Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

meristem posted:

So other insects, arachnids and whatnot, are all artificial....?

It would seem so. Like the scorpion the kids (hosts or guests? they don't make it clear, but I'd guess guests for the no-kids reasons discussed earlier) put on the wino's head. The really important thing is that flies are recurrent symbols through the first episode. Notably, the one that lands on Teddy's face as he's gazing off into space while the guests discuss using him for target practice, and the one that lands on Dolores' face that she swats after her dad's malfunction and her own deprogramming. Flies, being from outside the park, cannot be harmed by a host, unless that host's programming goes AWOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It bet the park is on Mars.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

VendaGoat posted:

TERMS OF DELOS DESTINATIONS

3(b) You agree that you will leave the Delos Destinations compound on your appointed leave date, and you will make no attempt to hide within the parks and avoid your leave date. A maximum of twenty-eight (28) days is allowed for being within the parks before guests must proceed to the Mesa Gold area for decompression. Any attempts to use the parks to avoid local, federal, or international court dates, jail or prison sentences, prosecution, or payments agreed upon in civil court or arbitration will not be supported by Delos, Inc.

6(b) By entering the Delos Destinations Port of Entry, you acknowledge that Delos, Inc. controls the rights to and remains the sole owner of, in perpetuity: all skin cells, bodily fluids, secretions, excretions, hair samples, saliva, sweat, blood, and any other bodily functions not listed here. Delos, Inc. reserves the right to use this property in any way, shape, or form in which the entity sees fit.

So interesting bits. In 3B it mentions decompression at the Mesa Gold resort. It was said that the location of Westworld is kept secret until you book a trip (I think I saw that before in the thread). Perhaps they didn't make an artificial island which satellites could see. Maybe it's on the ocean floor. So, decompression can mean something like a readjustment period to be in polite society, or maybe they mean that literally. Westworld might be underwater.

6B says that all biomatter you leave behind belongs to Delos, and they can do what they wish with it. Maybe the Hosts are already based on genetic specifications of whoever the designers feel like using? A bit of a stretch there though, maybe the Hosts are constructed out of biomatter, and maybe they recycle and reuse as much as they can even if its from a guest.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
AHAHHAHAH My estimated invoice for a two week stay.

Below is an estimated* invoice based on your current itinerary. A 50% deposit will be required upon check-in.

Package Type: gold $2,800,000
Length of Stay $200,000/day
Mesa Gold Detox Accommodations: suite $280,000
Length of Stay $20,000/day
Number of Guests 1
Host Consultation Fee $25,000
Concierge Fee $15,000
Standard Guest Insurance $22,000
Biometric Monitoring Fee $14,000
Arbitration Deposit Fee $5,000
Maintenance & Service Fee $11,000
Child Park Fee $0
Total $3,172,000

We are pleased to accept several methods of payment including premium bank card, select cryptocurrency, or secure wire transfer. As with every part of our service, all transactions will be treated with the utmost discretion.

Leading up to your stay, your concierge host will review your package and contact you with more information. We look forward to showing you a world of desire and indulgence you never thought was possible.

There are different levels of "game play" and in the gold package it mentions finding the hidden gems and deeper secrets of the park. So maybe Ed Harris is just on a gold package get away.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VendaGoat posted:

AHAHHAHAH My estimated invoice for a two week stay.

Below is an estimated* invoice based on your current itinerary. A 50% deposit will be required upon check-in.

Package Type: gold $2,800,000
Length of Stay $200,000/day
Mesa Gold Detox Accommodations: suite $280,000
Length of Stay $20,000/day
Number of Guests 1
Host Consultation Fee $25,000
Concierge Fee $15,000
Standard Guest Insurance $22,000
Biometric Monitoring Fee $14,000
Arbitration Deposit Fee $5,000
Maintenance & Service Fee $11,000
Child Park Fee $0
Total $3,172,000

We are pleased to accept several methods of payment including premium bank card, select cryptocurrency, or secure wire transfer. As with every part of our service, all transactions will be treated with the utmost discretion.

Leading up to your stay, your concierge host will review your package and contact you with more information. We look forward to showing you a world of desire and indulgence you never thought was possible.

There are different levels of "game play" and in the gold package it mentions finding the hidden gems and deeper secrets of the park. So maybe Ed Harris is just on a gold package get away.

Where was this found?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Where was this found?

I actually put in my email address and got an email from them and followed the narrative.

I kind of want to click "Confirm booking" but, at the same time I don't want a 3 million dollar bill, from time warner, showing up. :v:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What in the hell is the "standard guest insurance" for if they've made you sign a waiver against literally anything that could happen to you?

I guess it must be for human-on-human griefing.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 5, 2016

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Mods please add "Its D-O-L-O-R-E-S" to the thread title. By season two you all will be calling her Delorean.

When this baby swats 88 flies an hour, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Is the twist going to be that the humans are also fake and forgot it and/or all 'natural' life on [RELEVANT PLANETARY BODY] is simply flies? Are the flies also fake, but from a previous generation of construction? Are we simulacra creating simulacra that will in turn create simulacra?

yes I do tend to get far ahead of things what about it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can't wait for the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo reveal at the end of the season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

404notfound posted:

I thought the "hobo" part was more to describe how PCs are typically homeless (living from inn to inn) while they go on their murder streak

Also the fact that you kill people and then put their clothes on, which outside of videogames is very strange behavior.

sector_corrector posted:

"All livestock within the Delos parks are Hosts, with the notable exception of flies."

That seems like the most important line in all of that.

That's just in case anybody was doubting what the ending of episode 1 meant. It was pretty clear though.

AsInHowe posted:

Where was this found?

Somebody posted awhile back....

Alehkhs posted:

For those of you who like ARGs and/or alt-media worldbuilding, there's at least two "in-Universe" sites out there to dig into:

https://www.discoverwestworld.com/
https://www.delosincorporated.com/

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The Delos Inc. emails on that second site are great.

SUBJECT: RE: FW: ASSET TAMPERING

From: Singh, Rohit – Livestock Management, Body Shop (WW)To: Levy, Destin – Livestock Management, Body Shop (WW)

I guess you’re finally going to have to get a girlfriend.

--------------------------------Forwarded Message-------------------------------
To: Delos Employees – Westworld
CC: Cullen, Theresa – Quality Assurance (WW)
Re: Asset Tampering

It has recently come to QA’s attention that certain employees in Livestock Management have forgotten the standards to which we hold all Delos Employees regarding tampering with company assets.

Please remember that Delos property does not belong to you: no “experimenting with,” or misappropriating the host merchandise will be tolerated. This is a Zero Tolerance Policy, violation of which is grounds for dismissal.

Diana Langley

Livestock Management, Body Shop (WW)

SUBJECT: MAP ROOM

From: Winsett, Brook – Livestock Management, Clean-Up Crew (WW)To: Owen, Charis – Quality Assurance, Surveillance (WW)

What makes the map in the map room work? Like, what’s the technology behind it? Is it like lasers or some poo poo?

Winsett, Brook

Livestock Management, Clean-Up Crew (WW)

SUBJECT: RE: MAP ROOM

Are you high right now?

Owen, Charis

Quality Assurance, Surveillance (WW)

SUBJECT: RE: RE: MAP ROOM

Winsett, Brook

Livestock Management, Clean-Up Crew (WW

Untagged fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 5, 2016

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

I can't wait for the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo reveal at the end of the season.

D HAS COME TO

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

UPON ARRIVAL AT WESTWORLD, YOU’LL CHOOSE A HAT TO WEAR INSIDE THE PARK THAT EMBODIES HOW YOU INTEND TO PLAY IT INSIDE. WHICH LOOKS BETTER ON YOU?

Wearing the white hat isn’t just an accessory choice—it’s a way of life in Westworld.

Going white hat means standing up for your values against all the odds. It’s being true to yourself and your moral code. It’s being a hero. Which adventure are you up for?

CATCH A CRIMINAL

Join the sheriff and embark on a bounty hunt for a wanted criminal. This is one of the many ways to earn money in Westworld—and the adrenaline rush is just a bonus.

Wearing the black hat isn’t just an accessory choice—it’s a way of life in Westworld.

Going black hat means letting go of reservations, inhibitions, guilt and impulse control. It’s stripping down what’s held you back and revealing who you really are. With which vice will you indulge?

This is pretty fun and interesting. I need to play around with the various options...

So this makes it sound like you do have to earn money, but it sounds like money is very easy to come by... basically like gold in an RPG. We saw that one guy just walk up to the poker table and the other guy just left his chips. You just participate to get money, you don't have to really 'earn' it.

VendaGoat posted:

They probably give every guest "Disney bucks" for use inside the world. And if they just blow all the Fun Bucks, they can rob a bank or make a withdrawal, depending on the type of character they want to play.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm hoping for some in-world explanations for how money works. Seeing how one of the bots got up from the poker table as soon as Ed Harris walked up to it, I want it that you can miraculously "win" big after a few hands at the table.

Check this out:

quote:

MONEY IN THE PARK
You will begin your stay in Westworld with a sizeable amount of money. Once it runs out, you will need to find a way to sustain yourself—be it through lawful or unconventional means.

Every dollar you earn in Westworld can be used during your time in the park. Just like at home, the more money you have, the more thrilling your stay will be.

Win your money in a game of cards or simply take what you need when the opportunity strikes. There are no rules.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 5, 2016

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

JossiRossi posted:

So interesting bits. In 3B it mentions decompression at the Mesa Gold resort. It was said that the location of Westworld is kept secret until you book a trip (I think I saw that before in the thread). Perhaps they didn't make an artificial island which satellites could see. Maybe it's on the ocean floor. So, decompression can mean something like a readjustment period to be in polite society, or maybe they mean that literally. Westworld might be underwater.

While there is a non-zero possibility that Westworld is inside a dome at the bottom of the Pacific/Atlantic- and it is most certainly somewhere at sea, considering Section 5 of the Terms & Conditions mentions "legal authorities on the mainland"- I'm gonna say that it likely isn't, on account of how very, VERY expensive and difficult it would be to excavate, pump, and construct 83+ basement sublevels underneath several thousand feet of seawater, not to mention that saltwater is one of the most corrosive substances on Earth and would cause the maintenance bills to skyrocket. It's possible, yes, but I think a trip to Westworld would be several orders of magnitude more expensive than what we see now if it was.

With that said, "decompression" in this case refers to cultural re-adjustment; the site itself says that Mesa Gold is where you end the trip by mentally adjusting from having spent the past 2-4 weeks camping out in 1896 Montana to going back to working a desk job in 2XXX New York. It's probably also to help you come to psychological terms with anything you did in Westworld that you weren't expecting to do- I would imagine that some visitors have some rather uncomfortable realizations concerning what they're willing to do on a lark.

Also, physical decompression is something that only wetsuit divers are concerned with because of the way the human body reacts to the difference between ocean pressure and sea-level air pressure. Submarines and rigid diving suits (JIM suits, basically aquatic space suits) don't worry about that, on account of how those methods essentially have you travelling in a pocket of surface air pressure.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I had to eat a guy to survive in the hills of westworld.

Whelp, time to go back to my accounting job at lehman brothers.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching robodad breakdown scene again, looks like a cardiovascular failiure to me. What a performance.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Somebody made this, which makes me hopeful that somebody will also make the Paint It Black and Black Hole Sun covers, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8BDwT1P0M

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If you go too far off the beaten path in Westworld, you reach Museworld and then karate and lasers get involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Yc3HhSl1Q

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone on reddit posted this. Dolores waking up during the three loops, creepy
ps: Anyone knows how to post gifvs? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/NX24zCI

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 5, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

DoctorGonzo posted:

Someone on reddit posted this. Dolores waking up during the three loops, creepy
ps: Anyone knows how to post gifvs? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/NX24zCI

Remove the [url] or [img] tags and just link the gif direct and add v to the end.

e: although that is a huge image.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drunkill posted:

Remove the [url] or [img] tags and just link the gif direct and add v to the end.

e: although that is a huge image.

yep, thanks for the answer friend!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

VendaGoat posted:

At these prices, I really do wonder who Ed Harris is supposed to be (unless a long-running robot with guest privileges, of course). Sure, a billionaire. But what sort? A tech mogul or a financier would not have to discover the secrets of Westworld from the 'inside' - they would probably be able to join the board of investors. A celebrity? Don't think so. A trust fund kid?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

meristem posted:

At these prices, I really do wonder who Ed Harris is supposed to be (unless a long-running robot with guest privileges, of course). Sure, a billionaire. But what sort? A tech mogul or a financier would not have to discover the secrets of Westworld from the 'inside' - they would probably be able to join the board of investors. A celebrity? Don't think so. A trust fund kid?

My guess is still that his wife died in Westworld and was replaced or subsumed by Delorean. They let him go in free because either Ford feels bad for him as his father-in-law or because he was maybe an employee. I don't think he was an employee though. I think he was against the principle of Westworld as a whole but his wife devoted her life to it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dolorous Ab.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
Watching this made me want to replay Red Dead Redemption. I wanna be a pretend cowboy too!

I'm very fascinated by the idea of the park and seeing how it runs day to day. Things like how quests interact on a design level and what kind of stories they're telling. I want know w more about what kind of crazy poo poo goes in there like cannibal cult with the Shakespeare quoting leader that got mentioned or what kind of mayhem people cause when they get to play Grand Theft Auto: Old West in real life. Maybe I'm as sick as the guests. Maybe the guests are a commentary on people like me. I hope they explore everything they can in this premise before the hosts become self-aware enough to burn the place to the ground and it turns into a less interesting robot rebellion show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am fully in favour of this.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Lightning must be really bad or the park is much bigger than we think.

1,400 guests that are there for 12 day stints(?) and the park has been running for 30 years with 11+ deaths.

That's around 1 death per 116k people vs. the 1 per 4.3M for lightning we have now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Maybe all the robbits act as unintentional lightning rods?

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
I liked the touch of Teddy waking up on the train the 3rd time (after being shot during the robbery) and rubbing the right side of his chest (where he had been shot). Going back, he didn't do that when waking up after Ed Harris shot him in the heart at Dolores' house.

Also liked that we were told that the old gambler host was the 2nd one ever made (before the reveal that Dolores was the 1st).

Really interested in seeing how they bring back the Judas cow idea and what Dolores' pop told her as he continued to whisper to her.

One of the best pilots I've seen, and I'm totally cool with some episodes just highlighting the madness that goes on in their world.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

meristem posted:

He's clearly a pro-gamer, his youtube channel "Let's Play: Westworld" rakes in the dough. S30E02: There Will Be Blood viewers can find out just how little blood a host needs to keep functioning!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

El Jeffe posted:

Without remembering 100% of the episode, do you guys think it's possible that Westworld is in an enormous dome, like out of The Truman Show? What makes me wonder that is how perfect the landscape seems to be, as if it might be engineered. It would also explain how they keep people from sneaking in from the borders.

In one of the post-pilot interviews Nolan says the environment isn't natural, in fact he uses the word terraformed, which opens up questions...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Norwegian Rudo posted:

In one of the post-pilot interviews Nolan says the environment isn't natural, in fact he uses the word terraformed, which opens up questions...

Pacific island terraformed to look like the US west.

Don't think too much about the environmental fallout.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

Oh hell yes.

And if you lead some cultists out into the desert and come back as cannibals, you could call it The Dinner Party, or the Last Supper.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrMojok posted:

What in the hell is the "standard guest insurance" for if they've made you sign a waiver against literally anything that could happen to you?

I guess it must be for human-on-human griefing.

B'tak would be furious

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

meristem posted:

My guess is that he's one of the first robots to wake up from the dream, but Deleos doesn't know about him quite yet.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They keep very strict track of all the hosts. I find it unlikely one would gain sentience and roam around messing with the world without the company knowing.

I am fairly confident Ed Harris is some bored rich person who loves the game but now wants to pretty much get to the "end" or whatever deeper level there is

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

meristem posted:

This takes place in the not so near future. As we've said before, with inflation who knows what those values really represent. Its all $Texas as far as we know.

In the future $20,000 could be a lot of money or it could be like ten bucks. :shrug:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The scene where the host turns on his buddies and starts pouring milk on everyone... at one point he's drinking the milk and it starts pouring out of a couple of holes in his body. Are we meant to assume that another host shot him, the rounds hit, but his "damage" routine didn't kick in like it was supposed to?

If so, makes me wonder what would have happened if a guest had shot him during his little episode/breakdown.

e: for clarity

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 5, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

AwkwardKnob posted:

While watching, I sort of predicted-to-myself that the AI's would start showing signs of Rampancy due to that upgrade giving them access to a "subconscious" of their past experiences. My take was that it was done on purpose by Anthony Hopkins, however, as a sort of petri dish experiment to push their realism and AI qualities outside parameters. The way he talked about Humans having gotten as good as they're going to get pointed me in that direction, and I still felt that way when he gave his little light-hearted excuse about making an occasional mistake to his head programmer. Like, sure dude, you make mistakes all the time...?

When Anthony Hopkins interviewed Robo-Dad, I was less sure, because everything in that scene seemed to be quite unexpected to everyone. That doesn't mean Hopkins didn't do it on purpose, but perhaps he didn't have a very good idea of what the effects would wind up being on his creations.

One minor nitpick: If the robots have their memory banks wiped after every narrative/day is completed, it's a little bit of a stretch for me that the subconscious memory recall thing would reach all the way back to include every single past life they've had. If this feature had just been added, what on Earth would be the point of putting that much storage into the robots head. Like, imagine the terabytes of data that each day's collective experience would create every single time. You'd wipe all that poo poo clean each time, not leave it floating around in limbo and rewrite it endlessly for 30 years.

This is why we defragment our hard drives, people.

Pretty sure that in this world 5,000,000TB of storage space would probably cost like 3 pence. Even now there's a bunch of unused resources in devices and stuff, just because it's cheaper to leave it in than to take it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Riso posted:

Pacific island terraformed to look like the US west.

Don't think too much about the environmental fallout.

Do we know for certain the show is set on Earth? If it's on another planet that would explain why the staff have to rotate home, rather then simply taking a car or helicopter.

• Locked thread