Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

DemonMage posted:

Is there any compelling reason to play it over Fantasy War Tactics, which seems to be basically the same thing but is an established game?

No idea, not played that. Looks very similar though, although getting in at the start with the bonus of being in CBT has it's appeal to me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

DemonMage posted:

Is there any compelling reason to play it over Fantasy War Tactics, which seems to be basically the same thing but is an established game?

Huh I had no idea this existed. I'll check it out.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
There's a thread for it here . It's a fun game, thought the story is pants-on-head retarded.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Roid666 posted:

Well, War of Crown CBT is over. What are peoples thoughts?

I quite enjoyed it, was different enough from the other Summoner wars type games I've played (League of Angels, Star Wars GoH, Light, Summoner Wars and a few other I can't remember!). Having auto-battle from the get go was great.

PVP matchmaking needs a bit of work, but I guess that will come in time. Only tried it a few times and got put off buy getting stomped with characters that were far superior to mine.

Not sure about the drop rates, with all the free garnets they dished out I ended up multiple versions of the same 4 star character and never saw any of some of the cool ones I used from other people. Gold seems a bit of a bottleneck too.

Will definitely play on release, if only to use see if I get the $50 of gems, roll the gatcha with them, swear about the lovely drops rates and quit :)

This is pretty much how I felt about the beta as well. It was interesting to play one if these type of games when it's new and not have a wiki full of unit tier lists and guides.

My biggest concern is the gotcha drop rates once the game goes live and you aren't showed in garnets. I had one 10+1 pull that was 9 of the useless 3 star monsters, one 3 star human character and then the auto 4 star. Since there was no other way to get usable characters in the beta, a pull like this would cripple your account.

I liked that you could use a friend's character as much as you wanted, and that when you used a random character to help you it wasn't crippled in some arbitrary way like many of these games do. It was a bit odd you couldn't send a friend request to someone after using their character.

I was also not impressed by the PvP, the quasi draft system seemed really out of place. I don't think I would do it more then the once a day for the quest, but no way would I want to do the 30 matches for the weekly quest.

Overall I am looking forward to release and seeing how it plays without all the garnets and unlimited stamina. I just really hope I get Kindle, he wasn't my strongest unit but who doesn't love a red panda pirate sniper =3

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
yeah war of crown has some interesting ideas but the PvP, which seems to be like, half the game, was really stilted and weird. i got matched against a 1200 dude on my first match, he had full six stars already.

i got lucky and pulled something like 20 4* and 1 5* with the shower of gems they gave, but i don't think it'll be like that on launch. I know we're supposed to get 20$ worth of stuff for particpating, and if you were nuts enough to get a 6* during CBT you get an additional 20$, but i think that'll translate out to one, maybe two, 11 pulls.

the story was fine, the adventure mode was fine, art was good, and the autopilot is pretty decent, so it's definitely fun but i think i'l ltry tactics war again before open beta for this. i think i petered out 30 minutes in last time i tried it and don't remember much of it

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Tbh I found getting a 6 star much much easier in this game than the others I mentioned.

Auto not being totally garbage meant I did play it quite a lot while doing other stuff.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So it's been a while since I've sifted around these kind of threads.

Any good match-3 esque games come out lately? Specifically one that doesn't need a net connection? I've already played most of the mainstays (War Games, Dungeon Raid, YMBAB/10000000, etc...), so I'm just asking if there are any recent gems.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a million card game apps out there, are there any particular stand-outs?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Since there was no Animation Throwdown guild, I've started Animation Masturbation. Give me your usernames and I will give you an invite.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Since there was no Animation Throwdown guild, I've started Animation Masturbation. Give me your usernames and I will give you an invite.

Is that going to be a sub forum for all my Family Guy/Bob's Burgers crossover erotic fan fiction?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I may have just accidentally rule 34rd Tina-Meg slash into existence. I'm sorry.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

YggiDee posted:

There's a million card game apps out there, are there any particular stand-outs?

The big ones are Hearthstone and the Magic The Gathering ones as they are done by their respective game companies that have big budgets. Both are free with IAP that isn't really needed.

I prefer Hearthstone but mainly because I have so much time invested in it already. It is also cross platform so you can play on PC, phone & tablet all on the same account with the same card pool/decks.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Do keep in mind Hearthstone is designed to be an actual card game, the f2p is more of a marketing gimmick/demo. You do get enough gold for a free pack every other day. But you are expected to spend about $40-80 when you first start and spend some cash each expansion, which usually comes about every 4 months or so.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

FadedReality posted:

It's a TD game. I only played the first couple of missions and it seems to be aping Gemcraft a bit in its UI design. Will report back if its good when I get a chance to play more.

Dungeon Warfare is really good and can be pretty challenging. It does crib some mechanics and UI that I first saw in Gemcraft like being able to activate difficulty modifiers that multiply XP gain like only having a single life or enemy HP regen. It hits a nice balance between grinding to brute force a level and good trap placement by only giving you whatever additional XP you've gained from the higher XP multipliers when repeating levels.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shwqa posted:

Do keep in mind Hearthstone is designed to be an actual card game, the f2p is more of a marketing gimmick/demo. You do get enough gold for a free pack every other day. But you are expected to spend about $40-80 when you first start and spend some cash each expansion, which usually comes about every 4 months or so.
It depends what you want to get out of it, if you want to slack and play casually for free you can, and you can always put your free money to Arenas where the suitcase players have no advantage other than their knowledge. Of course by now a lot of other games have cribbed that draft run model so you don't have to play Hearthstone to play that way if you find you enjoy it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

FadedReality posted:

Dungeon Warfare is really good and can be pretty challenging. It does crib some mechanics and UI that I first saw in Gemcraft like being able to activate difficulty modifiers that multiply XP gain like only having a single life or enemy HP regen. It hits a nice balance between grinding to brute force a level and good trap placement by only giving you whatever additional XP you've gained from the higher XP multipliers when repeating levels.

Bought this on Steam and can confirm it's really good. I wish it would crib from Gemcraft on allowing you to call next waves sooner/immediately/all at once for at least bonus XP if not bonus gold instead of the weak call you can do once the wave stone starts blinking for nothing past keeping the kill streak going, but I really dig it otherwise - it reminds me heavily of Orcs Must Die! but in a much more easily surveyed 2D format. I haven't really reached the parts where Trinity is actually encumbering yet but I like the look of all the ?s in the upgrade menu which will undoubtedly make it incredibly painful.

P.S. it's cheaper on mobile than Steam by $1 right now, and that's with the sale for half off, get it this way if your device can handle it and you have the spare cash!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I may have just accidentally rule 34rd Tina-Meg slash into existence. I'm sorry.

lol like that didn't totally already exist

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks, but I probably should have specified, I meant more like solitaire / rummy / hearts card games. "Traditional" card games?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, there are a shitload of those on every mobile platform. pick a few of the highest rated ones and go nuts.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Shadowverse I feel is substantially better than Hearthstone and has a better mobile app.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

YggiDee posted:

Thanks, but I probably should have specified, I meant more like solitaire / rummy / hearts card games. "Traditional" card games?

Sage Solitaire.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
So after playing Fantasy War Tactics, yeah it is leagues better and more refined than War of Crown. Simple UI things like auto-retry which just play stages for you until your stamina runs out, different zones and side quests and Things To Do, hell even the PvP is a lot better

I'll see if they add anything in WoC but I can't recommend it over FWT

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Guns X Zombies is a great little anime zombie shooter/bullet hell game. Super :3:, but there are only 2 currencies, and the game is pretty straight forward. Not sure if you need a Japanese google account or not, but TunnelBear is a great VPN app for that, and itself is an all around good thing to have anyways.

Fun as hell. I played it for an hour and a half straight and only stopped to post about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PK7EOWCiGc

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Red Warrior posted:

Sage Solitaire.

Thanks, this is really good and I think I just lost two hours of my life to this.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Guns X Zombies is a great little anime zombie shooter/bullet hell game. Super :3:, but there are only 2 currencies, and the game is pretty straight forward. Not sure if you need a Japanese google account or not, but TunnelBear is a great VPN app for that, and itself is an all around good thing to have anyways.

Fun as hell. I played it for an hour and a half straight and only stopped to post about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PK7EOWCiGc

Seems like it's available in Mexico. :v:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Seems like many of Noodlecake published games are really good.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Also just got Implosion - Never lose hope and damnit if Rayark doesn't make some stylish loving games. This has a huge Zone of Enders feel to it, which can be good or bad depending on how :awesomelon: you are. The voice acting in this one is surprisingly good, and the opening video is also pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xDaim2Br4Y

:suspense:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm installing the new PewDiePie game

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

So after playing Fantasy War Tactics, yeah it is leagues better and more refined than War of Crown. Simple UI things like auto-retry which just play stages for you until your stamina runs out, different zones and side quests and Things To Do, hell even the PvP is a lot better

I'll see if they add anything in WoC but I can't recommend it over FWT

Cool, thanks for the trip report, will give it a go!

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

If there's a negative thing to say about FWT it's that it has way too much content that is way too padded. Sounds weird, but before quitting the game I had it open nearly the whole day and did different things constantly. That's cool if you're fine with autoing everything with average success but if you want to play in the big leagues one day (read: help in guild raiding) you have to actively play and micromanage your minions for stages that are either way too long (Library) or way too repetitive (hero islands). Personally I like to fire and forget so something like Seven Knights is the perfect game for me. But if active, tactical play sounds like something that's right up your alley, this game is real good. You really need the correct characters with the right itemization to play the later stages.
I would be surprised if War of Crown will ever even get close to that, considering every map in the closed beta was completely forgettable and didn't influence anything.

Oh, and the p2w is really ugly in FWT. Heroes locked behind huge paywalls 50 bucks and more.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Oh, and the p2w is really ugly in FWT. Heroes locked behind huge paywalls 50 bucks and more.

How so? The only character that is buy-only is Seira, and the thread says she's good but not compelling.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Locked was probably the wrong word. What I meant was the availability and pricing. The Noblesse heroes are not available anymore and some of the strongest ones out there if I read the chatter correctly. It looks like heroes like Krut and Reina are coming back after all but I'd argue that a character like Krut is super important due to his strength and not really acquirable for a beginning player. And who knows when his island will come around again.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

If there's a negative thing to say about FWT it's that it has way too much content that is way too padded. Sounds weird, but before quitting the game I had it open nearly the whole day and did different things constantly. That's cool if you're fine with autoing everything with average success but if you want to play in the big leagues one day (read: help in guild raiding) you have to actively play and micromanage your minions for stages that are either way too long (Library) or way too repetitive (hero islands). Personally I like to fire and forget so something like Seven Knights is the perfect game for me. But if active, tactical play sounds like something that's right up your alley, this game is real good. You really need the correct characters with the right itemization to play the later stages.
I would be surprised if War of Crown will ever even get close to that, considering every map in the closed beta was completely forgettable and didn't influence anything.

Well if anything it'll give me something to do while waiting for WoC. Thanks for the heads up though!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, now with the prestige system in, I want to try doing Sky Force tournaments again, maybe they fixed it. Looking through my Play Games app, it seems my "Gamer ID" is Dex Stewart. Add me if you're interested.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CrashCat posted:

It depends what you want to get out of it, if you want to slack and play casually for free you can, and you can always put your free money to Arenas where the suitcase players have no advantage other than their knowledge.

Agreed. When I was big on Hearthstone, I reached a point where I realized I probably could hit legendary rank or go "infinite" in Arena mode if I practiced a lot, even as a free player. But I'm a lazy gamer most of the time, so I just enjoyed climbing up the monthly ladder to the point where it gets more tedious to advance, and saving my gold

And for the uninitiated, note that the phrase "go infinite in Arena" refers to how a player can play the draft mode for free, and earn loads of cards quickly, if they are good enough at it. Basically, if you can win more than X rounds on average for each arena run you do, you will make back more than your 150 gold entry fees, allowing you to play infinitely and earn way more cards than a player who just does their daily quests.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 5, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dancer posted:

Hey, now with the prestige system in, I want to try doing Sky Force tournaments again, maybe they fixed it. Looking through my Play Games app, it seems my "Gamer ID" is Dex Stewart. Add me if you're interested.

Assuming the Gamer ID is what shows up on the main page of Play Games, I'm spartanhooah.

I can't find you in Play Games.

hooah fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 5, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
MAXIMUM CAR is a new pixelated 3D racer that plays a lot like Burnout. Its pretty fun, though it gets a bit silly at times (the game doesn't take itself very seriously).

edit: Protip: turn off the announcer in the settings

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 5, 2016

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Am I missing something with Cthulhu Realms? I mean I love me some Cthulhu mythos, but man is the game ridiculously complicated. I just tried the tutorial and the point where it leaves you and tells you you should be able to win on my own, I was staring in bafflement at the cards unable to piece anything together.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Rapner posted:

Shadowverse I feel is substantially better than Hearthstone and has a better mobile app.

I liked Shadowverse as well, it's fun enough and has some interesting mechanics. Hearthstone is a good game and the adventures are fun but the mobile app is sooooo slow and it's hard to keep up with the new expansions/cards if you stop playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

hooah posted:

Assuming the Gamer ID is what shows up on the main page of Play Games, I'm spartanhooah.

I can't find you in Play Games.

I found you, but I can't find any Add Friend button (and I forget how I did it last time we tried to get tournaments running).