Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I vacillate from day to day between flight, teleportation, and much less frequently, super-strength.

If you remember the film Jumper, the novel it's based on is much, much better and has stuck with me for a while, when it comes time to decide what comic-book super-powers I would want to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Reality warping because then I can have all the superpowers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Reality warping because then I can have all the superpowers

Yeah seriously that or something like impossible man or the/a beyonder, but if we're not cheating maybe America Chavez's powerset?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If I had to pick one power I'd pick the ability to heal others. (And ideally myself but y'know, if has to be one.) Just the ability to go "and now you're all better" to someone with cancer or something is basically the best thing I can imagine. (and why I always get annoyed when super-healing-others-thing is downplayed to just being the team healer.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd have the power of being the guy your obnoxious childhood friend was who had whatever superpower was necessary to win, no matter how outlandish. You know the one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want a power to let me know when events are about to happen so I can go in the other direction.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Have they ever shown what it's like inside the cacoon? I think it was the Kingpin Civil War series that showed part of it and it seems loving intense. I assume you're at least filled in on what's happening while you're in there. It's gotta suck to get knocked out by this weird mist and then wake up without any kind of real pysical body, just a giant non-verbal door.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kamala had pretty vivid visions of Carol and other heroes she loves, plus hulk hands hedgehog. She told vision Carol that she wanted to be like her, but with the old sexy costume and wedge heels.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ImpAtom posted:

If I had to pick one power I'd pick the ability to heal others. (And ideally myself but y'know, if has to be one.) Just the ability to go "and now you're all better" to someone with cancer or something is basically the best thing I can imagine. (and why I always get annoyed when super-healing-others-thing is downplayed to just being the team healer.)

I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a comic about someone with that power, and it's probably depressing as gently caress.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it would be pretty cool to be able to explode things with your mind.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
See that's why I'd choose a healing factor if I was in comics. Hopefully i could avoid all the terrible experiments that Wolverine and everyone else had to go to. But I am in Canada so department H probably would have taken me or something.

But yea, healing factor you'd never get sick, never have to worry about a deadly illness. The normal wear and tear on your body would not exist. You could eat whatever you wanted and not have to worry about diabetes or anything.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Healing factors are cool and all, but just hear me out here... laser beam eyes.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just want to be the god drat Juggernaut.

50% for the powers, 50% for the helmet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'd have the power of being the guy your obnoxious childhood friend was who had whatever superpower was necessary to win, no matter how outlandish. You know the one.

Dr. Doom parachute account spotted.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a comic about someone with that power, and it's probably depressing as gently caress.

One of the main characters of the 4400 had that power [Well it was more life manipulation, so he could heal people and kill them], and it could be pretty lovely and crass.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I want whatever the gently caress Stardust the super-wizard's power set is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I want whatever the gently caress Stardust the super-wizard's power set is.

Endless Mike posted:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: Thought this was the Funny Panels thread, fml. Sorry!

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 3, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mulva posted:

One of the main characters of the 4400 had that power [Well it was more life manipulation, so he could heal people and kill them], and it could be pretty lovely and crass.

There was also the one who gained the power to give 50% of all other people superpowers, and gruesomely kill the other 50% by giving them massive brain aneurysms.

It's a shame The 4400 didn't get a definitive ending. It had an ending, but it was pretty open-ended. I know there's a trilogy of novels but I've no idea if they resolve the series satisfactorily.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unworthy Thor #1 art preview http://www.cbr.com/preview-the-unworthy-thor-1/

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I am really not super excited for Odinson getting his powers back, tbh. He's been an interesting character through Hickman's run and beyond without them and it doesn't add a whole lot to the universe to have two Thors running around.

The only way I can think of this being really interesting is if the hammer, being from Battleworld, is still tuned to serving Doom's law as it's ideal of "worthiness", and this turns out to be a Dr. Doom/Thor suprise team up book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Healing factors are cool and all, but just hear me out here... laser beam eyes.

They're concussion beams Marie!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this markov bot is a pretty good power generator

https://twitter.com/WYR_bot/status/783049094747095040

https://twitter.com/WYR_bot/status/783003788307202053

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mover posted:

I am really not super excited for Odinson getting his powers back, tbh. He's been an interesting character through Hickman's run and beyond without them and it doesn't add a whole lot to the universe to have two Thors running around.

What about the solid 20 years where there was usually more than one Thor running around?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Beta Ray Bill is his own man :colbert:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Had this conversation too many times over the years.

I don't want any powers.

(so in this scenario, I'd run from the mists).

It's the whole "great power..." thing. I mean, if I suddenly gained invulnerable skin or healing touch or flight or whatever, I'd lie awake at night feeling guilty I wasn't helping others every waking moment. And yeah, you could be a villain. But you'd lie awake at night wondering about your next caper and if there's a counter to you out there (nature finds a way, etc).

Too much pressure. Pass.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mover posted:

The only way I can think of this being really interesting is if the hammer, being from Battleworld, is still tuned to serving Doom's law as it's ideal of "worthiness", and this turns out to be a Dr. Doom/Thor suprise team up book.

He's going to team up with Beta Ray Bill, and have space adventures. Book is going to rule.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

I would counter that he's not been in enough stuff to prove himself a good character. Like, yeah, him using the unworthy Thorr's hammer and then becoming worthy right before dying was rad as hell, but he really only had that very brief moment in Time Runs Out. Aaron only really wrote him in Jane's intro arc before Secret Wars, then he promptly disappeared. And I would say both writers wrote him just as well if not better with the hammer.

You're not wrong to say you wish Odinson wouldn't be getting repowered so soon, but I'm saying that the character of "powerless Thor" is so unexplored I can hardly mourn his loss.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ferrule posted:

I don't want any powers.

It's the whole "great power..." thing. I mean, if I suddenly gained invulnerable skin or healing touch or flight or whatever, I'd lie awake at night feeling guilty I wasn't helping others every waking moment. And yeah, you could be a villain. But you'd lie awake at night wondering about your next caper and if there's a counter to you out there (nature finds a way, etc).

Too much pressure. Pass.

Did you know? You can help people without powers!

Enjoy your newfound insomnia.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ferrule posted:

I don't want any powers.

Too much pressure. Pass.

- Foggy Nelson

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'd like teleportation (you could teleport into someone to kill them, ala Unreal Tournament), or failing that, super-speed.

Quite stoked for Unworthy Thor. I like Olivier Coipel's art.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Coipel is a great Thor artist. Coipel drawing Thor in space is divine. People dog on Fraction's run, but Odin vs Galactus, and Thor vs Silver Surfer makes me a happy boy.

I didn't like Thor at all growing up, but as an adult, Thor having space adventures is my favorite thing in comics. Like, you expect a lot of magic stuff in Thor, but his book introduced stuff like the Rigellian Recorder, Ego the Living Planet, and the secret origin of Galactus as viewed through Odin's cosmic television.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Coipel is a great Thor artist. Coipel drawing Thor in space is divine. People dog on Fraction's run, but Odin vs Galactus, and Thor vs Silver Surfer makes me a happy boy.

I didn't like Thor at all growing up, but as an adult, Thor having space adventures is my favorite thing in comics. Like, you expect a lot of magic stuff in Thor, but his book introduced stuff like the Rigellian Recorder, Ego the Living Planet, and the secret origin of Galactus as viewed through Odin's cosmic television.

I want Ribic to come back and draw Thor with a goat chariot hurtling through space, because I'm running out of van art to spray on vans! :mad:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jiro posted:

I want Ribic to come back and draw Thor with a goat chariot hurtling through space, because I'm running out of van art to spray on vans! :mad:

Dude, just stop buying vans. Don't you think you have enough?!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dude, just stop buying vans. Don't you think you have enough?!

I CAN QUIT WHENEVER I WANT TO!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Champions #1 was pretty promising I think especially as the ending suggests that it the group that was publicised will just be the core group and other young heros will turn up too. It feels a bit like the antithesis of the Civil War II, and really a lot of the recent marvel crossovers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anime_Otaku posted:

Champions #1 was pretty promising I think especially as the ending suggests that it the group that was publicised will just be the core group and other young heros will turn up too. It feels a bit like the antithesis of the Civil War II, and really a lot of the recent marvel crossovers.

Holy poo poo if Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur join this will be my favorite team ever

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Champions is basically the only book getting pre-orders for marvel at the comic shops, otherwise it's becoming a thing that many of them are upset at the poor sales Marvels giving them, and Marvels solution is "You have to order even more books to get the variants."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Champions ruled. I'll take the heavy South Park speech at the end if that's just what it needs to make the statement and get going.
It does make you wonder where this happens in relation to The Vision solo.

Death of X wasn't too interesting yet, unless you're a Madrox fan, I suppose...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Neurosis posted:

become so rotund they can only move by rolling and the unfairness of the world continues.

Ronnie from that Whomp webcomic: newest breakout superhero.

• Locked thread