com/ and http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/. Otherwise a lot of import services will import to any place in the US on your behalf, generally a lot of the outfits will have offices or some point of contact wherever you are if it is in the United States. You'd be able to get one that is inspected and checked out but then shipped directly to you vs. shipping it to the states proper then wherever you happen to be.

Can you legit buy these and register them in CA?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kramdar posted:

Can you legit buy these and register them in CA?

No because California smog laws gently caress you up. If you can find one that's pre whatever-the-year is for California then yea, otherwise California is the one state that these aren't legal because your state has smog rules that are outside of Federal rules. Note that I have zero experience with California smog laws but from everything I've seen while researching for myself has said this.
On another note, less than two years before I get one :getin:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 5, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I need to flee the state, ugh... I need a tiny stupid car.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Right? My wife wants a Transit Connect, but there's an Acty on there that looks like a VW Bus.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
There's a whole cottage industry/subculture in Japan that loves turning the Subaru Sambar into a kei VW bus clone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

There's a whole cottage industry/subculture in Japan that loves turning the Subaru Sambar into a kei VW bus clone.

IMO the best Japanese kei car conversion shop is Dream Factory Blow.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I would drive that all day long.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kramdar posted:

Right? My wife wants a Transit Connect, but there's an Acty on there that looks like a VW Bus.

Dannywilson posted:

Yeah this, that's a Sambar kit thing. They also do other things:

:getin:

edit:
beaten like my legs in a front-impact crash over 2 mph

edit again, look at these righteous things
http://www.blow-net.co.jp/custom-usedcars/603
http://www.blow-net.co.jp/products-cars

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 5, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KakerMix posted:

pre whatever-the-year is for California

1975. I honestly didn't know they made kei cars that far back, but it looks like they did! Neat.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Raluek posted:

1975. I honestly didn't know they made kei cars that far back, but it looks like they did! Neat.

Kei cars have been a tax classification since 1949 :eng101:

There were even a few officially imported into the US in the 60s by Malcolm Bricklen (who later went on to make the Bricklin SV-1 and import... Yugos), the Subaru 360 and the Subaru Sambar (in van and truck form). Unfortunately, at the time they were made, the kei specification only actually allowed for engines no larger than 360cc, so you're not getting anywhere in a hurry.

I think a forums member was working on a Sambar belonging to a friend of his? That thread might've fallen into the archives at this point though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

edit:
beaten like my legs in a front-impact crash over 2 mph

I mean, I doubt you'd do much better in an actual C10.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The most adorable "free candy" murdervan. :3:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The tiny, tiny side pipes are my favorite.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

i need one of these just so i can park it next to the real ones when i go anywhere

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/5779149390.html ???????????????????????????

quote:

selling my 04 rx8 with a big block ford, nearly finished the project but life happened and now i need the cash.

unknown mileage on body
rebuilt title
stripped interior, rough exterior (drift car)
1991 ford 4.9 (300-6) 100k miles
m5r2 top loader transmission
hydraulic power steering
egr delete
air pump delete
freshly gone through engine and trans
new:
radiator
ps pump
ps rack
ps lines
driveshaft
custom exhaust
brake lines
distributor/cap/rotor
spark plugs
starter
starter solenoid

car only needs coilovers and an alignment to be track ready which is what i was building it for.
runs and drives great as it is and is fully street legal with current plates and tabs.

looking to get 2200obo, like i said, life threw a curveball and i need to sell.

170 horsepower of raw fury

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I want to hug one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if Keith cars are illegal to drive on US roads but there is a guy in the area that brings a sweet rear end Kei van to cars and coffee once in a while and it has an Indiana plate on it. And I know someone in the process of importing a Beat and he plans to drive the poo poo out of it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

razorscooter posted:

i need one of these just so i can park it next to the real ones when i go anywhere

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/5779149390.html ???????????????????????????

A 300cid inline six is not a big block, haha what the gently caress

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if Keith cars are illegal to drive on US roads but there is a guy in the area that brings a sweet rear end Kei van to cars and coffee once in a while and it has an Indiana plate on it. And I know someone in the process of importing a Beat and he plans to drive the poo poo out of it.

Ask Keith, maybe

Raluek fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 5, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Keith is a jerk and doesn't get to tell me what to do :mad:

KakerMix posted:

NHTSA explains that as long as it is 25 years or older from date of manufacture it can be imported into the United States regardless of it's original market and be legal.
But yes, kei cars are legal to drive on US roads as long as they clear the 25 year rule and you import them correctly. Which means the vehicle can not be brought into the United States of America before it turns 25 years old (to the day) of it's date of manufacture. This goes for any for-road-use vehicle as well, nothing is stopping you from importing a weird 25+ year old 89 e30 3 series wagon , Spanish-market Land Cruisers, even a neato 2-stoke sport bikes.
Honda Beats just recently started becoming legal under the 25 year rule which is why they are somewhat popular right now. Montu Motors has the most that I can find in the USA for sale right now already imported. October marks the month that the first Suzuki Cappuccinos are becoming legal under the 25 year rule so get ready to start seeing those. I'm still holding out for the Autozam AZ-1.
There is a bit about 'mini-trucks' in various flavors of law around the country which tends to confuse some people when they start looking up the legalities of kei cars because lots of people import newer-than-25 years old kei trucks for use on farms and things. A tiny air-conditioned Honda is a pretty good vehicle opposite one of those John Deere open-cockpit ATV crawler things. However if the vehicle is over 25 years old all rules go out the window and it's legal baby!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 5, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

razorscooter posted:

Of all the loving engines...

I mean, yeah, it'll run forever, but... WHY?

Also, yes. Not a big block. That's not how those terms work.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Buy my unfinished project car, I don't even know what engine I'm putting in.

:suicide:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can't wait to get an Autozam az-1 and die in a 5mph collision.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
If you can't handle me at my furiousest

you don't deserve me at my fastest

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

razorscooter posted:

DRIFT CAR DRIFT CAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Fender flares, Boeing 747 wing, rebuilt title. Better buy now before this deal takes off, literally.