Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just got Emily's new eight heart event, and of course Abigail steals the show anyway :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Wow the riverlands map makes wood an absolute premium, no snacks here, pretty much every tree seed needs to be replanted immediately

Also gently caress all trees that fall in the loving river.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Chop down the trees in the area west of Marnie's ranch instead. No danger of losing wood and they regrow automatically after a week or two.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Chop down the trees in the area west of Marnie's ranch instead. No danger of losing wood and they regrow automatically after a week or two.

I am, the problem is I'm trying to fill the seas with crab pots while I forage in people's garbage for energy restoring treats

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

inthesto posted:

I just got Emily's new eight heart event, and of course Abigail steals the show anyway :allears:

I don't know what this event is, but now I'm kinda wanting events that involve multiple people. Like if you have a 5 hearts with everyone, they throw you a surprise birthday party when you go home or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know what this event is, but now I'm kinda wanting events that involve multiple people. Like if you have a 5 hearts with everyone, they throw you a surprise birthday party when you go home or something.

Events with multiple people is pretty good, it makes the town feel more alive rather then absolutely revolving around you. Shane's commercial event is a good indicator, Shane is trying to do something for his job and asked some townies for help and you're just incidental in it. Rather then you, the protagonist, coming in and saving the day by being the main star in the commercial.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you have max hearts with everyone you get the harem ending and get a multitude of slaves servants loving spouses from many different upbringings to help around the farm.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CJacobs posted:

If you have max hearts with everyone you get the harem ending and get a multitude of slaves servants loving spouses from many different upbringings to help around the farm.

you forgot the 8 story house

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Supremezero posted:

I think it turned out that Gold Fire Quartz was the most cost effective use of Crystallariums, since gems didn't have quality levels?

Yes, this was why I stuck one in. I have one that does frozen tears (for Sebastian's daily gift, though I should cheap out and go back to giving him void eggs), another for diamonds, and then the fire quartz.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CJacobs posted:

That's all I've ever asked for.

Discendo Vox posted:

I want to seduce and marry everyone in town (except Morris) and have them all come live in my gigantic space fortress/farmhouse. I want to purchase the Jojamart building and fill it with statues made by dipping the corpses of my enemies in iridium. I want to go to the Dwarf home planet, and travel back in time to save the elves, and I want to defeat and collect epic-tier loot from Yoba. I want to be able to go into the city, sell my wares, and date everyone in the city, too. I want the final dungeon to be Shinra Joja Tower, complete with a scene where you fight past your old cubicle.

Discendo Vox posted:

Polygamy is terrible, impractical and justly illegal in real life. In Stardew, though, I want to marry everyone(including my dog) and make them live in my castle.

Discendo Vox posted:

I want my farmer to marry everyone. Men, women, kids, the dwarves, my dog, my watering can, Morris, that one weird rock near the quarry...it's not about attraction, it's about a more complete sense of acquisition and control.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yes, this was why I stuck one in. I have one that does frozen tears (for Sebastian's daily gift, though I should cheap out and go back to giving him void eggs), another for diamonds, and then the fire quartz.

Sashimi would be the easiest and cheapest gift for Sebastian - you get the recipe from Linus once you get I think 3 or 4 hearts (which is easy because Linus enjoys basically any fruit or veg, so you can give him foraged stuff early on, then if need be give him yams in fall which he loves, but you should get the recipe from him long before then.) Then you just convert fish directly to sashimi.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I've been turning carp into sashimi but aside from desperately trying to catch tilapia, I don't normally fish so much. :(

I think I mentioned this when it happened but if you don't give gifts regularly, they loving NOTICE. Sebastian refused to get out of bed for a while and I lost hearts because I went a week without giving him gifts. Little bastard.

I have full hearts with Shane, I wonder if there are new heart events that I'll get to see? I don't know how that works with him. I thought about re-starting to go for him or for Leah but am too lazy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I've been turning carp into sashimi but aside from desperately trying to catch tilapia, I don't normally fish so much. :(

I think I mentioned this when it happened but if you don't give gifts regularly, they loving NOTICE. Sebastian refused to get out of bed for a while and I lost hearts because I went a week without giving him gifts. Little bastard.

I have full hearts with Shane, I wonder if there are new heart events that I'll get to see? I don't know how that works with him. I thought about re-starting to go for him or for Leah but am too lazy.

If you have earned a heart event but not seen it, the next time you fulfill the timing for that scene, it will go off. If you need to go to the spa at 8 PM for something and miss a day, the next time you go to the spa at 8, the event will go off. If you missed Leah's 2 heart for some reason and it's at her place, and are up to her 4 heart event at the pub or whatever, the next time you go to her place, the 2 heart event will go off.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 5, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Sashimi and quality fertilizer are the entire reason crab pots exist.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
The new farm layouts are nice and all, but now I can't decide which to pick.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Go for forest: The aesthetic is nice, the space is still abundant, and the mixed seeds weeds give you a hell of a start.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Im starting a new game for 1.1 does anyone know a good spergy minmaxing guide? I play pretty chill and casually but i like knowing how to optimize my casualism.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

Im starting a new game for 1.1 does anyone know a good spergy minmaxing guide? I play pretty chill and casually but i like knowing how to optimize my casualism.

It doesn't seem to matter as much as it did? The game seems far more generous in general wrt RNG giving you nice poo poo early on, than it did at release

r/stardewvalley seems to be extremely informative I'm gonna dig around there and see if they have anything written up

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 5, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

its always a safe bet to spend all your money on crops and plant as many as you can stand to deal with each day, the crops that got nerfed are still probably the good ones if you dont care for variety. thats about as much minmaxing as you need.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

It doesn't seem to matter as much as it did? The game seems far more generous in general wrt RNG giving you nice poo poo early on, than it did at release

r/stardewvalley seems to be extremely informative I'm gonna dig around there and see if they have anything written up

I think that gif is giving me motion sickness.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

Click on the question mark icon under Coolguye's posts.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
since its been brought up I will go ahead and quote the post I feel is most relevant

Coolguye posted:

You're not going to get a step-by-step thing because of the inherently random nature of the things you need to do to be really min-maxing - that is, diving the mine hard and supplanting your early energy with spring onions (and Salmonberries, later).

The basics are:
- Forget about making a ton of money on crops. None of the spring crops are worth much. Start out with a couple crops of Parsnips, then work in potatoes as your ambition suits you. I personally just stick with straight Parsnips because harvesting is what gets you farming XP, and if you want to be really min-maxing, your goal is level 6 farming by Summer 1 at the absolute least. It is possible to get up higher than that and I feel like that's way more valuable than any extra money potatoes will give you. You really only need enough money on Summer 1 to buy seeds.
- Dive the mines and dive them HARD. Don't be afraid to bomb the poo poo out of the place if you have the means. You want to be able to obtain gold (level 70, I believe) by Summer 1 so you can start slamming out quality sprinklers.
- Foraging is good because you're still going to end up with times when you're spent on energy but still have time in the day. Be sure to make seeds out of your forage and plant them back - you can't beat farming XP that comes for free.

You can get to Farming 6 easier than you think in the first season - I think you only need like 30-40 plots of parsnips planted and rocking to get there. Exactly how hard to farm is up to you.

The basic theory is that Summer is when actual money making starts and you need to be ready with good sprinklers on the first day to make the most out of your land. Watering is a waste of time and energy when you can gather some metals and be done with watering forever.

I don't have a good recommendation for crop layout that incorporates the jumino but yet (I haven't had more than 45 minutes to tinker just yet) but my old layout that incorporates crop, flower, beehive, fruit tree, and grass space can be found here:
https://stardew.info/planner/25a543fb-14c1-464a-8f2c-6da4c1544b63/

You can basically duplicate the design anywhere you see a scarecrow. The stone walls are optional decorative space for junk like lamps and musical blocks of you want them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

rotinaj posted:

If you have earned a heart event but not seen it, the next time you fulfill the timing for that scene, it will go off. If you need to go to the spa at 8 PM for something and miss a day, the next time you go to the spa at 8, the event will go off. If you missed Leah's 2 heart for some reason and it's at her place, and are up to her 4 heart event at the pub or whatever, the next time you go to her place, the 2 heart event will go off.

You can have events stack -- I somehow missed never went to the beach at the right time to see Alex's 2 heart. When I reached 8 (?) hearts with him, I got to see his 2-heart and his 8-heart back-to-back just by entering the Ocean twice. It was actually pretty jarring and kind of funny.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Oh okay cool so theres no spring crop thats worth it to stockpile. Im trying to keep at least one of everything in case it ever comes up for anything plus all the community center bundles. Is kale good for anything?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

Oh okay cool so theres no spring crop thats worth it to stockpile. Im trying to keep at least one of everything in case it ever comes up for anything plus all the community center bundles. Is kale good for anything?

As far as a good first spring goes, for me it's basically a rush to the 24 slot backpack, and then I forage/farm/fish/mine, making sure I have ~5,400g or so by the 13th. That will get you 54 strawberry seeds, which coincidentally seems to be the absolute maximum you can plant/water when you get home from the festival at 10PM (you will need to pre-hoe and have a full watering can ready it is very tight if you want to beat midnight)

Only real "trick" for me is making sure that I rotate through each tree type as I cut them down to try and produce as many snacks as possible. A lot of these early days you will run out of energy before you run out of storage space/time.

I forgot about getting to farming level 5 by Summer 1, do you think the 54 strawberry plants will be enough or should I double down on some parsnips?

https://stardewvalleywiki.com is incredibly useful and I find myself referencing it constantly

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Strawberries! I knew there was something i missed my first playthrough. The wiki is pretty essential with the sheer amount of things to find catch grow ect ect.

Er how the heck to you make 5400 in less than 13 days though? Is this an internet ad?

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 5, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Plant a tiny bit of Parsnips (enough to get level 1 so you can build a scarecrow), fish to buy potato seeds, and then fish more for the backpack upgrade and even more potato seeds. I think you'll have at least 2? Rainy days. I spent one of them w/ a fish stew and some energy bars fishing all day, and the other rushing down to level 25 of the mines.

IIRC the strawberries are good for 10,400g, which will get you 130 Melon Seeds, or 69 (heh) Corn seeds. Melons are obviously worth far more money, but there is "hidden value" in not having to re-plant as often through the rest of summer/fall for Corn. That said, giant crops seem far more common/less bugged in 1.1 (seeing a lot more posts about them), and there's also coffee now.

In a past playthrough I spent both rainy days fishing, which was complete overkill (you should have the upgraded rod w/ bait by the 2nd rainy day), and planted something like 120 strawberry plants, which ended up consuming almost all of my energy and a significant amount of time. It's more than 3x the amount of time/effort for ~double the amount of money.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Wow im just finishing up my first week and i got a half dozen 9x9 fields of potatos and a couple bucks to my name. Almost none of the trees ive chopped down have given me seeds since my first level up so no food to grind out anywhere near that much fishing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

Oh okay cool so theres no spring crop thats worth it to stockpile

If you care for it, Jodi is a bit of an rear end in a top hat and will ask you for cauliflower conveniently on a day where its not possible to grow any before the season ends.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

Wow im just finishing up my first week and i got a half dozen 9x9 fields of potatos and a couple bucks to my name. Almost none of the trees ive chopped down have given me seeds since my first level up so no food to grind out anywhere near that much fishing.

It's honestly not that much fishing, seems silly of you to ask about minmaxing and then whine about grinding when really you just did things in the wrong order :sigh:

You probably weren't foraging enough, make sure to hit the area by the sewers to the south for all of the spring onions. This typically gets you level 1 before you even chop down a tree.

Regardless, the snacks come as a by-product of chopping down hella trees to make chests and a scarecrow. If you cut down a bit on the early farming, which is extremely inefficient until it's leveled, you will have more energy to cut down trees. They aren't even required if you're willing to fish both days.

If you're not going to have 5,400g by the 13th I would restart.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

New Zealand can eat me posted:

It's honestly not that much fishing, seems silly of you to ask about minmaxing and then whine about grinding when really you just did things in the wrong order :sigh:

You probably weren't foraging enough, make sure to hit the area by the sewers to the south for all of the spring onions. This typically gets you level 1 before you even chop down a tree.

Regardless, the snacks come as a by-product of chopping down hella trees to make chests and a scarecrow. If you cut down a bit on the early farming, which is extremely inefficient until it's leveled, you will have more energy to cut down trees. They aren't even required if you're willing to fish both days.

If you're not going to have 5,400g by the 13th I would restart.

Fishings one of my favorite pastimes and id like to get more done but i dont have enough seeds so i get tired and go to bed at 9 what am i gonna do sometimes life doesnt find a way :shrug:

Restarting because i didnt make the most amount of money possible in one season of a game is way beyond the level that ive ever engaged with one man.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I like fishing, but I don't like how it's almost the only way to finish that loving museum.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
does putting crabpots on your farm give you fish/lobsters/crabs? I'm sick of running to the beach to collect trash

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yes. I never got anything but lobsters, snail and trash out of crab pots though, regardless of where I put them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

does putting crabpots on your farm give you fish/lobsters/crabs? I'm sick of running to the beach to collect trash

It'll give you fish, but not the same ones as the beach. You'll get crayfish and mussels rather than lobsters and oysters.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tenebrais posted:

It'll give you fish, but not the same ones as the beach. You'll get crayfish and mussels rather than lobsters and oysters.

All I see is one more Samishi/Quality Fertilizer :twisted:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Anyone doing the wine barrel rush needs to remember to tap their Oak Trees. That changed post 1.0x and will be the biggest roadbump if you forget to get the tar.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Getting crabs from crab pots means you can make crab cakes, which are as good as pepper poppers.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
So now that fruit trees can grow outside of the dirt in the greenhouse again, what are some good layouts? Also, someone said that putting floors around fruit trees after they're fully grown will prevent them from "aging" and producing higher quality fruit. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The new woodlands map is very good, although it is a little frustrating that the pond in the middle neatly bisects the farming area. The area near your house is sufficient, but it's annoying that Robin won't build anything on the grassy areas. Also, I really wish there was a way to cut down those bushes. Still, fruit trees will grow on the grass, so that's nice!