Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mordiceius posted:

Trip report on the Final Fantasy journey with my wife:

Starting FF9 after playing FF8, she said "Wait, this came after the other one? The graphics look worse." And she found the first two hours to be a bit boring.

You need to explain to her that more realistic proportions does not equal "better graphics." Have you explained the concepts of "Super Deformed" characters as they relate to Japanese gaming culture and development? I hope you prepared her suitably enlightening reports on these topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mordiceius posted:

We're going to wait until the remake to play 7. That game is a goddamn eyesore for anyone coming to it fresh.

We just got out of the evil forest. She's more interested after the petrification scene and what not. I think she was just shocked by the tonal shift between 8 and 9. She got past the initial shot by just thinking of 9 as a storybook game.

She saw the opening to 10 and was super excited to play that one because that game really does have a helluva opening cinematic. However, she wanted to try 9 first so we continue to improve in graphics than going to 10 and then 9.

The character sprites are a pain but the art direction for that game is goddamn great. My girlfriend loved it, and she started with 8 years before she got around to 7.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

We're going to wait until the remake to play 7. That game is a goddamn eyesore for anyone coming to it fresh.

I don't really see how someone that's fine with FFVIII and IX having a problem with the graphics of VII. It's no looker, but I'd say the simple character models hold up better than VIII, but as your wife has shown, everything's subjective.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all but even back in 1997 when I was wowed by the spectacle of FF7 I thought the Popeye models were rough. Twenty years cannot possibly have assuaged that.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mega64 posted:

As long as they keep Cloud having a train run on him in the hot tub it's all good.

There ain't no gettin' offa this train he's on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all but even back in 1997 when I was wowed by the spectacle of FF7 I thought the Popeye models were rough. Twenty years cannot possibly have assuaged that.

Yeah. I first played FF7 in like 2002 and I thought it looked terrible then.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought the SD field models in 7 were bad until I played the SNES games at which point it clicked as a strange misguided but cute attempt at 3d SD.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'd have a bigger problem with only being able to use the D-pad to move than with the character models if I were to play FF7 again. At least the in-battle models are of a good quality for the era.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think I'd have more reverence for FF7 if I had played the SNES games first. I started with 8, then went to 7, then to 9, and then to 6.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Shoren posted:

I'd have a bigger problem with only being able to use the D-pad to move than with the character models if I were to play FF7 again. At least the in-battle models are of a good quality for the era.

You can use the analog sticks to move in the PS4 re-release, for what it's worth.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

I started with 8

This explains everything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't really see how someone that's fine with FFVIII and IX having a problem with the graphics of VII. It's no looker, but I'd say the simple character models hold up better than VIII, but as your wife has shown, everything's subjective.

In what world does the ff7 sprites hold up better, other than being dumber?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

You need to explain to her that more realistic proportions does not equal "better graphics." Have you explained the concepts of "Super Deformed" characters as they relate to Japanese gaming culture and development? I hope you prepared her suitably enlightening reports on these topics.

yes that will work, suddenly the thing she thinks looks bad will look good if you say it's intentional

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

In what world does the ff7 sprites hold up better, other than being dumber?

They are large and simple and all their features are clearly identifiable at a glance. They're ugly but they communicate the visuals.

FFVIII's design on the other hand is a giant mess of pixels because they tried to do realism before they reasonably could.

Even say, Parasite Eve is a bit better because while the models are still crap they went for simple and clean designs so they can emphasize the features while FFVIII tried for basically more than the PSX could pull off.

Like this screenshot is an oft-used joke but it really kinda sums it up:

Neither FFVII or VIII hold up particularly well mind you and FFIX is the only one I'd say come close to doing so.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 5, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

yes that will work, suddenly the thing she thinks looks bad will look good if you say it's intentional

I think the problem was with the initial scenes in Alexandria. When Vivi is moving around on the streets. All of the scenes are SO busy and since half of the characters are anthropomorphic animals, the result is you looking at more than a few characters and wondering "what is that supposed to be?"

Edit: also, due to the color scheme of the people and the scenery, a lot of NPCs kind of just end up blending into the background and are hard to figure out what they are.

This isn't so much a problem in FF8 where pretty much everyone is human and the characters pop from the background more.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 5, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also, we haven't met him yet in game, but Amarant is still the worst character in FF9 and probably the most forgettable character in any polygonal Final Fantasy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Also, we haven't met him yet in game, but Amarant is still the worst character in FF9 and probably the most forgettable character in any polygonal Final Fantasy.

I was gonna argue Kimhari or however their name is spelled but they actually do something in the plot other than get in your way.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Quina not existing probably wouldn't hurt FF9 all that much

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, you can literally play without ever meeting Vincent and Yuffie

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Help Im Alive posted:

but then who would marry vivi in conde petie

DIDN'T THINK THIS THROUGH, HUH

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

TAKE IT BACK.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tae posted:

I mean, you can literally play without ever meeting Vincent and Yuffie

And both are more memorable/important than Amarant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Lots of bad opinions being posted ITT.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

As long as they keep Cloud having a train run on him in the hot tub it's all good.

Uh, wow, trigger warning please?? Can you, like, not?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, Yuffie having a whole optional sidequest with an entire character arc baked into it did a hell of a lot to make her a more memorable character.

Vincent is just kind of a mopey dork, but he has a cool theme song and his limit breaks are neat even if they are not very good. His character design is also more interesting, which is weird because Amarant is pretty strange-looking, but in a way that is somehow not very eyecatching.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ImpAtom posted:

They are large and simple and all their features are clearly identifiable at a glance. They're ugly but they communicate the visuals.

FFVIII's design on the other hand is a giant mess of pixels because they tried to do realism before they reasonably could.

Even say, Parasite Eve is a bit better because while the models are still crap they went for simple and clean designs so they can emphasize the features while FFVIII tried for basically more than the PSX could pull off.

Neither FFVII or VIII hold up particularly well mind you and FFIX is the only one I'd say come close to doing so.

I still prefer this to the chunky messes that are the FF7 models. Sure, the PSX couldn't handle finer detail on their faces, but all FF7 could muster are giant anime eyes on them. I was blown away when I first played FF8 after putting so much time into FF7 and I still think it holds up when you account for the limitations of the PSX.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, Yuffie having a whole optional sidequest with an entire character arc baked into it did a hell of a lot to make her a more memorable character.

Vincent is just kind of a mopey dork, but he has a cool theme song and his limit breaks are neat even if they are not very good. His character design is also more interesting, which is weird because Amarant is pretty strange-looking, but in a way that is somehow not very eyecatching.

He also has an optional memory sequence for his freebie ultimate weapon that ties back into the Turks, Hojo, and his not-dead not-girlfriend which is basically infinitely more than Amarant gets.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Every time Amarant comes up in the FF9 story, my first reaction is "Who is this again?" He's bland and boring as gently caress. Literally nothing interesting about him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So uh... is the countdown just locked at 0 for anyone else?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 5, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Onmi posted:

So uh... is the countdown just locked at 0 for anyone else?

You are caught in Time Kompression, where the game has just been released for digital download for PS4 and you rush to start it upon realizing this, but because it's TIme Kompression and time is fixed, you are forever in the point of the game just coming out and being unable to ever play it.

hth

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As I mentioned elsewhere, mine's got a matter of minutes. 2, as of writing.

E: Hit 0 aaaand... nothing

e2: Hahaha, the countdown is based off timezone. In JST it runs out in just under an hour and a half.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 5, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Time Kompression, Kupo

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FFXV's Moogle is an item!

It's a "lucky item" in the form of a plush toy that somehow helps Noct's party out when they're in a pinch. To me that sounds like a summon, but otherwise we're without actual living Moogles in the game. Huh.

E: To clarify I'm summarising, not translating.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mega64 posted:

That never happened, he's complaining about the stuffiness and being crushed by a bunch of muscle men in a small tub.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Kanfy posted:

That never happened, he's complaining about the stuffiness and being crushed by a bunch of muscle men in a small tub.

I thought they crushed his b hole. With they muscle man dilznicks?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AlphaKretin posted:

FFXV's Moogle is an item!

It's a "lucky item" in the form of a plush toy that somehow helps Noct's party out when they're in a pinch. To me that sounds like a summon, but otherwise we're without actual living Moogles in the game. Huh.

E: To clarify I'm summarising, not translating.

Direct Translation

Final Fantasy XV's moogle is an item!
In Final Fantasy XV, the moogle appears as a "Lucky Item"! (Carry a moogle plush doll in your inventory as you walk, like a charm,) and believe in its ability to help you evade all crises and difficulties. It might be able to save Noctis and company when they are in a pinch?!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You two are playing FF9 two player, right? Probably the most fun I've had with an FF game.

Final Fantasy Tactics update: It is really good.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics update: It is really good.

:agreed:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You know what Squall looks like though, he's just a guy in a jacket. You don't need a lot of pixels to communicate that, especially since he and all the other main cast members are introduced in FMV. Where readability really matters is in the non-people - your Shumis, your Moombas, your monsters - the things you're seeing for the first time and need to interpret. In FF8 these are all nice and thick and clear.

FF7 has easily the least readable graphics of the entire series. There are no textures for god's sake.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kanfy posted:

come to terms with cloud being a fuckboi