Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Feenix posted:

But more recently, in the Apple Watch App on my iphone, I am trying to add my second debit card and it just spins endlessly when I hit the Add button.

Anyone else experienced this? Can the watch only have one card loaded? (Weird since it offers an Add button...)

Are you in Canada/trying to add an Interac debit card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Martytoof posted:

Are you in Canada/trying to add an Interac debit card?

No I'm in America trying to add a second Chase Debit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Feenix posted:

No I'm in America trying to add a second Chase Debit.

OK, sorry to hear you're having trouble then. Should be no issue adding additional cards, as others mentioned.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Martytoof posted:

OK, sorry to hear you're having trouble then. Should be no issue adding additional cards, as others mentioned.

Yeah weird. I even removed the card and readded it to my phone, etc... just hangs. Rebooted both devices... checked Apple Pay server is up.

You know, I do wonder if this and the Home Automation (not watch related) and the unlock iMac are all 10.1 public beta related...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got a new phone. Do I have to go through the unpair process on my old one first or is there a way to carry it over to the new one since I'm restoring a backup to the new phone?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just got a new phone. Do I have to go through the unpair process on my old one first or is there a way to carry it over to the new one since I'm restoring a backup to the new phone?

Phone will tell you what to do, you wipe the watch and the phone restores it. So yeah I guess its the unpair process.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yes, unpair on the old phone, which will make the Watch backup to your phone. THEN back up your old phone to restore to your new phone. Then repair.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, unpair on the old phone, which will make the Watch backup to your phone. THEN back up your old phone to restore to your new phone. Then repair.

I didn't unpair first, maybe I lost an hour or two of watch data or something I don't know.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How does unlocking your Mac with the Watch work? The first thing I do when I get home is take off my Watch and place it on its charging dock.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

How does unlocking your Mac with the Watch work? The first thing I do when I get home is take off my Watch and place it on its charging dock.

It has to be unlocked ie you have to be wearing it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

While wearing it, you go to your Mac and it spins for a second then unlocks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

While wearing it, you go to your Mac and it spins for a second then unlocks.

90% of the time it's "spins for a second" and then there's that 10% where you sit there thinking "man I could have typed in my password by now" but you've already invested all this time into waiting so --

I'm not going to lie though, it was super convenient for me cooking today. Looked up a recipe online and had my hands dirty so I didn't want to type my PW to unlock the screen when I went back to check.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My watch unlocking is also flaky. I'd say it's been about 50% successful so far. I guess I could stand to at least reboot both devices to see if it improves things, and I also suspect MacID might be interfering. I'm keeping that around, though, since they updated it for Sierra and it tap-to-password works again. Apple should really implement that into watchOS.

If it uses wifi, maybe that's it? My rMBP renews wifi if it's been sleeping for a while, which takes longer than the watch unlocking process. Dunno if that's a macOS thing or a "I need to configure my router better" thing.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 4, 2016

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I upgraded to a Series 1 and now both my old and new watch show up in the security preferences under auto unlock, and there's no way to get the old one to disappear even after removing it from my iCloud devices or whatever. #FirstWorldProblems LOL

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Is anyone else having trouble with Activity Sharing? It just hangs on the accept friend request prompt whenever I try and share with my girlfriend. Internet search isn't giving me anything.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got a free antiglare screen protector from one of those Amazon review scams that just got banned.

All I can say is: lol people buy these things? It makes the Watch look so cheap and plasticy. Don't buy these things.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I use Otterbox defenders for the belt clip I need for my job and he first thing I do when I get them is rip out the screen protector.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So if I got a Series 2 watch and turned off GPS and kept the screen at a decent brightness, would my battery last longer than the batter on a Series 1?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GPS is automatic. It only turns on if it's away from your phone.

But yeah, I've been getting better battery than my first generation.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rick Sanchez posted:

So if I got a Series 2 watch and turned off GPS and kept the screen at a decent brightness, would my battery last longer than the batter on a Series 1?

I don't think you need to turn off GPS, I think it'll only use that when using an exercise app without the phone present. I'm making that up but it makes sense.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I"m still surprised at how much battery I'm getting. Up at 5:40am, exercise mode during my walk/jog to the office, calendar notifications from 6:30 till 4, another jog/walk home, all the while I'm using the watch to control my phone's audio and doing the stupid breathing thing, etc.

This is basically the perfect gadget for me.

Once I get homekit stuff integrated I'm going to get so reliant on it to boot.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got a raspberrypi running Homebridge to fake my existing z-wave stuff as HomeKit-compliant.

It's mostly a party trick, but "hey Siri unlock the front door" from my watch feels like the future is now.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Martytoof posted:

I"m still surprised at how much battery I'm getting. Up at 5:40am, exercise mode during my walk/jog to the office, calendar notifications from 6:30 till 4, another jog/walk home, all the while I'm using the watch to control my phone's audio and doing the stupid breathing thing, etc.

This is basically the perfect gadget for me.

Once I get homekit stuff integrated I'm going to get so reliant on it to boot.

I'm having the same experience as you.

I've been wearing and using it for the last 8 hours, went for some exercise, replying to messages etc:

less than 15% battery used. This thing is awesome.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Yeast posted:

I'm having the same experience as you.

I've been wearing and using it for the last 8 hours, went for some exercise, replying to messages etc:

less than 15% battery used. This thing is awesome.

What the poo poo, I'm shutting off after 13 hours of light usage. Gonna do a fresh restore one more time then I give up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My battery life isn't anything like that, though it's still acceptable. I took it off after 13ish hours and it had 30% battery left.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm a light usage (so far) guy and I'm at 82% remaining and it's been on my wrist for 12 hours.

[Ed] S2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How are you guys doing screenshots?

Also I really want to write my film tracking watch app. I think I know what my thanksgiving weekend project is going to be.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You gotta turn on screenshot in general settings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Protip: Don't actually turn it on unless you want to get tons of screenshots every time it gets caught on a shirt sleeve.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Thanks for the responses

I guess my real question is: does the battery life of the 2 make it a better choice overall than the 1? Or should I just go with the 1 since the processor is the same?

I don't swim a ton or really need the GPS for fitness tracking as I just use stationary stuff to work out, so which is a better option for me?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rick Sanchez posted:

Thanks for the responses

I guess my real question is: does the battery life of the 2 make it a better choice overall than the 1? Or should I just go with the 1 since the processor is the same?

I don't swim a ton or really need the GPS for fitness tracking as I just use stationary stuff to work out, so which is a better option for me?

Go for a 1 or consider an original since those are cheap as hell now and I think they're good enough on watchOS 3 for the price.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rick Sanchez posted:

Thanks for the responses

People say you'll get 30%ish more battery. Is that worth $100 more to you? My battery issues seem semi unique atm, I would say as long as your watch lasts a day, that's all you need.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

My battery was totally hosed my s0 until I turned off background refresh on the apps I didn't use that often. I was at 5-10% at 10pm before and right now I'm at 58%.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
On moderate use, my s0 is sitting at 47% after 12 hours. I've never used the workout app, I just track my activity with the basic activity function. I receive a fair amount of texts, slack, and other notifications throughout the day, but it's still mostly "glance, OK done" so I don't consider that "heavy" usage.

I feel like it's worth it to bite the bullet and upgrade for the battery life and better processor speed alone.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 5, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Today's trip report: battery down 11% in 4.5 hours. Setting up as a new watch hardly lost anything at all either, so thats chill and good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
S2 42MM at 77%. Off charger 7 hours, worked out for an hour (Other activity, unsure if GPS is active at that time). On days I workout I usually get it back on the charger after 18-19 hours with 25-35% left.

This thing is a beast and loving it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Meanwhile my S0 is at 84% after 2hrs of just being on my wrist :argh:

It's pretty inconsistent though since some days I go to bed at 40% while last night I was at 10% when I got home from work. I didn't even use the watch really aside from checking notifications so I dunno :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My s0 is at 90% after 6 hours.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My S2 is at 84% after five hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

My S1 is at 64% after 6 hours. No clue why. Last night it was at 5% when I went to bed. The day before it was in the low 30s. :-/

• Locked thread