Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zophar posted:

Reminder that Pence literally forced women who miscarry to hold funerals for their fetuses.

*shakes head profusely*

nuh-uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
For the love of gently caress Kaine, bring up the loans from Trump's daddy.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Well that was painful.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Postal Parcel posted:

I wouldn't get too happy right now
I assume it'll be MUCH closer than Clinton/Trump

If Kaine had this sort of mannerism at the beginning, it might've been better

But it's about sound bites, no one is watching this poo poo except us and r/thedonald.

Kaine is winning on that front and Pence is saying a lot of poo poo right now that will play poorly in the coverage of this debate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

While Kaine talks over you the whole time.

~The Debate~

Meh. I didn't like it either, but Kaine was in a no-win situation a lot of the time. Pence was making such finely-crafted BS sandwiches, that it would be impossible in this format to really combat it.

I think the main media response is going to be fact-checking and it'll be very one-sided.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'd say even, to minor Pence win

Kaine doesn't have the personality to attack in an effective way

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Pence is absolutely going to be judged the winner tonight, but how it all plays out in the next few days I don't know.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
They're gonna put Tim Kaine in time out for this

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

thank you moderator, you were a nothing.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Link a good post-debate reaction

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pence's entire strategy is predicated on a bet that people won't actively follow up on anything he says. It's actually not a bad bet to make. On the other hand, this entire style of debating completely falls apart if there's an expectation that your audience will fact check the things you're saying later.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Kaine was quite obnoxious through most of that

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Xae posted:

So this is a typical political debate where a Democrat tries to apply sensible policy and Republican lies his rear end off and the Media is asleep at the wheel?

Yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was just a complete disaster for Kaine, Jesus.

He had to know what was coming, how was he so unprepared?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

I dunno, Pence comes off to me as more of a slickster telling me I need to accept a longer sentence to win the case. Kaine is a LOT more earnest and while he might be harping, Pence's responses to me just make him more punchable.

But you're a Democrat, right? People with functioning brain stems know this, but sadly...

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
haha Lester Holt's first sentence "...Pence defended Trump's record"

NO HE loving DIDN'T HE IGNORED IT ENTIRELY

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

So I'm between a tie and a "kaine lost but it won't matter" judgement of the debate. I think the most embarrassing part was two men just talking over a woman moderator constantly.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I think this was a draw, or at least close enough that this really doesn't matter. It's about what I expected.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
CBS says: "Kaine, the Senator from Virgina, interrupting often, Pence, Governor from Indiana, the more deliberate of the two, but we didn't learn much about either man"

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Oh, good, I can't wait to hear from these Ohio idiots.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Honestly I think kaine picked it up towards the end enough that the debate is an even bigger "meh" of not mattering. There was no curb stomping either way, or gotcha moments of neat soundbites.

Entirely pointless.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Goatman Sacks posted:

Pence's theme song for tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jSWME37As

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Pence's entire strategy is predicated on a bet that people won't actively follow up on anything he says. It's actually not a bad bet to make. On the other hand, this entire style of debating completely falls apart if there's an expectation that your audience will fact check the things you're saying later.

If every non-fox media source actually puts fact checking front and center for days, Kaine might not "win", but Pence will still look really bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that mexican thing again

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Taima posted:

But it's about sound bites, no one is watching this poo poo except us and r/thedonald.

Kaine is winning on that front and Pence is saying a lot of poo poo right now that will play poorly in the coverage of this debate.

This debate won't change anybody's mind, and it wasn't exactly easily digestible in quick clips and soundbites. Basically, a big nothing :burger:.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Pence is absolutely going to be judged the winner tonight, but how it all plays out in the next few days I don't know.

"He did well but *lie* *lie* *pants on fire* *clip of Trump from 2015 contradicting him* so it's a draw!"

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Dork457 posted:

So I'm between a tie and a "kaine lost but it won't matter" judgement of the debate. I think the most embarrassing part was two men just talking over a woman moderator constantly.

They do this in every debate with male moderators too bud

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
That was just awful. Tim Did nothing helpful and Pence dodged every drat attack on Trump and just let them stand. This was a waste of 90 mins. :smithicide:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

haha Lester Holt's first sentence "...Pence defended Trump's record"

NO HE loving DIDN'T HE IGNORED IT ENTIRELY
Jake Tapper said that Pence won on style, maybe not substance, and then pointed out very clearly that Pence did not defend Trump time after time as Kaine put pressure on him to do so, and said he wondered how that would play in media.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pence lied his rear end off but he came across as stronger and more collected. Every time Kaine brought up some crazy shitballs thing Trump said, Pence waved it off like it was nothing and whenever Kaine tried to press him, he came across badly. The fact checkers are gonna savage Pence but he was a better debater.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Wow, the WaPo stream host just savaged Pence

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Knowing this election season the VP debate will get 3 hours of coverage before the donald gets jealous and shoots himself in the foot again by saying something attention grabbing and ostracizing

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/783496768126418945

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Kaine is how Clinton would have seemed like if she was against anyone other than Trump.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Considering that modern debates like this are judged not on mastery of facts and persuasion of the audience wrt policy positions, but on showmanship and delivery of narrative, Pence clearly "won"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, that was just as boring as a VP debate usually is. I thought Pence was clearly a stronger debater in terms of his actual skills at speaking and responding, but he was seriously hampered by having to defend all the things Donald Trump has said, and I was honestly infuriated by how he just shook his head whenever Kaine brought up factual things said by Donald Trump and then just blatantly lied to say "Trump didn't say that" or "Trump didn't mean what he said". If I didn't know anything about the campaign I would probably say Pence won because he was a stronger debater, but knowing that 90% of the things he said were total bullshit means I couldn't actually say that in reality.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

Honestly I think kaine picked it up towards the end enough that the debate is an even bigger "meh" of not mattering. There was no curb stomping either way, or gotcha moments of neat soundbites.

Entirely pointless.

A push is a win in this case

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Planet Clinton will probably have a commercial out tomorrow of Pence claiming things were never said, followed by Trump and Pence saying them verbatim.

Pence has a great debate demeanor but you can't win a game when your strategy is to just sit on the goal and let your opponent take shots.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
How exactly is responding to "Donald Trump said he would punish women for having abortions" with "nah he never said that, he's not a polished politician" even slightly acceptable without being challenged on it, jfc.

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That was just a complete disaster for Kaine, Jesus.

He had to know what was coming, how was he so unprepared?

You realize of course that Pence just created new ads for Hillary?

Pence spent too much time rejecting obviously true quotes about Trump. The ads make themselves. Pence threw Trump under the bus in the process. Kaine wasn't trying to improve his own image. Pence forgot the importance of helping Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Goatman Sacks posted:

CNN is actually not poo poo. "Pence did well on style, but he refused to defend anything that Kaine accurately attributed to Trump"

• Locked thread