Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

they fed maureen dowd a bunch of pot brownies to come to this conclusion

The Glumslinger has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

i am practically turgid at the NIMBY meltdown about to ensue in MA you have no idea

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

i am practically turgid at the NIMBY meltdown about to ensue in MA you have no idea

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

mass is the weirdest state, because it's ostensibly liberal but super morally puritan. reminder that we only were the first in the nation on gay marriage because of a court ruling, not legislature.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
MN is weird in that we're super liberal but just hate weed, even though I've never personally met someone strongly opposed to legalization, it polls terribly here.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It might be that Iowa has better growing conditions for weed than Minnesota, and the farmers know that legalization won't benefit them as much.

The X-man cometh has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Sep 28, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i guarantee you religion and culture has way more to do with current polling than any sort of calculated agricultural economics

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

how do the various legalization frameworks fit into agribusiness anyway? in colorado it seems like most of the growing is indoors but i did notice some outdoor weed being marketed as 'sungrown' or some such thing. is there a real chance of, like, 500,000 acres of indica just lined up next to the interstate in flyover country someday?

im guessing the difficulties with banking are 99% of the reason it's not already happening (lack of interstate trade also cuts at the potential profit margin no doubt), but i could imagine a moral panic situation if they really superscaled it

a pretty large part of the flow in some of the rivers up in humboldt and neighboring counties in northwest CA is getting taken up by illegal weed irrigation, i've heard, to the detriment of fish and stuff, so i've heard some hope that legalization will allow those guys to be brought within the legal water rights framework. i bet it'll take a while

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

oystertoadfish posted:

how do the various legalization frameworks fit into agribusiness anyway? in colorado it seems like most of the growing is indoors but i did notice some outdoor weed being marketed as 'sungrown' or some such thing. is there a real chance of, like, 500,000 acres of indica just lined up next to the interstate in flyover country someday?

I don't know about 500,000 acres, but this is the case in Oregon, you'll drive right by it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

weed is easy to grow and indica is practically designed for western colorado

if things stay the way they are currently, i don't see any reason why cannabis wouldn't soon become a fairly visible outdoor crop

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the price drop over the past year has been very tangible, and i'm in texas. once CA legalizes, near 100% of colorado's excess product will be heading east

if everything goes okay in the northeast, once a couple harvests are brought in, i think you'll see a potentially massive price collapse in every region of the country but the deep south

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Karl Barks posted:

I don't know about 500,000 acres, but this is the case in Oregon, you'll drive right by it

oh word

yeah i hope i have a chance to drive up there sometime id like to visit portland and i havent been to seattle since i was a kid

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That doesn't help me, living in the deep south. gently caress :v:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Well Florida (and Arkansas?) have medical on the ballot this year so hopefully we will begin to see some movement down south soon. Still progress will be slow because Mississippi, Arkansas and Florida are the only southern states with voter ballot initiative and we all know the sort of turds that fill southern legislatures.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh so interesting twist on Marijuana votes:

So way back in 2014, Oregon was one of the states to legalize recreational marijuana. Several counties had more than 55% of their voters vote against the proposition. Because of this, these counties had the option to prohibit sales and growing* of marijuana within their limits. The deadline to do this was last December.

For those counties that missed the deadline, they have ballot propositions this fall to vote on whether they want recreational marijuana businesses in their limits. There are separate questions for the individual cities (e.g., Albany) and unincorporated areas of the county (e.g., Linn County), and they cover marijuana producers, processors, wholesalers, and retailers.

In addition, there's also ballot propositions to add a 3% tax on the sales of marijuana (in all counties afaik, not just the banning ones). This is on top of the 17% tax the state has already said they have/would add(?). If a city bans marijuana sales in the area, they are not able to collect revenue from either the local or (iirc) the state taxes.

So tl;dr - vote in your local elections in oregon, lots of :420: stuff coming up.

*Excluding personal use, so basically just banning commercial farms

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Well Florida (and Arkansas?) have medical on the ballot this year so hopefully we will begin to see some movement down south soon. Still progress will be slow because Mississippi, Arkansas and Florida are the only southern states with voter ballot initiative and we all know the sort of turds that fill southern legislatures.

Florida's interesting since it got 57% (threshold 60%) in an off year. With an election year, Liberals turn out a lot harder which is presumably the big pro-weed base in the South. Idk about Mississippi and Alabama, but I'd like to see the polling.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Arizona might not be a clear "No"

N = 800 Registered voters
50% Yes
40% No
10% Undecided
3.4% MoE

If that poll accurately reflects what the vote will be, we might be headed for a clean loving sweep this November.

holy poo poo.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Florida's interesting since it got 57% (threshold 60%) in an off year. With an election year, Liberals turn out a lot harder which is presumably the big pro-weed base in the South. Idk about Mississippi and Alabama, but I'd like to see the polling.

I'm worried because they're bombarding the airwaves with anti-Amendment 2 ads here in Florida, like they did last time. The current ad is all about how your children are going to be able to buy gummy worms if it passes.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Arizona might not be a clear "No"

N = 800 Registered voters
50% Yes
40% No
10% Undecided
3.4% MoE

If that poll accurately reflects what the vote will be, we might be headed for a clean loving sweep this November.

holy poo poo.

To put this into perspective, 5.4% (~1 in 20) of Americans currently live in states with recreational cannabis legal. If there's a clean sweep this November, that number swells to 23.2%, or just under 1 in 4 Americans.

This doesn't even touch the fact that the New England states are going to see a lot of tourism/border hopping from metro areas like NYC/Connecticut.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

turnip kid posted:

I'm worried because they're bombarding the airwaves with anti-Amendment 2 ads here in Florida, like they did last time. The current ad is all about how your children are going to be able to buy gummy worms if it passes.

Itdk, the only ones I've heard are John Morgan advocating for it. Tbf, I usually listen to NPR so I don't actually hear any political ads all too often. Also, I think Morgan has larger recognition on the North Central region compared to the lower parts.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

same it will be glorious

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This doesn't even touch the fact that the New England states are going to see a lot of tourism/border hopping from metro areas like NYC/Connecticut.

This is the biggest deal about the whole thing. Denver is like a 2 hour flight from any major cities; Boston has Baltimore, DC, NYC, Philly, and then the massive population from jersey and the rest of new england all within 1.5 hours. Small personal possession is decriminalized pretty much everywhere up here except new hampshire I think, so while the population living in a state with legal weed will be 23%, the population with relatively easy access to legal weed will be much higher

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

good god just adding areas within an hour drive bumps the ratio to a hair under 1 in 3 (~31.5%) of americans

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Even though this it's just a matter of visual impression, if we get a clean sweep the literal displayed map of "legal states" is going to start looking really inevitable when a huge chunk of the American west is all sewn up and another branch sliding down from New England. Somehow it'll look just more impressive every time it pops up on the news than if it were the same number/mass of disjointed states.

I hope the Wikipedia graphics crew is on the ball to make some modifications to the graphics for the legal weed map once the results post.

EDIT: despite the NM legislature not getting around to putting weed on this November ballot (after tossing the ball around a good while), a January poll has NM in favor of legalization with 61%, so that's a ready population waiting for a shot, and would give a cleaner map linking in the Colorado exclave. Not that it matters hugely since you can't legally do weed interstate commerce, just saying the map would look cleaner.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Oct 4, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Beyond the 5 states voting this November, are there any comprehensive lists of states ranked by legalization polls to give some idea, in theory, which states are next in the hopper following 2016?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Montana, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri and possibly Illinois are all likely tries for 2018, but some may be shy in an off year election. Still, 2014 saw Alaska and Oregon go green so if they can do it in an off year states like Michigan and Montana are certainly viable.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oklahoma will for sure have medical on the ballot in 2018. No idea if it will pass in a midterm, though. :shrug:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Beyond the 5 states voting this November, are there any comprehensive lists of states ranked by legalization polls to give some idea, in theory, which states are next in the hopper following 2016?

I think we can all assume Utah will be the last to go

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think we can all assume Utah will be the last to go

You'd think that to one degree, but Utah was surprisingly quick to come over to (limited) medical well before the majority of states. But I think a good chunk of the South and a few Central states (Kansas, Wyoming) won't legalize internally until the Fed devolves it to solely a state issue internally like alcohol.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

You'd think that to one degree, but Utah was surprisingly quick to come over to (limited) medical well before the majority of states. But I think a good chunk of the South and a few Central states (Kansas, Wyoming) won't legalize internally until the Fed devolves it to solely a state issue internally like alcohol.

Which the president can do unilaterally and yet...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Dpost clucking about 5/5 possibility

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/10/04/recreational-marijuana-polls-election-2016/64599/

pretty exciting times

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I personally think Arizona is pretty important, and will end up being more than just a cherry on top of a good slate. With Nevada, it locks up the West Coast market, cementing the flow of illegal surplus to the east. It's also a huge border state, and combined with California will end trafficking from Mexico. Better still, it's full of semi-arid mountains, much of it land that's unsuitable for anything but indica. A 5/5 victory would really make this seem inevitable in a way that only 4/5 wouldn't.

ugh dang i'm gettin' excited

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Hello Cannabis thread I just saw a weed vote commercial in California during Seinfeld

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uh find it on youtube and post that poo poo

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Aliquid posted:

uh find it on youtube and post that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQGGfMc8FXE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

goddamn that's pro

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Colorado's reform of edibles just kicked in today. I forget what my wife said the exact limit is, I wanna say 800 mg of active ingredient is the new daily limit?
Anyways the laws are continuing to be tweaked and updated and I hope news of this sort of adaptation reaches the haters - it's not a blanket 'go hog wild' thing. They've been continually re-assessing the regs here ever since legalization started and if something is out of line they fix it.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I'm really pulling for Massachusetts to pass its recreational bill. Having a toehold in the North East is just as big as California legalizing it from my perspective as a selfish East Coaster. My state is bleeding deficits and cutting education while failing to tax fracking companies for the oil they extract beyond standard corporate taxes. As soon as that giant batch of retards, sometimes referred to as the state house and senate, realizes that we could cut our deficit by a third overnight they're going to start working towards recreational legalization.

I'm honestly just sick and tired of dealing with anything other than a licensed business run by professionals. This is going to be a great November. We're still a dumping ground for way overpriced poo poo of garbage quality and it's infuriating.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
saw my first Maine No on 1 signs.... in front of a local pot dealers house and a local head shop.... it is a mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Man Musk posted:

Hello Cannabis thread I just saw a weed vote commercial in California during Seinfeld

I saw that too lol

• Locked thread