Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

lmao haven't seen meltdowns in this thread since release, guess the games not dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Did someone say cats?!?

Also I got all the new cats for home instance and they beat each other up. The guardian one is the worst because you need a HoT chef recipe that is account bound and cost 100 crystalline ore or 75 proof of heroics + 20 silver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFaqI2Jv98

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
well I know what i'm doing when I get home from work.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Azathoth posted:

I played this at launch and for a few months afterwards, going so far as to get a character to the max level, but quit when the endgame was "check this external website to see which world boss will spawn next, go to spot, hit it a couple times, collect loot, repeat". I understand that there's a whole bunch of new stuff available and I'm looking to come back.

However, I'm curious how necessary it is to immediately purchase Heart of Thorns. Assume, for the sake of argument, that I don't care about playing the Revenant class right away and that I plan to start a new character, not pick up any of my old characters. If it doesn't grab me, I just don't want to have dropped $50 for something that I didn't need to. I had fun the first time around, so if it's integrated into the starting experience, I'm willing to take the risk but I figured I'd ask here first.

I recently started playing this game, and bought HoT as soon as i hit 80 (afaik it offers nothing to sub-80 characters?) and i do not regret that one bit. GW2 is legit the most fun i have ever had in any MMO, including the "first mmo experience" type of fun. I played WoW for nearly 12 years and recently returned to it when its most recent expansion launched (taking a break from GW2) and it is difficult to get into now. GW2 does so many things so well, the account bound nature of everything is amazing, the professions are interesting, the skill mechanics are great, the UI works super well.

I don't really know how GW2 was pre-HoT and i have mainly played HoT content but it is hella fun. Gliding (you can glide in the pre-HoT world as well!) is tons of fun. Exploring the HoT maps (labyrinths) is very interesting and its such a huge sense of accomplishment when you realise you can navigate around with ease and even help newer players move around. The events are fun as well, huge hour long events that culminate in a boss fight.

My only 3 gripes are:

1. if you miss out on the start of a HoT event it can be over an hour before anything starts again as all the events start at roughly the same time.

2. ANET seems to really push/force people to raid for some reason that i can't really understand. Raids are tuned for having ascended gear, yet ascended gear is the best gear. Raids are traditionally a place where you get gear upgrades, and one of the prime ways to entice elitist players into staying in your MMO so they can lord their fancy gear over filthy casual scum who can't get said gear.

3. The community is extremely toxic, far worse than WoW (I honestly believe this is because i play GW2 on US servers but WoW on EU servers. You americans are so hostile towards random people, holy poo poo. If you ask a question in map chat there's an avalanche of oneupmanship in trying to come up with the most sassy or trolly response, virtually no one ever actually answers your question. There is also always so much hostility, racial slurs, meme spam and creepy poo poo. The goon guild(s) chat is great though, and goons are as always great to play with!)

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

3. The community is extremely toxic, far worse than WoW (I honestly believe this is because i play GW2 on US servers but WoW on EU servers. You americans are so hostile towards random people, holy poo poo. If you ask a question in map chat there's an avalanche of oneupmanship in trying to come up with the most sassy or trolly response, virtually no one ever actually answers your question. There is also always so much hostility, racial slurs, meme spam and creepy poo poo. The goon guild(s) chat is great though, and goons are as always great to play with!)
This seems so strange to me, whenever I see someone ask a question in map chat a bunch of people fall over themselves to answer it in as much detail as possible, and I hardly ever see racial slurs or meme spamming. Guess I should be glad I play on EU.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Idk man, I've only ever seen what Tyblazitar describes, and I'm on Maguuma.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm on Tarnished Coast, people are friendly until they find out you're not here to erp

e: though I never play spvp and I'm a total jobber in wvw

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Likewise to Generic Octopus. I've occasionally had to turn LA mapchat off, and people can get frustrated when they're hunting for daily events, but I've rarely encountered straight-up asshats in the wild. When it happens, it's easy enough to block and report them.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
This game has probably the best community of any MMO I've played. The game by design encourages cooperation instead of assholishness and it really shows.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I liked Factions because it brought in missions that pushed mechanics of energy management on massive waves of enemies by having them time based for the most part. I didn't like Nightfall because it moved away from that and started back to Prophecies style missions.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

2. ANET seems to really push/force people to raid for some reason that i can't really understand. Raids are tuned for having ascended gear, yet ascended gear is the best gear. Raids are traditionally a place where you get gear upgrades, and one of the prime ways to entice elitist players into staying in your MMO so they can lord their fancy gear over filthy casual scum who can't get said gear.

I don't really see ANET pushing raids that hard. They introduced them for people who wanted harder instanced content (that is, content that was more than stack in a corner and cleave mobs down), and in that respect, I think they've been a pretty big success. There is nothing that comes out of raids, other than skins, that you can't get elsewhere in the game now that Bloodstone Fen and Ember Bay have been released.

I'm not really sure where you are getting that raids are tuned for ascended gear. Is it because LFG adverts say you need it? Because a dev said it once pre-HoT, maybe? Regardless, this is untrue. Exotics gear is more than enough to finish the raids. The group I run with has, or had for many months, multiple people in exotics only.

edit: If you're trying to put together ascended gear for a raid, ascended weapons and trinkets make the largest difference when upgrading from exotics and are significantly cheaper than upgrading armor. In addition to the 5% stat upgrade, weapons also get a weapon power upgrade which is why it's the most effective upgrade, and trinkets get a built-in ascended gem upgrade. I don't know anyone who actually puts exotic gems in exotic trinkets, but if you do, then the ascended trinkets are only a minor upgrade.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 5, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's one of the things I've particularly liked about the last couple episodes of the Living Story: scrubs like me, who don't raid, still get to play with super stripped-down versions of some of the bosses.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The latest fractal & fractal reworks have been alright for tougher instanced content.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

You don't need all ascended gear to pug raids. Having exotic armor and having ascended weapons and trinkets/rings is often enough. Fractals are the easiest way to get ascended gear. The only reason to do the raids now is the legendary armor. There also some YouTube videos of people clearing wings with all green gear or whatever.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Bieeardo posted:

Likewise to Generic Octopus. I've occasionally had to turn LA mapchat off, and people can get frustrated when they're hunting for daily events, but I've rarely encountered straight-up asshats in the wild. When it happens, it's easy enough to block and report them.

I dunno it can be a little funny when internet strangers start digging into things so politically charged while running around on a bunny eared, omni aura'd white lady in the middle of a fantasy town.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Bieeardo posted:

That's one of the things I've particularly liked about the last couple episodes of the Living Story: scrubs like me, who don't raid, still get to play with super stripped-down versions of some of the bosses.

I do raids when I can and I like this too. Getting people in the open world used to raid mechanics without the need for tight organisation.

I do find that despite raid requirements (which I think are fair for high skill level pve content), the community around raids is pretty friendly and helpful. Unlike fractals, who think they're top poo poo because they have money for AR.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I like open world VG but open world Sloth is useless for learning the fight. I really wish she did the wet dog shake at least since that's the most important attack to learn and by the time you see it in a raid there's usually so much going on that it's much harder to spot. I'd love some practice at avoiding it in a less charged atmosphere, myself.

I'm also on US servers and find the community to generally be very pleasant, except for major city mapchat, heart of the mists and WvW. Even when a big meta fails or something there'll usually be one, maybe two angry people and everyone else in mapchat telling them to chill the gently caress out, it's just a game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

This game has probably the best community of any MMO I've played. The game by design encourages cooperation instead of assholishness and it really shows.

Totally this, I'm not sure what that poster above saw, but GW2's community is annoyingly nice at times. This thread can be worse! :v:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

CLAM DOWN posted:

Totally this, I'm not sure what that poster above saw, but GW2's community is annoyingly nice at times. This thread can be worse! :v:

pvp lobby chat is obviously not included in this. But nobody cares about pvp lobby chat.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Maguuma wvw map/team chat is pure cancer, pve maps though yeah people are generally helpful.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Raids are tuned for having ascended gear

People have cleared the first wing while wearing blues and greens

Pubs being idiots who demand full ascended is a far cry from the raids actually needing it.

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 5, 2016

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Not shown: The sheer amount of practice and team building it takes to pull this off.

To say that a group can feasibly do it in blue/green or even white gear alone means you don't need ascended gear would be like saying that somebody like Zoast can finish Super Metroid in 48 minutes, therefore, the game shouldn't take more than 50.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I've done fine raiding in exotics. Ascended weapons do more to increase your damage since they have higher weapon damage in addition to the superficially higher stats so if you feel like you need any gear to prepare yourself for a raid just get an ascended weapon.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i have ascended weapons on my guys but if any of them are in exotics or naked or whatever i havent noticed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ascended weapons are good but if any group for anything demands ascended armour you can safely assume they have mental developmental issues.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Never raid in any video game. I did it for years in wow, and it wasn't worth it. It's never worth it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
GW2 raids are easy, just join a group that's already knows how to do it and get carried. *cough* SFD weekend raid *cough*

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sekkira posted:

Not shown: The sheer amount of practice and team building it takes to pull this off.

To say that a group can feasibly do it in blue/green or even white gear alone means you don't need ascended gear would be like saying that somebody like Zoast can finish Super Metroid in 48 minutes, therefore, the game shouldn't take more than 50.

"Tuned for Ascended gear" means requires ascended gear or the raid cannot be completed. Raids are not tuned for Ascended gear.

I'm not saying that raids are trivial or anything, just that the idea that they demand and require pink gear is wrong :shrug:

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 5, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Visidan posted:

GW2 raids are easy, just join a group that's already knows how to do it and get carried. *cough* SFD weekend raid *cough*

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
^^^
aw man what happened to your asura fetish av

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Magres posted:

"Tuned for Ascended gear" means requires ascended gear or the raid cannot be completed.

No, it doesn't.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Magres posted:

^^^
aw man what happened to your asura fetish av

This one is about Mercy being creepy about butts. I thought it was fitting. Maybe someday I'll figure out a way to fit the asurabutt in there.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Magres posted:

I'm not saying that raids are trivial or anything, just that the idea that they demand and require pink gear is wrong :shrug:

On the contrary, a pug group probably hasn't raided together and doesn't have the nuance of working together that a dedicated raid group possesses from the regular practice together. Ascended makes every hit or heal or whatever matter that much more, making up for the lack of that nuance.

Despite this, from my experience, the only pugs I've been in that have gear checked somebody have done so only because of issues showing up in the run (VG not focusing chronotank, might not hitting as high on a constant basis) and the issue was with the stats of gear, build. Not so much whether it was ascended or not. It's usually just assumed that everybody is running ascended and knows the mechanics.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Sekkira posted:

On the contrary, a pug group probably hasn't raided together and doesn't have the nuance of working together that a dedicated raid group possesses from the regular practice together. Ascended makes every hit or heal or whatever matter that much more, making up for the lack of that nuance.

The power of friendship is way more than 5% stats or w/e on your armor.

And people being able to do it in greens/blues means that having exotics already gives you the numerical advantage.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The power of friendship is way more than 5% stats.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The power of friendship is way more than 5% stats or w/e on your armor.

5% stats times 10 team members means you can lose up to half idiot

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah like I have only done a fraction of a raid ever but it really seems "listen to the loving com" is more important than the exotic/asc divide could ever be. Pinks are nice to have but that's about it.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Why not both?

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Visidan posted:

I can do it drunk and while on my laptop. Gw2 raids are nice like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rum
Aug 23, 2007
We've straight murdered Sloth without breaking a sweat and we've had 9 dead with a warrior in vengeance killing Sloth (yay Cygni). Pinks don't mean poo poo.

• Locked thread