Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

haveblue posted:

Who won the debate

Pence won for himself and lost for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Night10194 posted:

If Pence really is trying to cut himself loose from Trump and set up for 2020, it absolutely proves he's the poor man's Ted Cruz. That's a Zodiac move, it is.

I was thinking about this while taking a piss; he did take a page out of Cruz's handbook. Be an opportunistic rear end in a top hat and just lie through your teeth about everything.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

vyelkin posted:

This is in Virginia, probably the most pro-Tim Kaine place in the country.

Ok, that helps explain it. Still, if undecided voters in Virginia are as turned off by Pence as these seem to have been, that's one firewall state further reinforced. So I'll take that I suppose!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

haveblue posted:

Who won the debate

Kaine on substance, Pence on style. It's a wash and won't really help either campaign and it's not the hail mary the Trump campaign needed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Yeah I keep going back and forth on what happens to Pence after this. He's been a pretty big nothingburger all campaign, but the GOP will be looking for answers after Trump loses, especially if he loses bigly. The answer they'll probably settle on is "Trump was not a true conservative," and what happens to Pence in that case? He'll be the idiot who hitched his boat to the fake conservative orange man. At least Cruz has the plausible deniability of saying he hadn't necessarily endorsed Trump, just that he had stated an intent to vote for him.

Or maybe they'll both get steamrolled as the GOP decides their best chance is noted dumb motherfucker Tom Cotton.

Pence would be a Democratic nightmare, but I'm not convinced he could swing his way through a Republican primary. He's not loud or obvious enough about his utter reprehensibility and his slick used-car salesman shtick won't work with the rabid base of the Republican Party demanding red meat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Quorum posted:

Ok, that helps explain it. Still, if undecided voters in Virginia are as turned off by Pence as these seem to have been, that's one firewall state further reinforced. So I'll take that I suppose!

Kaine's purpose on the ticket is Ensure Virginia, Have No Scandals.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Pence purposely ignored independent or moderate voters. It's really simple that he would lose overwhelmingly among those groups.

He knows that his campaign's best outcome is that everyone who showed up to vote R in 2012 actually shows up this time also.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
CSPAN is all old people calling in and unironically saying "Killary"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lightning Knight posted:

Pence makes me skin crawl when he talks

Me too, he's in the uncanny valley for me because of his expressions, cadence and body language. It's like watching one of those alien lizards wearing human skin in V, or one of those psychopathic pharma reps who go before Congress and cry their crocodile tears about how $50 profit per Epipen just isn't enough.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

it makes sense

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ImpAtom posted:

I do not loving understand undecided voters.

Neither do undecided voters, really. They're basically the whale but not the petunias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h02a2HSB58M

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I only listened to a few minutes and they both sounded dumb

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

iospace posted:

Kaine on substance, Pence on style. It's a wash and won't really help either campaign and it's not the hail mary the Trump campaign needed.

The idea of an unexpected Hail Mary winning the game on a fluke triggers me as a Georgia football fan, and I would appreciate it if you never mention this possibility again.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
On the plus side: Pence's Putin-bashing has probably earned him a dose of polonium-210 in his sushi.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

withak posted:

He knows that his campaign's best outcome is that everyone who showed up to vote R in 2012 actually shows up this time also.

It means you won't lose by 8-10%, but you will lose by 3-8%.

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

ImpAtom posted:

I do not loving understand undecided voters.

I think they're ESL students. Whenever a candidate uses a short, pithy phrase that they can hear and translate they get excited. Both had those but Kaine made it part of his overall strategy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lightning Knight posted:

Pence would be a Democratic nightmare, but I'm not convinced he could swing his way through a Republican primary. He's not loud or obvious enough about his utter reprehensibility and his slick used-car salesman shtick won't work with the rabid base of the Republican Party demanding red meat.

Arguably. He's like Kasich. Decent on the surface, but tons of stuff that rile up dems and get them to vote against that in his actions.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Night10194 posted:

Kaine's purpose on the ticket is Ensure Virginia, Have No Scandals.

Also to avoid scaring white men.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Glad to hear Kaine did hit Pence back for his stupid poo poo. After hearing "[Hillary/Kaine's]Campaign is one of insults" I just had to stop watching. I can't sit for 90 minutes listening to someone deny reality AND be loving boring as poo poo about it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Kaine got schooled. This was the same Pence we have seen on the trail since the day he was picked, and Kaine was just completely ill prepared to deal with him.

People are going to excuse away this performance and say no one cares about the VP debate, but a lot of those suburban Republicans that Trump has lost to Hillary who tuned in would see the brand of Republican that they used to like in the past in Pence, and Kaine came across as flailing and weak.

No one is going to care about fact checking the next day. When the voters were watching, Kaine hosed up big time when he should have had been ready to nail an evasive lying Pence to the wall.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
ahahaha "Let me tell you about Singapore, they know how to keep undesirables (EXACT QUOTE) out of their country"

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

haveblue posted:

Who won the debate

You did, since you didn't watch it. You won big time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HannibalBarca posted:

The idea of an unexpected Hail Mary winning the game on a fluke triggers me as a Georgia football fan, and I would appreciate it if you never mention this possibility again.

As a Packers fan: :flip: Rodgers to Rodgers baby!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Filthy Hans posted:

Me too, he's in the uncanny valley for me because of his expressions, cadence and body language. It's like watching one of those alien lizards wearing human skin in V, or one of those psychopathic pharma reps who go before Congress and cry their crocodile tears about how $50 profit per Epipen just isn't enough.

I had the shadow of an idea of what women feel like when some creepy dude is hitting on them. He might say all the right things and be polite on a surface level, but like fifty million alarm bells are saying "nope, bad, nope the gently caress out of this poo poo."

iospace posted:

Arguably. He's like Kasich. Decent on the surface, but tons of stuff that rile up dems and get them to vote against that in his actions.

Agreed, but I meant more in the sense of appearances, debates, and the like. He wouldn't fall apart into silly stupidity or have really easy to bait class issues like Trump or Romney. I'm not saying Democrats couldn't beat him, just that he would be really aggravating in the same way Paul Ryan is.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TyrantWD posted:

Kaine got schooled. This was the same Pence we have seen on the trail since the day he was picked, and Kaine was just completely ill prepared to deal with him.

People are going to excuse away this performance and say no one cares about the VP debate, but a lot of those suburban Republicans that Trump has lost to Hillary who tuned in would see the brand of Republican that they used to like in the past in Pence, and Kaine came across as flailing and weak.

No one is going to care about fact checking the next day. When the voters were watching, Kaine hosed up big time when he should have had been ready to nail an evasive lying Pence to the wall.

This is the only thing people will care about, because nobody was watching. They'll get all their views of the debate from coverage tomorrow morning, which will include side-by-side fact checking.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Goatman Sacks posted:

ahahaha "Let me tell you about Singapore, they know how to keep undesirables (EXACT QUOTE) out of their country"

Don't they literally beat the poo poo out of people for littering

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

haveblue posted:

Who won the debate

The people who spent the hour and half doing literally anything else

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Undecided VIRGINIAN voters, I think that makes a difference.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TyrantWD posted:

Actually, nobody cares about the VP debates. Sorry!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Quorum posted:

Virginia is basically an extension of Washington DC the state at this point. Kaine is bringing nothing to the table.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pence's negatives are not going to disappear 4 years from now, and what positives he managed to show in this debate are not going to win this campaign for Trump. Best case scenario is this makes Pence a front-runner in 2020 and all the poo poo Kaine punted on here can be used against him then. The Republicans are not going to win any more presidential elections by depending on the religious right, and tying them to it for another election cycle can only be good for Democratic prospects.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Probably the sanest takes on the night:
https://twitter.com/CarlBialik/status/783504628856029184

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Reminder:

Trump has another debate in less than a week.

Against Hillary Clinton.

With questions asked by everyday citizens.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OH HEY, GUESS WHAT

IN FIVE WEEKS AROUND THIS TIME, CALIFORNIA AND THE WEST COAST CLOSES.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Mike Pence is not talking anyone off the ledge

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

remusclaw posted:

Pence's negatives are not going to disappear 4 years from now, and what positives he managed to show in this debate are not going to win this campaign for Trump. Best case scenario is this makes Pence a front-runner in 2020 and all the poo poo Kaine punted on here can be used against him then. The Republicans are not going to win any more presidential elections by depending on the religious right, and tying them to it for another election cycle can only be good for Democratic prospects.

They're probably gonna get worse, since he is gonna spend the next 4 years on the talk show circuit, rather than in office

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, Pence 'won' in the short term but has a lot of questions to answer and did nothing to actually right Trump's campaign. Having your VP essentially deny your platform is not a great idea.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones posted:

That was a legitimately frustrating thing to watch. Ugh. Kaine, you disappointed me so much and made me legitimately grateful that the VP debate doesn't matter.

At the least Pence contradicted himself/Trump/reality so often that there should be a few good "I/Trump never said that" *yes he did* videos made with clips from this cut with past stuff. He looked a bit better in the debate, but post-debate reality hopefully won't be kind to him.

Reposting this here while I catch up on the thread, which somehow has a lot more posts than the actual debate thread from the same time period it seems.

Glad to see most people, here and in other places, basically agree with me on the outcome here though.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

iospace posted:

As a Packers fan: :flip: Rodgers to Rodgers baby!

As someone who isn't a Packers fan, that facemask penalty was bullshit. You should of lost. :flip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
CSPAN has taught me that old women hate Hillary and can't die fast enough

• Locked thread