Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Has anyone streamed playing with the steam controller? Or any articles about how much support there actually is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Has anyone streamed playing with the steam controller? Or any articles about how much support there actually is?

Hell no. Everyone who's been streaming it are big fans of the series and aren't dumb enough to think using a controller is a sensible option for a turn based 4X.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Captain Fargle posted:

Hell no. Everyone who's been streaming it are big fans of the series and aren't dumb enough to think using a controller is a sensible option for a turn based 4X.

Works fine for Civ V, and Civ VI seems to have built in support for it (given that it is being sold bundled with the controller).

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Captain Fargle posted:

The Steam controller is actually well suited for games like Civ. Of course it'll never be as direct as KB+M but it gets the job done quite well. I have one and I use it to play turn based games on the couch quite a bit.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
The key is that it is turn based so you can take your drat time with it.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

I want to play Rome, build all my cities in a massive line, and then setup trades from one side to the other for massive trading post gold.

Rome looks like one of the most straightforward civs so far, doesn't really direct you towards any type of victory, but just free poo poo when you expand. Add in a nice strong UU that doesn't need Iron and bonus Housing+Amenities, and you can get a big civilization going pretty easily.

I'm leaning towards either Rome or Greece, want to save the more complicated or victory-directed Civs for later on.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

The key is that it is turn based so you can take your drat time with it.

It's more than that though. The touchpad is responsive enough that mouse operations aren't a chore, especially in concert with the tilt sensor. It's not at all like mapping a thumbstick to mouse input. /derail

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The downside to a line of cities would seem to be you'd miss out on all those district buildings that radiate out 6 hexes. Make your empire like a giant wheel with spokes!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Rule Brittania, muthafuckas.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

No streamers seem to have any issues winning.

Welllll Lewis of the Yogscast played on a stream and was getting wrecked by barbarians in the early game. One of his settlers was captured at one point, and though he expanded to 4 or so cities eventually 2 AIs smelled weakness and declared war, taking his capital and first city.

He started a new game. It appeared to be going better despite another strong barbarian presence near the start, but eventually he got a "Defeat!" screen at some point despite having twice the score of any other AI on the map. An AI probably got the religious victory.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean the quality of quote is more important than the source. I'm no fan of Thatcher or Adams but if they can spin a decent quote.

And just because someone's quotable doesn't mean they're a good person with good ideas. Dan Quayle's extremely quotable.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Gort posted:

And just because someone's quotable doesn't mean they're a good person with good ideas. Dan Quayle's extremely quotable.

As is machiavelli

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

berenzen posted:

As is machiavelli

And Donald Trump

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Captain Fargle posted:

Civ 2 says hello: it got ported to PSX. I still own it. Turn-based games have done reasonably well even on console. RTS's, also.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nothing said by Donald Trump sounds poignant no matter how far out of context you take it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nothing said by Donald Trump sounds poignant no matter how far out of context you take it.

He has a couple good ones probably. Monkey/typewriter theory.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"You're fired!"

-Artillery

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

quote:

Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

IcePhoenix posted:

And Donald Trump

You have discovered Social Media.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/781926033159249920

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Unfortunately Civ 6 does not seem to be going for "poignant" quotes. They seem to be mainly jokes. Which, in fairness, they got Sean Bean to read which adds a lot to dumb quotes (see Nimoy's "Beep... beep... beep..."), but it feels like they've gone for a largely irreverent tone this time, rather than having poignant quotes with a few silly ones sprinkled in.

Though that's just a vague impression. It may just be that the silly ones are sticking out more at this point.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fhqwhgads posted:

"You're fired!"

-Artillery

"I know words, I have the best words"

- Writing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Day one mod all trump quotes

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Fhqwhgads posted:

"You're fired!"

-Artillery

This is also one of the best Arnold Schwarzenegger quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3Kyv_iaNs

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Even still Nimoy's readings were excellent. I was pretty disappointed with Civ V, and I'm not super excited about Civ VI's either.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Civ V's narrator was actually really good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

Updated for Civ VI:

"The architecture is very impressive here! The grounds are pretty vast, so you could really wander around here for hours and just take it all in!" -- Mike F., Yelp Review

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eiba posted:

Unfortunately Civ 6 does not seem to be going for "poignant" quotes. They seem to be mainly jokes. Which, in fairness, they got Sean Bean to read which adds a lot to dumb quotes

I'd listen to Sean Bean read just about anything

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW21WM0mMO4

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

V had a good balance between joke quotes and some really inspirational ones.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keJGzluIkzQ

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
good thread title

i want to play this game

okay bye

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Stolen from reddit: Levi Strauss is a Great Merchant in VI, and generates two copies of the unique "jeans" luxury resource.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 31, 2022

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Stolen from reddit: Levi Strauss is a Great Merchant in VI, and generates two copies of the unique "jeans" luxury resource.

Finally I'll be able to wear my own blue jeans and listen to my own pop music

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I loved V's tech quotes and will be sad if they will be just dumb joke quotes in VI.

IV had the best quotes though (education being my favorite) and they even quoted Hitler :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't get the title

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get the title

It's a song lyric, and also Genghis Khan is in the series.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As someone who mostly played multiplayer, my favorite technology quote was probably "You have discovered Fertilizer", although "You have discovered Ecology" and "You have discovered Metallurgy" really made me see things in a new light as well.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Krazyface posted:

Lol. Well why not, I guess.

Reminds me of an idea I once had. I think it would be awesome if, when building a factory, you could assign that factory to produce a unique luxury (textiles, cars, computers; various techs unlocking different ones) which you could then trade away. For one thing it would help give cities some individual character, like modern Detroit recently being the car manufacturing capital of the world, or 19th century Manchester being the global focus of textile production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get the title
Sing it to the city states.