Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpaceCommie posted:

Finally got around to finishing 100 in the lab yesterday. Thought the ending to Bedtime Stories was really unearned and just dark for the sake of it.

Fast forward to the interviews and of course it was written by loving Lidster ...

Yeah I got to the end and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and something to happen to prevent the ending from just being cruel and dark and senselessly meanspirited and.... it never happened :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
That story is peak Lidster. I loving hate it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

And just think...set 3 is juuuuust around the corner. (Really hoping for a first week of October release as an "apology" for the delay)

Called it; the Big Finish Facebook page just started up the themed-picture-countdown. 3 days to go til the 3rd War Doctor set

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Called it; the Big Finish Facebook page just started up the themed-picture-countdown. 3 days to go til the 3rd War Doctor set

The combination of this and the Doctor Who Facebook page doing the Cybermen for their monster of the month made me realise how much I want a War Doc v Cybes tale.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we know what the Cybermen were up to during the Time War? We're they spending some time being wiped out?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not Who related (but BF related) but it was just announced that The Avengers lost episode "Tunnel of Fear" has been found. Apparently it was part of a private collection that was given to Kaleidoscope, and they're going to be announcing more titles over the week.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

All the timeline alterations are why they look and sound different in every appearance. Now let us never speak of it again.

jivjov posted:

Short Trips.

I'm working on the second set right now. Goddammit, Colin Baker, stop being so good! :mad:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

All the timeline alterations are why they look and sound different in every appearance. Now let us never speak of it again.

Sounds like someone hasn't read David Banks' book "Cybermen" regarding this subject.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

After The War posted:

I'm working on the second set right now. Goddammit, Colin Baker, stop being so good! :mad:

One of my favorites is the one that he wrote! Hilarious

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
This is the one he didn't. What should have been a cute little filler thing about losing his coat gets all emotional. The bastard! What about me, having to explain why I like him to people who only know "the choking thing", or if I'm really lucky his terrible episodes? Why do you do this to me, Colin?!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

Not Who related (but BF related) but it was just announced that The Avengers lost episode "Tunnel of Fear" has been found. Apparently it was part of a private collection that was given to Kaleidoscope, and they're going to be announcing more titles over the week.

More Avengers episodes, or more titles in general?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I figure the guys who have missing Hartnell/Troughtons in their private collections haven't released them for one or more of the following three reasons:

1. They don't know these episodes are missing
2. They are worried people will get mad that they had them for so long without releasing them
3. They've been busy running Zimbabwe

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Do we know what the Cybermen were up to during the Time War? We're they spending some time being wiped out?

There was The Raft of the Cyber-Medusa amongst the paintings in Day of the Doctor, that's pretty much it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I figure the guys who have missing Hartnell/Troughtons in their private collections haven't released them for one or more of the following three reasons:

2. They are worried people will get mad that they had them for so long without releasing them

Someone is gonna pass away at age 95 and a trove of missing episodes will get unearthed in an estate sale.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

Someone is gonna pass away at age 95 and a trove of missing episodes will get unearthed in an estate sale.

"A number of unmarked video reels were purchased by one Hester Tam, who then fled laughing maniacally."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

More Avengers episodes, or more titles in general?

More titles, I assume

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Synopsis:

The Doctor and Charley encounter an Earth Colony Ship who mistakenly believe they are the last of the human race. They have stationed themselves above a barely habitable planet where their leader is convinced he has found a power source to save humanity, and he doesn't mind burying a few bodies to get there. Unfortunately, some thing else has similar ideas for their own species.

What I thought:

Well Philip Madoc's in it! This is a short bonus story that takes place just before The Raincloud Man, which initially seems like an odd format to bring back a well-known (if not well-loved) classic Who monster. The Krotons were better in concept than in execution, and thankfully the audio-only format suits them here. While the South African accents feel a mite out of place, the story does a pretty good job of selling their horror - the Commander's plans to use the material he discovers on the planet Onyakis get turned on their head when his desire to make use of their mysterious energy reserves gets switched around. Instead the Krotons intend to use the "last" of humanity to bring their own race out of hibernation, returning them to their bulky robotic forms and setting back out into the Universe. It's funny how exactly the same plan suddenly becomes all the more horrific when it is humans put into the battery role. The way the Doctor eventually turns the Krotons' learning devices against them is a lot of fun and plays well with the established rules of the story, and in the end it is an effective use of the old characters that probably would have worn out its welcome in a longer story. But really the big attraction for me was the use of Philip Madoc, who has appeared in some amazing classic series episodes such as The War Games and The Brain of Morbius. He was also in the original Krotons story (he also appeared in The Power of Kroll where he was completely wasted) and here his Commander Cobden is delightfully dripping with evil as he seeks to "save" the human race mostly for his own glory. His slow descent into servitude to the Krotons, and then his brief fight back as he grasps the full extent of his folly are very well realized.

Final Thoughts:

As far as bonus releases go, Return of the Krotons delivers exactly what is promised in the title - the return of the Krotons! But whatever your feelings on those clunky-looking, South African accented mechanical lifeforms, the real meat of the story comes from the world-building of the colony ship and its politics, and the wonderfully cruel and calculating Commander Cobden voiced by Philip Madoc. It's roughly an hour long and probably wouldn't have held up any longer than that, but at this length it's a fun story to listen to with a neat ending and good characters - plus, hey, where else but Doctor Who do you get South African mind-controlling robots!?!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Or they already sold them to Philip Morris who is holding out for more money from the beeb.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I listened to Spectre of Lanyon Moor over the last couple of days and man Nicholas Courtney and C. Bakes are so good together. Shame we didn't get more of the Brig in the main range (yes, I know about that other one).

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

I listened to Spectre of Lanyon Moor over the last couple of days and man Nicholas Courtney and C. Bakes are so good together. Shame we didn't get more of the Brig in the main range (yes, I know about that other one).

There is no other one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the baddy in that story but Courtney was great and he had really good chemistry with Colin Baker.

Man did Big Finish do an amazing job of rehabilitating Colin Baker :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the baddy in that story but Courtney was great and he had really good chemistry with Colin Baker.

Man did Big Finish do an amazing job of rehabilitating Colin Baker :allears:

This one gave me a sort of Hinchcliffe vibe.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Giving another listen to Urgent Calls, it's really quite a fun little story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Man, October already. Time to start thinking about Secret Santa things.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Man, October already. Time to start thinking about Secret Santa things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shona, why'd you have to go stalk Arya instead of becoming the new companion :dawkins101:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
drat it, I’ll put up with a Trump/Pence Presidency if it means four seasons of Doctor Who over four years.

Just imagine the revival version of The Happiness Patrol.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CobiWann posted:

drat it, I’ll put up with a Trump/Pence Presidency if it means four seasons of Doctor Who over four years.

Just imagine the revival version of The Happiness Patrol.

The world wouldn't last long enough for them to be made, let alone for you to enjoy them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Shona, why'd you have to go stalk Arya instead of becoming the new companion :dawkins101:

Stalk her all the way to Cardiff

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

This one gave me a sort of Hinchcliffe vibe.

Not surprising, as it was originally written for Tom, to try to entice him to join BF (along with The Stones of Venice and The Holy Terror)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Stalk her all the way to Cardiff

Yeah if she'd stuck around, Arya would have come to her!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Not surprising, as it was originally written for Tom, to try to entice him to join BF (along with The Stones of Venice and The Holy Terror)

Stones of Venice makes so much sense as a 4 story!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BSam posted:

Giving another listen to Urgent Calls, it's really quite a fun little story.

Jerusalem, you should probably relisten to the virus trilogy about now. For... reasons. Especially Urgent Calls. You'll know why soon enough (if you don't already.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Jerusalem, you should probably relisten to the virus trilogy about now. For... reasons. Especially Urgent Calls. You'll know why soon enough (if you don't already.)

I have, the brief write-ups on them are paired with the stories they were bundled with - I enjoyed Urgent Calls and Mission of the Viyrans, and some of The Vanity Box, but I remember Urban Myths not quite working for me. I do dig that they were seeding these stories so early for what would turn out to be (from what I understand) a later explanation/origin.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh, I remember. It's just that it's... not much later, if you get my drift.

EDIT - Listen to Urgent Calls again right after Patient Zero. Trust me on this.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 6, 2016

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I want to say that this thread is the only place I've ever seen your theory, but I also can't quite remember it. Something about Urgent Calls happening during Patient Zero? I haven't heard Patient Zero in ages, but I'm not sure I buy that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
War Doctor 3: Agents of Chaos is up for download. About halfway through the first story; this one is a straight up spy story and it's pretty fun.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Vicki and Steven arguing over narration styles in the opening framing scene of The Suffering is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Vicki and Steven arguing over narration styles in the opening framing scene of The Suffering is the best

Spoiler: Disc 2 is heartbreaking. And shows what a tremendous actor Peter Purves is.

• Locked thread