Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Evernoob posted:

I think DBG screwed something up : with the release of Luclin on Phinigel mounts became available.
The DB store also opened up the cash-mounts. This means that for the low price of 995 SC (=having a subscription for 2 months or 10€ if you want to buy it directly) you can get a Snow Puma mount, which comes with a speed buff and a stat buff. The speed buff can be clicked away so you just keep the stat buff of 250hp 300mana 120AC and 30SVCold (buff duration 5 hours)

This buff is WAY too strong in Luclin era, and available from level 1. My newbie SK was pretty much untouchable with 120 extra AC below level 10.

Definitely out of era but if you look at your actual stats, nobody is getting +120 AC from the item. Most 60s are reporting getting anywhere from 25-35 AC from it (still pretty huge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
What's the deal with mounts on Phin now in terms of speed? The way it used to be, I think, was that if you bought a store mount it was only as fast as the speed of your highest mount you already had?

TLDR if I spend $25 on a mount is it going to be the 100k vendor speed?

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico

Love Crime posted:

What's the deal with mounts on Phin now in terms of speed? The way it used to be, I think, was that if you bought a store mount it was only as fast as the speed of your highest mount you already had?

TLDR if I spend $25 on a mount is it going to be the 100k vendor speed?

Yeah the store bought mounts appear to be 100k speed with a boat load of stats.

The Quarm mount is Ssra/Seru speed with no stats

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yawn, so tired of grinding. Got my beast up to 42 so far, lots ahead of me, but I've also been raiding. Now that I can group with 60s though hopefully it'll stay at a decent pace.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

A few goodies:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=36845

quote:

From 12:01AM on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 through 12:00PM (Noon) on Wednesday, October 12, 2016, All Access Members who log in to EverQuest will receive the “Visage of Chardok Royalty,” which is a Sarnak player illusion!

quote:

Also, throughout October and November until expansion launch we’ll be running bi-weekly bonuses, like experience boosts, reduced lockouts, increased rare spawns, and more.

Apze
Jul 4, 2014
Just hit 60 on my BST last night, server #2 60, but I stopped to do my epic at 51 because I'm a huge nerd.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I spend some hours this weekend and played my (moderately twinked) SK to 20.
Afterwards I did the same to a (comparatively twinked) monk.

Both doing FoB to 7 -> Kurn's Tower to 12 -> Paludal Caverns to 19 and then some more in Echo Caverns.

It's amazing how much more a SK appears to whiff his swings against yellow and lightred mobs, where a monk manages to land his swings more often.
Sometimes I felt dumb as the SK snaring the mob, but having to swing in the back of the mob for ages.

I kind of forgot how OP those beastlord warders are at low level, darn those DD procs!

Starting tomorrow I will have my laptop setup to box my bard, and will have to decide if I continue with the SK or the Bard.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Apze posted:

Just hit 60 on my BST last night, server #2 60, but I stopped to do my epic at 51 because I'm a huge nerd.

Think the epic is "soloable" with 60 sk and druid plus bst? Was reading it and most seemed pretty grand

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 3, 2016

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Good old drama on tlp forums brings back a lot of memories

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

People still manage to act like giant toddlers killing 17 year old raid content with instances available to them N I C E

Apze
Jul 4, 2014

Krazuel posted:

Think the epic is "soloable" with 60 sk and druid plus bst? Was reading it and most seemed pretty grand

Hmmm, maybe if you're incredibly well geared. They all have ~30k+ hp, but the spin stun on the crocodile for instance was pretty bad. I think he procs it, so it was just a permanent spinning on most of my boxes. I did it mostly with 4 epic mage pets and a cleric, so my dps was pretty good, but was still going oom keeping the pets up on some of them. I'd personally not risk it as the scouts are 24-72 hour respawns. Everything after the scouts is super easy though.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Lord Inquisitor Seru was the most dull boss ever to kill, I got to shoot a bow for 5 minutes and drop massive damage but it was kind of depressing lol

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

iNteg posted:

Lord Inquisitor Seru was the most dull boss ever to kill, I got to shoot a bow for 5 minutes and drop massive damage but it was kind of depressing lol

But dat earring of Veracity, yo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

iNteg posted:

Yeah seru is boring as gently caress, jam tank in corner between pillar and wall, do a thing for 10 minutes.

Sadly that is how most Luclin fights are, but you have something to look forward to in PoP, poo poo gets interesting there!

Or, perhaps they'll have you be the kiter for burrower beast and you can run in circles for 40 minutes.... as a druid I was stuck in that roll for a while (after we had it on lockdown I would purposely die and let my secondary take over)

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

MF_James posted:

Yeah seru is boring as gently caress, jam tank in corner between pillar and wall, do a thing for 10 minutes.

Sadly that is how most Luclin fights are, but you have something to look forward to in PoP, poo poo gets interesting there!

Or, perhaps they'll have you be the kiter for burrower beast and you can run in circles for 40 minutes.... as a druid I was stuck in that roll for a while (after we had it on lockdown I would purposely die and let my secondary take over)

Seru was actually going a lot faster than we expected, but that was because people were going balls out and pulled agro @ about 70%. Once we got him back in position and the requisite reprimands were completed, it was slow and steady to win that race.

When we did burrower beast, we had two bards playing slow/snare song and just murdered everything. Luclin is not intended for you to throw more than 50 people at an encounter, hence the Mitigation of the Mighty change, but even then we simply know too much more about the mechanics of EQ that were still a mystery all those years ago.

Sadly, while PoP changes things by making raid bosses hit much harder, the only real 'mechanic' they added was timed or percentage based adds. You don't start getting raids that have depth until the Ikkinz raids in Gates of Discord requiring you to kill golems that are raping tanks with a specific class or archtype. I think the only 'hey that's a neat trick' in PoP is Plane of Time Bertoxxulous who inverts his melee/magic resistances as the fight goes on.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hoohah posted:

Seru was actually going a lot faster than we expected, but that was because people were going balls out and pulled agro @ about 70%. Once we got him back in position and the requisite reprimands were completed, it was slow and steady to win that race.

When we did burrower beast, we had two bards playing slow/snare song and just murdered everything. Luclin is not intended for you to throw more than 50 people at an encounter, hence the Mitigation of the Mighty change, but even then we simply know too much more about the mechanics of EQ that were still a mystery all those years ago.

Sadly, while PoP changes things by making raid bosses hit much harder, the only real 'mechanic' they added was timed or percentage based adds. You don't start getting raids that have depth until the Ikkinz raids in Gates of Discord requiring you to kill golems that are raping tanks with a specific class or archtype. I think the only 'hey that's a neat trick' in PoP is Plane of Time Bertoxxulous who inverts his melee/magic resistances as the fight goes on.

Eh, in era we raided with like 120ppl in our alliance in luclin. Burrower beast we eventually figured out you didn't have to kill everything, which meant druids/rangers kite for 20-30 minutes then BB spawns.

Yeah maybe I've got hte rose tinted glasses on for PoP, I did like the zek fight, time was sweet, I liked PoFire, earth was ok until you had to farm it 3-4 times.

water sucked because water and air was unmemorable imo.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

MF_James posted:

and air was unmemorable imo.

Heh, I indeed don't remember it. Was that the fight were you had to set up in a corner of an island and then different waves of mobs were pulled until the final boss pops and you kill it? Don't think it went there more than twice just to get flagged for Time.

The sub planes were actually quite alright to do, but people weren't really interested in them because as soon as you were flagged to a higher tier of planes (elemental) there was almost no reason to go back (tower of saryrn, plane of disease, terris thule). Also it was considered very unpolite to kill those bosses as you blocked progress for the lower tiered guilds.

I think on Phinigel with the instanced raids these sub planes could become a great source for pickup raids.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

My guild did a lot of lower tier raids to flag people prior to the flag system changing, it was fun, but yeah, really no point once you have hte elemental planes, especially if you have them to yourself (instances), plenty of gear to go around for your 50-72person raid.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, I already think Luclin raids are much more interesting than Vanilla / Kunark / Velious. Stuff happens during some of them!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Heh, I already think Luclin raids are much more interesting than Vanilla / Kunark / Velious. Stuff happens during some of them!

Like loving up Khati Sha?! ;)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The frustrating thing is we don't know WHAT happened. We don't know if we hosed it up, or if it bugged out.

We killed Warder of Death while people worked on jail below. Then we had someone waiting for Warder of Life to become targetable while killing jail stuff. We killed grimlings before killing skeletons (I can't remember the names). Then both cats just laid down on us. Warder of Life never became targetable.

We think a 10 minute time limit caused it to end, but we're not sure why it would hit that limit. Things were dying drat near immediately.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
How I trolled my raid group:

One day I decided to gently caress around with my Gina triggers, more specifically the text to speech that plays when a trigger fires, so that Gina would make snarky, insulting comments if you missed emotes or other important actions. Stuff like "hey, shitlord, you need a disease cure" or "get away from the raid or you wipe us, for fucks sake" or "more spergs spawning." I even threw in a "50 dkp minus" reference. I did this for all the raids we run and then I discretely shared it with the entire raid while we were forming up. Of course these nerds just automatically merged them into their gina packages without a passing thought. About 30 seconds into the event, people start losing their poo poo on teamspeak "what is a shitlord?" "OMG, gina just said the F word!"

Most of these nerds have zero idea about how to manually configure a gina trigger and simply rely on others to share trigger packages. Well, now gina is going to poo poo talk all raid long and there's nothing they can do about it!

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico

Krycek posted:

How I trolled my raid group:

One day I decided to gently caress around with my Gina triggers, more specifically the text to speech that plays when a trigger fires, so that Gina would make snarky, insulting comments if you missed emotes or other important actions. Stuff like "hey, shitlord, you need a disease cure" or "get away from the raid or you wipe us, for fucks sake" or "more spergs spawning." I even threw in a "50 dkp minus" reference. I did this for all the raids we run and then I discretely shared it with the entire raid while we were forming up. Of course these nerds just automatically merged them into their gina packages without a passing thought. About 30 seconds into the event, people start losing their poo poo on teamspeak "what is a shitlord?" "OMG, gina just said the F word!"

Most of these nerds have zero idea about how to manually configure a gina trigger and simply rely on others to share trigger packages. Well, now gina is going to poo poo talk all raid long and there's nothing they can do about it!

I could use this with triggers saying hide behind the wall for the AoE dumbass

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
we have a decent portion of our raid force that can never seem to figure out kite mechanics and they always loving drag poo poo through the main group totally oblivious as to where they need to go. I'm almost sure they're not actually using gina and our raid leader does not enforce the the "must use audio triggers" rule that we have. These are the same dipshits that post on forums "you don't need gina to be successful" and "I can do it perfectly just scanning chat windows for text emotes" yet we still wipe to emote fails.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
a lot of times when leading raid you're basically forced to have the 5 competent guys in the whole raid do everything while everyone else just does their dogshit "rotation" or whatever the gently caress they can muster. it is what it is, that's the double edged sword of letting everyone on the server raid.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

darkhand posted:

a lot of times when leading raid you're basically forced to have the 5 competent guys in the whole raid do everything while everyone else just does their dogshit "rotation" or whatever the gently caress they can muster. it is what it is, that's the double edged sword of letting everyone on the server raid.

lol yup, on live i raided with ~50 people from PoP through god only knows how many expacs, there were maybe 20 competent people.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MF_James posted:

lol yup, on live i raided with ~50 people from PoP through god only knows how many expacs, there were maybe 20 competent people.

I raid in the guild the has beaten expansions first since Underfoot. There is a raid in TBM where, if you're near the boss, people will periodically get a debuff called Holistic Health. It shows up in bright yellow text on your screen. It shows up in your chat log, so you can make an audio trigger for it. It also shows up as a red debuff in your buff bars. The only thing you have to do, the ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO DO, is run into an aura that is randomly set at one of the four cardinal directions in this small room. This debuff happens maybe five times during the ten minute fight.

Two to six people fail that emote every weekend we raid. There are always terrible players no matter what guild you are in.

LiteraryDouble
Nov 28, 2014

Hello friends.
Started playing this game on the Phinny progression server.

After getting into a guild, being gifted a bunch of free stuff, and grinding my way to 35, I've learned that most of Everquest is sitting in places waiting to find a group.

Having said group... is a mixed experience.

Yesterday my ToFS group pulled the "boss" monster of the floor somehow, wiping us. Went AFK for a smoke, to find that I'd been ported by my group as a favor to Commonlands' druid ring. Which would be really nice, except I'm a necromancer hostile to the druids there, and I immediately ate poo poo again.

Fast forward to today, two and a half hours of not finding a group and counting. Start soloing in Dawnshroud peaks. Only able to kill two or three mobs in one go before having to sit for mana. Grind a whopping 9 percent of my level this way.

Then a train of mushrooms walks by behind some dude and proceed to stomp my rear end into the dirt, erasing the last two and a half hours of progress.

10/10 quality entertainment, would pay $14.99 again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Did you... Did you not know anything about Everquest before you started?

LiteraryDouble
Nov 28, 2014

Hello friends.

Medullah posted:

Did you... Did you not know anything about Everquest before you started?

No, not really. Watched a couple Youtube videos.

I've played quite a few MMOs, including the more "hardcore" ones (e.g. FFXI, EVE Online) so I thought I'd give it a go.

It's a good game. Just, the sheer level of social ineptitude holding me back from being assertive in finding groups holds me back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Everquest is leagues ahead of FFXI and Eve for hardcore. And they haven't made it any easier because honestly, the people that still play the almost 20 year old game play it BECAUSE it's hardcore.

To really get anywhere in the game you need to expect to spend a great deal of time grinding away. Now, if you just want to play around with the game I'd recommend going to the Test server where you can play most of the game for free, have double XP at all times PLUS you start at level 25, and people generally give you free platinum since there's no real auction house and they can just keep copying it back over.

LiteraryDouble
Nov 28, 2014

Hello friends.

Medullah posted:

To really get anywhere in the game you need to expect to spend a great deal of time grinding away.

I rather enjoy the grinding and social aspect thus far.

I've just been a bit shy about trying to lead my own groups, as I'm not that familiar with the game. So I'm mostly reliant on other people inviting me.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

LiteraryDouble posted:

Started playing this game on the Phinny progression server.

After getting into a guild, being gifted a bunch of free stuff, and grinding my way to 35, I've learned that most of Everquest is sitting in places waiting to find a group.

Having said group... is a mixed experience.

Yesterday my ToFS group pulled the "boss" monster of the floor somehow, wiping us. Went AFK for a smoke, to find that I'd been ported by my group as a favor to Commonlands' druid ring. Which would be really nice, except I'm a necromancer hostile to the druids there, and I immediately ate poo poo again.

Fast forward to today, two and a half hours of not finding a group and counting. Start soloing in Dawnshroud peaks. Only able to kill two or three mobs in one go before having to sit for mana. Grind a whopping 9 percent of my level this way.

Then a train of mushrooms walks by behind some dude and proceed to stomp my rear end into the dirt, erasing the last two and a half hours of progress.

10/10 quality entertainment, would pay $14.99 again.

This checks out. Yep, definitely Everquest.

Some advice though, take it for what it's worth. DSP is a tough place to solo. Luclin mobs are much tougher compared to Kunark or classic mobs of the same level. At 35 there are better places to solo.

When you're actively engaged in a fight, pull the mob away from where other mobs might path through. Usually to a zone edge or wall. My guess is that guy with the train was either quad-kiting or running to the zone line and wasn't considerate enough to avoid bringing the agro to you. Try to FD and hope for the best.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I never played luclin in era, but you can probably solo hill giants in rathe mountains. They give a lot of plat and are/used to be worth a lot of xp. There's a few focuses you should get, like affliction efficiency, and burning affliction. Then pop on the mob with mid-level snare and cast your most damage per cast, or damage per mana DOTs; whichever one fits your likes. Your most modern and second most modern fire dot are probably the most efficient. Eventually once you figure out how many Dots to cast per mob, you just run around with like 2-3 mobs snared/dotted. Lich/lifetap to top yourself off on hp and mana, rinse repeat. It's pretty relaxing, you can solo around in classic like that with basically 0 gear if you're having trouble in the other expansions.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
EQ1 is definitely harcore for an MMO, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it more hardcore than EVE.

When I started on phinny last week I thought it would be a smart thing to play a class that can somewhat solo, for those times you can't find a group. But I'm pleased to say the grouping scene is quite alright and if you really can't find a group in one of the more popular exp zones it takes very little time and effort to get two or three people and form a new one. Solo exp is just so much worse.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

LiteraryDouble posted:

I would stay far away from Luclin for soloing, mobs get significantly tougher as you advance through each expansion. If you can, solo in the Classic old world, although solo spots are rather few and narrow in level range. Kunark has quite a bit more spots, Velious is also so-so.

What level and class are you now? Maybe I can give you some tips for some spots to solo.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
A part from the newbie/lowbie zones where things just fall over after a couple of swings, I believe Luclin was also the first expansion with a huge HP bloat on mobs at higher levels.
Some raid mobs I especially remember having an enormous HP pool, with I believe the THO in The Deep had the most perhaps outside of Vex Thall where I don't have many memories of.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Each expansion, if you're playing in-era, has a pretty notable HP bump. Luclin mobs have notably more than Velious, which had notably more than Kunark, which had notably more than Vanilla.

Also, on Phinny, don't solo. It's garbage exp.

Once you're doing AAs you can see progress when solo'ing, but a good group can get 2-3 AAs an hour. So again, you want to group. That's how Phinny was designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
What guild on phinny has some goons in it?
(I hope it's not a goon guild tho, those things usually crash and burn with threads and forums full of drama... I don't need any more of that since my GF moved in a few years ago).